The Refereeing Thread

Insufficient evidence? The actual rule doesn't say he has to spit on someone, it just refers to "spitting at an opponent or any other person". He looked straight at the referee, angrily said something towards him and spat at him.

By the letter of the law there's plenty of evidence that he committed an offence and should have been sent off.

43 minutes ago, EmMac said:

Brosque gets nothing for his behaviour........and so the farce of the FFA's reign continues.

Of course it does.

And truly, why are any of us surprised at this decision? It was always going to go in favour of ESFC. 

Imagine the uproar if they gave him 8 weeks? Arnie would have **** in his nappy.

4 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Of course it does.

And truly, why are any of us surprised at this decision? It was always going to go in favour of ESFC. 

Imagine the uproar if they gave him 8 weeks? Arnie would have **** in his nappy.

If found guilty wouldn't he get 12 months? (Someone posted a reference above). That being the case no one had the guts to even publicly condemn him let alone start an investigation.

12 minutes ago, Valter43 said:

At my grassroots referees meeting (Western Sydney) we are applying temporary dismissals to a caution for dissent against a match official by adults as is most of NSW. This is meant to help with respect for referees by players or coaches who can also receive a caution. It is also to diffuse an angry from getting into a full send-off situation resulting in a suspension.

IFAB have a wider context as indicated below

* Some competitions may find it valuable to use temporary dismissals only for cautions (YCs) for offence relating to ‘inappropriate’ behaviour, e.g.

• Simulation
  • Deliberately delaying the opposing team’s restart of the match 
  • Dissent or verbal comments or gestures
  • Stopping a promising attack by holding, pulling, pushing or handball 
  • Kicker illegally feinting at a penalty kick

34 minutes ago, Valter43 said:

Why not just card them? I don't understand this pussyfooting around. 

I bet they would have sin binned Brosque for spitting at a ref  :rolleyes:

They get a yellow card as well.

As for Brosque, if the referee or other match official caught him spitting the following would have happened 

1. A red card for spitting at a match official.

2. A match mandatory suspension by the MRP and a direct referral to the FFA disciplinary committee by the MRP.

3. 12 month suspension would have been issued by the FFA disciplinary committee with an appeal process.

FYI

Spitting at a player, team official or spectator is a minimum 6 week suspension plus 1 match.

Spitting at a match official is minimum 12 month suspension plus 1 match.

I reckon you’ll end up with more dissent. Referees will be more hesitant to book people knowing its more serious than a normal yellow. They’ll just give more “last warnings”.

Also imagine sin binning a guy for feinting at a penalty kick. There’d be a lot more dissent coming...

7 minutes ago, Davo said:

I reckon you’ll end up with more dissent. Referees will be more hesitant to book people knowing its more serious than a normal yellow. They’ll just give more “last warnings”.

Also imagine sin binning a guy for feinting at a penalty kick. There’d be a lot more dissent coming...

This is only one we are applying temporary dismissals in NSW grassroots.

- Dissent or verbal comments or gestures

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Davo said:

Australian referees in FIFA World Cup snub

Even through our referees are some of the very few in world football to have experience working with VAR, none were deemed competent enough to go to the World Cup.

Anyone surprised?

There are 2 both from NZ.

I am nor surprised. Just look at standard of refereeing in the friendly between Colombia v Australia compared to what we get every round.

And to top it off, there will be no British referees at the World Cup either.

Edited by Paul01
Added info
On 3/20/2018 at 9:16 PM, Valter43 said:

Why not just card them? I don't understand this pussyfooting around. 

I bet they would have sin binned Brosque for spitting at a ref  :rolleyes:

Think FIFA were trialling an 'Orange card' or something like that as a form of Sin Bin in Italy.

1 minute ago, SBW said:

Think FIFA were trialling an 'Orange card' or something like that as a form of Sin Bin in Italy.

We are trialling temporary dismissals (no cards) NSW grassroots for dissent against match officials where a player receives a yellow card plus 10 minutes off. The player can only return after 10 minutes with the referees permission so could be a bit longer.

5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

There are 2 both from NZ.

I am nor surprised. Just look at standard of refereeing in the friendly between Colombia v Australia compared to what we get every round.

And to top it off, there will be no British referees at the World Cup either.

Funny how the two from NZ aren't recognised as like "top" A-League officials

Does this Conger bloke get a big A-League game?

1 minute ago, Unlimited said:

Funny how the two from NZ aren't recognised as like "top" A-League officials

Does this Conger bloke get a big A-League game?

That's because their special OFC referees:xbop::xbop::xbop:

46 minutes ago, tardotz said:

They should take some of the A league refs as VAR refs..........at least that way after the world cup, the VAR will be hated all over the world

Yep. They can take Gillett and Green who are both Queensland refs (NSW does not have a FIFA referee). Both were put forward by Ben Wilson. His reputation would be shot as well theirs.

19 hours ago, Paul01 said:

We are trialling temporary dismissals (no cards) NSW grassroots for dissent against match officials where a player receives a yellow card plus 10 minutes off. The player can only return after 10 minutes with the referees permission so could be a bit longer.

From a ref's point of view...is that welcomed?

Sure it changes the game, but with the general disrespect for rules, and for  those "in authority" within society, which is growing, I personally don't mind the idea of referees having more punitive power.

Every week watching A League games, clear examples of dissent and disrespect are obvious.

Last night, Krishna waved his finger in the ref's face, and grabbed his arm...with no repercussion. Pretty much everyone would have hated to see him sent off, but he probably should have been (even if the ref was KG-J...lol).

So, one week,  Brosque gets to spit in the direction of the ref... after plainly cursing at him, and the next,  Krishna gets to wave his finger in the ref's face and grab his arm.

Kids watch this. Park players try it on I imagine?

Where does it end?

No wonder I saw an article in my local paper "Shortage of local referees"  a while ago (fwiw...I didn't read the article...and I'm not even sure what sport was being referred to).

But why would people put themselves out there to try to manage players  whose tempers (in the heat of the moment due to their passion etc) seem to get the better of them...and they've watched their role models get away with it on tv the night before.?

At A League level  open dissent and disrespect is clearly demonstrated in practically every game....and I think enough's enough.

I 'd be interested in what you guys think about the sin bin idea.

Of course players won't like it. :lol::lol:

8 hours ago, wendybr said:

From a ref's point of view...is that welcomed?

Sure it changes the game, but with the general disrespect for rules, and for  those "in authority" within society, which is growing, I personally don't mind the idea of referees having more punitive power.

Every week watching A League games, clear examples of dissent and disrespect are obvious.

Last night, Krishna waved his finger in the ref's face, and grabbed his arm...with no repercussion. Pretty much everyone would have hated to see him sent off, but he probably should have been (even if the ref was KG-J...lol).

So, one week,  Brosque gets to spit in the direction of the ref... after plainly cursing at him, and the next,  Krishna gets to wave his finger in the ref's face and grab his arm.

Kids watch this. Park players try it on I imagine?

Where does it end?

No wonder I saw an article in my local paper "Shortage of local referees"  a while ago (fwiw...I didn't read the article...and I'm not even sure what sport was being referred to).

But why would people put themselves out there to try to manage players  whose tempers (in the heat of the moment due to their passion etc) seem to get the better of them...and they've watched their role models get away with it on tv the night before.?

At A League level  open dissent and disrespect is clearly demonstrated in practically every game....and I think enough's enough.

I 'd be interested in what you guys think about the sin bin idea.

Of course players won't like it. :lol::lol:

I referee at Grassroots in the West of Sydney and it is welcome move. We are applying temporary dismissals to u18s plus all age for dissent against a match official by players and team officials. We are hoping that it will reduce red cards. Personally, i would like it applied to u15, u16s and u17s. To attract and retain referees at all levels, there is also a need to remove the rubbish aimed at match officials by spectators and players who think they know more than someone who has sat an on-line exam with a pass mark of 85% and then paid for the privilege of attending a refereeing course on a weekend. And then you have to keep up with various changes to the LOTG and sometimes local association regulations. I have heard that in some associations, they barely get central referees to any more than 40-50% (gladly not mine)

Back on topic, temporary dismissals are being applied by Football NSW to all NPL games from u16s and older for players and team officials.

With regard to A-league, it would be a good move but only when those Ben Wilson appointed referees are consistent in their application of the LOTG to all teams. The two consistent A-league offenders for temporary dismissals are Matt McKay and Alex Brosque.

20 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I referee at Grassroots in the West of Sydney and it is welcome move. We are applying temporary dismissals to u18s plus all age for dissent against a match official by players and team officials. We are hoping that it will reduce red cards. Personally, i would like it applied to u15, u16s and u17s. To attract and retain referees at all levels, there is also a need to remove the rubbish aimed at match officials by spectators and players who think they know more than someone who has sat an on-line exam with a pass mark of 85% and then paid for the privilege of attending a refereeing course on a weekend. And then you have to keep up with various changes to the LOTG and sometimes local association regulations. I have heard that in some associations, they barely get central referees to any more than 40-50% (gladly not mine)

Back on topic, temporary dismissals are being applied by Football NSW to all NPL games from u16s and older for players and team officials.

With regard to A-league, it would be a good move but only when those Ben Wilson appointed referees are consistent in their application of the LOTG to all teams. The two consistent A-league offenders for temporary dismissals are Matt McKay and Alex Brosque.

i ref in the same comp as paul but disagree on the sin bin idea. to me it distorts the game. why are some yellow card offences deemed sin bin worthy and others not?

agree though that idiots on the sideline are a far bigger issue than the players. the number of times I have to speak to the marshall/ground official about spectator behaviour far outweighs the number of cards I have had to give for player dissent.

1 minute ago, lloydy136 said:

i ref in the same comp as paul but disagree on the sin bin idea. to me it distorts the game. why are some yellow card offences deemed sin bin worthy and others not?

agree though that idiots on the sideline are a far bigger issue than the players. the number of times I have to speak to the marshall/ground official about spectator behaviour far outweighs the number of cards I have had to give for player dissent.

On sideine behaviour, I agree but it may take continually sending incident reports about crowd behaviour

Football NSW is being very selctive. Here are other approaches from IFAB

Some competitions may find it valuable to use temporary dismissals only for cautions (YCs) for offence relating to ‘inappropriate’ behaviour, e.g.

Simulation

Deliberately delaying the opposing team’s restart of the match

Dissent or verbal comments or gestures

Stopping a promising attack by holding, pulling, pushing or handball

Kicker illegally feinting at a penalty kick

• 2 weeks later...

There was a very interesting VAR decision early in this MLS game.

https://matchcenter.mlssoccer.com/matchcenter/2018-04-07-atlanta-united-fc-vs-los-angeles-football-club/recap

A really hard lunging tackle by an Atlanta player gets a straight red 35 seconds in but gets overturned. It didn't seem like an obvious error to me, and based on how the VAR has been used here if it was the A-League I don't think they would have overturned it.

Took 3 minutes to review, player was already down the tunnel.

There was also a very weird second yellow & red against LAFC in stoppage time. A free kick hit into the players jumping in the wall called handball, penalty, 2nd yellow. Very odd call to me.