Favourite Monty Python Scenes

Michael Palin mentioned one scene that got cut from the Life of Brian was calling up a restaurant to book a table for the last supper, and giving all kinds of reasons why they couldn't fulfill the booking.

"No you can't have everyone on one table, OHS regulations."

Live at the Hollywood Bowl.... have not seen that for some time.

There's several scenes that were left out of the final script that are in the book of Life of Brian, including one with Joseph talking to Mary about how she got pregnant. But the biggest cut that was made after filming finished was when Otto turned up with his crack suicide squad. In the movie that was released as the final version his troops are called the Judean People's Front. However originally Otto is portrayed as a Neo-Nazi Jewish extremist who wants to put the Sarmaritans into camps. All this is in the script however it was cut, making the final sequence a bit out of whack.

Both Holy Grail and Life of Brian books have significant segments showing draft script material that never got into the films. For some reason Meaning of Life's book bucks that trend

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got reminded of this sketch yesterday...

Great sketch that, and when analysed it's quite simple. It's what a writer by the name of Roger Wilmut would call a 'format sketch' (the others typical of MPFC being an escalation sketch and a reversal sketch...the former shown in 'The World's Funniest Joke' where a comedic concept starts off and then builds to a logically illogical humorous ending, and the latter being say 'Hell's Grannies'). 'The Mouse Problem' takes a traditional format (in this case an expose on crime from a current affairs TV show) and empties it out, filling it with a ridiculous idea. All the traditional tropes are there (e.g. the supposed expert, the hidden camera footage, the self-confessed Joe Public), so you can get even more humour when you juxtapose the sketch with something like the real thing.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Extremely disappointed in the Cleese & Idle show I saw last night whilst down in Canberra. So irked at it (admittedly partly due to other issues) I walked out during the intermission. For the cost (over $100 for a very average seat) I got to see EC & JC talk about the same personal histories that have been documented in books and TV shows since at least 1980, redo the same sketches you can find on any good DVD of their old shows like '...Python' or 'At Last The 1948 Show', and even recycle jokes I saw in their 'Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl' film from 1982 ('American beer is like making love in a canoe, coz it's fooking near water).

If you came in having only just discovered Python, John C and Eric I then maybe you would enjoy it. Also, if you find endless regurgitation of the same routines you've watched for the last 20-30-40-50 years, done by two old men who have pocketed a good chunk of cash for their efforts, entertaining then sure, go. But if you have any deeper or abiding love of the wit, humour and originality of Cleese, Idle and the rest...steer clear

Extremely disappointed in the Cleese & Idle show I saw last night whilst down in Canberra. So irked at it (admittedly partly due to other issues) I walked out during the intermission. For the cost (over $100 for a very average seat) I got to see EC & JC talk about the same personal histories that have been documented in books and TV shows since at least 1980, redo the same sketches you can find on any good DVD of their old shows like '...Python' or 'At Last The 1948 Show', and even recycle jokes I saw in their 'Monty Python Live at the Hollywood Bowl' film from 1982 ('American beer is like making love in a canoe, coz it's fooking near water).

If you came in having only just discovered Python, John C and Eric I then maybe you would enjoy it. Also, if you find endless regurgitation of the same routines you've watched for the last 20-30-40-50 years, done by two old men who have pocketed a good chunk of cash for their efforts, entertaining then sure, go. But if you have any deeper or abiding love of the wit, humour and originality of Cleese, Idle and the rest...steer clear

That's a shame. I'm going next Tuesday.

That's a shame. I'm going next Tuesday.

Sorry if I've rained on your parade a bit there K....you can take what I said with two huge fücking lumps of NaCl. First off I wasn't really in the mood for the show, with the added wrinkle of running late & having hassles getting into the show. Secondly I've been consuming everything Monty Python related since about 1979. From The doco series about their history, umpteen books, al the original shows on DVD etc, meeting Palin...I'm not one if your card carrying every line quoting Python geeks, but I have heard or seen more than most when it comes to their work. I wanted the two icons to do more than have a leisurely love-in repeating well worn tropes and reciting an abbreviated history that I already knew. My attitude was wrong perhaps, and I do hope you enjoy

When I seen this advertised, I thought hmmmmm, Cleese whilst immensely talented can be a miserable bastard at the best of times, depending on which way the wind is blowing on any given day will determine what you get. Eric Idle is well known for his tightness when it comes to money, he would regurgitate any old shite at limited effort if the price was right, have been many comments regarding Eric and this kind of attitude over the years from fellow Pytons, from what I understand he was often the least popular within the group.

This event needed Cleese, but a Cleese - Palin - Jones combination would have been more entertaining in my opinion. Palin is a great raconteur, probably the best of the lot of them and has so many little snippets from his diaries that are not so well known. Palin along with Jones wrote the fantastic 'Ripping Yarns' together post Python and play well off each other.

Cleese and Idle for me whilst VERY talented, just those two is not a great combination in my opinion.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

One of my all time favorites lol Tungsten carbide drills, what the bloody hells tungsten carbide drills lol...working class playright ...'you had to go poncing off to Barnsley'  :D 'You know what he is like after a few novels', so many great lines in one short sketch

Edited by WSWBoro
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...