Sign in to follow this  
Unlimited

The Refereeing Thread

Interesting use of the new goal kick rule.

I like it 

Lol I saw that. First thought was there's a law about doing a trick that means it's a caution + indirect free kick.

But reading that law itself it only applies to one player who does a "deliberate trick". I don't see how even a very wide application of the phrase "deliberate trick" could apply to a player who is standing still and does nothing but head the ball back to the keeper, after the keeper has played it to them legally.

If I were the ref I'd caution them both for having a lack of respect for the game because they were clearly intending to subvert the spirit of the laws, give an indirect free kick, then send the situation as a whole up for clarification as to if that counts as a "deliberate trick" by the player who headed it.

I would remove the entire "deliberate trick" section.

I would replace it with "attempts to subvert or circumvent any law of the game" as a catch all for unspecified cheating or playing against the spirit of the laws (as determined by the ref).

Referees would then have two laws that cover pretty much any non-specific form of cheating, subversion, poor behaviour, lack of sportsmanship as being worthy of a yellow card.

If they don't clarify it then they may as well let the keeper start with the ball in their hands for goal kicks because it'll happen every time.

I'm almost tempted to go the other way with the rule and let players do flick ups and tricks to pass the ball back to the keeper. If you want to juggle the ball up to your head to knock it back to the keeper good luck to you. If it works it looks cool and if it doesn't something exciting will happen.

3 hours ago, mack said:

Lol I saw that. First thought was there's a law about doing a trick that means it's a caution + indirect free kick.

But reading that law itself it only applies to one player who does a "deliberate trick". I don't see how even a very wide application of the phrase "deliberate trick" could apply to a player who is standing still and does nothing but head the ball back to the keeper, after the keeper has played it to them legally.

If I were the ref I'd caution them both for having a lack of respect for the game because they were clearly intending to subvert the spirit of the laws, give an indirect free kick, then send the situation as a whole up for clarification as to if that counts as a "deliberate trick" by the player who headed it.

I would remove the entire "deliberate trick" section.

I would replace it with "attempts to subvert or circumvent any law of the game" as a catch all for unspecified cheating or playing against the spirit of the laws (as determined by the ref).

Referees would then have two laws that cover pretty much any non-specific form of cheating, subversion, poor behaviour, lack of sportsmanship as being worthy of a yellow card.

Yep indirect free kick.

I once saw a clip of a player who got on his hands and knees to head a ball to his keeper as a training exercise. We, referees were asked what the ruling was.

It was an IDFK to the attacking for failing to keep in the spirit of the Game.

3 hours ago, mack said:

Ban keepers from picking up the ball at all from their own team-mates.

We would of been in deep **** in S6/7 then...:ninja:  How many ******* back passes to the keeper...? I lost count.

19 hours ago, Davo said:

Imagine Hammil and Vedran trying that, it would end up in the back of the net or out for a corner 

Temporary Dismissals (Sin bin) in England

England's FA to adopt sin-bins in junior matches https://www.sbs.com.au/england-s-fa-to-adopt-sin-bins-in-junior-matches?cid=twgapp:socialshare:copylink

about 20 association in NSW have implemented it and it helps. 

Unfortunately,  not being implemented in professional leagues is idiotic. Imagine Brosque if it had been over the last 5 seasons.

Temporary Dismissals don't  help when a player disagrees with a decision regarding a decision made and decides to swear about it. That's still a straight red (R6) which I had award last Sunday. That player will be missing the next 4 games if it was his first offence.

47 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

England's FA to adopt sin-bins in junior matches 

It’s excellent, they’ve impelemented it from the top down & have a uniform approach across all the different competitions. Have heard good things from it’s use in preseason games.

49 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Just hope they have a clear uniform approach from FNSW down to all associations in the future. Look forward to using it either in the central coast or churches.

Make it like futsal, can't pass to your keeper twice before an opponent plays it or just can't at all. Would speed up play and make it more interesting. 

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

It’s excellent, they’ve impelemented it from the top down & have a uniform approach across all the different competitions. Have heard good things from it’s use in preseason games.

Just hope they have a clear uniform approach from FNSW down to all associations in the future. Look forward to using it either in the central coast or churches.

No such luck on a straight implementation.

In the youth system, Football NSW do no issue a yellow card if a player is guilty of dissent so the players 5 minutes off without any other sanction. It's very confusing. Not sure why.

In my association,  it was decided that we wouldn't follow the Football NSW approach. We still  issue the yellow card for dissent (Y2 which goes to a players tally for the season) and then use a 2 fingered point to the technical area on the sideline to signal the TD. The player then sits out for 5 minutes (12yo to 17yo) or 10 minute (for 18s and over).

5 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Temporary Dismissals (Sin bin) in England

England's FA to adopt sin-bins in junior matches https://www.sbs.com.au/england-s-fa-to-adopt-sin-bins-in-junior-matches?cid=twgapp:socialshare:copylink

Unfortunately,  not being implemented in professional leagues is idiotic. Imagine Brosque if it had been over the last 5 seasons.

Temporary Dismissals don't  help when a player disagrees with a decision regarding a decision made and decides to swear about it. That's still a straight red (R6) which I had award last Sunday. That player will be missing the next 4 games if it was his first offence.

It have made no difference with Brosque, under current rules he should get a yellow and he never did 

8 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

It have made no difference with Brosque, under current rules he should get a yellow and he never did 

Brosque should have seen red more than yellow. Absusive gestures as well.

This is true, however, he was Captain of the untouchables and the Man u of Asia, and Referees were fully aware of the consequences should they upset a  self centered twat such as Brosque. 

may or may not have got a yellow and a sin bin for dissent this season...

On 29/07/2019 at 1:49 PM, Davo said:

Now appears to be given the okay

1 hour ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

may or may not have got a yellow and a sin bin for dissent this season...

How has your coverage been this year of referees?

11 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

How has your coverage been this year of referees?

pretty good. only twice have we not had a referee - and maybe half the games we've been lucky enough to have two assistants as well.

14 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Now appears to be given the okay

That's crazy. So he's saying the legality of it is dependent on whether the referee believes the players are doing it to waste time?

My understanding is that there's nothing in the laws to do with "time wasting", just delaying the restart of play. Once the keeper has chipped it to the defender play has restarted so delaying the restart no longer applies. If a team wants to waste time they could hold up the goal kick until the referee tells them to hurry up, then chip it to the defender who heads it back, the keeper holds it for as long as they're allowed, then drops it and basically takes the goal kick as they would have anyway. I guess the referee can approach it from an unsporting behavior angle although it's a little abstract, they don't apply it that way when a team runs into the corner to chew up some time.

If it's considered legal then as I said before, they may as well just do away with goal kicks and let the keeper restart with the ball in their hands as it'll happen every goal kick anyway.

1 hour ago, Davo said:

If it's considered legal then as I said before, they may as well just do away with goal kicks and let the keeper restart with the ball in their hands as it'll happen every goal kick anyway.

Me too, I find it difficult to believe this is the case

1 hour ago, Davo said:

So he's saying the legality of it is dependent on whether the referee believes the players are doing it to waste time?

No, he is saying that IFAB have told him this is the way that they are telling referees to interpret the LOTG

Posted (edited)

So referees on here if a player repeatedly uses the word “spastic” as a term of abuse in a game, and does it as the referee is telling him to calm down should he get a yellow? 

For personal reasons I find it very offensive, and I lost it after the game. I’m tempted to complain to league, not that I’m any angel on the field 

BTW we don’t have a sin bin 

Edited by StringerBellend

19 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

So referees on here if a player repeatedly uses the word “spastic” as a term of abuse in a game, and does it as the referee is telling him to calm down should he get a yellow? 

For personal reasons I find it very offensive, and I lost it after the game. I’m tempted to complain to league, not that I’m any angel on the field 

BTW we don’t have a sin bin 

What was the tone? 

I have heard that word used once on a field and another player said he found it offensive. The other player stopped using it.

So this issue is on the border of yellow or red.

Abuse by word or action is a red card.

But there are some words which are understood by older referees as abuse but may not be understood by younger referees and this one is a dilemma. 

A quiet word with referee may have helped, but angry word wouldn’t.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

What was the tone? 

I have heard that word used once on a field and another player said he found it offensive. The other player stopped using it.

So this issue is on the border of yellow or red.

Abuse by word or action is a red card.

But there are some words which are understood by older referees as abuse but may not be understood by younger referees and this one is a dilemma. 

A quiet word with referee may have helped, but angry word wouldn’t.

Aggressive. It was amongst a whole bunch of other abuse, which didn’t get to me as much (I have family and friends with CP and other disabilities so I lost it a little after the game)

I told the referee a couple of times it wasn’t on in 2019. I attempted to do it calmly as I could 

Was a young referee and he was intimidated by the other team. Which is a problem in Canterbury league 

Referee spoke to the guy but for mine should have booked him would have stopped it then 

Edited by StringerBellend

9 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Aggressive. It was amongst a whole bunch of other abuse, which didn’t get to me as much (I have family and friends with CP and other disabilities so I lost it a little after the game)

I told the referee a couple of times it wasn’t on in 2019. I attempted to do it calmly as I could 

Was a young referee and he was intimidated by the other team. Which is a problem in Canterbury league 

Referee spoke to the guy but for mine should have booked him would have stopped it then 

In my association, that would not be tolerated. It would be dissent against another player at the minimum and potentially Abuse with a red card given to the player using the word.

On what you’re said, it was dissent but he would not have been given a temporary dismissal as that is reserved for Dissent against a Match Official.

I would have awarded a yellow and said to the player that he would be seeing the sideline next time I heard it. 

As to the aggression by the other team, there may have needed to more than 1 yellow card. I would have started giving free kicks early in the game to take the heat out of it as more often than not. But that does depend on the teams involved, positions on the table, history between players&/or spectators.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

In my association, that would not be tolerated. It would be dissent against another player at the minimum and potentially Abuse with a red card given to the player using the word.

On what you’re said, it was dissent but he would not have been given a temporary dismissal as that is reserved for Dissent against a Match Official.

I would have awarded a yellow and said to the player that he would be seeing the sideline next time I heard it. 

As to the aggression by the other team, there may have needed to more than 1 yellow card. I would have started giving free kicks early in the game to take the heat out of it as more often than not. But that does depend on the teams involved, positions on the table, history between players&/or spectators.

Why does that matter?

54 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Why does that matter?

The heat in some games is simply due to history like when a melee happened earlier in the season or previous seasons. But irrelevant to any punishes but can help when officiating.

Two send offs in my one match today - both for dissent

After yellows for normal dissent, the second one was like... wtf

So for the first one, the goalkeeper - literally five seconds after I had given the first yellow - keeps going on about the challenge I missed earlier. I tell the goalkeeper to come to me so I can suck time out of the game, basically tell him to stop. Like, he's already on a yellow. Goalkeeper says back to me, "Why should I go over to you? Meet me halfway".

Then here's the thing: I walk forward, he walks backward. Goalkeeper then goes, "Nah come over here".

Goalkeeper thinks he's the smartest person in the world. Probably thinks I won't give him two yellows in a minute.

Anyway, goalkeeper is being a smart-ass so I go: second yellow, there's your red, see you next season.

Second one happened after the game. He goes over to me, doesn't shake my hand, and the first words out of his mouth are, "You should go back to Rooball, you can't even keep up". Only problem is, I'm still on the field so...