Jump to content

The Refereeing Thread


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Generator said:

So I’m sure I read this correctly - a Wellington player cops a red because the VAR and on-field referee don’t know what they doing, the A-League boss admits they got it wrong, only for the match review panel (which is independent) to then uphold the card and the suspension.

If it wasn’t the A-League, I’d be sure this was some farcical dream spawned from the magic tea of the Mad Hatter. What the hell is going on?

You could genuinely have everyone in the bunker or whatever it's called, and the referee, on a heroic dose of shrooms and they would make better decisions.

Link to post
43 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Well, don't ever complain about any decision again, from any referee, ever. Not saying you ever have, but this is what it is about.

We have the technology, and the technology is ok. It's the ******* monkeys making the **** decisions that is ruining VAR.

I have always accepted the referees decision no matter how bad, but of course I am allowed to complain about it just like always. My question to you is has the VAR really improved the decision making of a football match. My answer would be no, its made it worse and on top of that it takes a lot longer to come to a decision and you can't even celebrate a goal like before. If you think its better, good for you :D

Link to post

I just don't get how people who have presumably spent their whole adult lives refereeing, let alone watching games of football, can make these decisions. It's one thing to do it in the heat of the moment live, but to do it after watching the replays...I mean there are a few referees on here, who I assume disagree with last night's decision for example. I just can't fathom how anyone with the slightest knowledge of football could make that decision.

The decisions are so bad that they just lend credence to all the conspiracy theories. I mean if you are a Nix fan, then a conspiracy against your side is genuinely a more logical explanation than anything they could say to justify that decision.

Link to post
3 hours ago, Wanderboy said:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with VAR.

No?

VAR..JPG

99% of the people at home (the only ones this ludicrous system can possibly be for) have a tv much bigger than this. It's ridiculous to stop the game to ask the ref to run over and re-check something that the dudes watching a 60 inch HD TV inside a bunker thingy have half a dozen different angles of.

Link to post

To be fair, could you give the red card for the Lowry challenge? Yes.

Very harsh but yes

Same thing with the Saba challenge in the derby. Very, very harsh red but it’s all up to interpretation

Realistically and what should’ve happened for both the tackles I’ve mentioned would be yellow cards

Link to post
14 minutes ago, matty said:

Imagine if it was Brosque that was stomped, front page news

It's the second time young Baccus has been stomped on...the dog Barbarouses did it last season and only got one week.

Link to post

We aren't fans of the performances of our referees here in the A-league.  While there are exceptions, it seems to me they are regarded more highly when refereeing overseas matches whether they be club games or Asian Cup matches. 

Also, I get the impression our newer referees are usually better regarded than the older referees, at least to start with.

Consequently, it crosses my mind that the referees become too familiar with the small number of A-League clubs and form biases/attitudes they wouldn't otherwise do in a larger league.

Thoughts?

Link to post
On 11/12/2018 at 12:51 PM, Edinburgh said:

We aren't fans of the performances of our referees here in the A-league.  While there are exceptions, it seems to me they are regarded more highly when refereeing overseas matches whether they be club games or Asian Cup matches. 

Also, I get the impression our newer referees are usually better regarded than the older referees, at least to start with.

Consequently, it crosses my mind that the referees become too familiar with the small number of A-League clubs and form biases/attitudes they wouldn't otherwise do in a larger league.

Thoughts?

Agree. 

Some of 5he best refereeing I see most years is during the FFA cup. I remember a game in preseason, a female refereed and she was excellent

 

Link to post
3 hours ago, matty said:

Agree. 

Some of 5he best refereeing I see most years is during the FFA cup. I remember a game in preseason, a female refereed and she was excellent

 

Unfortunately she doesn't get to officiate at the Womens World Cup

Link to post
On 15/12/2018 at 1:40 PM, matty said:

Agree. 

Some of 5he best refereeing I see most years is during the FFA cup. I remember a game in preseason, a female refereed and she was excellent

 

If you’re thinking of Kate Patterson, she’s officiating in the W-League now. 

Link to post
  • 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

My unpopular opinion on referees. They aren’t biased it isn’t a FFA conspiracy against us. They are just incompetent.

 

My opinion is they grow up learning their craft and doing their job, they get to this level and then they are not allowed to, they have someone in their ear all game, they have assistants who want to ref, they have VAR, hell yesterday we even had a foul called by the 4th Official (mate your job is to holdup a ******* board and that's it).  Let them do their job without interference and I cannot guarantee they wont make mistakes but I will guarantee they wont be as bad.

Link to post
35 minutes ago, scarcev said:

My opinion is they grow up learning their craft and doing their job, they get to this level and then they are not allowed to, they have someone in their ear all game, they have assistants who want to ref, they have VAR, hell yesterday we even had a foul called by the 4th Official (mate your job is to holdup a ******* board and that's it).  Let them do their job without interference and I cannot guarantee they wont make mistakes but I will guarantee they wont be as bad.

That's a fair comment. So long as the refs are consistent throughout the game and the season, mistakes should even out. That's the saying and theory at least but we are getting inconsistencies which just magnify the problem.

Link to post
6 minutes ago, Burztur said:

That's a fair comment. So long as the refs are consistent throughout the game and the season, mistakes should even out. That's the saying and theory at least but we are getting inconsistencies which just magnify the problem.

And to make matters worse, these inconsistencies seem to generally be in the favour of certain teams, which is what frustrates the supporters of all the other teams.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...