Favourite Monty Python Scenes

I heard Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush on the radio today and it reminded me of this:

ahhhhhh Kate Bush  :wub: Many of my mates (including me  :blush: ) had her poster on the bedroom wall  :D

If you don't know how hot she was back in the mid 80's go and google a few photos.

My favourite along with Susanna Hoffs  :wub:

Great to see Kate making a come back

Edited by WSWBoro

I know the Pythons are perhaps not entirely happy with 'Meaning of Life', however for me it is some of their best work ever. All the attention goes to Mr Creosote at the end, and 'Every Sperm is Sacred', but the Organ Donor sketch is an all time classic. A lot can be said in favour of 'the machine that goes ping', and the WW1 sketch is archetypal Palin and Jones writing. 

And now for something completely different...one of the most important forerunners to 'Monty Python', 'At Last the 1948 Show':

http://youtu.be/-a-DsIo81e8

• 2 months later...

Got a ticket to Michael Palin live on stage at the state theatre next February.

Oooh...sounds interesting. Met MP years ago and he is very affable & disarming, so you should have a good time. Only drawback is the seating at the State Theatre...shitty old leather seats that are as comfortable as Ali Abbas at a La Rocca family reunion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Oooh...sounds interesting. Met MP years ago and he is very affable & disarming, so you should have a good time. Only drawback is the seating at the State Theatre...shitty old leather seats that are as comfortable as Ali Abbas at a La Rocca family reunion.

Yeah I have met Palin also, at Chatswood shopping centre on Thursday night around 10 years ago when he was at an ABC centre promoting a new book. Very nice guy and easy to talk to, picked up on my accent straight away and he put on an even thicker Yorkshire accent whilst we chatted  :D Other people were like WTF lol

Loves his football also, he is a big Sheffield United fan. :good:

Edited by WSWBoro

Yeah I have met Palin also, at Chatswood shopping centre on Thursday night around 10 years ago when he was at an ABC centre promoting a new book. Very nice guy and easy to talk to, picked up on my accent straight away and he put on an even thicker Yorkshire accent whilst we chatted  :D Other people were like WTF lol

Loves his football also, he is a big Sheffield United fan. :good:

Poor bastard had a thing for Heart..

1383039972_9458.jpg

Seriously though, for decades he's been my fave Python, not necessarily because of his personality, but more so because of his sense of the Goonish absurd. It's MP who talks up the Fish Slapping dance as his favourite Python sketch of all time, which if you analyse it is arguably the most illogical yet funniest 1 minute of Python ever. He also has an ability to actually act, not just perform, viz his work in films like 'The Missionary', 'Brazil' and 'American Friends'.

And whilst not denigrating the importance or quality of the work done by his collaborator Terry Jones, the work he did in 'Ripping Yarns' was simply wonderful. 'Tomkinsons' Schooldays', 'Golden Gordon', 'Across the Andes By Frog', 'Escape from Stalag Luft 112B' and his all time greatest single TV work 'The Testing of Eric Olthwaite'...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Thanks Manfred

PS Did you notice the item I posted ages back -the original 4 Yorkshiremen sketch... 6-7 posts above this.

You've no doubt seen it before??

Yes, saw the Four Yorkshiremans...a classic.

If anyone is interested in the careers of the Pythons it's well worth while checking out 'At Last The 1948', with the input of Chapman, Cleese and future Goodie Tim Brooke-Taylor there (who of course all performed together as part of Cambridge Footlights plus wrote and performed on 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again', the long running BBC radio sketch show). To counterbalance that there's a good DVD available of 'Do Not Adjust Your Set', which had the remaining Pythons together (i.e. Palin, Jones, Idle, and in the second series, Gilliam).

:lol:  :lol:  :lol: Thanks Manfred

PS Did you notice the item I posted ages back -the original 4 Yorkshiremen sketch... 6-7 posts above this.

You've no doubt seen it before??

Yes, saw the Four Yorkshiremans...a classic.

If anyone is interested in the careers of the Pythons it's well worth while checking out 'At Last The 1948', with the input of Chapman, Cleese and future Goodie Tim Brooke-Taylor there (who of course all performed together as part of Cambridge Footlights plus wrote and performed on 'I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again', the long running BBC radio sketch show). To counterbalance that there's a good DVD available of 'Do Not Adjust Your Set', which had the remaining Pythons together (i.e. Palin, Jones, Idle, and in the second series, Gilliam).

Rumor has it that Tim Brooke - Taylor got this shits with the Pythons because he felt that he should have been included in the group but was left out. Personally the right call to leave him out.

Palin has just been in a serious BBC role in show called 'Remember me' which is a ghost story type thing set in Yorkshire. I watched it on the BBC iplayer, Palin was good but the story was a bit naff. I would give it miss.,

But here the trailer of Palin's latest work 

Edited by WSWBoro

Interesting thoughts there Boro re Tim Brooke Taylor & Python.

I personally don't think there would be any enmity between him and the rest of the guys who went on to be in Python, as his style of performance was not really in the Pythonesque genre by the time Cleese, Chapman, Idle, Jones, Palin & Gilliam started up MPFC in late 69. TBT was already working up an association with his fellow ex-Footlights mates Bill Oddie and Graham Garden through ISIRTA, as well as 'Broaden Your Mind'. Plus TBT was not as confident in his own writing skills, which probably would've been utterly overwhelmed in the very competitive atmosphere of the MPFC writing process. Brooke-Taylor went on to leave most of the Goodies writing to Garden and Chapman, which to my mind indicates he was comedically never going to be part of the Circus.

Has to be said that the foundation of the Pythons was very much a process kicked off by Barry Took and John Cleese, with an almost haphazard or unplanned scheme. Palin and Jones were invited to join Clese and Chapman after the failure of their ATV series 'The Complete and Utter history of Britain' (JC said apparently 'Well you won't be doing that kind of thing again' to MP). Then Palin & Jones asked if Idle could join and Gilliam tagged along as well. From my readings in books like Roger Wilmuts 'From Fringe to Flying Circus', and the doco series 'Monty Python: Almost The Truth' I can;t recall TBT ever figuring in the set up of the Flyng Circus.

• 2 weeks later...

Just saw this on the tele.

Can't say I remember it...or remember it being posted here, altho I could be wrong about that..

It gave me  a giggle.... so, so silly!

Great pick up Wendy...and one of the better sketches from the fourth season (which might be the reason why you don't remember it). The fourth season (which was without Cleese and went without the 'Flying Circus' name) was the series that flew under the radar due to its brevity (only six episodes) and the uneven nature of the shows. 'Light Entertainment War' is probably the best, though I quite like the Montgolfier Brothers in the first episode of the season:

• 3 weeks later...

The Michael Palin show was on at the state theatre last night. Went for roughly two and a bit hours with a short interval.

It was a q&a style show with Adam Spencer on stage asking questions. The answers seem half rehearsed, I guess he's been asked similar questions many times before, but it came across well. He was funny at the right times, seemed genuinely charming and spoke well.

The first part went over his travel shows, and ended with a lumberjack singalong, with the second dedicated to Python.

The Michael Palin show was on at the state theatre last night. Went for roughly two and a bit hours with a short interval.

It was a q&a style show with Adam Spencer on stage asking questions. The answers seem half rehearsed, I guess he's been asked similar questions many times before, but it came across well. He was funny at the right times, seemed genuinely charming and spoke well.

The first part went over his travel shows, and ended with a lumberjack singalong, with the second dedicated to Python.

Sounds enjoyable and worth going except for one thing.

Can't stand fookin Adam Fookin Spencer

Sounds enjoyable and worth going except for one thing.

Now I can like this!

Sorry Wendy, but Spencer is a twat. The way he used to bang on and fookin on about his family and about the Swans. 

When I woke up and turned on the radio the last thing I needed was his prattle about his daughter or whatever else was occupying his own little world. Now if they brought back this guy I might actually listen to brekkie radio:

I felt like sometimes during the night he tried to steal the limelight, which is not something an interviewer should do.

He was overbearing in the singalongs (Lumberjack to end part 1 and Always Look On The Bright Side of Life to end the night) and was too involved in some fish slapping on stage with an audience member.

I felt like sometimes during the night he tried to steal the limelight, which is not something an interviewer should do.

He was overbearing in the singalongs (Lumberjack to end part 1 and Always Look On The Bright Side of Life to end the night) and was too involved in some fish slapping on stage with an audience member.

That's exactly the sort of thing I suspected he would be capable of.

I've seen a couple of these events where someone gets 'interviewed' on stage, such as Anthony Bourdain and William Shatner, and the host's role is to simply start the dialogue and then get out of the way, with perhaps a couple of verbal nudges if things meander. Of course it helps when the 'interviewee' is a quality raconteur, and having seen Palin do this kind of stuff for decades then that shouldn't be a problem.

Glad you got a lot out of it anyway Kitto

SBS will be showing the Meaning of Life and Live from the Hollywood Bowl back to back from 8:30pm tonight.

Oh that one little letter Pseuds...

'Meaning of Live' was wonderful stuff...a great behind the scenes documentary about the boys shows in London last year. Really enjoyed it, especially with the archival footage and photos. I wasn't that enamored with the actual concert film of the live show, but this doco redeemed it and then some.

And the follow up with 'Monty Python Live at Hollywood Bowl...great stuff. I remember going to see that when first released in 1982, and whilst it looks dated now it still has some funny moments...

Michael Palin mentioned one scene that got cut from the Life of Brian was calling up a restaurant to book a table for the last supper, and giving all kinds of reasons why they couldn't fulfill the booking.

"No you can't have everyone on one table, OHS regulations."

Live at the Hollywood Bowl.... have not seen that for some time.