Sign in to follow this  
Unlimited

The Refereeing Thread

22 hours ago, teddies said:

I give credit to all you guys (girls included) out there in the local leagues running around with whistles in your mouths. You get unwarranted abuse regardless of whether it's related to your call or the game in general. The abusers are like real life keyboard warriors. Like, half of the things coming out of their mouths you wouldn't say to anyone outside of the pitch, right (maybe those who have road rage? and I also get the feeling that hurling abuse is now seen as part and parcel of being a spectator? (not all spectators). 

anyway, all the power to you. You all deserve a lot more match fee and a lot more respect. 

Yours truly, former abuse hurler. 

Teddies

Can I also add that my abuse was more like witty banter. I never got personal and threatened to sue or kill anyone. lol

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

A worthy mention

Worthy mention, First female referee in second division of France. Last year was first female referee to take a Ligue 1 match before taking the WWC final. Now taking the Super Cup. Great stuff :good:

21 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Good yarn. 

After the heat of battle, explanations smooth over disagreements. 

Unfortunately, those post-match press conferences by Managers without decisions explained to them allows for controversy and interesting TV.  However, attitudes to referees are formed by poor responses and this translates poorly to those of who officiate at grassroots.

The attitude of the players is interesting. Nothing but respect from the professionals. However,  in the heat of battle during a game things seem different. Just look a Brosque and Matt Simon for may off pitch show the utmost respect for match officials but on the pitch we are given a different picture.

And, directly from an A-league match "We are trained to keep players on the pitch." That just does not help if serious foul play, violent conduct and abuse (of players or match officials) is not dealt with appropriately on pitch, those at grassroots enforcing the LOTG struggle with the responses from players and coaches. I call many a foul throw from juniors and occasionally adults, the response I got from one coach was "but it's the same as A-league throws"

We need consistent application of the LOTG from the professional leagues to grassroots with no tolerance to abuse against anyone on the pitch e.g. Craig Goodwin telling Riera to f*** o** with no action taken by referee. Goodwin should have been sent off for that. Let alone the multiple Brosque and Matt Simon incidents.

Don't know if this performance by Italian defender Claudio Gentile set some sort of record. In the 1982 World Cup he was tasked with marking Maradona in a group match.

Gentile tripped, kicked, elbowed, bumped etc etc Maradona consistently and ferociously recording 32 fouls. 

After the game the players didn't bother exchanging shirts...probably as Maradona didn't have much of his left on his back.

I wonder how much the Ref got in match fees for His performance?

Treatment such as this was commonly dished out by defenders on Class attackers in the 60's, 70, and 80's. Players such as Maradona, Pele, Best and Cruyff etc have/ had the permanent physical scars on their legs to prove it.

Posted (edited)

Jarred Gillett at it again in the English Championship.

He centred the Blackburn Rovers v Middlesbrough game (win to Blackburn Rovers). He issue 8 yellows in total to Blackburn and 3 to Middlesbrough. No reds. A-league form:xnod:

He also centred the Round 2 game between Derby County and Swansea. 3 yellows in that game.

Edited by Paul01
Added info

1 hour ago, Davo said:

Might have to my tipping for that game.

He probably substitute in his mind, Watford for the Smurfs and West Ham for WS Wanderers.

Or am wrong on that assessment?

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Might have to my tipping for that game.

He probably substitute in his mind, Watford for the Smurfs and West Ham for WS Wanderers.

Or am wrong on that assessment?

He'll favour the Kopites just as he did here where he favoured the Kopites of the ALeague

5 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

He'll favour the Kopites just as he did here where he favoured the Kopites of the ALeague

So who are the kopites in Watford v West ham game?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

So who are the kopites in Watford v West ham game?

Neither..really I was more thinking of when he gets the true kopites games on the EPL 

Watford file under mostly harmless small club

west Ham meh

Edited by StringerBellend

21 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Neither..really I was more thinking of when he gets the true kopites games on the EPL 

Watford file under mostly harmless small club

west Ham meh

Gillett supported Liverpool and to declare it on his application. He is not allowed to officiate at their games.

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Gillett supported Liverpool and to declare it on his application. He is not allowed to officiate at their games.

I should have guessed he was a Kopite 

IFAB issues circular - big emphasis on leagues using VAR must penalize goalkeepers on penalties if they leave the line before the kick is taken

http://static-3eb8.kxcdn.com/documents/822/164203_210819_Circular_17_LoG_Laws_clarification_2019_20_EN.pdf

Competitions using VAR can decide not to yellow card keepers encroaching.

But only for shootouts.

But if they encroach a few times then you card them anyway.

Oh and also we're allowing referees/VAR to ignore encroachment if the kick is missed, or it rebounds from the goalposts.

They've taken what used to be a simple law that was generally ignored by referees, and turned it into a situation where one single offence (keeper encroachment), now has 6? Different results.

GK Encroachment seen by match officials or VAR in a regulation time penalty kick and shot saved = Retake & Yellow Card

GK Encroachment seen by match officials or VAR in a regulation time penalty kick and shot missed/rebounds off posts = No retake, no card.

GK Encroachment seen by match officials or VAR in a penalty shootout kick where "YC dispensation" is used and shot saved = Retake, no card.

GK Encroachment seen by match officials or VAR in a penalty shootout kick where "YC dispensation" is used and shot saved, but keeper has "persistently" offended = Retake, yellow card.

GK Encroachment seen by match officials or VAR in a penalty shootout kick where "dispensation" is not used and shot saved = Retake, yellow card.

GK Encroachment seen by match officials or VAR in a penalty shootout kick and shot missed/rebounds off posts = No retake, no card.

Also, it's ridiculous to add a law that makes it a dropped ball if it touches the referee, and then put in an exception if it goes out out of play. If the ref touching the ball is such a dramatic intervention IFAB believes that event requires stopping the game to do a drop ball, then it shouldn't matter what happens to the ball after it touches them. It should be stopped immediately! So a ref after he touches the ball, now has to wait and "play advantage" to see what happens to the ball after it touches them, instead of just blowing it up immediately.

Haha, this little note at the end:

"Reviews are not permitted for a ‘second chance’ to look at an incident or to confirm or ‘sell’ a decision which was not clearly wrong."

Gillett said exactly that when Fox Sports put a microphone on him.

image.png.4c5981bc01f61983455bda65723d1280.png

Sometimes I really struggle to understand what they were thinking (or perhaps more importantly, not thinking) when they come up with their decisions/interpretations of the laws and the application of VAR.

12 hours ago, mack said:

Also, it's ridiculous to add a law that makes it a dropped ball if it touches the referee, and then put in an exception if it goes out out of play. If the ref touching the ball is such a dramatic intervention IFAB believes that event requires stopping the game to do a drop ball, then it shouldn't matter what happens to the ball after it touches them. It should be stopped immediately! So a ref after he touches the ball, now has to wait and "play advantage" to see what happens to the ball after it touches them, instead of just blowing it up immediately.

That's insane. So if a shot takes a small deflection off a referee and the keeper saves it it's a drop ball, but if it takes a bigger deflection, the keeper can't reach it and it goes in then it's a goal.

14 hours ago, mack said:

Oh and also we're allowing referees/VAR to ignore encroachment if the kick is missed, or it rebounds from the goalposts.

Off the post as long as the encroached player does not interfere. They’ve changed encroachment for outfield players that VAR will only intervene if the encroached player scores.

14 hours ago, mack said:

Competitions using VAR can decide not to yellow card keepers encroaching.

No they can’t, they can interpret things differently (think handball in CL to PL last season) but not when it comes to absolutes (think offside, on or off). This is why IFAB are intervening.

14 hours ago, mack said:

it's ridiculous to add a law that makes it a dropped ball if it touches the referee, and then put in an exception if it goes out out of play

This was introduced from the WWC (haven’t just introduced it midseason) & makes perfect sense. The issue is when the attacking team loses the ball, then lose possession or worse

Attacking team lose possession after hitting the referee = drop ball to attacking team. If the attacking team still have the ball, no need to call a drop ball. If the ball is already going out, it will restart the same way, no need to call a drop ball.

The caveat is if it happens in the box = keepers ball. Drop balls will no longer be contested.

1 hour ago, Davo said:

So if a shot takes a small deflection off a referee and the keeper saves it it's a drop ball, but if it takes a bigger deflection, the keeper can't reach it and it goes in then it's a goal.

No, this can’t & won’t happen, will be a uncontested drop ball. If shot deflects off referee & scores = drop ball to attacking team. If deflection off referee & goal keeper saves, then goal scored, drop ball to attacking team. If shot was going wide & deflected off referee, will be a goal kick.

if it hits the referee in the box, drop ball to goal keeper (uncontested). Under the changes, all drop balls will be uncontested. 

Have seen some comments on Jared Gillet in the EPL, some rather impressive feedback from the referee community over there

Was at the Cardiff/Huddersfield game this evening. Very impressed with Jarred Gillett, thought he had a really good game. He was wearing a FIFA badge too so obviously hasn’t had to give that up to transfer to the English Leagues

Good to hear he did well. Heard a lot of good things from refs in England and abroad, seems a good addition and I’m sure he will push for a place on SG1 in the near future 👍🏼

We’re lucky to have him, he an absolute class referee, love his approach and management! Good luck to him, he will be a huge success I am sure!

just had that conversation with my son, spoke to players throughout & didn’t rush to issue a card. Each card issued was deserved

his tempo, perception, delivery and his ability to communicate in a direct and forthright way is outstanding! Class act.

High praise indeed

Posted (edited)

I’m not bitter about this at all, definitely not but...

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/everton-villarreal-great-pierluigi-collina-16784869

he’s a baldy bug eyed twat

and there is some sort of irony in him calling a foul against a player called “Bent”

He was a top referee, one of the best. Top referees in the world make mistakes. Even at his age he still would have been one of the best (yes he was passed the age that FIFA asked referees to retire).

If you read his quotes, he is reaching but makes a lot of sense. There is a lot going on in the box, if you try to watch everything you’ll see nothing, so he focused on just one duel. He also makes another valid point, he has a different view to the camera angle of the day & saw a different version of events. Something the tv camera couldn’t show or see.

He saw a shirt pull & gave it. I doubt anyone would get away with his explanation in today’s world with multiple replays & slomo’s.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

He was a top referee, one of the best. Top referees in the world make mistakes. Even at his age he still would have been one of the best (yes he was passed the age that FIFA asked referees to retire).

If you read his quotes, he is reaching but makes a lot of sense. There is a lot going on in the box, if you try to watch everything you’ll see nothing, so he focused on just one duel. He also makes another valid point, he has a different view to the camera angle of the day & saw a different version of events. Something the tv camera couldn’t show or see.

He saw a shirt pull & gave it. I doubt anyone would get away with his explanation in today’s world with multiple replays & slomo’s.

He was retired prior to the game, refereed one game where clearly UEFA didn’t want a fifth English team in champions league (a mess they created by changing the rules to allow the Kopites in when they where 5th at the time there was no rule that defending champions auto qualified) he then retired straight after. Not saying he is “Marcus Bent” but it’s unusual to say the least.

You can watch the replay there is no foul from Bent at all.

Also There is no way on earth he’d have given that decision if it was one of the “big clubs” Barcelona, Juventus, Madrid, Liverpool, Man Utd....

but like I say I’m not bitter

oh and We got Villa Real in the qualifier who finished in quarters while the kopites who didn’t qualify for champions league under the rules got to play a team of welsh postman and bank clerks  

did I mention I’m not bitter about it 

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

He was retired prior to the game, refereed one game where clearly UEFA didn’t want a fifth English team in champions league (a mess they created by changing the rules to allow the Kopites in when they where 5th at the time there was no rule that defending champions auto qualified) he then retired straight after. Not saying he is “Marcus Bent” but it’s unusual to say the least.

Also There is no way on earth he’d have given that decision if it was one of the “big clubs” Barcelona, Juventus, Madrid, Liverpool, Man Utd....

but like I say I’m not bitter

oh and We got Villa Real in the qualifier who finished in quarters while the kopites who didn’t qualify for champions league under the rules got to play a team of welsh postman and bank clerks  

did I mention I’m not bitter about it 

🍋

5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

There is a point where what is happening between the two players is obscured by the goal scorer. Impossible to say nothing happened with the footage & camera angles/quality but agree appeared like there wasn’t much in it. 

5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

He was retired prior to the game, refereed one game where clearly UEFA didn’t want a fifth English team in champions league (a mess they created by changing the rules to allow the Kopites in when they where 5th at the time there was no rule that defending champions auto qualified) he then retired straight after.

My point is, despite this fact he would still have been one of the top referees in the world at the time.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

There is a point where what is happening between the two players is obscured by the goal scorer. Impossible to say nothing happened with the footage & camera angles/quality but agree appeared like there wasn’t much in it. 

My point is, despite this fact he would still have been one of the top referees in the world at the time.

He’s probably a Kopite too 

Did I mention not being bitter about this?

surely though they might have found an active referee somewhere in Europe 

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

I’m sure if I have this conversation 100 times, we will end 100 times with the same result :lol: 

That's why he's not bitter about it 

51 minutes ago, mack said:

Here you go @Unlimited you'll get every grand final then.

He'd probably do a better job than Wilson.