Nostalgia Thread

Life seemed simpler. Life felt less mundane. You were young with the world at your feet and so much promise.... But you can't go back. They are lost times and moments.Nostalgia affects me a lot more than it should.... I get a nostalgic reaction about things I never experienced myself, it doesn't take much to set me off.

Yeah I remember going to visit people wothout calling before hand. Neighbours were a lot more social.Now technology drives us away from social interraction. People try to get meaningful relationships through facebook.Money not community is the centre of security.But just remember "if you are depressed you are living in the past, if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace you are living in the present"

"Present is the time including all times, each second is eternity as eternity is now, and now is forever."

Henny Penny is alive and well throughout several Newcastle suburbs, however the quality has dipped a bucket load since what i recall was on offer back in the early 70s. Don;t get me started on the decline and fall of takeways...(Big Rooster vs Red Rooster, Taco Amigo etc etc).

Now as for TV nostalgia, for full effect you need to watch the following clip in black and white...

Henny Penny is alive and well throughout several Newcastle suburbs, however the quality has dipped a bucket load since what i recall was on offer back in the early 70s. Don;t get me started on the decline and fall of takeways...(Big Rooster vs Red Rooster, Taco Amigo etc etc).

Now as for TV nostalgia, for full effect you need to watch the following clip in black and white...

"Lancelot Link, whatcha gonna do?" Classic!!!!!!!

My step children, years back ,upon seeing an old b/w movie on Fox ask " What's wrong with the tv? It's not working properly " lol

i remember trying to drive to a place with mates called magnetic mountain many times. It was supposed to be a place near windsor/richmond were your car would gradually via some kind of mystic magnetic field go up the hill on its own. Of course pitch black and without gps units and after many failed attempts of finding the place never actually got to visit it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfb_BBnXFHwI suspect this show heavily influenced who I am today :lol: French/Japanese cartoon about conquistadors/incas.I hadn't seen the show since it aired in the 80s here on the abc in the arvos, got hold of a box set. The incidental music brought back overwhelming memories, absolutely killed me. And I'd forgotten, at the end of each episode there was a mini anthropology/history doco about anything that had come up in the show.

Yeah I got the box set as well. The adventures if Esteban and zia. 'Children of the sun...' LOL. Brought back all the abc cartoon memories, astroboy, inspector gadget, danger mouse, banana man and both versions of voltron

i remember trying to drive to a place with mates called magnetic mountain many times. It was supposed to be a place near windsor/richmond were your car would gradually via some kind of mystic magnetic field go up the hill on its own. Of course pitch black and without gps units and after many failed attempts of finding the place never actually got to visit it.

I remember going there many times with mates. Wasn't sure if it was the magnetic field from the airbase, optical illusion or the sucking on the Orchy bottle which gave the most amazing special effect of being dragged uphill backwards with the car in neutral and handbrake off.

I would really like to go there again someday, if anyone can remember where it was.... This was the 80's after all.... :ninja:

Wow look what I found,, Thanks Tranquilo for reminding me of this..

http://www.eureka4you.com/magnetichillworldwide/Richmond-NSW.htm

I never found it either. Does anyone remember 'moon rise' cpls would go to do the dirty in their car. It turned into a full on hang out until the Olympics came and closed it down.

Most of you youngsters wouldn't remember but we used to have a firecracker night. Some of the stuff you could buy back then was unreal, like throw downs, butterflies, parachutes and 10 ball shooters.  I had numerous close calls :D

Buying crazy jacks in bulk and then spending all night pulling them apart on the kitchen table

1744%20Crazy%20Jacks-250x250.jpg

Life seemed simpler. Life felt less mundane. You were young with the world at your feet and so much promise.... But you can't go back. They are lost times and moments.Nostalgia affects me a lot more than it should.... I get a nostalgic reaction about things I never experienced myself, it doesn't take much to set me off.

Yeah I remember going to visit people wothout calling before hand. Neighbours were a lot more social.Now technology drives us away from social interraction. People try to get meaningful relationships through facebook.Money not community is the centre of security.But just remember "if you are depressed you are living in the past, if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace you are living in the present"

"Present is the time including all times, each second is eternity as eternity is now, and now is forever."

Croar, did you just return from hyperspace on a businessman's lunch trip? Did you meet Terence McKenna there?

Life seemed simpler. Life felt less mundane. You were young with the world at your feet and so much promise.... But you can't go back. They are lost times and moments.

Nostalgia affects me a lot more than it should.... I get a nostalgic reaction about things I never experienced myself, it doesn't take much to set me off.

Ciudadmarron you are not alone! I know the feeling. All too well. I often find myself taking a stroll through the past because the present just does not fill that void. Something seems to be missing but I can't put my finger on it. The past brings memories of feeling happy just to be alive. Everything was exciting. Now I sometimes feel trapped in my own life.

Wow this thread is becoming a therapy session LOL!

Edited by jocosmic

BUT THE BEST BEST BEST ONE, and some of you guys may be a bit old to remember,

Christians eve waiting for Santa. That was the best time of my life and now that I know it has totally ruined Christmas. It made Christmas super special.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfb_BBnXFHwI suspect this show heavily influenced who I am today :lol: French/Japanese cartoon about conquistadors/incas.I hadn't seen the show since it aired in the 80s here on the abc in the arvos, got hold of a box set. The incidental music brought back overwhelming memories, absolutely killed me. And I'd forgotten, at the end of each episode there was a mini anthropology/history doco about anything that had come up in the show.

Yeah I got the box set as well. The adventures if Esteban and zia. 'Children of the sun...' LOL. Brought back all the abc cartoon memories, astroboy, inspector gadget, danger mouse, banana man and both versions of voltron

Ahaha I remember those cartoons - use to tape alot of them!

Anyone remember Ridgey Didge - the game show for kids.

There was another one (or was it Ridgy Didge) where kods you to say "dare, double dare, physical challange!"

Also who could forget "Its a knock out"

There is still a Henny Penny at Raymond terrace.

Okay 80s kids

LOAD"MENU",8,1

LOAD"*",8,1

RUN

or

LOAD"$",8

LIST

International Karate + FTW!!!

And Microprose Soccer

There was a mode where you play Level 1 --> infinity going through all the nations in the world

Oman were Level 1 lol

That's how I knew that country existed when the Socceroos were drawn them a few years ago ("They're only level 1 ffs!!)

Croar, did you just return from hyperspace on a businessman's lunch trip? Did you meet Terence McKenna there?

If by hyperspace you mean my bedroom, and by businessmens lunch trip you mean an egg and aioli sandwich, and by Terence McKenna you mean song lyrics by band Samael, then yes.

ul01.jpg

Holy crap is that Ulysses 31???

Man nearly forgot about that completely. Cheers for bringing that up WOC!

Yeah lol - got it on tape somewhere. Remember the gun that turned into a light saber lol and shield?

I loved the premise - based on the Illiad but set in space.

Edited by westofcentre

There is still a Henny Penny at Raymond terrace.

Okay 80s kids

LOAD"MENU",8,1

LOAD"*",8,1

RUN

or

LOAD"$",8

LIST

International Karate + FTW!!!

And Microprose Soccer

There was a mode where you play Level 1 --> infinity going through all the nations in the world

Oman were Level 1 lol

That's how I knew that country existed when the Socceroos were drawn them a few years ago ("They're only level 1 ffs!!)

I needed menu because all my floppies were pirated with multiple games :lol:

Favourites were blue max, gyruss, up n down, spy hunter, pole position, threshold... Kung fu master... way of the exploding fist, the games series (world games was my favourite)...The list goes on. Playability on those games was through the roof!

A few years back I went back to the family home with the intention of picking up the commodore... Dad had PUT IT ON THE STREET FOR THE COUNCIL COLLECTION the week before. I was gutted.

It belongs in the tip, he says.

"It belongs, in a museum!"

Captain kookaburas road to discovery.

Star blazers. (The spaceship with the massive gun)

The closing credits/theme song of most 80s shows.

Cheers.

Open all hours.

Hanna Barbera cartoons.

21 jump st.

The list goes on and on.