musical thread

Gawan....

names and places redacted lol.

Btw just as an aside if there is a better portrayal of generally being in a local amateur band than "the commitments" by Roddy Doyle I'd like to read it.

–What’s your name, pal?

–Joseph Fagan, said the man.

He was bald, too, now that he’d taken his helmet off.

–Joey The Lips Fagan, he said.

–Eh. ——Come again?

–Joey The Lips Fagan.

–An’ I’m Jimmy The Bollix Rabbitte.

–I earned my name for my horn playing, Brother Rabbitte. How did you earn yours?

Jimmy pointed a finger at him.

-Don’t get snotty with me, son.

Guest ZipGunBop

Hey, new page!

Time for clip.

Brilliant musicianship. This was the last song of a set that went near 2 hours. These guys are machines. You'll recognise the choon from the drum solo clip on the last page.

In the crowd you catch a glimpse of Zip-Daddy slicked up to the 9's swimmin' in a tailor made Zoot sporting white pins, trilby and wingtip wheels, kitty kat on the arm.

Possibly best gig I've been to.

Anyways, enjoy.

Btw "ignoring the real one and doing my own" is sometimes code for not bring able to play it.

I get what you mean. Like I said I much prefer to be playing along to something. But the beat is inbuilt largely for me. Drummed in as a kid I guess.

Guest ZipGunBop

I like samba music, I just can't play it.

I can't get the bassline with just a clave. lol

Always end up just hitting the same timing as the clave.

How do you construct a samba bassline?

Then.

Once you can do the clave.

Maybe you can already i think I may be misinterpreted what you were asking.

You have to hear the other bits and ignore it in guess. I don't do a lot of samba but maybe it's about creating a new melody. Follow with the horns. I don't know lol its all by feel what I tend to do.

Yeah I b would need the whole thing to be working out what i would do with that.

I think you gotta ignore the clave.

You need the bass drum or maybe the snare or maybe the backing horn notes maybe.

That's where the bass line is at. I think. Could be wrong. But that's what I am getting in my head.

I find it so hard to isolate, but then when i do, I lose track. :lol:

Some clave

I didn't listen to this one last time around. But the bass in this is doing exactly what I was thinking in my head, it's like "girl from ipanema" (which is a bossa but shhh who cares).

But that's pretty straightforward, compare to JUST the clave like in that other clip with all the people singing. Yeah. I need the aid of a bass drum or a snare or something as well I think.

• 1 month later...