Anthem/Walk Out Song - 5/10 minutes prior to kickoff

Which one do you like the best  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like the best

• Wanderers Rise Up
    • We are Wanderers
    • Glorious
    • Fear of the Red & Black
    • Western Sydney to Hallelujah (leonard Cohen)
    • These colours unite us all
    • Exit Row - Welcome to our Wanderland
    • The Presets - My People
    • Rancid - If the kids are united
    • Nothing.
  2. 2. Should we replace 5-10mins prior to kickoff

• Current music + PA over shadowing the RBB
    • First current music then RBB singing
    • First the RBB singing then into Anthem/Walkout Song
    • Current Music then into Anthem/Walkout Song
    • No PA/music at all.
  3. 3. Do you want an Anthem/Walkout Song?

• Yes
    • No

I want the pa shut off.

Then I don't want to try and find something, I want it just to bubble out organically. The rbb will eventually start doing something that just gets the whole crowd going that is anthemic. And that's our walkout anthem.

You can't create tradition. It has to happen on its own. It will.

No need to stop coming up with ideas for things for the rbb to sing at that point but I just don't feel we need to force the issue, or like take a vote and expect that to be it.

But first, shutdown the pa. That will be the only way for something to develop.

Is it possible to add a "pa off, rbb on" option?

Edited by ciudadmarron

I want the pa shut off.

Then I don't want to try and find something, I want it just to bubble out organically. The rbb will eventually start doing something that just gets the whole crowd going that is anthemic. And that's our walkout anthem.

No need to stop coming up with ideas for things for the rbb to sing at that point but I just don't feel we need to force the issue, or like take a vote and expect that to be it.

Agree and ill add it to the vote as an option

My only qualm with that is that it is the RBB who choose the anthem instead of it being a club wide decision. The other thing that you have to understand is that it starts somewhere, it's like the lights thing it started with some random in Facebook suggesting it and then it just took off on game day! Nothing to suggest that we can't be those ransoms that get this going in the right direction

I want the pa shut off.

My only qualm with that is that it is the RBB who choose the anthem instead of it being a club wide decision. The other thing that you have to understand is that it starts somewhere, it's like the lights thing it started with some random in Facebook suggesting it and then it just took off on game day! Nothing to suggest that we can't be those ransoms that get this going in the right direction

Yes, so we keep coming up with ideas, and things getvtried, fine... But I think we need to shed the expectation that we must have one soon.

The other thing is, it will be the active supporters who lead the way... That's not to stop others suggesting things in here or at the roxy or wherever or trying something in their own bay.

I view the lights as being a pretty organic thing btw.

Yes, so we keep coming up with ideas, and things getvtried, fine... But I think we need to shed the expectation that we must have one soon.

The other thing is, it will be the active supporters who lead the way... That's not to stop others suggesting things in here or at the roxy or wherever or trying something in their own bay.

I view the lights as being a pretty organic thing btw.

This thread was not created so we have a walk out song tomorrow, it was created so we can get all our ideas together in one spot, discuss, argue, talk all things walk out, maybe not this season but maybe this time next year we can start putting some ideas into practice.

I have no problem with it coming from the active support but this is just a place to start and get the ball rolling.

The lights thing might have been organic but it started somewhere, same as our anthem, casually discussed on this forum and once we get it right, the way it will spread throughout the crowd will be as organic as the lights were!

This is hard and not sure what to vote and if the right one is still missing. Needs to be simple and catchy enough that everyone can latch on and sing it loud, maybe a well known song adapted like 'Hallelujah' would work, usually the best anthems are well known songs that have been adapted, or even just left as they are.

Will have a think.....

Edit - Just listened to the 'Halleluja' WSW version and whilst it is fantastic what will happen is the whole stadium will only join in with the 'western Sydney' repeat chorus and then drop off again because it is too complex.

Anthem doesn't always have to have words adapted for the club to make it great, loads of great anthems you think why the ***** do the supporters sing that, but they work.

The options I have seen so far, including Glorious, are too complex to be stadium wide anthems. Maybe we need something totally random, a what the **** type anthem lol

Edited by WSWBoro

I really like the Hallelujah adaptation, but it needs to be cut down to a minimum of two verses, I think. Not many people know the second verse of their national anthem (though I'm willing to wager that Manfred and Wendy join me in knowing it word-for-word) so asking them to remember three verses of a club anthem is a major stretch.

I also take Boro's point about learning any lyrics at all. If an existing song starts getting played and the crown joins in organically, that is the best way for an anthem to develop.

I really like the Hallelujah adaptation, but it needs to be cut down to a minimum of two verses, I think. Not many people know the second verse of their national anthem (though I'm willing to wager that Manfred and Wendy join me in knowing it word-for-word) so asking them to remember three verses of a club anthem is a major stretch.

I also take Boro's point about learning any lyrics at all. If an existing song starts getting played and the crown joins in organically, that is the best way for an anthem to develop.

PieceBombs on another thread (Rise Up) I think, suggested that the adapted lyrics (for whatever we end up with) could easily be put up on the big screen -karaoki style to begin with. I can't see this being difficult- karaoki for 19,000 supporters!!   :clapping: Sorry Southern end people- you DO need a screen you can see!!

To me, the main requirement for a walk out song is a well known melody, and with a bit of nurturing/practise initailly,  the lyrics would quite naturally be picked up. I believe motivation levels to learn our song would probably be higher than to learn the National Anthem -lol

Pretty sure this is what Victory do with their "Stand By Me " walk out song (which the crowd don't really join in with all that well as far as I recall?? - which is a shame because THAT'S  a song that sends a shiver down my spine tbh)

Also lyrics could be given out on the gameday publication (before it's shredded for confetti)

Two last comments.... 

To Cuidadmarron's perfectly valid comment 

" I want it just to bubble out organically. The rbb will eventually start doing something that just gets the whole crowd going that is anthemic. And that's our walkout anthem.    You can't create tradition. It has to happen on its own. It will. I just don't feel we need to force the issue, or like take a vote and expect that to be it. "

Prydz here is following the idea of being proactive,  to  "be the change you want to see". He gets a big pat on the back from me!!

Who knows where this will lead, and how long it will take...no hurry ( except I'll bet that our upcoming ACL opponents may very well have all this under their belts Haha)

And yeah, Bandit ...to my surprise, I do know the 2nd verse of the National Anthem

Don't worry wendy, I have no problem with people being proactive and absolutely, be the change. I think it will be great if something that works comes out of this thread or ones like it.

It's actually quite difficult to put it into words and I want to just say that my thoughts on this, I'm not claiming to speak for anyone or speak authoritatively or with expectation, just saying what I would like to happen ideally.

Nope, I've tried a few times, still can't get it right. :lol:  But basically, for mine, if we need to organise for lyrics to be distributed etc, then we've kind of failed the first test. I think of something like "these colours" - and I hear people singing that everywhere on game day from all ends of the ground. It's grown into one that people know, picked up on etc. It didn't need to be forced. I think that's kind of why "stand by me" hasn't taken off from what I understand. it was chosen at some point by committee. for something to work it has to be chosen by involvement, and the only way I see it happening myself is if something starts to work before the game on its own - and for that to happen we need the pa shut down. I think of some of the great anthems, the kind of things that people want - ynwa, bubbles, goodnight irene etc etc... they became anthems by happenstance. The Ground Announcer played it over the tannoy and it became a thing. The player looked like someone in an advert with the tune. It was on at the pub. And you can guarantee that those singing it weren't thinking "this will be an anthem our fans will be singing in 50 or 80 years time".

Don't worry wendy, I have no problem with people being proactive and absolutely, be the change. I think it will be great if something that works comes out of this thread or ones like it.

It's actually quite difficult to put it into words and I want to just say that my thoughts on this, I'm not claiming to speak for anyone or speak authoritatively or with expectation, just saying what I would like to happen ideally.

Nope, I've tried a few times, still can't get it right. :lol:  But basically, for mine, if we need to organise for lyrics to be distributed etc, then we've kind of failed the first test. I think of something like "these colours" - and I hear people singing that everywhere on game day from all ends of the ground. It's grown into one that people know, picked up on etc. It didn't need to be forced. I think that's kind of why "stand by me" hasn't taken off from what I understand. it was chosen at some point by committee. for something to work it has to be chosen by involvement, and the only way I see it happening myself is if something starts to work before the game on its own - and for that to happen we need the pa shut down. I think of some of the great anthems, the kind of things that people want - ynwa, bubbles, goodnight irene etc etc... they became anthems by happenstance. The Ground Announcer played it over the tannoy and it became a thing. The player looked like someone in an advert with the tune. It was on at the pub. And you can guarantee that those singing it weren't thinking "this will be an anthem our fans will be singing in 50 or 80 years time".

All absolutely fair enough!!   To help that process, I remember  a supposed relative of the  Parra DJ??  inviting suggestions from people on the forums regarding music to be played.  Don't know whether this was legit, but I got the feeling that the invitation was ignored on the forums (no one seemed to reply to this person directly)

I agree that the PA needs to be shut down WAY BEFORE it is now. But maybe, by means of communication with the club,  some of the suggestions being made here could be presented to the DJ, and responses from the crowd could be gauged?? ???? Thunderstruck is played sometimes, but no-one joins in near me at least.

Speaking of "These Colours"  it sounded fantastic from the supporters in Adelaide a short while ago. I remember a thread where Mr Covers (forumite) posted a suggestion for a second verse. There was a rather heated debate about that, but maybe, given the success of this as a chant, it could be put up for a vote here too- with one extra verse and a SLOW and ...er ....dignified tempo??

If there is to be an anthem then there shouldn't be any backing music played over the pa. If it's needed to lead into the start then switch it off once everyone gets going. The best versions of football anthems are the ones that sound comes purely from the people in the stadium. When I was at the game in melbourne last week I noticed no one got into it singing stand by me cause they're railroaded by the pa which is too bloody loud

If there is to be an anthem then there shouldn't be any backing music played over the pa. If it's needed to lead into the start then switch it off once everyone gets going. The best versions of football anthems are the ones that sound comes purely from the people in the stadium. When I was at the game in melbourne last week I noticed no one got into it singing stand by me cause they're railroaded by the pa which is too bloody loud

For me the PA system is absolute rubbish at parramatta. If anything on full blast it would come out at such a low/minor volume that it would work out to be a perfect backing to Wanderland singing out a walk out song.

The PA is too loud at our games now. Far too much music being played right before kick off. Also the PA announcers voice is being heard far too much. I feel like I'm at a basketball game or something. Please turn it off.

Where is my option to vote for the derby rapper from blacktown to freestyle as our anthem?

Felt sorry for him..and the magicians. I hope performances aren't going to be a permanent feature of what goes on at half time. It must be rather  crushing to be largely ignored by 16,000 people. 

Where is my option to vote for the derby rapper from blacktown to freestyle as our anthem?

Felt sorry for him..and the magicians. I hope performances aren't going to be a permanent feature of what goes on at half time. It must be rather  crushing to be largely ignored by 16,000 people. 

Well... we weren't really ignoring the magicians - when they cut the ball, you knew a lot of people were watching.

not going to vote since fear of the red and black is in the poll(thanks for putting that in btw) personally i think after they announce the team line ups they turn of the loud speakers and let the RBB and wanderers fans to build the atmosphere, i wouldnt mind them playing a song on the PA and everyone singing along if they can find the right song but it would have to be a song that is very carefully picked so it turns out to be the right song and not just some random song

It's a good idea, but before you guys get too carried away, I want to let you know of a recent email exchange I've had with Shaun at the Club.  I was suggesting that the 'plastic' music blaring from the PA system should stop a few minutes before kickoff and they should let the RBB and the rest of the fans take over with chanting for the team, but the answer was that the Club can't do much about it as unfortunately that music is mandated by the HAL.  The FFA wants it and they want to provide a consistent level of experience for fans in all stadia. :( 

I thought maybe the Nux and Feart fans are happy to put up with it otherwise they'd be sitting in silence, but at Wanderland I'd rather have a better experience than what the FFA want to dish up to us.

Anyway, good luck with your efforts, but you'd have to lobby the Club a lot and then they might ask the FFA / HAL to allow us to deviate from their set programme.  Hope you'll succeed.

It's a good idea, but before you guys get too carried away, I want to let you know of a recent email exchange I've had with Shaun at the Club.  I was suggesting that the 'plastic' music blaring from the PA system should stop a few minutes before kickoff and they should let the RBB and the rest of the fans take over with chanting for the team, but the answer was that the Club can't do much about it as unfortunately that music is mandated by the HAL.  The FFA wants it and they want to provide a consistent level of experience for fans in all stadia. :(

I thought maybe the Nux and Feart fans are happy to put up with it otherwise they'd be sitting in silence, but at Wanderland I'd rather have a better experience than what the FFA want to dish up to us.

Anyway, good luck with your efforts, but you'd have to lobby the Club a lot and then they might ask the FFA / HAL to allow us to deviate from their set programme.  Hope you'll succeed.

well that really sucks, if they have to play music then play some decent stuff that could potential turn into anthems, i really dont want to sit through ridiculous again, i remember the derby i think it was they played the logical song and even a REM line, i doubt the club is listening but if they are stick with those kinda songs, songs that might have a chance of being turned into an anthem for the future but songs that are at least bearable and dare i say it nice to listen to, i know music is a matter of opinion but whatever song that they play while parading our jerseys around(that nothing wolf song) is widely hated, at least that could be changed to a nice sounding song that actually stood the test of time

rant over...for a bit at least

Edited by UncleGoat

Just keep on lobbying and change might be achieved.

Shaun is always very helpful and responsive to positive suggestions. There are FFA rules within which he and the Club need to stay at the moment, but I guess if there is a large enough number of fans asking for a change, the Club will eventually have enough backing to go to the FFA and suggest a better alternative to them.