Nostalgia Thread

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Anybody collected football cards/stickers as a kid? I saw an ad for some on google earlier and it reminded me off scrounging around my school for some limited edition Brazilian chunts for my 2006 World Cup stickerbook lol.

We talking panini here?

These ones in particular weren't panini-they were cartoonish caricatures of the players - but I had a few panini brand for euro 2004 IIRC.

Hmmm. Might try and get into it again for the next world cup. Though I feel like the fun of standing around in school corridors during break looking through peoples cards and trading would be quite a substantial loss to the whole experience!

• 2 months later...

20 years ago this week, Wembley heartbreak for the Boro at Wembley in their first ever final, I was there and also heartbroken, but we would finally 'get there' with our first major trophy in 2004, doesn't ******* seem like 20 years ago!!!! What a night we had in Trafalgar Square the night before!!! I left for Europe not long after this and would not go back to Teesside so often from then.

jwr_mga_290317boro3JPG.jpg

Edited by WSWBoro
  • 1 month later...

A bit more football related nostalgia from me, the following is a photo of the Holgate end at Middlesbrough for a FA Cup 5h round game in the early 80's, 37,000 packed in to the small place that day....

image.jpg

The kid stood at the bottom of the fence looking at the camera could be me, exactly where I stood. When I look at this photo I can smell the cigarette smoke, hear the crowd and feel it swaying, I can hear the language as well lol. I know the music that would have been played, the power game as the boro walked out, then hi ho silver lining by Jeff Beck, followed by some Steve Harley / Cockney Rebel and some ELO

It looks like a typical grey and dreek Saturday afternoon of the usual kind....

For big games with a large attendance like this the older kids would always climb and sit on top of the fence. I can hear one of the old bastards behind now shouting at the lads 'get the **** down, can't see the ******* game', to which the lads would give the fingers back...then you would often get a response 'hey, I work with your dad in the steel mill son, I know who you are' lol To which they would flick more fingers.... The lad in the black coat looking back at the crowd could be doing that. The thing is on afternoons like this you could see **** all in the stand so climbing the fence made sense....then a few years later they put spinning barbs along the top of the fence to stop it all and keep people in.

The crowd would sing along to this one...great great simpler times...

Can just remember walking out out of the ground with this playing also and my grandad saying we will pick up some fish n chips on the way home......ahhh take me back!

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Not had any football nostalgia from me for a while...given you all a break  lol

Anyway, been flicking through some old photos again taking me back to some great times when I was a kid and come across the one which takes me right back!

Image result for Ayresome park

This was a very common sight at Boro away games, some lads would often climb the floodlights somehow managing to negotiate lots of barbed wire, spikes and so on! I can still remember now as a kid watching these guys rather than the game and my old man / uncle / grandad telling me stop watching the stupid buggers and watch the game, I used to think they were ******* great and I wanted to be up there lol They went so ******* high! But you have to remember many of the these Boro lads worked in heavy industry such as riggers and were well at home up in that kind of environment.

It was the bastards that took a piss off the top you had to watch out for!

Edited by WSWBoro
  • 2 months later...

An Everly Brothers song was on the radio on the way home today, as there is at times. Today in particular that triggered a series of memories.

I joined a "record club" soon after I started work back in 1965. As a result I bought some LPs I may not have otherwise bought (which is obviously the record club strategy). Those purchases included the Everly Brothers. 

In 1969 I was transferred to Walgett. My first day at work there Armstrong walked on the moon. The manager's residence was attached to the branch in those days. At lunchtime the manager took me into the residence so I could watch the moon walk on TV.

The bank pre-arranged private board accommodation for me with an elderly widow. After a few months I was asked to leave because I too often left the heater on all night after staying up to watch Match of the  Day on Monday nights. I then found private board with a family that were also customers of the bank, where another bank employee was boarding. My bed was on the enclosed verandah. I used to listen to records on my portable record player, including the Everly Brothers and the Righteous Brothers. I still enjoy them to this day. I've still got the albums but haven't used them for yonks.

The laundry waiting to be done for the family of 3 and we 2 boarders was stacked on the floor along an entire wall in the dining area! If you needed particular items you had to give enough notice.

Family arguments and raised voices were regular occurrences. Their son's name was Victor. He was a similar age as me. They called him Vicki. I felt sorry for him. He was real nice guy with no future as things were.

One day the arguments between Vic and his Dad got so bad Vic stormed out and came back later threatening them with a rifle. That triggered another change of residence.

Back then you had to be 21 to get into a club and there wasn't a lot to do.  I wasn't 21 when I started there. The pubs and club imposed segregation. Myself and the other boarder/employee would play darts in one of the pubs in the "mixed" bar on Friday nights.

We also played darts in the backyard of the family mentioned above. We also placed small $1 or $2 bers on the horses at the TAB and listened to the races while we played darts in the backyard. 

In those days Walgett had a half day holiday on Melbourne Cup day and had a local race meeting that afternoon. Usually an employee of another bank held the bag for a bookie on the day. He couldn't do it that year and I filled in. It was the first time I'd been on a racecourse in my life. I'd picked 3 horses to bet on in the cup. The favourite Big Philou got scratched and we were so busy changing bets that I didn't make my own. They came in 1st, 2nd and 3rd! 

I then started working as the penciller for a customer who still operated as a bookie as a hobby just doing local races. So we travelled miles to all the local race meetings in the not so nearby towns. The payments weren't much but it was enjoyable. 

Meanwhile, after more accommodation issues the bank agreed to subsidise my rent in a modern flat recently built in town.

Then another local bookie who did both local and other races at the local meetings took me on as penciller. The reward was greater, I got a nice bonus at the first meeting.

Things were looking really good with the bookie work and the accommodation subsidy. It lasted a whole 2 weeks (1 race meeting) as I was suddenly transferred to Boggabri. That was as a result of mentioning to the regional manager that I missed playing football as there wasn't any in Walgett.

After Boggabri I was transferred to Bega. One day who should walk in but Vic - he had made something of himself and become an ambulance officer and he and his parents were getting on famously. They were so proud of him as well.