Nostalgia Thread

• 3 weeks later...

19th July 1966, so anniversary just yesterday, the day North Korea stunned Italy in the world cup,

See the source image 

With the Korean's wearing Middlesbrough kit the Ayresome crowd got right behind them, one of the biggest world cup shocks to this day. The Italian's went out early and were pelted with tomatoes on their return to Italy. Italians of a certain age shuddered when they recalled this match. During the final season at Ayresome  4 members of the North Korean 1966 team returned to a hero's welcome.

They went all the way to the QF's at Goodison Park (Everton), but were beaten by a Eusebio inspired Portugal that finished 5 - 3.

Edited by Erimus
  • 2 weeks later...

My first bike was a hand-me-down road bike from the kid over the back fence. He lived in sydney with his dad most of the time. The bike was yellow and imprinted with "Inner City Cycles, Glebe Pt Rd" on it. I also got a heap of lego from him. Later I found out I got his stuff because he went to a wild bad school and got into drugs. I later ended up teaching there. :lol:

Then we moved away. My next bike was a cheap chinese BMX bike off a south pacific cargo ship. Still had the road bike, I think, but it was hard for the kind of riding that was required. Yeah, no helmets, mad ****. steep hills, dirt tracks, jumps,  the aforementioned concrete ditches, I LIVED on that bike. I have this vivid memory of my and my mate riding down this steep hill hands off the handlebars doing breakdancing moves, like, the robot or whatever. :lol:  I was also entirely responsible for it - mended punctures, adjusted brakes, the whole bit. Dad showed me the first time anything needed doing and then that was it. Inner tubes were not going to be an option, I reckon after a few years the things were more patch than tube. The roads were coral gravel and there were also these stinging nettle things that were really sharp, it was always in for repairs.

My first bike, the awesome BMX Magnum!!!! I got this for my birthday which was the middle of the summer holls in the UK and I spent every waking hour I could on it. This could actually have been mine because originally it has a yellow padding tube along the horizontal bar under the seat and on the bit where the black handle bars meet the silver part, I got rid of those as they weren't cool around our area. The jumps, tricks and miles I did on this bike, happy days.

See the source image

Edited by Erimus
6 minutes ago, Erimus said:

Sonar, you laugh.....this bike was ******* amazing :D

No offence meant mate....lol

I was just remembering the stuff I used to do as well....made me laugh........:D

My mates dad used to own the Colyton Hotel a few of us would go for a ride through the bush around the area and then after free cokes and ice cream at the pub....good days.

Edited by sonar
18 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Lol - I've never seen you get teary before Smoggy! :lol:

You must have loved that bike! :D

Miles I did on that bike, in summer grab some food and out all day long. Went over the handle bars a few times, I still have a small dent in the skin on my shin to this day from a crash on this bike. Only 1 gear and so hills were bloody hard work, but was built for ramps and tricks rather than long distance, but I did long distance too. 

• 3 weeks later...

Had an Open house yesterday for my mums place. Sitting in the kitchen saying hello to strangers wandering around the place you grew up in was weird . Still , it’s time to move on , the soul of the house , my mum, died when she passed away. Now it’s just a house ,albeit full of memories, good and bad. 

10 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Had an Open house yesterday for my mums place. Sitting in the kitchen saying hello to strangers wandering around the place you grew up in was weird . Still , it’s time to move on , the soul of the house , my mum, died when she passed away. Now it’s just a house ,albeit full of memories, good and bad. 

:grouphug:

On 04/07/2019 at 9:33 PM, Edinburgh said:

Heard tonight at trivia that The Bill (answer to one of the questions!) is coming back to TV

My mum used to watch it religiously until one episode there was some language she didn't approve of used.  She never watched it after that.

I am more of a Magnum P.I. guy myself. When I was a young teen Magnum's life was my dream existence.  Have recently been watching episodes recorded off Fox.  Man they made some corny stuff back in the 80s didn't they?  I still love the main characters though.

29 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Here at my first job this morning, and there’s a white rabbit someones found , in a crate. Takes me back to my childhood n the rabbits we had..... wonder what ever happened to little Stewart...

Had a Korean mate at high school who had a pet rabbit. When it died the family cooked it in a pot for dinner.