Favourite Monty Python Scenes

Watched a few episodes on the ABC back in 1974/75, from the John Cleese-less 'Monty Python' fourth series (Palin, Chapman, Jones,, Gilliam and Idle dropped the 'Flying Circus' part). Then got into them with more passion via my love for Spike Milligan and The Goodies (the former inspiring MPFC and the latter performed with the Pythons in the 60s). By 1979 when Life of Brian came out I was an addict. Could regale you with lots of trivia, history, quotes etc from the world of MPFC (for example Python recorded two German episodes before Holy Grail was released, with them delivering their lines phonetically in Deutsch, or Terry Jones is an esteemed medievalist who has written literary criticism about The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer), but my biggest Python experience...meeting Michael Palin.

Oh come on Manfred...you can't just leave it at that!!!  Details??

Wow just remembered I had this:

the-brand-new-monty-python-papperbok-Cov

I leant it to a friend and never got it back.

This was one of my favourite bits in it:

bloody_hands_by_cutywuty33-d4n3j5t.jpg

I remember it!!  You always take that risk when you lend someone a book lol!!

Watched a few episodes on the ABC back in 1974/75, from the John Cleese-less 'Monty Python' fourth series (Palin, Chapman, Jones,, Gilliam and Idle dropped the 'Flying Circus' part). Then got into them with more passion via my love for Spike Milligan and The Goodies (the former inspiring MPFC and the latter performed with the Pythons in the 60s). By 1979 when Life of Brian came out I was an addict. Could regale you with lots of trivia, history, quotes etc from the world of MPFC (for example Python recorded two German episodes before Holy Grail was released, with them delivering their lines phonetically in Deutsch, or Terry Jones is an esteemed medievalist who has written literary criticism about The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer), but my biggest Python experience...meeting Michael Palin.

Oh come on Manfred...you can't just leave it at that!!!  Details??

Wow just remembered I had this:

the-brand-new-monty-python-papperbok-Cov

I leant it to a friend and never got it back.

This was one of my favourite bits in it:

bloody_hands_by_cutywuty33-d4n3j5t.jpg

I remember it!!  You always take that risk when you lend someone a book lol!!

Ah, the Brand New Monty Python Papperbok...my copy is safe and sound in my personal MP library .

Other significant volumes/recommended readings:

• The three movie script books (Holy Grail; includes additional material written but not included in the film, Life of Brian; very similar but with even more non-film stuff; and Meaning of Life which is just the script)
  • The two volume TV script collection (which might be available in a single paperback nowadays)
  • Monty Python Speaks by David Morgan...quotes and interview material from all members of MPFC plus other major associated people
  • Monty Python Encyclopaedia by Robert Ross...hundreds of articles about almost all the Python history etc up to 1997
  • A Liar's Autobiography by the late Graham Chapman...filled with lies, truths and who the **** knows, a must have for the Python addict. Also made into a film last year with all remaining Pythons voicing dialogue
  • Monty Python's Big Red Book (which is little and in blue)...one of Eric Idle's edited publications of MP material
  • The Pythons: Autobiography...huge coffee table book with a wealth of photos, text etc
  • Ripping Yarns script books by Michael Palin & Terry Jones
  • Dr Fegg's Encyclopaedia of All World Knowledge...also by MP and TJ, and a bit like a precursor to 'Horrible Histories'
  • Both of Michael Palin's diaries books
  • Hello Sailor...a novel by Eric Idle with some autobiographical content

And for the whole Oxbridge comedy history up to 1980, covering the Pythons, Goodies, Peter Cook & Dudley Moore, 'From Fringe to Flying Circus'. Rarely bettered as a source book and guide to  the hows, whats, and whys of MPFC.

Now as for meeting Michael Palin, I caught up with him at a book signing and we talked about his film 'American Friends' which was based on on of his relatives' life in the 19th century. If you haven't seen it please do, alongside 'The Missionary'

• 2 months later...

Onya Carns!!  This reminds me that, a few weeks ago, I introduced Python to one of our Yr 12 students. He is a young guy with Aspergers Syndrome, along with some other issues.  He has huge family problems as well.   He is HIGHLY serious and HIGHLY anxious about pretty much everything. He had come to me to discuss a rather frightening panic attack he had experienced the night before.

Having worked closely with him for five and a half years, it occurred to me that in ALL my time with him, I had NEVER seen him laugh. Smile (in a hesitant and nervous manner) -yes, but laugh out loud -never!!  He was too agitated to go to class, so I decided to show him some Python to see if he could "get it",  and if he could actually relax enough to laugh...and learn the benefit of laughter as a way to relax!

We watched the 'Dead Parrot" sketch, the "Upper Class Twit of the Year" and the "Black Knight" sketch amongst others.  I heard him actually laugh out loud for the first time- magic!! 

I'm hoping that he might take from that a self-soothing strategy for when his anxieties start to overwhelm him. Humour is certainly one way to seek relief from anxiety...and can help a person to "self-soothe"  in a harm-free way.

Monty Python is timeless....and priceless!!

Onya Carns!!  This reminds me that, a few weeks ago, I introduced Python to one of our Yr 12 students. He is a young guy with Aspergers Syndrome, along with some other issues.  He has huge family problems as well.   He is HIGHLY serious and HIGHLY anxious about pretty much everything. He had come to me to discuss a rather frightening panic attack he had experienced the night before.

Having worked closely with him for five and a half years, it occurred to me that in ALL my time with him, I had NEVER seen him laugh. Smile (in a hesitant and nervous manner) -yes, but laugh out loud -never!!  He was too agitated to go to class, so I decided to show him some Python to see if he could "get it",  and if he could actually relax enough to laugh...and learn the benefit of laughter as a way to relax!

We watched the 'Dead Parrot" sketch, the "Upper Class Twit of the Year" and the "Black Knight" sketch amongst others.  I heard him actually laugh out loud for the first time- magic!! 

I'm hoping that he might take from that a self-soothing strategy for when his anxieties start to overwhelm him. Humour is certainly one way to seek relief from anxiety...and can help a person to "self-soothe"  in a harm-free way.

Monty Python is timeless....and priceless!!

Your batman.

That's great Wendy! If he is an intelligent kid (as many with Asperger's are), he will love it.

Any coping mechanisms that he can develop will put him in good steed, and if Python helps with that, even better. I am just wary that when I myself suffer from anxiety issues (nowhere near panic attack levels), the last thing that I consider is humour. Not saying it isn't a worthwhile endeavour, just it is something that, for me, is forgotten at the height of anxiety.

Here is a highly inappropriate scene to show him next :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNjcSF_OKFM

^^^^^    The idea of recognising  "self soothing" strategies is a pretty positive one.  Kids at school who have had treatment for severe anxieties etc have introduced me to this concept.

I guess many people turn to drugs, alcohol and other types of "self medication", but they might be better served by having  a repertoire of more healthy "calming"  strategies - exercise and humour maybe being good choices to try?

^^^^^    The idea of recognising  "self soothing" strategies is a pretty positive one.  Kids at school who have had treatment for severe anxieties etc have introduced me to this concept.

I guess many people turn to drugs, alcohol and other types of "self medication", but they might be better served by having  a repertoire of more healthy "calming"  strategies - exercise and humour maybe being good choices to try?

I wish I had more teachers like you when I was at school.

I know I've used various methods to self medicate, some much healthier than others. As you know, it is just about discovering what works best for the individual and recognising the triggers.

Beyond that, introducing somebody to something as awesome as Python is it's own reward.

^^^^^ The idea of recognising "self soothing" strategies is a pretty positive one. Kids at school who have had treatment for severe anxieties etc have introduced me to this concept.

I guess many people turn to drugs, alcohol and other types of "self medication", but they might be better served by having a repertoire of more healthy "calming" strategies - exercise and humour maybe being good choices to try?

Wendy actually taught me English in year 8 or 9. I can honestly say she was one of the better ones, even if we tormented her fairly regularly (as teenage boys are wont to do).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ykdteec8SPE

Edited by Carns

I know I've used various methods to self medicate, some much healthier than others. As you know, it is just about discovering what works best for the individual and recognising the triggers.

Beyond that, introducing somebody to something as awesome as Python is it's own reward.

^^^^^ The idea of recognising "self soothing" strategies is a pretty positive one. Kids at school who have had treatment for severe anxieties etc have introduced me to this concept.

I guess many people turn to drugs, alcohol and other types of "self medication", but they might be better served by having a repertoire of more healthy "calming" strategies - exercise and humour maybe being good choices to try?

Wendy actually taught me English in year 8 or 9. I can honestly say she was one of the better ones, even if we tormented her fairly regularly (as teenage boys are wont to do).

Hahaha...   That's why  my memories of you Mr C are all of our conversations outside the classroom- probably at recess or lunchtime!!

Ron Obvious...

There's a lot to like about this sketch, partly due to the reappearance of Michael Palin's Luigi Vercotti, as well as the obvious links between the style and content of the skit with The Goons. The simply nonsensical efforts for Ron to do things like eating Winchester Cathedral is straight Millganese, and you could swap Luigi with Moriarty and Grytpype-Thynne and Ron with Neddy and the comedy would be just the same.

• 3 months later...

I've got the DVD collection which has all the episodes and movies.

A lot of my favourites have already been posted, but here are some more.

Travel agent sketch 

Restaurant sketch

Lifeboat / Cannibalism / Undertaker

• 4 weeks later...

A few notes re the Pythons...I went and saw their filmed version of Monty Python Live (Almost) at the Riverside a couple of weeks back and I am a little sorry to say it was rather ordinary and mostly not that funny. Okay, admittedly I am nitpicking a little as I've seen all the TV shows and movies umpteen times, plus with the troupe being mostly in their late 60s/early 70s its well nigh impossible for them to have the same capabilities to bang out their material with the same verve and originality as seen 30-40 years ago. I guess my problem is that it was very akin to one of those 'Hey, legendary band x have got back together and are touring after 30 years'...the  creative spark was dulled by the apparent need for or interest in a big pay day.

Don't get me wrong...I will always be a Python addict but sometimes folk have to say that certain things are best left in the past.

And now for something completely different...RAF Banter

Late to this one! Love the Python stuff, 

My favourite sketch (being an expat Yorkshireman) has to be the Yorkshireman sketch  :D

Reminds me so much of the discussions my grandfather,father and uncle use to have................. 'you don;t know your born.... when I were a lad.. blah blah blah lol

The other one is from the Life of Brian, Michael Palin at his best -crucifixion.. right.. one cross each,  wlease wodger  :D wome is your fwend  :D

Edited by WSWBoro

IMO There's a lot to kind of envy about people of other cultures...eg food.....

But, as someone with a totally English and Scottish heritage, there are few things to be  more grateful for (about being of British heritage)  than having access to the British sense of humour...as typified but Python.    :crazy:  :crazy:

World would be a better place if everyone on the planet had a  sense of humour!!

I can't believe no one has posted this one yet :)

Must say that whilst the Cheese Shop sketch is good, it's indicative of a fair bit of Season Three material from Cleese in that it repeats a previous series sketch in theme and format if not in content (i.e. the Dead Parrot Sketch). Don't get me wrong, it is funny (and I suspect that the bouzouki players was an element added by JC's writing partner Graham Chapman, who was very fond of the non sequitor). Yet the central idea of the sketch, a customer failing to get what he wants, made more hyperbolic through the use of a long recitation of cheese types, is no different to the Dead Parrot.

If there is one leitmotif in Cleese's work not just in Python but almost through his entire career it's frustration. Oh and anger. Anger and frustration. And middle class unhappiness. Anger, frustration, middle class unhappiness and a ruthless devotion to the Pope.

Oh bugger it, Ill come in again.

Must say that whilst the Cheese Shop sketch is good, it's indicative of a fair bit of Season Three material from Cleese in that it repeats a previous series sketch in theme and format if not in content (i.e. the Dead Parrot Sketch). Don't get me wrong, it is funny (and I suspect that the bouzouki players was an element added by JC's writing partner Graham Chapman, who was very fond of the non sequitor). Yet the central idea of the sketch, a customer failing to get what he wants, made more hyperbolic through the use of a long recitation of cheese types, is no different to the Dead Parrot.

If there is one leitmotif in Cleese's work not just in Python but almost through his entire career it's frustration. Oh and anger. Anger and frustration. And middle class unhappiness. Anger, frustration, middle class unhappiness and a ruthless devotion to the Pope.

Oh bugger it, Ill come in again.

:rofl:  :hi: Manfred!!!!