Wanderers Win Tight ACL Contest

56 wasn't bad considering the supporters, but they're getting better.

I thought we should have lost considering Kawasaki's attacks, just couldn't hit the target and if they did Ante was there to clean up.

Lambada still sounded like a Christmas carol  :shok:

I almost fell asleep during Lambada. Sounds like it has slowed down over time. I think the drummers pick it up a bit

I thought we should have lost considering Kawasaki's attacks, just couldn't hit the target and if they did Ante was there to clean up.

I almost fell asleep during Lambada. Sounds like it has slowed down over time. I think the drummers pick it up a bit

It's supposed to be slow, but nothing played is every played at the right tempo, always sped up.

It's supposed to be slow, but nothing played is every played at the right tempo, always sped up.

don't understand why it has to be the same.

if we find a cool chant, lets do it our way.

First half we were quite good, trifiro, Larocca, Golec and Beauchamp all working well to set up a solid foundation which Ono, Tomi and Appiah could work from. 

a number of nervy moments in the second half, especially as it wore on and they pushed for the equaliser. this opened up the field for our counters but we just didn't have the nouse to put the game to bed, a few wrong decisions in passing and a few missed opportunities when players like appiah and haliti sat too far back waiting for the ball to be turned over rather than stretching the defense by providing runs for Ono and Juric to work with. 

Very happy to have won. A result in our next match is crucial as that will give a us a head to head advantage over Kawasaki. taking the pressure off us needing a result away in Ulsan. 

Juric went off at Kubi because many times in first half Kubi was out of position and also we didn't press their back line, Juric also went off at while team during first half for not pressing!

In second half juric was pacing down middle and drawing in a defender that gave kubi space to come in from the outside and get behind the defender with a clear shot at goal. Instead juric decided to pass to haliti who was covered. The pass had to go wide because of the defender and haliti couldn't reach it so ball went out of reach. Kubi was left out in the wilderness completely ignored. I hope that was simply a lack of judgement. Anyway over the moon with the win.

Edited by jocosmic

2 more positive results should see us through. A win against the chinese @ home, will almost be enough by itself.

The draw last night in the other game, has given us a chance to top the group. Amazing.

Cant wait for Japan!!

Juric went off at Kubi because many times in first half Kubi was out of position and also we didn't press their back line, Juric also went off at while team during first half for not pressing!

In second half juric was pacing down middle and drawing in a defender that gave kubi space to come in from the outside and get behind the defender with a clear shot at goal. Instead juric decided to pass to haliti who was covered. The pass had to go wide because of the defender and haliti couldn't reach it so ball went out of reach. Kubi was left out in the wilderness completely ignored. I hope that was simply a lack of judgement. Anyway over the moon with the win.

I agree with this. We had a few chances to kill the game off with a second goal on the counter. But all the passes went astray letting the Kawasaki defence recover and get back in numbers. We have to try to be more ruthless in these attacks and we will score more goals. The fault lies with all of the players up front really. Just not understanding each other and bad communication. Both Kubi and Juri are talented, but really have to work hard on running into thje right and/or shooting passing at the right moment in the right areas. 

But really thrilled with our new look defence and especially Beauchamps' contribution in the last few games. Anyone know if he is signing for next season?

Edited by Montalbano

Loved it, however, the trumpet died down.

Good times.!!!!

What a top night, Appiah was on fire, the new boys Mullen and Golec did real well...

Things are looking good...

In particular the acl training jersey... so I had to get one.. :-)

enjoyed last night...great to see the speed at which these Asian teams play , but they became a bit like arsenal in the end by trying to walk it in , which worked to our benefit.....thought the backline did really well , and even though they had a few good spells I thought we handled most of it comfortably...

rbb was in fine form , glorious scarf intro will take off no doubt

im gonna say it , win away next game and we might just get out of this group after all

Edited by Skoolz6

If Ulsan and Guizhou draw in china again as we beat Kawasaki, we will be first!

Then we grab a draw against Ulsan in Korea and beat Guizhou here and we top the group :woah:

lol @ some random Kawasaki fan coming up to me and giving me his scarf after the match outside the ground... the 3-4 minute convo that followed was off the charts, I didnt know what he was on about and he sure as heck had no idea what I was telling him... Part of which was "melb is a sh!t hole, dont waste your time going there buddy". Bloody good ppl those Japs!

Our best worst win yet.

Our front 3rd ball retention and decision making is diabolical. We just give the ball away far too easily. No wonder we can only score 1 goal average a game.

Defensively in 1st have both Meggsy and Golec were very strong. I thought Meggsy continued that in 2nd half but Golec got caught out in behind him a few times and I think he got quite tired due to a lack of game time.

Heff and Mullen looked solid and Heff should be our starting LB.

Mids did their job 1st half but Triforo once again shows us that he has only a half game in him but it was  a great half game.

popa's subs were interesting for me. Ono was gone after 65-70 mins, Juric not long after was also gone but decided to keep them on. Did Mullen get injured? The Cole sub at RB was odd IMO unless its was an injury.

Covic cant play out from the back and looks dodgy as when doing so.

Great win.

Onto seating. What a massive cock up this has been. A half full RBB, red section seating was almost impossible to buy yet the stands are farking empty!! Its obvious they sold the Black section first for camera purposes.

Still a good night and a game we won when we should have not. But I dont give a toss. COYW

2 more positive results should see us through. A win against the chinese @ home, will almost be enough by itself.

The draw last night in the other game, has given us a chance to top the group. Amazing.

Cant wait for Japan!!

I think a win against the Chinese team at home and a draw in either the Korean/Japanese away legs should be enough, 10-points is typically they safety point for these type of things.

Cant wait for Japan!!

I think a win against the Chinese team at home and a draw in either the Korean/Japanese away legs should be enough, 10-points is typically they safety point for these type of things.

10 ensures progression, but gee you would be unlucky to not progress with 9 points. Would require the team coming 4th to have barely picked up a point & the Chinese last night showed they arent completely hopeless, getting a result away to the top team of the group. If they can get another draw against the Japanese at home, a win at home against them will be massive.

But life would be much easier if we just go to Japan & get all three.

Why not??

Our best worst win yet.

Our front 3rd ball retention and decision making is diabolical. We just give the ball away far too easily. No wonder we can only score 1 goal average a game.

Defensively in 1st have both Meggsy and Golec were very strong. I thought Meggsy continued that in 2nd half but Golec got caught out in behind him a few times and I think he got quite tired due to a lack of game time.

Mids did their job 1st half but Triforo once again shows us that he has only a half game in him but it was  a great half game.

Popa's subs were interesting for me. Ono was gone after 65-70 mins, Juric not long after was also gone but decided to keep them on. Did Mullen get injured? The Cole sub at RB was odd IMO unless its was an injury.

Great win.

Onto seating. What a massive cock up this has been. A half full RBB, red section seating was almost impossible to buy yet the stands are farking empty!! Its obvious they sold the Black section first for camera purposes.

Still a good night and a game we won when we should have not. But I dont give a toss. COYW

Yes agree, great historic win, first ACL win at home...... the last 15 minutes....well I almost had a heart attack, my pacemaker blew a gasket, who do I sue for repairs, the team, popa, the board??

Kawasaki were technically very good, very quick, at times they left us chasing shadows in the 2nd half. Can't understand why, on number of occasions they had unmarked player/s in our box no defender within 2-3 metres, very dangerous play, we will get punished away.

I thought we switched our play much better in this game kept them guessing especially 1st half.

Our best worst win yet.

Popa's subs were interesting for me. Ono was gone after 65-70 mins, Juric not long after was also gone but decided to keep them on. Did Mullen get injured? The Cole sub at RB was odd IMO unless its was an injury.

Great win.

Yes agree, great historic win, first ACL win at home...... the last 15 minutes....well I almost had a heart attack, my pacemaker blew a gasket, who do I sue for repairs, the team, Popa, the board??

Kawasaki were technically very good, very quick, at times they left us chasing shadows in the 2nd half. Can't understand why, on number of occasions they had unmarked player/s in our box no defender within 2-3 metres, very dangerous play, we will get punished away.

I thought we switched our play much better in this game kept them guessing especially 1st half.

Im pretty sure it as a combination of 3 things.

1. Our midfield rotation was limited with only Mooy coming on. Larocca ran himself into the ground, Ono was gone and Mooy offered some respite. But they had there mids getting in behind ours and in front to f of central back two.

2. There #2 and #5 pushed on and that squeezed their 7 and 11 inside onto our 3 and 4 who were then man for man. That caused us issues.

3. When they were in BP they effectively had only 2 at the back with fb's pushing on.

but also big issue was how poorly we retained possession of ball on transition. This meant or mids and defence very rarely had time to breath and reset.

This is where Dino helped big time.

Our best worst win yet.

Great win.

Yes agree, great historic win, first ACL win at home...... the last 15 minutes....well I almost had a heart attack, my pacemaker blew a gasket, who do I sue for repairs, the team, Popa, the board??

Im pretty sure it as a combination of 3 things.

1. Our midfield rotation was limited with only Mooy coming on. Larocca ran himself into the ground, Ono was gone and Mooy offered some respite. But they had there mids getting in behind ours and in front to f of central back two.

2. There #2 and #5 pushed on and that squeezed their 7 and 11 inside onto our 3 and 4 who were then man for man. That caused us issues.

3. When they were in BP they effectively had only 2 at the back with fb's pushing on.

but also big issue was how poorly we retained possession of ball on transition. This meant or mids and defence very rarely had time to breath and reset.

This is where Dino helped big time.

I always knew Dino would be missed in a way. He did a lot of the hard yakka, held the ball up well and defenders always seemed to tremble when he applied a lot of pressure to them. The pressing is missing from us big time this season.

I thought the atmosphere was tops. Very cozy. Memories of last season came back. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, being on my feet for 90 minutes in Bay 54.

I don't get how some insist on sitting in the active area. What are they? Active sitters? Those who didn't participate in the Poznan were put to shame by those watching the match from the platform above Bay 54 who were actually turning their wheels chairs around, facing the wall during the Poznan. Kudos to them.

As far as match and result is concerned: I adopt a big picture perspective. Not in the squad were NTS, D'Apuzzo, Spiranovic.On the bench were Cole, Bridge, Hersi, Polenz, Santalab, Mooy, Tyson. Add the two injured players (Tahj and Golgol), then 12 quality players were not in the starting 11. And yet, Popa put a team on the pitch which was able to get a result. I believe this is what he has been working towards all season with his rotation and chopping and changing: bringing the whole squad up to a level where each player can be trusted to deliver the goods.

• Trifiro: I was glad when he was taken off. He was not coping at all with the pressing of Kawasaki, and made a few terrible decision under pressure right after the break.
  • Beauchamp was great. I liked what
  • I saw of Golec and Mullen.
  • Juric put up a good fight against two or at times three defenders, with little support from anyone.
  • LaRocca is a monster, and deserved the MotM award.
  • Covic is best when he is kept busy. He is error prone when he has nothing to do, and all of a sudden he has to perform. Heffernan: don't know either why he doesn't play more regularly.

Onwards we march. Now a win against Perth and a defeat of the VIC in Brisbane, and it's happy days again.

I thought the atmosphere was tops. Very cozy. Memories of last season came back. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, being on my feet for 90 minutes in Bay 54.

I don't get how some insist on sitting in the active area. What are they? Active sitters? Those who didn't participate in the Poznan were put to shame by those watching the match from the platform above Bay 54 who were actually turning their wheels chairs around, facing the wall during the Poznan. Kudos to them.

As far as match and result is concerned: I adopt a big picture perspective. Not in the squad were NTS, D'Apuzzo, Spiranovic.On the bench were Cole, Bridge, Hersi, Polenz, Santalab, Mooy, Tyson. Add the two injured players (Tahj and Golgol), then 12 quality players were not in the starting 11. And yet, Popa put a team on the pitch which was able to get a result. I believe this is what he has been working towards all season with his rotation and chopping and changing: bringing the whole squad up to a level where each player can be trusted to deliver the goods.

• Trifiro: I was glad when he was taken off. He was not coping at all with the pressing of Kawasaki, and made a few terrible decision under pressure right after the break.
  • Beauchamp was great. I liked what
  • I saw of Golec and Mullen.
  • Juric put up a good fight against two or at times three defenders, with little support from anyone.
  • LaRocca is a monster, and deserved the MotM award.
  • Covic is best when he is kept busy. He is error prone when he has nothing to do, and all of a sudden he has to perform. Heffernan: don't know either why he doesn't play more regularly.

Onwards we march. Now a win against Perth and a defeat of the VIC in Brisbane, and it's happy days again.

Thats why i was praying that it would rain at least they would stand up as no one likes sitting on a wet chair! Its like that every match unfortunately pleading with them to stand up become active and to do the poznan, but overall it was nice to see the bay more full. I just try my best to block their view with the flags at the front of bay 54  :xbop:

A win or draw away to Kawasaki would be imense especially for the fans who are travelling to Japan! 

If we do qualify for the next phase the only negative side is that we lose Ono, as his new contract would begin with his Jap club i believe.

We play Guizhou last. We don't want to be going into that game needing a win to progress. I'd rather we get the job done in Kawasaki in 2 weeks which basically guarantees us qualification. So then Popa can really rotate and rest the squad and concentrate on the HAL.

Dont we play them second last? I havent checked anything, but i thought because we played Ulsan first at home, we would play them last away?