Politics Thread

Hijacked First Post By Admin:

Put all your political crap in here.

Note: This doesn't mean the rest of the rules of the forum go out the window. If people start making personal attacks, questionable, offensive or otherwise stupid posts, and the mods get reports or people complain about each other then out comes the banhammer without warning or mercy.

Additional Note: This doesn't include Religion, which is not Politics.

Additional Note 2: No Israel vs Palestine posts.

No political talk anywhere else.

As this touches upon two of the most pertinent areas to let loose a rant about (i.e. Clive Palmer and the dirty linen of the AFL), methinks this is worth using as an ignition point for a new thread:

Prime ministerial aspirant Clive Palmer abruptly ended a phone interview with ABC's Jon Faine after being questioned about past allegations of violence against women involving two Palmer United Party candidates.

Faine asked the mining magnate why he was running two senate candidates in Victoria, Barry Michaels and Doug Hawkins, who had "been to court in relation to allegations of violence against women".

''Well of course that's not true,'' Mr Palmer replied, saying that neither man had been convicted – a charge Mr Faine did not make.

Faine told Mr Palmer that he had chosen his words carefully. ''They were relating to intervention orders and in each instance both had reason to return to court and respond to those claims,'' Mr Faine said.

''Look I can bring a charge against you for being a deadbeat,'' Mr Palmer said.

''They haven't been convicted of anything. They weren't true, the allegations weren't true,'' Mr Palmer said.

''Why don't you talk about policy? Why don't you talk about reducing the pensions?

''I'm not going to talk about things . . . which are not true. These were allegations in a court. The court dealt with them and found them to be no case to answer.''

Mr Palmer then said ''goodbye'' and hung up.Faine said that when his producers called Mr Palmer back, he told them to ''get stuffed''.

Faine said that he believed that the questions were relevant because they went to the candidates' characters.

Several callers lashed Faine for focusing on the past and failing to ask Mr Palmer about his policies.

According the Palmer United Party’s website, Mr Hawkins and Mr Michael have joined the Party’s Victorian Senate ticket as ''sporting legends''.

Mr Hawkins, a renowned Australian football identity, notched up more than 300 games for Footscray Football Club during the 1990s.

In 2004, he was inducted into the AFL Hall of Fame.

Mr Michael is a former boxing world champion who was inducted into the Australian Boxing Hall of Fame in 2003.

Mr Palmer's decision to terminate his interview with Mr Faine this morning follows a volatile media appearance on ABC's Lateline on Tuesday evening. 

When questioned by Lateline host Emma Alberici over his involvement in the Ashby-Slipper affair, Mr Palmer labelled LNP candidate Mal Brough a liar before announcing his intention to sue him.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/get-stuffed-clive-palmer-hangs-up-on-abc-radio-host-20130828-2sp8d.html#ixzz2dE5FGGp2

I wonder if Clive-osaurus Rex might want to get Doug Hawkins up to the Gold Coast to help him resurrect GCU...it makes all the sense in the world when you live in Palmer's Universe...

Dont forget, if it wasnt for Clive Palmer (the lunatic!!!), there wouldnt be a WsWFC!!!

Sorry, I don't buy that argument. Yes, the Wanderers may not have entered the A-League when they did and how they did without Palmer's farce up at GCU, but the entrance of a team here in the west of Sydney was always going to happen. And last time I looked Clive Palmer made every effort to undermine the controlling body that did so much right to get us to the point we are now.

Bottom line...the fat **** was a gangrenous anal fistula on the sport then and he is expanding his pestilential attitudes to all manner of Australian society and politics as only a mining magnate with delusions of grandeur can. If anyone votes for this suppurating chest-wound in size 4XXXL pants or believes he has any redeeming qualities then they should just commit a self-inflicted retro-abortion now and save the world for more useful genetic material.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Palmer has a history of leaving interviews in a hissy fit. Recently he was spruking a party member when the interviewer asked the candidates name. Clive couldn't remember and dodged the question. When the interviewer asked again he said "we'll I'm not going to be quizzed by you on rubbish" followed by "ok bye bye" and hung up.

A tiny part of me would like to see him as PM for the lol's but the vast majority of me would like to see him fall down a flight of stairs.

Said he would get all 150 seats with a candidate, couldn't do that. Was capping seats at 5k if I could remember correctly cause it would cost too much if they didn't. When you think about those days you remember how the aleague used to be and how it is now, it just makes me happy.

Sometime RBB-er, red-and-black fanatic and general all-round boozing troublemaker "Carlo Sands" is actually doing a couple of stand-up routines at the Brisbane Fringe Comedy Festival based entirely on Clive Palmer (well, in theory, anyway - he also talks a lot about booze and politics).
http://www.stickytickets.com.au/12627/carlo_sands__the_yucky_country__make_clive_palmer_pm.aspx

http://31digital.com.au/bffc/events/carlo-sands-elect-clive-palmer/

I'm sure once the season gets going he'll be amenable to sharing the choice bits at the Woolie (if you get him drunk enough)...

CLIVE!!!!!!

Palmer challenges police to arrest him in plane fuel drama

http://www.sunshinecoastdaily.com.au/news/palmer-challenges-police-arrest-him-plane-fuel-dra/2002391/

Seriously, the jokes just write themselves. This guy seems determined to put comics out of business across the country... 

Dont forget, if it wasnt for Clive Palmer (the lunatic!!!), there wouldnt be a WsWFC!!!

Sorry, I don't buy that argument. Yes, the Wanderers may not have entered the A-League when they did and how they did without Palmer's farce up at GCU, but the entrance of a team here in the west of Sydney was always going to happen. And last time I looked Clive Palmer made every effort to undermine the controlling body that did so much right to get us to the point we are now.

Bottom line...the fat **** was a gangrenous anal fistula on the sport then and he is expanding his pestilential attitudes to all manner of Australian society and politics as only a mining magnate with delusions of grandeur can. If anyone votes for this suppurating chest-wound in size 4XXXL pants or believes he has any redeeming qualities then they should just commit a self-inflicted retro-abortion now and save the world for more useful genetic material.

Lets agree to disagree... Its the Sliding doors effect. YES, it would have still happened, BUT god knows what they would have dished up had it not been for his dummy spit & that point in time! One thing is for sure, we would have all been a few years older if it didnt happen as it did, and tbh i was over waiting for this team to come along. The success of the team on and off the pitch in WsW s.1 vindicates the point, so all hail the fat turd!

Lets agree to disagree... Its the Sliding doors effect. YES, it would have still happened, BUT god knows what they would have dished up had it not been for his dummy spit & that point in time! One thing is for sure, we would have all been a few years older if it didnt happen as it did, and tbh i was over waiting for this team to come along. The success of the team on and off the pitch in WsW s.1 vindicates the point, so all hail the fat turd!

Oh come on...you can see a causal link between Clive Palmer's actions and how the FFA set up the Wanderers? if you pointed to say the erosion of the influence of Ben Buckley after the failure of the World Cup campaign, or the input of people like Tony Sage and Nathan Tinkler re the running of the A-League and the alarm bells that were rung at the FFA as a result particularly of the latter's "I'm going/I'm back" attitude to the Jest then maybe you might have some reason. Palmer's influence on the creation of the Wanderers vis-a-vis FFA policy was at most a matter of the opening of a slot that needed filling due to broadcast rights requirements and at worst SFA. And considering that the FFA did what they did and how they did it completely independent of consideration of Palmer's farkwittedness, and roughly two years after the fact the FFA are now announcing a FFA Cup, membership of ASEAN FA and 500 days countdown to the AFC Cup, whilst Palmer's 'Football Australia' is utterly extinct..well you give the fat turd far too much credit implied or real for anything to do with our sport, and not enough to the regime that made sure he was farked off.

If on the other hand you want to bemoan the delays and half-baked starts to establishing a team in the west of Sydney go for it. Having said that where would you rather be...supporting a club that has been built on a collective learning experience from at least the first 7 seasons of the A-League, or climbing on board from the get go with a club like ESFC that has all the club culture of the Orange & Black Clowns but with more fans...

I hope he doesn't read this thread as he is an impulsive moron who could buy our club just for the **** of it.

But he is a tool i received some Palmer cd political thing in the mail,didn't even open it straight to the trash

Fortunately, Clive being Clive, he will never own another A-league club again

That CD contained a sneak preview of his infamous Titanic 2.

I threw it away too.

I hope he doesn't read this thread as he is an impulsive moron who could buy our club just for the **** of it.

But he is a tool i received some Palmer cd political thing in the mail,didn't even open it straight to the trash

I threw it away too.

Bastards. I want a copy of that damn thing - it's comedy gold. I don't think he's sending them to the ACT.

Anyone with a spare - I'll buy you a beer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for talking the piss out of Clive - I look more like a sauropod - Palmer, and reading your rants can be enlightening, but denigrating people's genuinely held views should not be one of them, particularly your last line could be taken the wrong way (I myself couldn't give a toss, but others may not!). 

I threw it away too.

Bastards. I want a copy of that damn thing - it's comedy gold. I don't think he's sending them to the ACT.

I've got one, but I can only loan it to you... I'm sure it'll become a collectors item one day... particularly if its signed...i think...maybe... :unknw:

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for talking the piss out of Clive - I look more like a sauropod - Palmer, and reading your rants can be enlightening, but denigrating people's genuinely held views should not be one of them, particularly your last line could be taken the wrong way (I myself couldn't give a toss, but others may not!). 

I threw it away too.

I've got one, but I can only loan it to you... I'm sure it'll become a collectors item one day... particularly if its signed...i think...maybe... :unknw:

Fair point Paul, and it wasn't aimed at FairPlay or anyone specific...call it a mad ranting grumpy old bastard's vitriol at play. However there is something excrementally scary about a man with so much wealth and with such a cavalier attitude against truth, accountability and social responsibility putting himself up as a candidate in the coming election, and even worse certain people believing so much in his claptrap that they would either be willing to be a candidate for his party or vote for him. In my hyperbolic way I am trying to vent my disgust and disdain for all he stands for and try and rail against the idiocy of a society that lets such a meglomaniacal farkwit try and dictate public policy.

He and his kind are no better than the Pauline Hansons of the world, and the only reason anyone takes him serious is because unlike other loopy redneck dickheads he has deep enough pockets to fund his message of incompetency. He is that unique combination of Gina Reinhardt's wealth, Jo Bjelke-Petersen's parochial Queenslander POV and a Hitlerian approach to building self-aggrandizing monuments to his visions of gross kitsch.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer

Fair point Paul, and it wasn't aimed at FairPlay or anyone specific...call it a mad ranting grumpy old bastard's vitriol at play. However there is something excrementally scary about a man with so much wealth and with such a cavalier attitude against truth, accountability and social responsibility putting himself up as a candidate in the coming election, and even worse certain people believing so much in his claptrap that they would either be willing to be a candidate for his party or vote for him. In my hyperbolic way I am trying to vent my disgust and disdain for all he stands for and try and rail against the idiocy of a society that lets such a meglomaniacal farkwit try and dictate public policy.

He and his kind are no better than the Pauline Hansons of the world, and the only reason anyone takes him serious is because unlike other loopy redneck dickheads he has deep enough pockets to fund his message of incompetency. He is that unique combination of Gina Reinhardt's wealth, Jo Bjelke-Petersen's parochial Queenslander POV and a Hitlerian approach to building self-aggrandizing monuments to his visions of gross kitsch.

Now that's a rant that I can enjoy!!

The problem nowadays is that the main parties are so alike but not alike at the same time, and for that reason people gravitate to these megalomaniacs as they are offering something the main parties are not, a leader who is not a boring fool, just an entertaining one.

I for one lean one way, but I disagree with some of that parties policies and agree with the another... it becomes the lesser of two evils... the other thing is I like to see my vote cascade through the minor parties before it hits one of the 2 major parties, so i intentionally vote for a minor party just to get that effect...

Just to round out my illness, I am one of the 1% who vote below the line...  :crazy:  I'm all ready to go with my 110 votes (senate.io is a great website to help you get a cheat sheet if you are that way inclined).

Now that's a rant that I can enjoy!!

The problem nowadays is that the main parties are so alike but not alike at the same time, and for that reason people gravitate to these megalomaniacs as they are offering something the main parties are not, a leader who is not a boring fool, just an entertaining one.

I for one lean one way, but I disagree with some of that parties policies and agree with the another... it becomes the lesser of two evils... the other thing is I like to see my vote cascade through the minor parties before it hits one of the 2 major parties, so i intentionally vote for a minor party just to get that effect...

Just to round out my illness, I am one of the 1% who vote below the line...  :crazy:  I'm all ready to go with my 110 votes (senate.io is a great website to help you get a cheat sheet if you are that way inclined).

I have very similar thoughts re the political process and the current state of play regarding the main parties and their ideologies (or lack thereof). I also used to like going under the line on the senate ticket to vote for every single candidate with my preferences allocated 100% (for some reason the likes of the Christian Democrats, One Nation and the most redundant left wing parties always got the lowest preferences  <_< ). However the problem that is so depressing about this coming election is that not only will a small section of swinging voters in swinging seats actually define the government we get (as has always been the case with our preferential Westminster system where the House of Reps decides who gets to play leader), but that no one is really willing to create a vision for Australia that will last beyond the next Sky News bulletin or Daily Terrorgraph front page. It's as if we are all being bullied into boredom and cynicism through the careful manipulation of both the ALP and the Coalition. And as you say the protest vote (which usually can be reduced to such moronic single issues such as those espoused by the likes of Palmer) then for all its fringe influence and interest goes to the loonies like Cliveosaurapod Megalomanus.

Right now the only enjoyable aspect of the process we have in front of all of us as part of our democratic rights is getting to watch 'Gruen Nation' and 'The Hamster Decides'...if it wasn't for these shows I'd be looking to go down this route for our next government...

http://youtu.be/rAaWvVFERVA

Guest ZipGunBop

Heard Michael Thwaite on the radio when Palmer started his political "journey". He was very supportive of his former GCU boss and backed him in.

I thought; "ahh, now I know why Michael smiles all the time, he's deranged".

Oh come on...you can see a causal link between Clive Palmer's actions and how the FFA set up the Wanderers? if you pointed to say the erosion of the influence of Ben Buckley after the failure of the World Cup campaign, or the input of people like Tony Sage and Nathan Tinkler re the running of the A-League and the alarm bells that were rung at the FFA as a result particularly of the latter's "I'm going/I'm back" attitude to the Jest then maybe you might have some reason. Palmer's influence on the creation of the Wanderers vis-a-vis FFA policy was at most a matter of the opening of a slot that needed filling due to broadcast rights requirements and at worst SFA. And considering that the FFA did what they did and how they did it completely independent of consideration of Palmer's farkwittedness, and roughly two years after the fact the FFA are now announcing a FFA Cup, membership of ASEAN FA and 500 days countdown to the AFC Cup, whilst Palmer's 'Football Australia' is utterly extinct..well you give the fat turd far too much credit implied or real for anything to do with our sport, and not enough to the regime that made sure he was farked off.

If on the other hand you want to bemoan the delays and half-baked starts to establishing a team in the west of Sydney go for it. Having said that where would you rather be...supporting a club that has been built on a collective learning experience from at least the first 7 seasons of the A-League, or climbing on board from the get go with a club like ESFC that has all the club culture of the Orange & Black Clowns but with more fans...

lol, what are you on about mate!

Fact: If Palmer didnt lose his sh%t when he did, GCU wouldnt have been booted out of the HAL, thus no WsW in 12/13. Doing what he did when he did it resulted in the FFA looking for a resolution in order to hold up their end of the TV rights deal and thus WsW was born!

What part of that is not fact?

& I am fully aware that a WS team would have come along @ some point in time... It has worked out better than anybody could have imagined and Palmer started the domino effect, simple as that! Any view to the contrary is delusional!

Fact: If Palmer didnt lose his sh%t when he did, GCU wouldnt have been booted out of the HAL, thus no WsW in 12/13. Doing what he did when he did it resulted in the FFA looking for a resolution in order to hold up their end of the TV rights deal and thus WsW was born!

& I am fully aware that a WS team would have come along @ some point in time... It has worked out better than anybody could have imagined and Palmer started the domino effect, simple as that! Any view to the contrary is delusional!

You really have a problem with understanding the finer points of an argument don't you.

You said, and I quote:

Your statement makes it abundantly clear that there was a direct relationship between Clive Palmer and the creation of the Wanderers...you are arguing because of A, B happened. And I was arguing that because of a lot of elements that were not necessarily tied in to the failure of the GCU the Wanderers were entered into the A-League at that specific time; they were not the result purely of his tanty as you posit your argument. What happened was purely a catalyst for the FFA to take the action that they did. 

It would be far more appropriate to sheet home the responsibility for the existence of the Wanderers to the likes of Julia Gillard for providing the funding options for FFA to consider the creation of the Wanderers. Or Foxtel for establishing with the FFA a specific broadcast agreement that was based on a ten team competition. You have also conveniently forgotten the (doomed) efforts of the FFA to find a replacement licence holder for GCU...in failing to do so it was the FFA who drove the agenda for the creation of the Wanderers, not the absence of Clive Palmer's ownership of the GCU licence.

When you make try and argue for such a simplistic interpretation of events you are effectively undermining the reality of what happened. Yes, Clive Palmer's relinquishment of the GCU licence was a contributing factor but did Clive Palmer's actions make certain the establishment of the Wanderers as you posit...no, that isn't the entire truth. History can't be explained in simplistic one sentence equations.

^^^ Yes

And may I say that '...Holy Grail' is for me the best of all the Python films. Yes, cases may be mounted for 'Life of Brian' and even for 'Meaning of Life', but '...Grail' is the one that plays with the cinematic form in ways that are just as important as Python did with TV during their four BBC series. And how can you go past the Kinights who say 'Ni!'...

You really have a problem with understanding the finer points of an argument don't you.

You said, and I quote:

Your statement makes it abundantly clear that there was a direct relationship between Clive Palmer and the creation of the Wanderers...you are arguing because of A, B happened. And I was arguing that because of a lot of elements that were not necessarily tied in to the failure of the GCU the Wanderers were entered into the A-League at that specific time; they were not the result purely of his tanty as you posit your argument. What happened was purely a catalyst for the FFA to take the action that they did. 

It would be far more appropriate to sheet home the responsibility for the existence of the Wanderers to the likes of Julia Gillard for providing the funding options for FFA to consider the creation of the Wanderers. Or Foxtel for establishing with the FFA a specific broadcast agreement that was based on a ten team competition. You have also conveniently forgotten the (doomed) efforts of the FFA to find a replacement licence holder for GCU...in failing to do so it was the FFA who drove the agenda for the creation of the Wanderers, not the absence of Clive Palmer's ownership of the GCU licence.

When you make try and argue for such a simplistic interpretation of events you are effectively undermining the reality of what happened. Yes, Clive Palmer's relinquishment of the GCU licence was a contributing factor but did Clive Palmer's actions make certain the establishment of the Wanderers as you posit...no, that isn't the entire truth. History can't be explained in simplistic one sentence equations.

cbf champ!

• mack unlocked this topic