The Refereeing Thread

Apparently they needed 14 clubs to agree before it could get implemented.

If we had an independent A-League I wonder whether 7 clubs would have agreed to it here?

More VAR madness.

The referee misses a handball in a Bundesliga game, blows for half time and the players all go down the tunnel and into the dressing rooms. The referee then checks his little screen and decides it should be a penalty, so he calls the players back out onto the pitch to take the pen, blows half time again and they all go back into the dressing rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL0k9qLindk

I thought you weren't allowed to do a VAR review after the half ends? That's what happened to Wellington in one of the first weeks we had VAR, SFC got away with a blatant penalty because the game was over and they couldn't review it.

edit - Also, that handball is hardly an obvious error. It looks bad in slow-mo but everything looks bad in slow mo.

I didn't think you were allowed to either. Does that mean the referee can use the whole half time break to review things? What happens if he realises he made a mistake as the players are walking out for the second half? Can he go back into the first half and award a penalty? Does the half time break start again?

28 minutes ago, Davo said:

I didn't think you were allowed to either. Does that mean the referee can use the whole half time break to review things? What happens if he realises he made a mistake as the players are walking out for the second half? Can he go back into the first half and award a penalty? Does the half time break start again?

:rofl:

They should just review every decision after the game and if they think there should have been a pen they can add a decimal amount based on percentage of penalties made in the history of the game. So you could go off with the score 2-2 and end up winning 3.6 to 2.8. 

They could call it the Coca-Cola Big Mac Post Game Penalty Review. 

Simples.

On 18/4/2018 at 1:24 AM, btron3000 said:

They should just review every decision after the game and if they think there should have been a pen they can add a decimal amount based on percentage of penalties made in the history of the game. So you could go off with the score 2-2 and end up winning 3.6 to 2.8. 

They could call it the Coca-Cola Big Mac Post Game Penalty Review. 

Simples.

:rofl:

Best place on the forums to come for a laugh at the moment.

I guess there's no surprise about that....given the state of officiating in the A League. ;)

2 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

We have a coaching vacancy - I wonder if KGJ is available - he can't referee so he's probably a super coach - that would benefit both groups!

Assistant coach on how to win favours and influence A-league officials. 

And he works at Valentine Sports Park. Just 5km away from Wanderers offices.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Thoughts? 

Incredibly harsh red, I understand contact was made on the calf but what sort of force did he use? Didn’t like how he didn’t actually view the incident himself, just used VAR to make the decision 

Prydz 

straight for mine. The contact is above the foot with studs showing. no matter the force

1) I thought he said Centerlink field.

2) While "using excessive force" is the main condition for a red card, there's also a 2nd part to the description for a red card, which is "endangering the safety of an opponent". His boot went studs up into an opponents knee. He also didn't 'win the ball' he just had it knocked into his foot (which doesn't necessarily matter, but it doesn't help).

Under the laws that is perfectly worthy of a red card, but most refs aren't going to call it in real time. Which is where VAR steps in. It's going to pick up challenges and incidents that the on-field referees miss, and nit-pick them into red cards that would otherwise not happen.

Also: Here's a duck on the pitch in another MLS game.

https://old.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/9c8wks/duck_invades_field_during_real_salt_lake_vs_la/

I’m with Prydz. Harsh. Can’t tell he did it on purpose.

Regardless of whether it was worth a red, I don’t think this is what VAR is for. It should be to overrule obvious errors.

I’m happy that he doesn’t check it himself - that is silly with the ref running over to the sideline to check on a little tv. But don’t take 2 minutes to check it. If you can’t see it’s clearly a red after a couple of quick looks, play on with ref’s original call.

This is the problem with VAR (and video in all sports). People start expecting perfection and it starts getting involved with things it shouldn’t.