Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
tranquilo

Nostalgia Thread

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, marron said:

Yeah, the flares. The skinhead style dates it too. :lol:

 

 

At least back then there was distinctive styles that were part of a movement that involved music and other things, violence included of course...it was intetesting....the music and culture..less so the violence. 

What do we have these days...fat arse women walking around in active wear.

Edited by Erimus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Heh.

I meant more, you could date the age from the look of the fella on the left in particular.

But I agree. "Everyone is an individual" is far less interesting than it sounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

D-Day 75 years on, the old fella's left now in their mid 90's, what a generation. Just listening to an interview with one and he said he just didn't want to let his mates down, each one of them were willing to pay the ultimate price for each other. These guys went across the channel in tiny flat bottom landing craft on a very rough sea, many were sea sick long before getting to the landing ground. Some landing craft didn't get in close enough and the men couldn't touch the bottom when they jumped in the sea, due to weight of their pack they sank to the bottom and drowned. Other men were cut down by machine guns before even getting out of the water. There were constant shells from the navy in the channel whistling over their heads and pounding the German front line, one guy interviewed said it was like running in to the biggest firework storm you could imagine. 6th June 1944 was my Grandad's 33rd birthday and he was in to his 4th year as a POW in Stalag XXB in Marienburg (Malbork) Poland, he wouldn't find out about it for a few days. 

 

d+day.jpg

Edited by Erimus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not sure, but the photo could be one of Robert Capas. Went in armed with a camera only. Took rolls and rolls, sent theM back to New York and some intern exposed them all in processing - only a few bits and pieces made it. 

 

Edit: its not one of his, london, and the story is disputed now apparently. Shame, as it's a good one.

Edited by marron

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Erimus said:

D-Day 75 years on, the old fella's left now in their mid 90's, what a generation. Just listening to an interview with one and he said he just didn't want to let his mates down, each one of them were willing to pay the ultimate price for each other. These guys went across the channel in tiny flat bottom landing craft on a very rough sea, many were sea sick long before getting to the landing ground. Some landing craft didn't get in close enough and the men couldn't touch the bottom when they jumped in the sea, due to weight of their pack they sank to the bottom and drowned. Other men were cut down by machine guns before even getting out of the water. There were constant shells from the navy in the channel whistling over their heads and pounding the German front line, one guy interviewed said it was like running in to the biggest firework storm you could imagine. 6th June 1944 was my Grandad's 33rd birthday and he was in to his 4th year as a POW in Stalag XXB in Marienburg (Malbork) Poland, he wouldn't find out about it for a few days. 

 

d+day.jpg

I wonder how these people like those who charged out of the trenches in WW1, did what they did.

This same group of people set about changing the world and there has been no world war since...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

I wonder how these people like those who charged out of the trenches in WW1, did what they did.

This same group of people set about changing the world and there has been no world war since...

 

Some of those WW1 charges out of the trenches were ridiculous, the Generals in charge were just totally bonkers. Balckadder sums it up well with General Melchett...

How they did it....hard for us to understand. But glad i am at least of a generation that knew grandparents involved and that can remember vets from both conflicts.

Edited by Erimus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This vid captures perfectly the then more carefree and innocent era.

You could argue and maybe rose coloured glasses, This was Australia, 1970's, no MacDonald's, no fat kids.

The clothes, the hair,  making fun out of a bit of a road with a Hill. I see myself or my youth in this vid and a great Aussie song as well.

This Skateboarding was held in the Winter of 1975 near the Coca Cola Factory at Rodborough Rd., Frenchs Forest on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

A gotta watch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Midfielder said:

This vid captures perfectly the then more carefree and innocent era.

You could argue and maybe rose coloured glasses, This was Australia, 1970's, no MacDonald's, no fat kids.

The clothes, the hair,  making fun out of a bit of a road with a Hill. I see myself or my youth in this vid and a great Aussie song as well.

This Skateboarding was held in the Winter of 1975 near the Coca Cola Factory at Rodborough Rd., Frenchs Forest on the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

A gotta watch.

 

There’s more people watching kids skateboarding than spectators at some AL matches! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome vid, I was more of a bmx'er than a skateboarder though.

I do remember skateboard world at Burwood though, what a shop.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been stood on a terrace like this just about on my own. I was bored one week with nothing to do and went to a midweek Darlington away cup game at Chesterfield when Darlo were still in the league, it was a lower division cup game that only the bottom two leagues play in. It was me and a couple of others behind the goal, it started raining and so they let us in the side stand with what home supporters there were in the old wooden seats. No more than a few hundred in the ground.

91d1a97caf0cf977e2ceba02b6b41606.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

051513_2101_nofluffydog50.jpg

Don't remember THB but saw the others a few times at least. Not in effing bondi though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember going to Brickies... a lot actually.. and the Big Chief ... and putting oil on Parramatta Rd to burn tyres... 

 

Edited by Midfielder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Midfielder said:

 

Ah yes , driving around in the old FJ with Kevin n Bob  :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23 June 2019 at 12:58 PM, Midfielder said:

I remember going to Brickies... a lot actually.. and the Big Chief ... and putting oil on Parramatta Rd to burn tyres... 

 

What area were you from ?

My dad was from Greenacre, I heard all about Brickie's from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawks2767 said:

What area were you from ?

My dad was from Greenacre, I heard all about Brickie's from him.

Yennora ... tis near Fairfield... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Yennora ... tis near Fairfield... 

Yep, used to be a hobby shop across from the station called Toyman's. 

Best ive ever seen, was a sad day when that place shut down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hawks2767 said:

Yep, used to be a hobby shop across from the station called Toyman's. 

Best ive ever seen, was a sad day when that place shut down.

I remember it well. Used to buy all my AFX cars n track from there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

I remember it well. Used to buy all my AFX cars n track from there

Romer Parish in the Boro is where every kid took their birthday money to buy a kit  to build or get their subbuteo game, remember buying Airfix plane kits and all sorts. This photo would be early 70's but even before the place closed down in the 80's it never changed, notice not a metal window roll shutter in sight. It was really old school inside, wall stacked with kits and games, old wooden counter, and looks like the kids could get their ciggies also going by the advertising outside :lol: Every kid from Middlesbrough aged around 40 or older would have spent much time in here

RomerParish_zpsc6bd33fd.jpg

Just around the corner was Jack Hatfield sports shop where you got kitted out for whatever sport you were in to, you could get anything in there. I got my cricket bat, footballs, fitted up for football boots, dart, small snooker table....all sorts I bought in there.

Happy times. That photo above I am walking through the door with my birthday money in an envelope, an old musty smell (prob the old fella running the place) and just shelves stacked with stuff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...