Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Unlimited

The Refereeing Thread

Recommended Posts

On 03/03/2020 at 10:47 PM, Prydzopolis said:

 

This is one of the few times that you can rely on a literal word for word from the LOTG & not an interpretation usually found outside it.

If it were to be a red card, it would be “denial of a obvious goal scoring opportunity” or DOGSO. Although it reminds me of those rubbish articles that Ben Wilson used to write to justify plain bad & wrong decisions in the A-League. I have to agree with the article.

There is just too much doubt, is it an obvious goal? Or a probable goal? Do we know where all the defenders are on the field? Is it reasonable to assume that a defender on the 18 yard line may have intercepted? Or how about how accurate players are with shots on goal? What would be xG of a shot from that distance & position on field?

I’m not saying that it shouldn’t be a red but it isn’t such a clear cut decision. As Ed said, it would be a brave referee to make a decision like that

I made a similar decision in an O35s match a couple years ago

1-1 going into the 90th minute, attacking free kick and the kick is missed

Anyway, everyone else is rushing back to defend the counter attack but due to a mix-up, the striker receives the ball about 30m out with two defenders to beat and the goalkeeper

Striker beats one defender and is rushing to goal, so the goalkeeper is rushing out

From about 25m out and to the side slightly, the striker kicks the ball to goal

Last defender is running back towards goal but don't worry, because the goalkeeper "saves" it while outside his penalty area

 

I'm taking into account that the goalkeeper blatantly handball-ed it (so it's at least a yellow), but from 25m out and in a frenzied part of the game, I can't tell if the shot is on target and I also can't tell if the defender would've got there in the end

I got a crapton of flak for this from the striker's team but I awarded a yellow because unlike a Luis Suarez or Harry Kewell at the World Cup, that "goal scoring opportunity" isn't "obvious".

Now I realise that sounds like this decision was easy but I had to think really hard about it. That one took a few seconds and obviously with half the field surrounding me, one half going 'RED! RED!' and the other half going 'Ohh he didn't mean it like that sir', that is a real tough decision to make in that pressure cooker environment at 1-1 in the 90th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Red

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some interesting observations

Not that we have football or next season anytime soon. Maybe revisit it next year :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

THEY FINALLY PUT WHAT HAPPENS IF BOTH TEAMS ENCROACH INTO THE PENALTY KICK TABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woah: :meep:

Do players now need to get their shirts off to determine where the "armpit" is on their body? A football is a pretty large object, is it determined by how much of the ball is above the armpit line? Or is it any amount of armpit line means no handball?

Another big change is that a yellow card is no longer issued for stopping a promising attack if the ref plays advantage or allows a quick free kick to take place, and a quick free kick after denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity downgrades a red card to a yellow? Apparently the red card downgrade came in last year. Must have missed it.

A keeper encroaching at a penalty is no longer penalised if the penalty is just missed or rebounds off the post.

They've banned the flick up to the keeper from goal kicks/free kicks.

Also you can now get 3 yellow cards in a match since YC's don't carry over to penalties. :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The yellow card for stopping a promising attack should have been strengthened (especially if it's cynical), not weakened, it's a blight on the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 05/03/2020 at 10:15 PM, Unlimited said:

I made a similar decision in an O35s match a couple years ago

1-1 going into the 90th minute, attacking free kick and the kick is missed

Anyway, everyone else is rushing back to defend the counter attack but due to a mix-up, the striker receives the ball about 30m out with two defenders to beat and the goalkeeper

Striker beats one defender and is rushing to goal, so the goalkeeper is rushing out

From about 25m out and to the side slightly, the striker kicks the ball to goal

Last defender is running back towards goal but don't worry, because the goalkeeper "saves" it while outside his penalty area

 

I'm taking into account that the goalkeeper blatantly handball-ed it (so it's at least a yellow), but from 25m out and in a frenzied part of the game, I can't tell if the shot is on target and I also can't tell if the defender would've got there in the end

I got a crapton of flak for this from the striker's team but I awarded a yellow because unlike a Luis Suarez or Harry Kewell at the World Cup, that "goal scoring opportunity" isn't "obvious".

Now I realise that sounds like this decision was easy but I had to think really hard about it. That one took a few seconds and obviously with half the field surrounding me, one half going 'RED! RED!' and the other half going 'Ohh he didn't mean it like that sir', that is a real tough decision to make in that pressure cooker environment at 1-1 in the 90th.

Red 

.. and I’m a defender the keeper has done it to prevent a goal how is that not an obvious goal scoring opportunity? 
 

Second thoughts speaking as a defender who has made more than his fair share of fouls that may have denied a goal scoring opportunity, can you ref our games?

Edited by StringerBellend

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my first games with grassroots in my association in months.

Unbelievably, I got complimented for my games and a couple of spectators actually clapped my game for u14/1s. That was quite a change. 

My association had 100% coverage for centres for all full field games u12s to u15s plus u16 boys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations mate. That's good to hear.

The ref in Jnr WB's game today (Youth League - HFA) was also pretty good. 

He missed a few blatant handballs (but picked up a couple of others), and a couple of aggressive challenges, but he let the game flow.

Gave 4 pens, all of which were clear cut and good decisions. 2 to each side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

Congratulations mate. That's good to hear.

The ref in Jnr WB's game today (Youth League - HFA) was also pretty good. 

He missed a few blatant handballs (but picked up a couple of others), and a couple of aggressive challenges, but he let the game flow.

Gave 4 pens, all of which were clear cut and good decisions. 2 to each side. 

We had a zoom meeting last Monday. Major topic was handball.

IFAB have clarified the handball rule. One change that may have been a blatant in the past is now play on. This one is if the ball hits the foot and bounces up into the arm is not handball.  The best clip you can find of this is Mark Milligan at the world cup in France. Milligan was in the penalty box, the ball hits his foot and rebounds into one of his arms. That is play on. They other play -on is now if a player falls in the box and the balls hits the arm being used to cushion the fall to the ground. This is no longer handball.

For all those o35 players plus everyone else , we are looking at handball basically like this: "Did you make yourself bigger and gain advantage?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

IFAB have clarified the handball rule.

They have provided some clarification but that is in the new LOTG for the 20/21 season, we are currently playing under the 19/20 LOTG. It really is a bit of joke, they’ve tried to make it easier & more black/white but I think they’ve just made it more complicated.

4 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Had my first games with grassroots in my association in months.

Well in Paul, good to hear :good:

I was pretty happy with my games today, some pretty low level AA to get me back into the swing of things :good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

They have provided some clarification but that is in the new LOTG for the 20/21 season, we are currently playing under the 19/20 LOTG. It really is a bit of joke, they’ve tried to make it easier & more black/white but I think they’ve just made it more complicated.

Well in Paul, good to hear :good:

I was pretty happy with my games today, some pretty low level AA to get me back into the swing of things :good:

4 games tomorrow 

U16 girls with the flag, then centres for o35 men (top division), intermediate (18-21) men and finishing with AA men (mid division) I am going to dead on Monday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Paul01 said:

4 games tomorrow 

U16 girls with the flag, then centres for o35 men (top division), intermediate (18-21) men and finishing with AA men (mid division) I am going to dead on Monday

I would say good luck but it’s too late :lol:

@Unlimited you back refereeing this season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

I would say good luck but it’s too late :lol:

@Unlimited you back refereeing this season?

Turned out to be 4 games in the middle with the ref appointed not turning up.

O35s were their normal argumentative selves but with 3 yellows I did not have to resort to a red.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

I would say good luck but it’s too late :lol:

@Unlimited you back refereeing this season?

I have temporarily taken a sabbatical this season

I’d rather not run around taking in the big ones with global pandemic and stuff :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I have temporarily taken a sabbatical this season

I’d rather not run around taking in the big ones with global pandemic and stuff :( 

Wuss.......:P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Unlimited said:

I have temporarily taken a sabbatical this season

I’d rather not run around taking in the big ones with global pandemic and stuff :( 

Or you could have just gone with “I didn’t want to spend the next few months being abused & had better things to do with my time” :lol:

20 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Turned out to be 4 games in the middle with the ref appointed not turning up.

Ouch, hope you pulled up okay!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Or you could have just gone with “I didn’t want to spend the next few months being abused & had better things to do with my time” :lol:

Ouch, hope you pulled up okay!

Calves are sore especially at my age. But least I'm breathing, walking and slightly fitter.

As an aside, still waiting to cough up for 2 NPLW games I did in March one as ref and one as AR. They decided put most of their staff on JobKeeper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How are we all traveling in here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

How are we all traveling in here?

So far so good. Calves have improved.

Even got to do an AAM/Div 3 game with 2 assistants the other weekend. Great game to referee played at speed and with skill. I gave one player a yellow for stopping a promising attack. He tried to wind me up during the game by acting all innocent. After the game he told me he was just just winding me up and said he wouldn't mind if I was appointed to referee his team every week.

One issues is to define players who are on the sideline and do not want to wear a jacket as subs bibs are no longer allowed. We now have electronic teamsheets which have their own problems when there is no backup for the team manager.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...