Amateur Association Football

Peaches

11 hours ago, Davo said:

Starting this Sunday we have six games in three weeks. I'll also have three games of futsal during that period.

R.I.P. legs...

Yeah we have 5 games in 3 weeks now (2 x double headers). Poor kids... haha

3 minutes ago, Jaggy said:

Any stories to share ?

you've all your limbs ?

he's playing Div10 for Colo, out richmond way.

he chipped our keeper from like 45 yards out to score. :lol:

he was marking me on a corner and he was holding my finger, it was the weirdest thing ever :huh:

saying he's put on a few kilos is and understatement.

it certainly was fun playing like a grub when marking him - managed to throw him to the ground when tackling him, somehow i won a free kick, and subsequently berated him about as he was marking me. he was a good sport, and had a good laugh when i suggested maybe he's finally found his level :P

49 minutes ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

he's playing Div10 for Colo, out richmond way.

he chipped our keeper from like 45 yards out to score. :lol:

he was marking me on a corner and he was holding my finger, it was the weirdest thing ever :huh:

saying he's put on a few kilos is and understatement.

it certainly was fun playing like a grub when marking him - managed to throw him to the ground when tackling him, somehow i won a free kick, and subsequently berated him about as he was marking me. he was a good sport, and had a good laugh when i suggested maybe he's finally found his level :P

Hahaha..... Brilliant story !

Next game you'll remember to grab your opponent finger, sounds like an A league tactic.....:xnod:

Back to the top of the table. Squad of 13, 4 are still U14s playing in U15. Moved up a division too... so quite chuffed. The team we lost to earlier this season we beat on the w/end 4-1. Last time we played them the game plan was all wrong (my fault). This time I realised we weren't going to be more physical, they were a much bigger and older team. So we just moved the ball quicker. Put through balls in behind their slow-cumbersome back-4 and scored all 4 goals the same way. Their coach was not a happy camper. Not used to losing (their first loss of the year). 4-points clear now. :)

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone is interested, BDSFA is running the grassroots goalkeeping coaching course soon - https://education-ffa.sportingpulse.com/event.asp?ID=16854

$90 for 6 hours with Jim Fraser was an opportunity too good to miss for me. I'm looking forward to it, especially as my 11 year old has stepped up to be main keeper for his U12 team this year. 

Still at the top of the table. Comfortable 4-0 win on Saturday and a 0-1 loss on Sunday. Prospect have new players and are very much a kick and chase team... they win ugly. Doesn't help that a player of theirs throws a punch (missed) in front of the referee and did nothing. He was the best defender and it was 0-0 at the time. Referee said he didn't see it. It was 10 metres from him... he was staring at it. *shrugs* The other team's coach and manager are just a nasty bunch. Miserable and horrible winners. They beat the top 2 teams in the same weekend, so good on them, but they do it in an ugly way.

Anyway, major talking point this weekend was that our canteen and equipment room were attacked with fire on Sunday night/Monday morning. Started into the canteen and spread into the storeroom. Kids goals are destroyed and all of our canteen stock gone (photos below). We were broken into 2-weeks ago and lots of items were taken from the canteen. The police didn't do a thing. That said, they did investigate the arson attack and have already charged 3 men with the fire.

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: plant, outdoor and indoor

Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: shoes and indoor

No idea why. We had banners stolen a few years ago too.

They got in via the roller doors we think (both times, assuming it was the same group). Might need to put bars up. It's a council building I believe so they'll need to sort it out. There was also cricket stuff damaged too. The club have sourced new goals (that were melted from the heat) for the kids so they should be right to play on the w/end.

It's a dog act, for sure. We've had a couple of attempted break-ins this season as well.  Our club can't be seen from the roads so council put in a lot of bar work. Doesn't stop the attempts, but it makes them less successful. They keep targeting our roller doors too :nono:

I hope your committee asks for help if it needs it. I know my committee would happily do whatever it could to help, and I doubt we are the only ones in BDSFA who think this way. We're only a small club and I think something like this would probably kill us off. I hope Newbury is big enough to recover. 

From what I've heard the club have received a lot of help from others within the association. Which is fantastic. The facilities are not only used by our club, but also the cricket club and 3 nearby schools.

But it appears the alleged perpetrators were caught:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/rouse-hill-times/police-charge-three-men-over-the-senseless-fire-which-has-destroyed-a-soccer-clubhouse/news-story/0d46065c1f738e7e071d9c41ce9b2a1e

Community football is a great thing.  Unlike our once so called community club Wanderers.  Glad to have skipped renewing given our toxic leadership.

Back on pitch this week after an injury ravaged season again.  If I'm lucky I'll manage five full games this season.  Physio bills racked up aplenty.  Will I do it all over again next season.  Of course.  Mad not to.  The comararadery with my team is amazing.

Had an interesting referee in our game last weekend.

One of the opposition players punched our guy in the chin. Only a jab rather than a proper haymaker but still a clear punch, right in front of the referee and both benches. Ref comes running over and tells the guy that he saw him punch our bloke so he's lucky he's only getting a yellow, before booking him.

After the game I asked the ref why, when he saw someone strike an opponent, he didn't send him off for violent conduct. He said that although that's what the laws of the game say, he's the referee so it's ultimately up to him whether he applies them. He then threatened me with a yellow for asking...

22 minutes ago, Davo said:

One of the opposition players punched our guy in the chin. Only a jab rather than a proper haymaker but still a clear punch, right in front of the referee and both benches. Ref comes running over and tells the guy that he saw him punch our bloke so he's lucky he's only getting a yellow, before booking him.

After the game I asked the ref why, when he saw someone strike an opponent, he didn't send him off for violent conduct. He said that although that's what the laws of the game say, he's the referee so it's ultimately up to him whether he applies them. He then threatened me with a yellow for asking...

It's this kind of crap that creates trouble later for someone else. The player gets away with it, then next week does the same thing (or worse) and when he's rightfully shown the red, the situation escalates "he didn't send me off last time", or "someone did it last week and only got a yellow, what's changed".

Fare enough if the ref didn't know / had a brain fade or whatever (although you'd think this isn't something a ref would have a brain fade about), but to tell you he knew the law and the correct action but decided not to do take it is mind bogglingly frustrating for everyone. Personally, I'd be taking that up with the referee's body, either yourself or through your club. 

I'd be interested to know what he'd give you a yellow card for too. Assuming you were asking a question (and not being a aggressive / having a whinge etc), there's nothing in the laws of the game that says a player can't ask, at least, not in the book I have (happy to be corrected of course). Players / coaches don't always like the answer and will often start debating or challenging "what about xxx over there" etc, which is where I shut it down and move on. It's all part of good player management (I think).

46 minutes ago, Davo said:

Had something similar the other week, totally crazy. 5 to go ref goes to book one of their players for interfering with a thrown in (smart arse was stood practically on toes of our player who was trying to throw it in). Was a second yellow so opposition surround the referee. Ref think stuff this and calls full time. In resulting chaos one their players slaps referee (not hard but it is the referee)

Ref wasn't best pleased 

Ref put the original red thru, not sure if he reported the violent conduct

Total chaos, no need for it they were beating us about 5-3 at the time with about 2 mins to go 

16 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

I'd be interested to know what he'd give you a yellow card for too. Assuming you were asking a question (and not being a aggressive / having a whinge etc), there's nothing in the laws of the game that says a player can't ask, at least, not in the book I have (happy to be corrected of course). Players / coaches don't always like the answer and will often start debating or challenging "what about xxx over there" etc, which is where I shut it down and move on. It's all part of good player management (I think).

Yeah that was strange.

I was the most vocal when he didn't send the guy off but after that I didn't speak to him all game. After the game I was walking off the field and the ref came over to me to explain himself, I didn't really want to talk to him. When I asked why he didn't send him off I wasn't being a smart arse or having a go but I think by that point he knew he'd screwed up and just wanted to get out of the conversation.

On 10 July 2017 at 1:03 PM, smp said:

If anyone is interested, BDSFA is running the grassroots goalkeeping coaching course soon - https://education-ffa.sportingpulse.com/event.asp?ID=16854

$90 for 6 hours with Jim Fraser was an opportunity too good to miss for me. I'm looking forward to it, especially as my 11 year old has stepped up to be main keeper for his U12 team this year. 

This is looking like it won't go ahead due to low registrations :sorry:I guess this is why this particular course only runs every few years. 

0-3 to the team 1 point behind us, pushing us down to 6th. We were doing so well, but injuries and flu have carved up our squad of 19 at season's start to a struggle to get even 11 on the paddock. Finals is a distant dream if you have no bench week in and week out

:arniesalt:

We are now 5 pts clear at top but have played 2 extra games 

but you wouldn't know it by the way we bitch with each other during the game 

ffs this would have to be the worst team spirit I've seen for a team sitting first and undefeated in 11 games. I mean we have won our record is 9-2-1. 

The coach has 3 sons in the team and they all want to punch on with each other it's quite good on the LOL value 

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:41 PM, Wanderboy said:

Club email informed me this afternoon that 2 Wanderers players will be at our home ground this Saturday.

Young Wanderboy is excited.

Well, the two players were Baccus Snr and Hamill.

Lovely guys. Very chatty, particularly Baccus. Found out that he went to school and played with my son's coach for several years.

Asked him about Biscuit. Said he is extremely impressive at training. The real deal. All the skills. Very professional. Just need to get the ball to him.

Asked about Nico. Didn't say anything more than what we already know. Should be clearer middle of next week. Last thing he said was they are hoping for a centre mid finish the puzzle. Didn't say A or D.

Then he gave me a sticker, and allowed Wanderboy Jnr to take a few selfies with him. It was a decent 5 minutes.

On a separate matter, I'd like to ask some advice from some of you more learned association football people. Particularly those on here who are referees.

I'm always very understanding of referees. It's an absolutely thankless task and it's one job I would never take on. Ever! I have sympathy for them if they make a mistake. They are only human after all. I'm the manager of my son's team and we've had good and not so good all season. After every game, I shake the referees hand and thank him/her for their effort, whether good or indifferent.

Today however, I came across a situation that I consider unacceptable. The referee was clearly out of his depth. Blew fouls (that weren't fouls) and didn't blow them when they were. Got corner/goal kick decisions wrong consistently, Called balls out that weren't. Gave two penalties (one for each team) that weren't. The game wasn't aggressive and was played in a fine spirit between both clubs. Both sets of managers and coaches were amicable and got along fine, and we all agreed that decisions that went against our respective teams were completely wrong. He was the centre of attention for the whole match.

The crowning glory for this ref came with 1 minute remaining in the match. 2 boys chasing the ball up a sideline. Our player was closest to the ball. The opposition player was behind him. The opposition player catches the heel of our player accidently and they both tumble over and the ball goes over the sideline. He gives a free kick to the opposition  (and our player, who had his back to the other during the chase for the ball) says "I didn't do ****".

Straight red. I've been informed that for this offence it is a mandatory 2 week suspension.

When asked about the incident after the game, the referee first said that he thought both boys were at fault, but because he had blown his whistle for a foul, he had to decide there and then which one was more at fault. Which I believe was complete rubbish as neither was at fault. It's just one of those things. Accidental contact. Should have just been a throw in. Then, when our lad used the word **** which wasn't even abuse towards the referee, he was issued a straight red.

That's it in a nutshell.

My question is, (and because this is my first season as a manager) what is the process for complaint to the association?

I've always taken the good with the bad. It goes with the territory and all evens itself out in the end over a long season. However, it is my duty as a manager to defend my player in a case of injustice. This player has shown exemplary behaviour throughout the season and does not deserve to miss the last 2 weeks of the season over this issue.

I suppose my other question is ........what are the chances of success of such an appeal?

The manager and coach of the other team have also said they will issue statements in his defence. They too, also could not understand the decision.

Cheers.

15 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

On a separate matter, I'd like to ask some advice from some of you more learned association football people. Particularly those on here who are referees.

I'm always very understanding of referees. It's an absolutely thankless task and it's one job I would never take on. Ever! I have sympathy for them if they make a mistake. They are only human after all. I'm the manager of my son's team and we've had good and not so good all season. After every game, I shake the referees hand and thank him/her for their effort, whether good or indifferent.

Today however, I came across a situation that I consider unacceptable. The referee was clearly out of his depth. Blew fouls (that weren't fouls) and didn't blow them when they were. Got corner/goal kick decisions wrong consistently, Called balls out that weren't. Gave two penalties (one for each team) that weren't. The game wasn't aggressive and was played in a fine spirit between both clubs. Both sets of managers and coaches were amicable and got along fine, and we all agreed that decisions that went against our respective teams were completely wrong. He was the centre of attention for the whole match.

The crowning glory for this ref came with 1 minute remaining in the match. 2 boys chasing the ball up a sideline. Our player was closest to the ball. The opposition player was behind him. The opposition player catches the heel of our player accidently and they both tumble over and the ball goes over the sideline. He gives a free kick to the opposition  (and our player, who had his back to the other during the chase for the ball) says "I didn't do ****".

Straight red. I've been informed that for this offence it is a mandatory 2 week suspension.

When asked about the incident after the game, the referee first said that he thought both boys were at fault, but because he had blown his whistle for a foul, he had to decide there and then which one was more at fault. Which I believe was complete rubbish as neither was at fault. It's just one of those things. Accidental contact. Should have just been a throw in. Then, when our lad used the word **** which wasn't even abuse towards the referee, he was issued a straight red.

That's it in a nutshell.

My question is, (and because this is my first season as a manager) what is the process for complaint to the association?

I've always taken the good with the bad. It goes with the territory and all evens itself out in the end over a long season. However, it is my duty as a manager to defend my player in a case of injustice. This player has shown exemplary behaviour throughout the season and does not deserve to miss the last 2 weeks of the season over this issue.

I suppose my other question is ........what are the chances of success of such an appeal?

The manager and coach of the other team have also said they will issue statements in his defence. They too, also could not understand the decision.

Cheers.

All depends on the competition regulations in your association. 

As it was a straight red, it is likely to go to tribunal where appeal are usually made. In my association, for any sendoff, we have to send a message to our Referees branch mobile AND file a send off report by Monday night.

I hear f... regularly, but if it is not not directed at me, I leave it alone, particularly for men's games.

If the referee thought it was directed at him, the sendoff code should be R6 and should be on the team sheet.

btw I think you should post Baccus Snr comments in the squad development thread. It implies Borda is gone if we are getting another MF.