Sign in to follow this  
Unlimited

The Refereeing Thread

47 minutes ago, BBB said:

So we weren't the only ones complaining about this??? When it happened we all said it was a handball, but none of the replays at the game showed it.

I only saw it when I switched on kayo at half time, couldn't believe it

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

I listened to an excellent podcast with the 2 Robbies interviewing Mark Clattenberg covering VAR and handball.

Worth a listen.

I say replace Ben Wilson with Clattenberg.

22 minutes ago, mack said:

This is interesting.

https://streamable.com/0l5dg

Player on poland was given a second yellow and sent off, only for VAR to review the incident, wipe out the yellow card and change it to a red. Player was already off the pitch. :rofl:

This is going to sound funny but I actually agree with the changed decision. For me it was a straight up red in the first instance. !.......lol

I loved it when the player sees the ref wipe the yelllow tries to go back on and the ref shows him the red.....lol

Yeah it was right I just thought it was funny the whole sequence especially the player running back onto the pitch then getting the red. 

Now for something completely different. Not many people know this but many years ago Glen Campbell (ex American singer) used to assist Referees in the Derby area (England) yep, He was a "Linesman for the County".

Yes I know my way out.....No I can't because it's anatomically impossible..for me anyway.

From Wilson on the latest Hamill penalty 

In the Adelaide v Wanderers match Adelaide were awarded a penalty after a VAR Review. Talk us through this decision.

In the 13th minute of the match Jordy Thomassen is challenged by Brendan Hamill in the penalty area and the referee allows play to continue. The VAR checked the incident. Hamill stretches his leg towards the ball but does not make any contact with the ball.

He makes clear contact with Thomassen’s legs and trips him. The VAR recommends an on-field review and after seeing the replay, the referee reverses his decision and correctly awards a penalty for Adelaide United. 

41 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

From Wilson on the latest Hamill penalty 

In the Adelaide v Wanderers match Adelaide were awarded a penalty after a VAR Review. Talk us through this decision.

In the 13th minute of the match Jordy Thomassen is challenged by Brendan Hamill in the penalty area and the referee allows play to continue. The VAR checked the incident. Hamill stretches his leg towards the ball but does not make any contact with the ball.

He makes clear contact with Thomassen’s legs and trips him. The VAR recommends an on-field review and after seeing the replay, the referee reverses his decision and correctly awards a penalty for Adelaide United. 

I don't know why I keep reading these weekly jokes from Wilson. All I do is get angrier that he keeps covering up the issues and biases by saying that nearly all decisions were correct. No comment on the fact that contact may have been initiated by Thomassen and how this would be seen as a clear and obvious error? Especially when the VAR seems to have been forgotten for the last month or so!

Based on the text updates I'm reading it looks like the VAR is going just as well in the Champions League as it does here...

34: CORNER! Caligiuri cuts inside before shooting from the edge of the area, and his shot cannons behind off Otamendi, seemingly with his arm. The replay shows he tried to move his arm out the way although it did strike it - and VAR will have a look at this..

GOAL! SCHALKE 1-1 MAN CITY (Bentaleb pen 38) Well a seeming eternity after a corner was initially given by Carlos del Cerro Grande, Bentaleb nets from the spot instead! He sends Ederson the wrong way with a confident spot kick into the right-hand side of the net.

Referee Carlos del Cerro Grande should have consulted the on-field monitor before giving Schalke their first penalty. Sky sources have told us the screen was broken though, which stopped the referee from having a second look at the incident, and he was told to go with he VAR official's decision instead. UEFA are expected to release a statement on the incident after the game. 

The entire narrative of VAR is that the referee on the field makes the decision.

Might as well just make it a video ref and not bother with the sideline screens.

54 minutes ago, mack said:

The entire narrative of VAR is that the referee on the field makes the decision.

Might as well just make it a video ref and not bother with the sideline screens.

The Japanese ref in the Australia Korea friendly used the big screen for VAR and instantly awarded the goal for Australia without much delay, and I think thats how VAR should work rather than running to the sideline to check the incidents on the bloody iPad

VAR intervenes in Atletico v Juve goal and ref rescinds goal based on the slightest touch from Morata. Joke. 

VAR sux.

It’s funny seeing all the European football pundits getting excited about VAR then coming to the realisation that it’s actually crap.

Takes you back.

Interesting, 

IFAB's annual general meeting in Aberdeen ruled that intent would no longer be a factor in situations involving goals or goal-scoring opportunities from next season. The law change should stop situations where a goal is scored off a player's arm or hand.

"A goal scored directly from the hand/arm (even if accidental) and a player scoring or creating a goal-scoring opportunity after having gained possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm (even if accidental) will no longer be allowed," IFAB said in a statement.

IFAB said the decision would "provide a more precise and detailed definition for what constitutes handball, in particular with regard to the occasions when a non-deliberate/accidental handball will be penalised."

The body - made up of the four British home nations and representatives from FIFA also approved law changes to stop players from interfering with defensive walls at free kicks.

Under the new rule players from the attacking team will have to be at least one metre away from the wall when a free kick is being taken.

The aim is to cut out the jostling and pushing in walls which frequently causes delays and incidents needing the referee's attention.

The body also approved changes that will force players being substituted to leave the field of play at the nearest touchline rather than walk across to the team's bench or the tunnel, in a bid to reduce time-wasting tactics.

A change to the goal-kick rule will also mean the ball does not have to leave the penalty area at goal kicks.

In situations where the ball hits the referee a "drop ball" will be awarded and there is also a change in the laws governing goalkeeper movements at spot-kicks with the keeper only being required to have one foot on the line at a penalty.

Jets boss Ernie Merrick to appeal $3000 fine for criticising referees

Jets boss Ernie Merrick will mount a personal appeal against a fine for criticising the A-League’s video referee in a bid to challenge a system he says does not allow coaches the chance to defend themselves.

Merrick on Tuesday will appear in front of the A-League’s disciplinary tribunal in what he believes is the first time a coach has challenged a fine under the A-League’s code of conduct.

Competition officials hit Merrick with a $3000 fine for claiming that the video assistant referee (VAR) “must have been asleep” at a key moment during Newcastle’s defeat to Perth in January, noting it was the third time he had been found guilty of making unacceptable statements about match officials.

Merrick says he will pay the fine himself if the disciplinary tribunal denies his appeal, but wants to appear in person to highlight what he believes is a triple iniquity for coaches, as well as inconsistent rulings on what comments are deemed offensive.

“We don’t have the right to defend ourselves in person before the fine is issued, we don’t get input as coaches into policies such as the VAR, and it’s very difficult for us to know where the line is in terms of what we can say,” Merrick said.

“We’ve had instances this season where Markus Babbel, Mark Rudan and Mike Mulvey have all said things critical of the referees and not been sanctioned.

“But I’ve been fined, and I’m told it’s partly because of my ‘history’ — three instances in 290-odd A-League games.

“But the code of conduct is so broad and indistinct that there are a lot of grey areas. When I was asked who applied the initial sanction, I was told it’s all anonymous, so as a coach I don’t know who my accusers are.”

Merrick insists he remains in favour of the VAR system, but can’t understand why coaches are not allowed to contribute to the formulation of A-League policy on both that and broader refereeing issues.

“Every week we’re dealing with frustrations from the VAR yet FFA don’t have any discussion with coaches to explain how much intervention there will be from the VAR, we’re simply issued with instructions,” Merrick said.

“I’ve tried to send video clips and presentations to the head of refereeing but things don’t get any better.

“I don’t think players, fans or players really know what a penalty is anymore, but we don’t get a chance to contribute to the discussion.”

10 hours ago, Davo said:

The appeal will fail as it was aimed at one person, not a swipe a refereeing standards.

and the person he aimed it at was on the Fox Football Pod today.

the only one of the new laws they missed for next season if ratified was that a drop ball will happen if the ball touches the central referee 

I'm sure it will fail but it's his way to protest the system without any real consequences.

It's pretty bad that they find you guilty and a fine before you can provide any sort of defense.

3 hours ago, Davo said:

I'm sure it will fail but it's his way to protest the system without any real consequences.

It's pretty bad that they find you guilty and a fine before you can provide any sort of defense.

Yeah, so unlike the FFA as well ....... 

On 20/03/2019 at 10:20 AM, Davo said:

Tried to watch but said video not available :(

5 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Tried to watch but said video not available :(

Yeah I just tried it again now and says the same for me. Not sure why it got pulled.

Try this:

The bit about "selling" the VAR is ridiculous and has to be stamped out.

12 minutes ago, mack said:

Yeah that was the main thing I took from the video (well that and the Brisbane player preventing a quick free kick and being told it's an easy yellow card, without getting the yellow card).

One of the biggest complaints about VAR is that it takes too long. Both the referee and the assistant agreed it was a goal, got the VAR to confirm their decision (which already took too long) then he decided to waste more time to sell the correct decision. Then he gave himself a pat on the back because Mackay accepted the decision.

7 minutes ago, Davo said:

Yeah I just tried it again now and says the same for me. Not sure why it got pulled.

Try this:

Thanks, that worked.

3 minutes ago, mack said:

One of the things they teach you in refereeing school is that you need to be able to "sell" your decision. KGJ didn't sound too clear to me, so JG came and checked himself, so he could sell the decision to McKay

"Bring back the two hander!"

Amen.

Back to the local leagues - anyone know what's happened to the Blacktown association referees? I sent in an application and haven't heard back. Forked out like $200+ for rego and the Working With Children check (?????) we apparently need now

59 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

"Bring back the two hander!"

Amen.

Back to the local leagues - anyone know what's happened to the Blacktown association referees? I sent in an application and haven't heard back. Forked out like $200+ for rego and the Working With Children check (?????) we apparently need now

Don’t know about Blacktown.

im in Nepean and we had to get our paid WWC by last June.

i reffed a trial game between a Nepean team and a blacktown team the other week. I asked the Blacktown guys if they got refs regularly and they said no.

12 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Don’t know about Blacktown.

im in Nepean and we had to get our paid WWC by last June.

i reffed a trial game between a Nepean team and a blacktown team the other week. I asked the Blacktown guys if they got refs regularly and they said no.

That's what I don't get

It literally says on the Working with Children website: 

image.png.282d97632f0acecd8ddc7bd8c3703132.png

Not happy about having to fork out $80 for something it literally says on the website I don't need - plus the $130 for rego, it's bordering on ridiculous. Next thing you know, they'll say my uniform is out of date and I need the new one

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

That's what I don't get

It literally says on the Working with Children website: 

image.png.282d97632f0acecd8ddc7bd8c3703132.png

Not happy about having to fork out $80 for something it literally says on the website I don't need - plus the $130 for rego, it's bordering on ridiculous. Next thing you know, they'll say my uniform is out of date and I need the new one

It’s a ruling from Football NSW. At least the paid WWC lasts for 5 years.

blacktown feels more expensive than Nepean, who’d have thought.

if you do centres trial games, you should get $63 for adult games based on the Football NSW circular on referee payments you could it off in one weekend.

do you still fit your uniform?

Edited by Paul01
Added info