Sign in to follow this  
Unlimited

The Refereeing Thread

43 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Question: How do I get better at judging offsides?

The really close calls I never feel sure about & generally give the advantage to the attacking side. Sometimes I’ll completely miss the best view as I haven’t turned my head quick enough to make a call. What is the best way to deal with these? How do I get better?

Always difficult if your on your own. 

I just tell both teams on my own so they just have to accept the decision.  I had my first centre last sunday on an AAM/3 game where one guy got called 3 times in a row on the right wing whilst he reckoned he was onside. For me, it a quick a quick glance to the left to show that he was offside.  But they were all close.

Just got a few grumbles which was acceptable. If it turned into dissent, he would have spent 10 minutes on the sideline.

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Question: How do I get better at judging offsides?

The really close calls I never feel sure about & generally give the advantage to the attacking side. Sometimes I’ll completely miss the best view as I haven’t turned my head quick enough to make a call. What is the best way to deal with these? How do I get better?

Just do what the A-League does and release a press conference every Monday saying all your decisions were correct.

Seriously though, if you have no assistants you're always going to miss some close ones so saying that you can only call what you see seems like the best way to manage players.

I once played a game where my body was between the referee and the ball, the ball hit my hip and the referee called handball. I told him it didn't touch my arm, it hit my body and he told me he saw it hit my hand. Had he just said he thought it was handball based on his view I can't argue with that. He had no assistants and it was a difficult angle. Instead by telling me he definitively saw something that clearly didn't happen he's saying that he won't even entertain the possibility that he could be wrong and will make things up to justify it. I didn't make a big thing out of it but a lot of players would be getting 10 mins on the sideline in that scenario.

Can’t agree more, the worst is when you either get a player crossing in front or a decision difficult to view from your angle but the sideline bench can see it all. You call what you see but they probably have the better angle than me, never goes down well :lol:

43 minutes ago, Davo said:

Just do what the A-League does and release a press conference every Monday saying all your decisions were correct.

Seriously though, if you have no assistants you're always going to miss some close ones so saying that you can only call what you see seems like the best way to manage players.

I once played a game where my body was between the referee and the ball, the ball hit my hip and the referee called handball. I told him it didn't touch my arm, it hit my body and he told me he saw it hit my hand. Had he just said he thought it was handball based on his view I can't argue with that. He had no assistants and it was a difficult angle. Instead by telling me he definitively saw something that clearly didn't happen he's saying that he won't even entertain the possibility that he could be wrong and will make things up to justify it. I didn't make a big thing out of it but a lot of players would be getting 10 mins on the sideline in that scenario.

Very well said.! 

I have never even gotten antsy when a ref simply says he's doing his best etc etc. Massive respect. 

34 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Temporary change at the Womens World Cup

Goalkeeper penalty punishment changed after World Cup outcry https://www.sbs.com.au/goalkeeper-penalty-punishment-changed-after-world-cup-outcry?cid=twgapp:socialshare:copylink

What a clickbait article

Basically says goalkeepers won’t be booked if they move off the line before the ball is kicked... during a penalty shootout

8 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

What a clickbait article

Basically says goalkeepers won’t be booked if they move off the line before the ball is kicked... during a penalty shootout

Don't know about being clickbait. It is a significant change. But, I think, the article still gets it wrong. The article says no yellow in shoot outs. But my reading of the temporary change is no yellow for any penalties for the remainder of the tournament.

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

Don't know about being clickbait. It is a significant change. But, I think, the article still gets it wrong. The article says no yellow in shoot outs. But my reading of the temporary change is no yellow for any penalties for the remainder of the tournament.

This Reuters article makes it more clear: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-soccer-worldcup-ifab/goalkeepers-at-world-cup-to-avoid-bookings-for-stepping-off-line-in-shootouts-ifab-idUSKCN1TM1VS

"Goalkeepers will continue to be booked for coming off the line before penalties are taken in ‘normal time’ as IFAB said it would be unfair to those who had already been cautioned for similar offences if they changed the rule midway through the tournament."

They’ve looked at the number of times its happened so far and come to the logical conclusion that in a shootout they’re inevitably going to send someone off for two VAR yellow cards.

Love the reasoning Collina used (I must admit I have a bit of a man crush for the bloke, what a referee :wub:), there is no small or big offside, you are either offside or not. 

I think the difficulty for most is that in the past “benefit of the doubt” was used for linesman missing the call by a few cms/mms. Now that we have the technology we are able to tell if they are offside or not, just like we can tell if the ball had crossed the line for a goal or not.

No (or he can’t understand) controversy around the refereeing for the WC? That’s a bit of a joke, I think there were some horrible officiating & the way the women referee have used var has been pretty bad. I don’t blame them, they’ve hardly had any in hand experience with it so no surprises been so many issues. 

Was there anything about the new handball law & interpretation? Do you know if the video from his press conference is still available?

38 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Love the reasoning Collina used (I must admit I have a bit of a man crush for the bloke, what a referee :wub:), there is no small or big offside, you are either offside or not. 

I think the difficulty for most is that in the past “benefit of the doubt” was used for linesman missing the call by a few cms/mms. Now that we have the technology we are able to tell if they are offside or not, just like we can tell if the ball had crossed the line for a goal or not.

No (or he can’t understand) controversy around the refereeing for the WC? That’s a bit of a joke, I think there were some horrible officiating & the way the women referee have used var has been pretty bad. I don’t blame them, they’ve hardly had any in hand experience with it so no surprises been so many issues. 

Was there anything about the new handball law & interpretation? Do you know if the video from his press conference is still available?

I’ll never forgive Collina for the Champions League Qualifier against Villa Real

Everton qualifies as 4th place English team, kopites whinged until the point where UEFA changed the rule to put last year’s winner in (which wasn’t the rule). 

That meant 5 English sides, Collina comes out of retirement to referee the game, disallows a Duncan Ferguson equaliser due to a nonexistent foul, then goes back into retirement 

If it had been the kopites they would have received a written apology and a replay 

On 02/06/2019 at 6:06 PM, Prydzopolis said:

To cancel a whole round seems harsh but what other way do you end up around it?

If you only stop the teams playing who were involved with that behavior, what happens to the games? Do these teams forfeit? Who gets points?

Difficult situation to find the best solution here, do Canterbury districts use Sin Bins? At least they’ve identified the issues & linked it to decrease in ref numbers. Hope something comes of it.

Spot on 100%, seriously though, why is his hand in that position in the penalty box of all areas. Craziness. Don’t know how you blame the referee there :acute:

No Sin Bin I’m Canterbury League, I don’t think it would solve the problem.

Generally its the same couple of clubs (or at least from what I see)

We has a game the other week against one of said clubs, the referee did everything he could not to send one of them off. There was a clear last man foul which he gave a yellow for, was a clear red.

A bunch of bad tackles in the game. No second yellows,  in the last five minutes he finally gives a second yellow for a challenge which could have been a straight red.

the guy goes on threatening referee, I know where you parked...

referees don’t want the aggro of sending somebody off when they are being threatened and need to get back to their car, can’t see them being keen to use a sin bin either 

Who determines the accuracy %? There were several decisions with the aid of VAR that were questionable at best. Or potential penalties looking more obvious than others that were given where there was no indication that VAR even had a look. 

I'd rather not have VAR at all, but if it's used it needs to be right every time.

Who determines the accuracy %?

Are we talking offsides here?

others that were given where there was no indication that VAR even had a look. 

Called a silent check, they review every incident in the game but only intervene when it is obviously wrong or wants the referee to review the decision.

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

No Sin Bin I’m Canterbury League, I don’t think it would solve the problem.

Generally its the same couple of clubs (or at least from what I see)

We has a game the other week against one of said clubs, the referee did everything he could not to send one of them off. There was a clear last man foul which he gave a yellow for, was a clear red.

A bunch of bad tackles in the game. No second yellows,  in the last five minutes he finally gives a second yellow for a challenge which could have been a straight red.

the guy goes on threatening referee, I know where you parked...

referees don’t want the aggro of sending somebody off when they are being threatened and need to get back to their car, can’t see them being keen to use a sin bin either 

Special Incident Report time

Are we talking offsides here?

Called a silent check, they review every incident in the game but only intervene when it is obviously wrong or wants the referee to review the decision.

No, who determines the decisions were right xx% of the time? The referees obviously. I'm saying there is a different opinion being ignored.

Well they missed several obviously wrong or warranting a referee review.

The nit-picking of officials is hurting the game in my opinion. Get rid of all video refereeing, even encourage TV presenters to relax. If a guy looks offside by 20cm they get hysterical. 

I miss the old days where you just played the game and got on with it. The game flowed and it was beautiful. 

Of course respect for referees is important too and cards should fly for dissent. It works. 

Having said that, referees should act like people, admit when you're unsure and that you're doing your best. Nothing gets someone's back up more than someone that thinks they're right when it's pretty clear they're not. 

Just my two cents... I'm getting old. 

10 hours ago, matty said:

The nit-picking of officials is hurting the game in my opinion. Get rid of all video refereeing, even encourage TV presenters to relax. If a guy looks offside by 20cm they get hysterical. 

I miss the old days where you just played the game and got on with it. The game flowed and it was beautiful. 

Of course respect for referees is important too and cards should fly for dissent. It works. 

Having said that, referees should act like people, admit when you're unsure and that you're doing your best. Nothing gets someone's back up more than someone that thinks they're right when it's pretty clear they're not. 

Just my two cents... I'm getting old. 

Pretty much agree with you here (good grief, maybe that means I'm getting old too).

I would add that TV commentators (and the media in general) need to have clause in their contracts that says they must actually know and understand the rules before commenting on a decision and why it's right or wrong or whatever. Most of them (well, the Fox team anyhow) really have very little clue.

22 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Pretty much agree with you here (good grief, maybe that means I'm getting old too).

I would add that TV commentators (and the media in general) need to have clause in their contracts that says they must actually know and understand the rules before commenting on a decision and why it's right or wrong or whatever. Most of them (well, the Fox team anyhow) really have very little clue.

Robbie Slater and Brenton Speed are living on rules from 10-15 years ago.

I can't imagine Slater going easy if the Smurfs don't a decision their way.

35 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Robbie Slater and Brenton Speed are living on rules from 10-15 years ago.

I can't imagine Slater going easy if the Smurfs don't a decision their way.

And Harper. FMD the 3 of them need their bald heads knocked together.

13 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

No, who determines the decisions were right xx% of the time? The referees obviously. I'm saying there is a different opinion being ignored.

Well they missed several obviously wrong or warranting a referee review.

It’s usually an assessor in the stands who is marking the referee on every decision & non decision they make.

For example PLC was saying last year in Russia, referees made 99.4% right calls but without without VAR that figure would have been 95%.

Kate Jacewicz was the centre for the Sweden v Canada R16 game.

She did not get a quarter final.

At least she in the WWC unlike our "beloved" A-league referees.

If Kurt Ams and Chris Beath are our best we are in trouble next season.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Kate Jacewicz was the centre for the Sweden v Canada R16 game.

Thought it was a horror show, at least it wasn’t the worst on show at the WWC.

Been horribly disappointed at the consistency of the handball law & the threshold for fouls in the area. Some given, some not.

In saying that, nobody could top Cameroon vs England as the game in which the team has completely lost it for no reason. Sort of stuff you don’t see at amateur level

Posted (edited)

So is the last season that Ben Wilson appoints A-league referees?

It was reported that the referees for the A-league, W-league and Y-league will be taken over by the independent A-league.

Could we see the end of biased refereeing?

Edited by Paul01
Correction

I’m guessing that they won’t be rocking the boat, they’ll pick him up because he has the most experience but won’t be surprised if they start looking elsewhere.

On 13/07/2019 at 12:52 PM, Paul01 said:

biased refereeing

I think it has more to do with ability rather than anything else, just like we shouldn’t expect the A-League to compete with the top leagues in the world, we shouldn’t compare our referees to those in the top leagues.

Would be nice not to get shafted a few times every season, that would be nice :good:

Back to grass roots, yesterday was my first time been assessed to complete my level 3 qualification. It was supposed to be next week, glad I didn’t have a week to ruminate over the game & did well.

Funnily enough, had it been a different day I would have walked off miserable. One team complained the whole match, made me doubt myself & made me feel like the match wasn’t going so well. Just having someone there, let alone an ex international referee there telling you that you were fine & doing well. They were just complaining too much in the end but made me feel much better about things.

Was one of those teams that you couldn’t do anything right. When they got the foul, they wanted the advantage, when they got the foul I didn’t blow it up soon enough. Then they spent the whole second half either getting silly yellow cards or baiting me to give them a second yellow.

This was after they were down 4-0, got back to 4-3 but seemed more intent wanting a yellow (one guy kicked the ball away wasting more time when they needed to score in the last 5 and another just constantly badgering me)

7 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Back to grass roots, yesterday was my first time been assessed to complete my level 3 qualification. It was supposed to be next week, glad I didn’t have a week to ruminate over the game & did well.

Funnily enough, had it been a different day I would have walked off miserable. One team complained the whole match, made me doubt myself & made me feel like the match wasn’t going so well. Just having someone there, let alone an ex international referee there telling you that you were fine & doing well. They were just complaining too much in the end but made me feel much better about things.

Was one of those teams that you couldn’t do anything right. When they got the foul, they wanted the advantage, when they got the foul I didn’t blow it up soon enough. Then they spent the whole second half either getting silly yellow cards or baiting me to give them a second yellow.

This was after they were down 4-0, got back to 4-3 but seemed more intent wanting a yellow (one guy kicked the ball away wasting more time when they needed to score in the last 5 and another just constantly badgering me)

Congrats! I did my Level 3s a few years ago but I never got assessed LOL

Did you give a second yellow?

I've had twerpy teams like that in the past. If they're losing, I suck time out of the game. I call the captain over and say, "Look, your team is losing discipline. I'm not really liking constantly pulling up the fouls. You have x number of players on yellow cards and there are a couple of challenges there that could've been second yellows. I need you, as the captain, to deal with it and bring them into line. You have z minutes to go, and you're down 4-whatever. You have a chance at drawing or winning this game, but this stupid stuff has to stop. If it doesn't stop and there's another bad challenge, then I will have to deal with it in accordance with the Laws of the Game." If they're really bad, maybe add a couple more sentences and reaaaaaaally draw it out

Goes one of two ways usually, but I've found once you remind them of the Laws of the Game, they typically stop.

And for that guy who kicked the ball away wasting time for his team, if he was already on a yellow, I would pull him up and give him a talking to. Being on the losing side doesn't mean you're exempt from the Laws.

Thanks for that :good:

In the end, I only gave 1 second yellow but was one of those situations where 2 or 3 others were walking the tight rope. It was right at the end, I had blown for a foul on the edge of the area & the guy was screaming in my face to give the guy a second yellow literally seconds after I had blown the whistle, after constantly badgering through the game & been one of the people I had warned in the first half. Probably could have done it earlier in the half but contrary to what many players tend to assume, we don’t like having to send players off unless necessary.

You know what the worst thing was? The captain was a PL referee & knew I was been assessed. He was one of the worst players guilty of the behavior shown on the field, critiquing every decision I made, just frustrating. Funnily enough, post match the assessor said that he was going to report him to the referee committee.

The one thing I have learnt from the game & the feedback is that I’m being too nice. Letting the players ask me too much, letting them talk way too much in the background & not nipping things in the bud earlier. I find my style leans towards managing the players through the game to get them to come around to win them over but perhaps I need to set better boundaries earlier in the game so it doesn’t get out of hand.