Anthem/Walk Out Song - 5/10 minutes prior to kickoff

Which one do you like the best  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like the best

• Wanderers Rise Up
    • We are Wanderers
    • Glorious
    • Fear of the Red & Black
    • Western Sydney to Hallelujah (leonard Cohen)
    • These colours unite us all
    • Exit Row - Welcome to our Wanderland
    • The Presets - My People
    • Rancid - If the kids are united
    • Nothing.
  2. 2. Should we replace 5-10mins prior to kickoff

• Current music + PA over shadowing the RBB
    • First current music then RBB singing
    • First the RBB singing then into Anthem/Walkout Song
    • Current Music then into Anthem/Walkout Song
    • No PA/music at all.
  3. 3. Do you want an Anthem/Walkout Song?

• Yes
    • No

25 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

He's not that odd...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruud_Gullit

After his spell at Newcastle, Gullit spent several years working as a football commentator, having previously coined the term "sexy football"[42] during his spell as a BBC pundit for Euro 1996 while still playing professionally for Chelsea. Gullit used the term to describe teams, such as Portugal at that tournament,[43] who played attractive football with an emphasis on the defense-penetrating pass-and-move game.

From memory, and being a Newcastle United fan also, he claimed that we played "sexy football" when he was our manager.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

@wendybr

When you talk of this needing an uplifting song, does this fit the bill?

There are some wonderful lyrics. It is well known and easy to sing along with.

Imagine Wanderland in full voice.

(And, yes Boro, it has bagpipes)

It has all the ingredients, I agree, Ed.

Ive always liked it....but others here (and in the RBB I suspect) would howl it down, I reckon. 

It soars and inspires, it is well known, is easy to join in with.

But I'm pretty sure the RBB are deternined that Glorious is it. Again.

I admit Glorious sounded better at the new stadium....and people did clap along and sing the first few rounds of the  "Oh ohs"...But then they opt out...and stop

As for the lyrics, I CANNOT see the average person standing with hand on hearts to belt them out.

They're ridiculous and incomprehensible.

And as for that line that sums it all up, about a football team (I guess) being "More glorious than death..." well....

<shrugs>

PS I was near the RBB...which might have made it sound better than further down the stadium, which is where I was at Pirtek. ...and where you just couldnt hear it.

36 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Uughh, Glorious is awful! Such a nothing entry to the stadium. But I tried at the forum and I got shouted down. The RBB won’t hear of anything else. They won’t believe that the other 80% of fans do not engage with it.

Hate it, it does note represent me and it does not represent those I sit with. 

agree

:nono:

2 hours ago, Cynth said:

Uughh, Glorious is awful! Such a nothing entry to the stadium. But I tried at the forum and I got shouted down. The RBB won’t hear of anything else. They won’t believe that the other 80% of fans do not engage with it.

Hate it, it does note represent me and it does not represent those I sit with. 

Ohhhh thanks for sharing your opinion, Cynth. I dont remember  seeing it here before, but maybe you have expressed it.

Only a few here have weighed in with their opinions.

Well done for trying to raise it at a forum, but I'm not surprised you were shouted down. 

I do know members of the RBB who sing it...in solidarity with the RBB, but who admit the lyrics are unappealing (to put it politely).

If the average person in the stadiun sings or claps along with the Oh Ohs, they do not sing the lyrics.

If they knew the lyrics, they still wouldnt sing along, and may well question why the chant being given any time.

It is now vaguely familiar to most, because it's been churned out for years, but it is unsuitable as a unifying walkout song.

Glorious has multiple issues and is never going to be picked up by the rest of the crowd.

- the lyrics are a little nonsensical

- the tune is okay, but loses a lot in the singing, especially the "oooohs" which sound like a lot of other chants.

- it doesn't have a sense of rise and fall, in tempo or anything else.

However, it is popular in the RBB, and, I'm not sure that anyone in the RBB is pushing for it to be something that the rest of the crowd sing; it's just, it's like the RBB anthem, more than anything else. They've never had expectations about anyone else doing anything RBB related; good when it happens; shrugs if not, sort of thing. So I don't think it's like a blindness about how good it is, or a misunderstanding about how popular it can be - it's more, that's not a matter for concern anyway.

My preference has always been for These Colours. Familiar tune,  good lyrics. If I was at the club wanting something to happen that would get the whole stadium singing that would be it. If it needed encouragement (and you know how I feel about this kind of thing so it's a big deal for me to say this haha) i'd get an instrumental recorded and pump out the verse and chorus bits and encourage the rest of the crowd to sing along and then cut it and let them take over as the players came out.

18 minutes ago, marron said:

Glorious has multiple issues and is never going to be picked up by the rest of the crowd.

- the lyrics are a little nonsensical

- the tune is okay, but loses a lot in the singing, especially the "oooohs" which sound like a lot of other chants.

- it doesn't have a sense of rise and fall, in tempo or anything else.

Yes to what you say of the lyrics...nonsensical, and potentially somewhat offensive to some re the glory of death (because that's the implication).

When I first came to the forums, and weighed into this issue as the first issue I got involved in, I had recently had a death in the family.

Anything linking death and glory was upsetti g.

What you say re rises and falls is true.

It ends with the ohhhh s descending, and sounding mournful rather than joyful.

It's not inspiring...

Sorry...will have to respond with a few posts here.

19 minutes ago, marron said:

However, it is popular in the RBB, and, I'm not sure that anyone in the RBB is pushing for it to be something that the rest of the crowd sing; it's just, it's like the RBB anthem, more than anything else. They've never had expectations about anyone else doing anything RBB related; good when it happens; shrugs if not, sort of thing. So I don't think it's like a blindness about how good it is, or a misunderstanding about how popular it can be - it's more, that's not a matter for concern .

It surprises me that you say this.

Cynth's experience at the forums, being "shouted down", my past experience here, and recalling the lengths that the RBB went to to get it going as the Walkout (with lyrics on paper distributed at entries to the stands) at one point leads me to think some have always been determined to see it succeed.

And it's now being used as the accompaniment to the walkout.

No loud PA announcements to compete with it.

It seemed like it had been coordinated with the club. 

27 minutes ago, marron said:

My preference has always been for These Colours. Familiar tune,  good lyrics. If I was at the club wanting something to happen that would get the whole stadium singing that would be it. If it needed encouragement (and you know how I feel about this kind of thing so it's a big deal for me to say this haha) i'd get an instrumental recorded and pump out the verse and chorus bits and encourage the rest of the crowd to sing along and then cut it and let them take over as the players came out.

Hehehe!  :good:

17 minutes ago, marron said:

Yeah obviously there's been communication ; I still reckon it's more about - we will do what we will do. So the club says, we want to give you guys the opportunity to just go for it no PA. And the rbb say cool we will do OUR anthem.

OK...thanks for that insight Marron.:good:

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

It surprises me that you say this.

Cynth's experience at the forums, being "shouted down", my past experience here, and recalling the lengths that the RBB went to to get it going as the Walkout (with lyrics on paper distributed at entries to the stands) at one point leads me to think some have always been determined to see it succeed.

And it's now being used as the accompaniment to the walkout.

No loud PA announcements to compete with it.

It seemed like it had been coordinated with the club. 

The RBB responded strongly at the forum to any other walkout song being considered and I was definitely shouted down when I said that although I’m sure it feels amazing in the RBB to sing it, that the rest of the stadium does not engage or resonate with the song at all. And when I mentioned considering another song it got a bit ugly.  It’s so disappointing that the RBB are so unwilling to have a discussion about that.

All it would take for them to see the non engagement, is to send a few people out around the stadium...particularly past the halfway line.

Maybe Marron's right...and they just want to do their own thing.

But if they want stadium unity and singing... well , I can't ever see it being to Glorious.

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I like glorious but it’s one of those chants that the majority don’t like & won’t join in. If we want it to go stadium wide then  glorious isn’t the answer.

I'd say it's the ONLY chant the majority don't like, or haven't connected with.

A sad irony there.

Loved by the RBB, but it doesnt grab the majority. :(

My 20c worth.... when Welcome to Our Wanderland came out I cringed. 

But the lyrics resonate with most, including the kids/family and the tune is catchy and has plenty of commercial pluses (which could easily be "broadcasted" on tv in the background). (+ it was done by our fans, not some PR firm)

I still think that something like "western sydney wanderers" to the opening/intro of "we will rock you" (10-12 times) chanted by whole stadium would force visiting teams back to the sheds. Drums could even be over PA and can't get easier lyrics than that....:shout:

Edited by alexd
22 hours ago, Cynth said:

The RBB responded strongly at the forum to any other walkout song being considered and I was definitely shouted down when I said that although I’m sure it feels amazing in the RBB to sing it, that the rest of the stadium does not engage or resonate with the song at all. And when I mentioned considering another song it got a bit ugly.  It’s so disappointing that the RBB are so unwilling to have a discussion about that.

how many years ago was this? a lot has changed since then

We have not pushed for any walk out song/anthem as yet as nothing suggested has been good to be honest. Yes we sing glorious because of the choreo with scarves that goes with it, but until another song/chant is raised as an idea and has overwhelming support for it, why force through something that would sound just as crap as what is happening now?

It's also difficult to force something - happy to listen to ideas, but after flicking through the forums there has literally been no suggestions that jump off the page