Sign in to follow this  
Unlimited

The Refereeing Thread

22 hours ago, teddies said:

I give credit to all you guys (girls included) out there in the local leagues running around with whistles in your mouths. You get unwarranted abuse regardless of whether it's related to your call or the game in general. The abusers are like real life keyboard warriors. Like, half of the things coming out of their mouths you wouldn't say to anyone outside of the pitch, right (maybe those who have road rage? and I also get the feeling that hurling abuse is now seen as part and parcel of being a spectator? (not all spectators). 

anyway, all the power to you. You all deserve a lot more match fee and a lot more respect. 

Yours truly, former abuse hurler. 

Teddies

Can I also add that my abuse was more like witty banter. I never got personal and threatened to sue or kill anyone. lol

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

A worthy mention

Worthy mention, First female referee in second division of France. Last year was first female referee to take a Ligue 1 match before taking the WWC final. Now taking the Super Cup. Great stuff :good:

21 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Good yarn. 

After the heat of battle, explanations smooth over disagreements. 

Unfortunately, those post-match press conferences by Managers without decisions explained to them allows for controversy and interesting TV.  However, attitudes to referees are formed by poor responses and this translates poorly to those of who officiate at grassroots.

The attitude of the players is interesting. Nothing but respect from the professionals. However,  in the heat of battle during a game things seem different. Just look a Brosque and Matt Simon for may off pitch show the utmost respect for match officials but on the pitch we are given a different picture.

And, directly from an A-league match "We are trained to keep players on the pitch." That just does not help if serious foul play, violent conduct and abuse (of players or match officials) is not dealt with appropriately on pitch, those at grassroots enforcing the LOTG struggle with the responses from players and coaches. I call many a foul throw from juniors and occasionally adults, the response I got from one coach was "but it's the same as A-league throws"

We need consistent application of the LOTG from the professional leagues to grassroots with no tolerance to abuse against anyone on the pitch e.g. Craig Goodwin telling Riera to f*** o** with no action taken by referee. Goodwin should have been sent off for that. Let alone the multiple Brosque and Matt Simon incidents.

Don't know if this performance by Italian defender Claudio Gentile set some sort of record. In the 1982 World Cup he was tasked with marking Maradona in a group match.

Gentile tripped, kicked, elbowed, bumped etc etc Maradona consistently and ferociously recording 32 fouls. 

After the game the players didn't bother exchanging shirts...probably as Maradona didn't have much of his left on his back.

I wonder how much the Ref got in match fees for His performance?

Treatment such as this was commonly dished out by defenders on Class attackers in the 60's, 70, and 80's. Players such as Maradona, Pele, Best and Cruyff etc have/ had the permanent physical scars on their legs to prove it.

Jarred Gillett at it again in the English Championship.

He centred the Blackburn Rovers v Middlesbrough game (win to Blackburn Rovers). He issue 8 yellows in total to Blackburn and 3 to Middlesbrough. No reds. A-league form:xnod:

He also centred the Round 2 game between Derby County and Swansea. 3 yellows in that game.

Edited by Paul01
Added info