Sign in to follow this  
Nnnnnathan12

The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

Milicic. Didn’t want to be assistant coach (or wasn’t wanted anymore). Somehow stays on the payroll to go sit around in Croatia while his son tries to make the grade. Now brought back to deal with this farce. ****in hell. 

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

7 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I suspect the key points here are "interim coach" and as you point out no prior involvement in women's football, as well as on the books. Those 2 points combined make him the ideal gap filler while the **** fight continues, despite not knowing the players etc.

Weren't the FFA 'inundated' with applications? Did any of these get interviewed? How much input did the cricket bod have?

What is Arnie doing for the next 6 months , he has not been heard or seen since the Asia cup why could he do the interim 6 month role and safe FFA some money.

6 hours ago, Keithie said:

What is Arnie doing for the next 6 months , he has not been heard or seen since the Asia cup why could he do the interim 6 month role and safe FFA some money.

Pretty sure he has Olyroos qualifiers in March

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/19/ffa-get-the-right-coach-for-matildas-job-the-wrong-way

Good article that articulates the probable reasons why the FFA ultimately decided to appoint Ante Milicic as coach of the Australian Women's National team. He has both enormous challenges and opportunities ahead as he prepares the team for the World Cup. Hopefully the players can finally refocus on the collective goal of performing as well as they can at the upcoming World Cup.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/cup-of-nations-moved-from-jubilee-oval-to-leichhardt-due-to-poor-pitch-20190223-p50ztx.html

PSA: For anyone thinking of attending the first Cup of Nations fixtures on Thursday, the matches have been moved from Jubilee Oval to Leichhardt Oval.

On 24/02/2019 at 9:34 AM, FCWanderers said:

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/cup-of-nations-moved-from-jubilee-oval-to-leichhardt-due-to-poor-pitch-20190223-p50ztx.html

PSA: For anyone thinking of attending the first Cup of Nations fixtures on Thursday, the matches have been moved from Jubilee Oval to Leichhardt Oval.

The article isn't coming up for me, but I got an email from Ticketek telling me all tickets have been cancelled and refunded. If you still want to go, you have to repurchase from 1:00 today. Tickets on sale at reduced prices apparently.

I might make myself unpopular here but I question the appointment of Sam Kerr as Matilda's captain. Yes she's the best player in the team but is she a leader on the field? I'd be looking at Polkinghorne, Kennedy or maybe even Williams but to me it looks like Ante has gone for the 'popular pick' to appease those of us still disgruntled with the Staj sacking.

Agree. Should have stuck with Polkinghorne. Kerr should focus on scoring goals and not other stuff which may happen on the pitch...

Mini-Matilda's v Iran 3-0

Matilda's v Korea Rep 4-1

From the Argentina v NZ game

Mini-Matilda's won another game beating Vietnam 1-0 to register back to back win in AFC qualifiers.

32 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Mini-Matilda's won another game beating Vietnam 1-0 to register back to back win in AFC qualifiers.

on the live stream I couldn't find the goal? What minute?

3 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

on the live stream I couldn't find the goal? What minute?

88'

Mini-Matilda's up 2-0 @ 70 minutes. 

Still playing to F***** FFA Curriculum.

Mini-Matilda's win 3 games back to back with tonight's game against Laos resulting in a 3-0 win

http://www.espn.com.au/football/story/_/id/26176659/how-matildas-world-cup-rivals-fared

A round up of recent results from the teams we will be facing at the World Cup.

And the entire  USWNT sues their federation ahead of the World Cup.

Interesting times:ninja:

Entire US women's national team sue federation The US women's national team has sued the US Soccer Federation for alleged gender discrimination, just three months before they open their FIFA Women's World Cup title defence in France. : http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2019/03/09/entire-us-womens-national-team-sue-federation

The new Matildas jersey for the World Cup has been released.  Here are some press articles both here and overseas covering the unveiling of the World Cup jerseys.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/matildas/nike-unveils-the-matildas-new-kit-for-the-2019-womens-world-cup/news-story/d0d70e404d93d870f40a660dbad296be?nk=ce536b7e62e93c245ce15211d039f19a-1552336333

and from the NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/11/style/womens-world-cup-kit-nike.html

and finally 

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/03/australia-matildas-2019-football-world-cup-jersey-unveiled

Spew Jersey v2.0

Are they releasing it in women’s & men’s cut?

I thought Pro Hart was dead..........

6 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I thought Pro Hart was dead..........

And now the players are wearing the carpet he was killed on.

I reckon it's a vibrant colourful jersey and looks good**. However, the designer spiel about being influenced by street Melbourne and wattle etc etc is a lot of codswallop.

** Although in the spirit of declaring vested interests, I do still have an original "spew" jersey and wear it occasionally.

12 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Although in the spirit of declaring vested interests, I do still have an original "spew" jersey and wear it occasionally.

Does that mean you also sport a perm, flat top or other befitting hairstyle?

5 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

Does that mean you also sport a perm, flat top or other befitting hairstyle?

Errrm no!

Although, for the first time in my life, I've let my hair grow long for the past year or so - well at least the part where it still grows at all - and that part has shrunk alarmingly since I started!

Rebel gaffe leave Nike spewing

Australia’s largest sporting goods retailer, Rebel, looks to have completely misread the public and missed out on a significant cash-cow after rejecting an offer to stock the new Matildas’ World Cup jersey in mens sizes.

The widely lauded “new spew” jersey has proved a hit online, drawing parallels to the infamous early 1990s Socceroos kit though Rebel failed to predict its appeal. The company took up an order for women’s sizes only when offered a larger stock from FFA and supplier Nike, and only a token amount of mens jerseys for some stores believing there would be almost no cross-gender appeal.

Within hours of its release, the first order of mens jerseys were sold out online on Tuesday while almost all sizes were sold less than a day after the second round of release was put up for sale shortly after on the FFA’s website.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/australia-miss-out-on-hosting-the-2020-copa-america-20190314-p514b0.html

It seems like they underestimated the demand for the Men's cut of the Matildas jersey. 

If they release the Matildas Nike socks in Men's,Women's Youth and even toddler sizes, I think it would sell well.  I would buy a pair to show my support, especially since most of the Matildas matches will be broadcast late night and overnight in June/July during winter. I hope Nike release the socks for sale so I can wear my "Matildas socks" when I'm watching the World Cup in June.

16 hours ago, FCWanderers said:

Rebel gaffe leave Nike spewing

Australia’s largest sporting goods retailer, Rebel, looks to have completely misread the public and missed out on a significant cash-cow after rejecting an offer to stock the new Matildas’ World Cup jersey in mens sizes.

The widely lauded “new spew” jersey has proved a hit online, drawing parallels to the infamous early 1990s Socceroos kit though Rebel failed to predict its appeal. The company took up an order for women’s sizes only when offered a larger stock from FFA and supplier Nike, and only a token amount of mens jerseys for some stores believing there would be almost no cross-gender appeal.

Within hours of its release, the first order of mens jerseys were sold out online on Tuesday while almost all sizes were sold less than a day after the second round of release was put up for sale shortly after on the FFA’s website.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/australia-miss-out-on-hosting-the-2020-copa-america-20190314-p514b0.html

It seems like they underestimated the demand for the Men's cut of the Matildas jersey. 

If they release the Matildas Nike socks in Men's,Women's Youth and even toddler sizes, I think it would sell well.  I would buy a pair to show my support, especially since most of the Matildas matches will be broadcast late night and overnight in June/July during winter. I hope Nike release the socks for sale so I can wear my "Matildas socks" when I'm watching the World Cup in June.

Yeah, because males don't watch and support female sport, right?

On 09/03/2019 at 1:52 PM, Paul01 said:

And the entire  USWNT sues their federation ahead of the World Cup.

Interesting times:ninja:

Entire US women's national team sue federation The US women's national team has sued the US Soccer Federation for alleged gender discrimination, just three months before they open their FIFA Women's World Cup title defence in France. : http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2019/03/09/entire-us-womens-national-team-sue-federation

Interesting times indeed. Looks like we aren't the only team with these culture issues. 

More fundamentally, I think it is the fact that interest in women's soccer has increased rapidly in recent years and FAs haven't adjusted and treated female players in accordance with that rise.