Sign in to follow this  
Nnnnnathan12

The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

25 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Bit of a reality check after the France and England games

True, although a lot of big names not playing (Kerr, Van Egmond etc). Almost felt sorry for England - we certainly got all of the close calls. I believe the referree was French.......:cheeky:

Edited by Potkorok
spelling

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Yeah nevielle was questioning the standard of referring in the woman’s game 

also after playing with sir Alex for a decade and getting every call for that time he wouldn’t be use to the other side of the stick 

58 minutes ago, Potkorok said:

True, although a lot of big names not playing (Kerr, Van Egmond etc). Almost felt sorry for England - we certainly got all of the close calls. I believe the referree was French.......:cheeky:

Yes our midfeild, Keeper and of course Kerr were out. I had no idea England and France were so strong though, Stajic will be happy can learn more out of these losses than the victories.

46 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Yes our midfeild, Keeper and of course Kerr were out. I had no idea England and France were so strong though, Stajic will be happy can learn more out of these losses than the victories.

A loss to France without Kerr, van Egmond, Kennedy, Williams. Ellie Carpenter was cut to pieces by France.

A draw with England without the same players despite any poor refereeing. Ellie Carpenter created the opportunity for the goal with a great run and shot on target which was saved by the England keeper. A near full strength English Team couldn't beat an understrength Matilda's. The English women despite a multitude of chances were not a happy bunch.

We were well outplayed but Stajic clearly trying out players.

We'll be in the mix but it's gonna be tough.  Matildas, as shown at recent international tournaments, can get behind the 8 ball from the start if they don't hit the ground running. And there are some real good teams they'll come up against, assuming they make the knockouts. 

We're ranked 6th and that seems about right, though any team in the top dozen or so could do us.

(Why must I be the optimist on here? I'm known as a curmudgeon in normal life!)

Bloody good signs there with key players absent. In no particular order:
- KK still the lynch pin. Beast. Class. Other superlative.
- Mary Fowler, holy ****. The real deal. Just needs the final bit of polish.
- Ellie Carpenter massive improvement from France, huge engine, huge desire
- Mackenzie solid replacement for Lyds

My biggest concern is the same it's been for years, Staj playing players out of position. Caitlin Foord is one of my favourite Matildas, but a left back she ain't.

I don't see any problems in a bit of experimentation in friendly matches, as long as we put forward the best team for the matches that matter.

The only risk is that there are 6 groups in the upcoming World Cup and we're currently ranked 6th in the world. I agree that we need to use friendlies to try new players but we also need results, otherwise we could drop to 7th and go from pot 1 to pot 2 in the group stage draw.

Japan and Brazil are currently 7th and 8th, have already qualified and will probably be doing everything they can to try and get into pot 1.

18 hours ago, TehSmileyBandit said:

My biggest concern is the same it's been for years, Staj playing players out of position. Caitlin Foord is one of my favourite Matildas, but a left back she ain't.

I am assuming this was part of the experimentation - getting hours in her legs while looking at other attackers - but he has played her at right back in tournaments before. When she’s fit and played in an attacking role she is very dangerous. Switching her to the front at one of the last big tournies (Olympics?) made a huge difference.

Good move playing against a couple of the top European teams instead of just USA, Brazil and Asian nations most of the time. The European nations are going from strength to strength and with the next World Cup in France you'd have to favour a Euro nation winning it.

Hope they don’t overwater the pitch and cut the grass to a lower height for the game against Chile than our FFA Cup game. Went past Penrith Stadium today and couldn’t see the NRL posts

i heard that the Panthers insist on having a higher grass length than is optimal for football but good for Thugby League. Apparently, this was one of the issues with using Penrith for the last 2 years as well as a lack of seats and corporate facilities.

15 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Hope they don’t overwater the pitch and cut the grass to a lower height for the game against Chile than our FFA Cup game. Went past Penrith Stadium today and couldn’t see the NRL posts

i heard that the Panthers insist on having a higher grass length than is optimal for football but good for Thugby League. Apparently, this was one of the issues with using Penrith for the last 2 years as well as a lack of seats and corporate facilities.

So much salt from the Panthers because they couldn't buy the ownership

Young Matilda’s playing Mongolia. Up 6-0 at halftime. 

I've been trying to watch the stream but it doesn't work too well. Ive missed several goals. It was 15-0 after 80 odd minutes. Would be fulltime now.

Young Matilda's qualified for the 2019 AFC u19 women's tournament by beating Hong Kong 3-0

5 minutes ago, Flytox said:

Matildas and Chile 1-1 after 23 mins.  Great crowd at Penrith.

The Maltilda's are all over them....but only one goal. The Chilean goal was due to horrible defence from Aus.

1 minute ago, sonar said:

The Maltilda's are all over them....but only one goal. The Chilean goal was due to horrible defence from Aus.

It worries me that our defence can make such bad mistakes.

Big,big wake up call for the Maltilda's. You don't put your chances away you get beat. Now 1-3

2 hours ago, sonar said:

Big,big wake up call for the Maltilda's. You don't put your chances away you get beat. Now 1-3

Yeah because Chile were pretty ordinary....big gulf in class between them and the likes of France and England

Matilda’s first touch wasn’t usually great compared to Chile.

Defensive errors were reminiscent of Gombau defence.

The back passes to Williams were not well weighted and led to 2 goals. The other was from a set piece.

transition to attack was good at times. De Vanna always chose the selfish option

22 hours ago, Potkorok said:

How good is Caitlin Ford?!?!

Filthy player in the W League, a female Brosque.

Anyway I just bumped into Ellie Carpenter walking around Parra Westfield, mentioned she looked better in WSW colours. 

A little sad they can walk around almost completely anonymous.

1 minute ago, hawks2767 said:

Filthy player in the W League, a female Brosque.

Anyway I just bumped into Ellie Carpenter walking around Parra Westfield, mentioned she looked better in WSW colours. 

A little sad they can walk around almost completely anonymous.

Saw too many smurf jerseys at the ground.