Nostalgia Thread

29 minutes ago, marron said:

Haha.

I had Ruud Gullit boots.

It helped me to grow awesome dreads but I still sucked at football.

I thought my pair of Gola boots were dead boss

I remeber my mum and dad taking me to JJB sports in Liverpool to get the three boys the full Everton kit, Gary Linaker White Bib Era. I still sucked at footy. Must have cost a fortune but I think it was beacause we were emigrating.

But I bet Mark Halsal who used to skin me on the playground at St Julie's is probably massively overweight with bad asthma and can't play anymore while I am still gracing the parks of Marrickville with my Tony Hibbert, meets Nikolai Topar-Stanley but without the silky skills style of sexual footy O35s park footy.

Edited by StringerBellend
29 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I thought my pair of Gola boots were dead boss

I remeber my mum and dad taking me to JJB sports in Liverpool to get the three boys the full Everton kit, Gary Linaker White Bib Era. I still sucked at footy. Must have cost a fortune but I think it was beacause we were emigrating.

But I bet Mark Halsal who used to skin me on the playground at St Julie's is probably massively overweight with bad asthma and can't play anymore while I am still gracing the parks of Marrickville with my Tony Hibbert, meets Nikolai Topar-Stanley but without the silky skills style of sexual footy O35s park footy.

Or he is in Liverpool telling anecdotes in his local pub about the shitty football kid he skinned everyday...and people ask 'what ever happened to that geeky kid ':D

Edited by Smoggy
2 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Or he is in Liverpool telling anecdotes in his local pub about the shitty football kid he skinned everyday...and people ask 'what happened to that geeky kid ':D

That’s as maybe I prefer my version though 

Edited by StringerBellend

Might have posted this before but I love this old photo from Boro's old ground, it is how I stood and watched football for a good few years at the start,...want this photo on a man cave wall someday. I am probably stood at the fence just further down...happy times...that small kid with the scarf was basically me. 

Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough | WSC Photography

Edited by Smoggy
30 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Might have posted this before but I love this old photo from Boro's old ground, it is how I stood and watched football for a good few years at the start,...want this photo on a man cave wall someday. I am probably stood at the fence just further down...happy times...that small kid with the scarf was basically me. 

Ayresome Park, Middlesbrough | WSC Photography

What a cracking post.

This is what football is about.

Memories.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hugely significant 51st anniversary today .........

My first day at work at the Bank of NSW in Walgett after being transferred there from Penrith. And after arriving in Walgett the day before after a car journey not without incident.

10 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

My first day at work at the Bank of NSW in Walgett after being transferred there from Penrith. 

So what did you do bad in Penrith to instigate that transfer? ;):P

'what can we do about that Ed lad'? 'Send him to ******* Walgett'....

Edited by Smoggy
34 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

So what did you do bad in Penrith to instigate that transfer? ;):P

'what can we do about that Ed lad'? 'Send him to ******* Walgett'....

Back in those days transfers like that were the norm. After Walgett there was Boggabri, then Bega.

My old grandad would have been 100 this week and still miss him.

He was from Irish stock and looked the part, I could imagine him in New York in the 30's, I think he thought so anyway lol. He always wore a sharp suit and hair always slicked back with brylcreem and had a small comb in the inside pocket of his suit. I caught him a good few times combing his hair back via a reflection in a window and doing that thing where you pat your hair down with the palm of your hand lol I could imagine his hair was quite long for his generation if it wasn't permanently slicked back, but never seen him with a hair out of place or with stubble, always immaculately dressed even if just working in the garden! Lots of men who worked in heavy industry like him tended to be immaculate in that generation.

Everyone knew him in that area of town, everyone we passed on our walks said hello to him. The guy in the shop would always have his ciggies and paper ready for him and they would chat for ages while I read the comics. 

I never heard him raise his voice or get angry with anyone, certainly never with me, he was always calm and never seen him panic or get flustered about anything. He was church warden and everyone who wanted to arrange a funeral, wedding or christening went through him first. A massive Labour man but never really that politically outspoken as tended to let others talk but when he did talk everyone listened. A member of the working mens club in which he had his own seating area and arranged the annual summer outing which I went on sometimes and was the youngest on the bus by about 50 years lol Didn't bother me as when the bus arrived at the destination (usually on the coast) it coincided with pub opening time. All the men would march off the the pub and the women to the bingo and he would give me a few quid to get a bag of chips, an ice cream and play in the arcades all afternoon, I had a great time. He would drink a fair bit but never seen him properly drunk, wouldn't let people see him like that.

Loved his football of course and spent many happy hours stood on the terraces with him, always getting a bag of chips on the way home. The estate he lived on was a rough arse housing commission estate where just about everything was vandalised. However there in the middle of that estate was his house looking perfect, with the roses he tended obsessively, no one ever touched the place..... that is a form of respect right there in that kind of area lol

Being his grandson meant something due to the respect he had in the community, miss him still, happy times.

9 hours ago, wendybr said:

That's a beautiful tribute to your grandad Smoggy....not the first time you've spoken affectionately of him, I think.

He sounds like a great role model to have grown up with.

😊😊

Oh..and if anyone did anything wrong he would smash their knee caps with a hammer......

Ahhh not really...but did wonder...the only person that ever annoyed him was my dad :D But he annoys everyone.

Edited by Smoggy
On 13/06/2020 at 7:25 PM, Paul01 said:

Had none of the nice gear but I remember going to Marconi to watch First grade against teams like Yugal-Prague. The change rooms were in a tin shed. And the match officials had to lock themselves in the change rooms with the Yugal fans unhappy at losing.

I remember those days...

My favorite Marconi story was I think the early to mid 90's this was at Marconi stadium.

Marconi were a gun team, and went to watch them play Newcastle Breakers I think or could have been rose buds nay breakers...

Anywho it had been throwing it down all day and it was cold as... so to keep warm we smuggled in a bottle of Johnny Walker Red in coffee flask's with coke...

During the match it started one of those down pours when the heavens themselves open up and it hoses down..

This is the position Marconi playing out from their back third try and play the ball forward but it keeps stopping in puddles forming all over the pitch.

The match seems to be being playing say 20 meters either side of the half way line... constant mistakes nothing on the ground would travel and balls in teh air almost stopped when they landed with a splash.

Marconi make a break and then loose the ball just inside the Newcastle penalty box, Marconi have few players forward and most back towards half way.

The Newcastle center back [used to be called stoppers]  must have said to himself F it I am going to belt this ball down field and the forwards can run it down...

BTW I was going for Newcastle...

No one chases the ball down, the rain by now is becoming blinding...

Then two things at opposite ends of the pitch happen at the same time...

The Newcastle goalie moves out to the edge of his box.

The Marconi goalie decides anything a Newcastle stopper can do I can do better so just inside his box and no Newcastle player anywhere near him he belts the ball for the Marconi players to chase down... as the ball sails over their heads the Marconi players similar to the Newcastle players don't seem to want to chase the ball down..

The next bit ... the ball is flying high almost like a rugby up and under punt kick... so the Newcastle stopper or centre back lets the ball fly thu to the keeper...

The ball lands just past the edge of the circle inside the Newcastle half...

The ball lands in this huge puddle and skips off the water similar to a stone... flys high in the air and sails high over the Newcastle Keeper stranded on the edge of his box and into the goal and Marconi won the match 1 nil...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was digging out the wardrobe yesterday and came across my old running medals, showed them to my son and he put them on. Great memories of the banter running around the road routes. You would rend to run in sync with certain people and for the few hours the people around you chatted and encouraged those struggling, banter from the spectators also...happy times.

See the source image