The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Well for both countries, the Women's National Teams are better ranked than their male counterparts.  

In the US, the colleges have to give equal resources to women's sport and football usually gets most of the money.

Now they want to extrapolate that to the USWNT who could get bigger crowds than the USMNT. 

But if they strike, will they not go to the World Cup?

Probably a game of chicken as the Women might just want a better pay deal like the Matildas? I don't know enough about the USWNT but I wouldn't be surprised if they have similar issues.

The typical argument (rightly or wrongly) is that sport is the entertainment business and the men’s games attract bigger crowds, tv audiences and the associated rights deals and bring in more sponsor revenue.

However in the US the women’s team can have bigger ratings than the men’s team so that argument kinda falls over.

On 16/03/2019 at 1:24 PM, Davo said:

The typical argument (rightly or wrongly) is that sport is the entertainment business and the men’s games attract bigger crowds, tv audiences and the associated rights deals and bring in more sponsor revenue.

However in the US the women’s team can have bigger ratings than the men’s team so that argument kinda falls over.

Also US Women qualified for the World Cup and the Men's team... well

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Young Matilda's playing Uzbekistan in yellow sort of spew jerseys, green shorts and white socks. 

Currently 3-0 up at 57 minutes and will qualify for the u19 afc women's championship if they draw or win. Can't find the starting but one of ours on the field, Susan P.

• 4 weeks later...

Optus giving free streaming access to school kids to watch the women’s World Cup. You just need to take your kid (or someone else’s kid) in store to claim a voucher, which you redeem online.  I haven’t read the fine print in detail but it seems pretty sweet. Let’s hope they can manage a bit better this time eh?

https://www.matildas.com.au/news/optus-sport-offer-how-australian-school-kids-can-watch-fifa-womens-world-cup-free

2 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Optus giving free streaming access to school kids to watch the women’s World Cup. You just need to take your kid (or someone else’s kid) in store to claim a voucher, which you redeem online.  I haven’t read the fine print in detail but it seems pretty sweet. Let’s hope they can manage a bit better this time eh?

https://www.matildas.com.au/news/optus-sport-offer-how-australian-school-kids-can-watch-fifa-womens-world-cup-free

FFA sided with Telstra because of Foxtel but Optus got the Women’s World Cup.

if you have Optus Internet you get the Women’s World Cup as part of your package.

26 minutes ago, papersun said:

Interesting, looks like Heather Reid's position on the FFA board has become untenable.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-issues-formal-apology-to-stajcic-20190531-p51t3b.html

Peak FFA stupidity. As head of the FFA Gallop is one dumb ****wit. The sooner he goes the better.

Edited by sonar

From Reid's apology:

On 22 January 2019 The Sydney Morning Herald published a story about the termination of Mr Stajcic’s contract by Football Federation Australia, in which I was quoted as saying that if people knew the actual facts about Mr Stajcic’s behaviour ‘they would be shocked.

I also, at around this time, sent personal communications to a number of people including various members of the media, in which I suggested that, if the whole truth could be told, Mr Stajcic would never work again in women’s football.

I understand also that these communications ended up in the hands of other journalists who have used my words to compound the speculation and innuendo as to the reason why Mr Stajcic’s employment was terminated.

So she was speaking on the record when she said that people would be shocked if they knew the truth. Then she sent messages to people in the media saying similar. Now she's complaining that this got in the hands of other journalists who used her exact words against her. Either she's dangerously naive about how the media works or she knew exactly what she was doing and that it would get out (hint: it's this one). Either way she can't stay in the job.

Also it'll be interesting to see the response from people in the media who took her side and took the line of "I know the details but I can't tell you, trust me".

https://www.ffa.com.au/news/statement-football-federation-australia-re-alen-stajcic

Statement from Football Federation Australia regarding Alen Stajcic

On 19 January 2019 Football Federation Australia (FFA) made the decision to terminate the contract of the Matildas head coach, Alen Stajcic.

Since that time there has been considerable commentary and speculation about why Alen Stajcic’s contract was terminated.

FFA by this statement wishes to make clear that Alen Stajcic’s contract was not terminated on the basis that he had breached his contract or had engaged in any misconduct. Any inference that has been drawn about these being reasons for Alen’s contract termination is wrong.

Alen’s contract was terminated by FFA exercising its contractual right of termination by making a preagreed payment in lieu of notice. FFA’s decision to do this was reached simply because its Board formed the view, following a process undertaken by management, that the Matildas would benefit from a new coach for the FIFA World Cup in France.

FFA acknowledges that some of the speculation about the termination of Alen’s contract was caused by statements made by one of its directors, Heather Reid.

These statements were not made on behalf of FFA and did not reflect the decision of the Board or the reasons why it made that decision. Heather has withdrawn those comments and issued an apology to Alen for having made them.

FFA and Alen in the interests of the Matildas have also agreed to resolve their differences and move forward and neither will be making any further comment on these issues. FFA gratefully acknowledges the significant contribution that Alen has made to women’s football in Australia and wishes him well in his future endeavours.

3 hours ago, HillsWanderer said:

https://www.ffa.com.au/news/statement-football-federation-australia-re-alen-stajcic

Statement from Football Federation Australia regarding Alen Stajcic

On 19 January 2019 Football Federation Australia (FFA) made the decision to terminate the contract of the Matildas head coach, Alen Stajcic.

Since that time there has been considerable commentary and speculation about why Alen Stajcic’s contract was terminated.

FFA by this statement wishes to make clear that Alen Stajcic’s contract was not terminated on the basis that he had breached his contract or had engaged in any misconduct. Any inference that has been drawn about these being reasons for Alen’s contract termination is wrong.

Alen’s contract was terminated by FFA exercising its contractual right of termination by making a preagreed payment in lieu of notice. FFA’s decision to do this was reached simply because its Board formed the view, following a process undertaken by management, that the Matildas would benefit from a new coach for the FIFA World Cup in France.

FFA acknowledges that some of the speculation about the termination of Alen’s contract was caused by statements made by one of its directors, Heather Reid.

These statements were not made on behalf of FFA and did not reflect the decision of the Board or the reasons why it made that decision. Heather has withdrawn those comments and issued an apology to Alen for having made them.

FFA and Alen in the interests of the Matildas have also agreed to resolve their differences and move forward and neither will be making any further comment on these issues. FFA gratefully acknowledges the significant contribution that Alen has made to women’s football in Australia and wishes him well in his future endeavours.

Had this been the case at the start and they lined it up with a world class coach, no one would have said anything. Instead, those within the FFA made it a personal vendetta against Stajcic and have been left to cover their tracks.

The problem I have with this whole situation is that the FFA could have released this statement within the week of Heather making those claims.

Yet, they didn't. Gallop and his cronies sat on their hands not knowing wtf to say to difuse the situation that they themselves created. It's taken them 4 months to issue this statement. Is this the best they could come up with? After 4 ******* months? I have no doubt that legal eagles have been involved, from both sides, for us to get to this outcome today. It's sad at best and pathetic in the extreme.

"FFA and Alen in the interests of the Matildas have also agreed to resolve their differences and move forward and neither will be making any further comment on these issues."

I sincerely hope Alen got a decent settlement out of all this. The whole situation was handled appallingly.

Throughout his whole tenure, Gallop has just lurched from one disaster to another. This was just the latest. I don't need to go through the others as we all know what they were. In this particular case, he may not have made the decision to terminate Stajcic's contract, but he was complicit through his handling and communication of the whole situation.  The sooner the prick is gone, the better.

I'll never forget how during his first term of his contract as CEO of the FFA, he jumped on the back of our success in our first season, standing their in all his self proclaimed glory, waxing lyrical how football will take over this country. 

It's been ******* downhill ever since.

7 minutes ago, Davo said:

Also if they're going to wait this long why not wait a little longer and say all this after the World Cup, not right before it starts for maximum bad press and destabilisation of the team and Milicic.

Because they have no idea about football in this country.

They don't care for the game. They only care for themselves.

39 minutes ago, Davo said:

Also if they're going to wait this long why not wait a little longer and say all this after the World Cup, not right before it starts for maximum bad press and destabilisation of the team and Milicic.

I'm with wanderboy. I think they've had a nugde from AS' lawyers.... or at least I hope they did.....

• mack locked this topic