Sign in to follow this  
Peaches

Amateur Association Football

Made it through to the second round of the hills knockout comp (a better version of the FFA cup, basically). 

Pretty good considering we’re a div 4 team and we beat a premier league team. 

Edited by Beer

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Well, it's getting to the pointy end of young Wanderboy's season, as it is for everyone else I suppose.

Further to my previous post, he was playing Div 2 this season after having played Div1 for the past 5 seasons. After round 4, the team were playing so well that they were re-graded up to Div 1.

We thought it might then be a bit of a struggle for the rest of the season after going up to the top division, but lo and behold, they have kept on winning regularly enough to still be in semi final contention. Currently coming 4th (a superb effort). Actually had a 10-0 win today (albeit against the team coming last, but this team was originally Div 1.)

Young Wanderboy scored a banger within the 1st 5 mins, having won possession inside his own half, beating 3 players and shooting from outside the box into the top right hand corner. He originally started the season as striker, but wasn't getting much service, so he asked the coach if he could play AM, as he is a smart footballer and his strength is his passing game and vision. He has thrived ever since, scoring 6 goals and providing a heap of assists.

Anyway, we play the 3rd placed team next week, which will be a test, but if we can draw, and win our last game, we should be semi final bound.

It's been a very enjoyable season to watch.

My daughter is also playing div 2 this year. Tomorrow is their last game of the regular season. They will already finish top of the table and a win or draw tomorrow will be an undefeated season for them. Hasn’t got in the scoresheet but has had a number of assists. She’s developed a deft little turn that she uses to get around 2 and sometimes even 3 players. And then the timing on the through balls. It’s just brilliant to watch. She’s also the reserve keeper, which is where she’ll be playing tomorrow so the regular keeper can have a run. Shes not happy - she’d much rather be running and turning - but it’s what you do in a team. She’s actually not too at keeper. A bit quite for my liking,  it she can manage the penalty area well enough. A chip of the old block I suppose  :xnod:

The youngest plays U8s which is non comp, but he’s had a great season too. He plays with a great bunch of boys and the coach is pretty relaxed with them. He’s really thriving on the structure and learning / playing different positions. He had his first game back today after a few weeks off with a wrist injury (funnily enough, while he was playing with his sisters team a few weeks back lol). He only has two speeds when he’s playing. Flat out and eating oranges lol. They played short today and managed a hard earned win. I don’t get to watch all of his games as I’m usually reffing, but they’re equally brilliant to watch. 

Nepean had their grand finals on the weekend. My daughters team made it to through to play the team that finished the regular season in second place. 

After going behind early, they powered through to a 4-1win! My daughter with an assist to level it up. Could have been more if not for some excellent one on one saves from the opposition keeper. Very much a deserved win (in my completely unbiased opinion of course).

Result aside, I couldn’t be prouder for them. They’re a fantastic group who have worked hard all season. Gelled well early on, trained hard, and played with grace and sportsmanship. It will be a shame they won’t stay together next year, with some moving up to intermediates, some staying in u16, and a couple likely moving to play other sports. 

Blacktown had grand finals this weekend as well. Good to see the Wanderers had a membership tent there plus Marc Tokich and John Roberts handing out medals to the finalists.

This time of year always serves to remind me that I must be crazy to keep putting my hand up for Exec positions at my club. Off season feels shorter every year :shok:

FFA to lobby for funding increase to save grassroots football

As it stands, football receives $37 of government funding per participant while each rugby participant gets $113, NRL $110, AFL $109 and cricket $55.

The windfall from broadcast revenue reveals an even greater discrepancy, with each football participant getting $34 and each NRL counterpart receiving a whopping $1,539.

What kind of lobbying is football doing though? Seeing how dysfunctional football administration is at both state and national level, it wouldn’t surprise me if they haven’t even made that much of an effort to ask in the first place. 

Not sure I am going to survive this season, will be my first season in 30 years not coaching a team and for most of those seasons I have coached 2 (One male and female each year). What a season to go out on though as last season the boys (well men now) I started coaching when they were 5 years old as U6 Cubs won their local U18 GDSFA comp undefeated as well as the FNSW State Cup and FNSW Champions of Champions all in the same season (not bad when you consider they had not got past the 3rd round of those State tournaments since they started playing them from U12 onwards) so as the boys all split up to do their own thing I have also decided to have a year off from coaching football totally.   Already missing it.