Nostalgia Thread

• 4 weeks later...

There are some wonderful articles/stories in the latest Open Road covering the NRMA's 100 year history. I recommend taking a look at more than the page extract above.

Here's another extract with some serious matters in their day that now seem quirky if not downright surprising. 

https://openroadwesternsydney.partica.online/open-road-western-sydney/or0120/flipbook/28/

Here's another extract.  This one mentions Cecil Gregory who, as I've just found out, started the Gregory's Street Directory. Who, like me remembers always having one in your car?

It also mentions the wonderfully useful NRMA strip maps - I think I still have a couple in a map pouch* in my car.

https://openroadwesternsydney.partica.online/open-road-western-sydney/or0120/flipbook/38/

* keeping this is a sentimental thing - it was a gift from my younger sister about 50 years ago and has my name on it. It was well used for several years.

A song came on the radio on the way to the beach yesterday that took me right back to being around 5. I have mentioned before songs that my mum used to play around the house before I started school, there are a number of those and another came on yesterday.

Which got me thinking to how things are today for kids 5 and under. I was the youngest of 3 and so my sisters started school before me and left me at home with my mum. I have reminisced with her about this period and she admits that when it was just me and her for that year or two she loved it, very happy time. We would go and take my sisters to school, then go do some shopping, she might drop me in to a play group for an hour sometimes. Then always the same cafe where she would buy me a cake and a drink and meet up with one of her friends who also had a kid pre school. Then we would head home and make something together (often bread), me stood on a stool and always letting me knead it and giving me an off cut to play with. Then we would put it in the airing cupboard to prove, basically a cupboard with the water boiler in it that heats up the cupboard, perfect for putting bread dough in.Then we might watch something together or go for a walk and collect something, especially if Autumn and lots to collect. I think she was gutted when I started school :D Seriously though I think she was.......

Compared that to today. A baby gets to 6 months to a year old and straight to a nursery. Mothers running out the door frantic with a slice of toast in their mouth. Arrive at the nursery / kindy on their mobile to their boss saying might be a bit late for that meeting whilst shoving their kid through the door.

I know many mothers would prefer to stay home with their kids longer but needs must these days and a double income is now a necessity, its no loner really about choice..women have to work longer and more hours.

This is progress I guess.

Edited by Smoggy
4 minutes ago, marron said:

Gregory's, yeah I remember that,  it was the one where the map numbers made no frigging sense - "yeah, okay dad, just turning the page, we're on map 73.... now... um... 152?" 152 would be triple the scale for some reason  too.

Those were the days when if you got lost you could blame the sat nav in the passengers seat...lol

11 hours ago, Smoggy said:

A song came on the radio on the way to the beach yesterday that took me right back to being around 5. I have mentioned before songs that my mum used to play around the house before I started school, there are a number of those and another came on yesterday.

Which got me thinking to how things are today for kids 5 and under. I was the youngest of 3 and so my sisters started school before me and left me at home with my mum. I have reminisced with her about this period and she admits that when it was just me and her for that year or two she loved it, very happy time. We would go and take my sisters to school, then go do some shopping, she might drop me in to a play group for an hour sometimes. Then always the same cafe where she would buy me a cake and a drink and meet up with one of her friends who also had a kid pre school. Then we would head home and make something together (often bread), me stood on a stool and always letting me knead it and giving me an off cut to play with. Then we would put it in the airing cupboard to prove, basically a cupboard with the water boiler in it that heats up the cupboard, perfect for putting bread dough in.Then we might watch something together or go for a walk and collect something, especially if Autumn and lots to collect. I think she was gutted when I started school :D Seriously though I think she was.......

Compared that to today. A baby gets to 6 months to a year old and straight to a nursery. Mothers running out the door frantic with a slice of toast in their mouth. Arrive at the nursery / kindy on their mobile to their boss saying might be a bit late for that meeting whilst shoving their kid through the door.

I know many mothers would prefer to stay home with their kids longer but needs must these days and a double income is now a necessity, its no loner really about choice..women have to work longer and more hours.

This is progress I guess.

You're lucky to have had such lovely times with your Mum, and to have retained those beautiful, happy memories, Smoggy!

:):)

Games I have attended and got fooking soaked - 

League cup semi final second leg at Old Trafford, an early mark from school (most of the teachers went also), over 10k from the Boro packing out the terrace and seats behind the goal, Fergie said THIS was the loudest ever away following at Old Trafford in his time. Might not look it on the screen but heavy rain all night, blowing in to the terrace behind the goal

Barnsley v Middlesbrough April 1995

Bryan Robson's promotion winning side, absolute deluge and in an old open terrace behind the goal. Totally drenched by the time we headed back to the car

This one of course

And was at this one, although under cover

Edited by Smoggy
  • 1 month later...

My first job was as a apprentice jean cutter at AMCO jeans at Yennora. 

AMCO used to make such cool ads and the ads we made then gave birth to our movie industry as they trained people how to make ads.

Here are a couple of my fav AMCO jean ads.... the music, the song, the effort put into making a good ad was amazing... have a good look at the production quality ...

Just love the beach to farm, to the peace message ... and quite a decent tune.

This one for the travel bug in people this time in colour... again great song and music ...

:lol:

Early life up here, 80s, it was cords (urgh) and trackies I think.

Moved away and i don't think I wore anything but shorts for several years.

early 90s, baggy cargo pants and flanno, then it was jeans all the way, haven't been out of them since.... but I never double denimmed :lol:

What long trousers do you wear smoggy. Not slacks? Surely not..... chinos????

2 hours ago, marron said:

:lol:

Early life up here, 80s, it was cords (urgh) and trackies I think.

Moved away and i don't think I wore anything but shorts for several years.

early 90s, baggy cargo pants and flanno, then it was jeans all the way, haven't been out of them since.... but I never double denimmed :lol:

What long trousers do you wear smoggy. Not slacks? Surely not..... chinos????

Its whatever country road or cotton on sell these days :D

I have you down as an Aaaaatttt Lowes man :D

Edited by Smoggy