Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Nnnnnathan12

The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Burztur said:

Interesting times indeed. Looks like we aren't the only team with these culture issues. 

More fundamentally, I think it is the fact that interest in women's soccer has increased rapidly in recent years and FAs haven't adjusted and treated female players in accordance with that rise.

Well for both countries, the Women's National Teams are better ranked than their male counterparts.  

In the US, the colleges have to give equal resources to women's sport and football usually gets most of the money.

Now they want to extrapolate that to the USWNT who could get bigger crowds than the USMNT. 

But if they strike, will they not go to the World Cup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Well for both countries, the Women's National Teams are better ranked than their male counterparts.  

In the US, the colleges have to give equal resources to women's sport and football usually gets most of the money.

Now they want to extrapolate that to the USWNT who could get bigger crowds than the USMNT. 

But if they strike, will they not go to the World Cup?

Probably a game of chicken as the Women might just want a better pay deal like the Matildas? I don't know enough about the USWNT but I wouldn't be surprised if they have similar issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With the World Cup only 3/4 months away it seems an odd time to pick a fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The typical argument (rightly or wrongly) is that sport is the entertainment business and the men’s games attract bigger crowds, tv audiences and the associated rights deals and bring in more sponsor revenue.

However in the US the women’s team can have bigger ratings than the men’s team so that argument kinda falls over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/03/2019 at 1:24 PM, Davo said:

The typical argument (rightly or wrongly) is that sport is the entertainment business and the men’s games attract bigger crowds, tv audiences and the associated rights deals and bring in more sponsor revenue.

However in the US the women’s team can have bigger ratings than the men’s team so that argument kinda falls over.

Also US Women qualified for the World Cup and the Men's team... well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/football/news/matildas-star-chidiac-involved-in-world-record-womens-football-crowd/xu0mhhgakaoh129ps3q9nwwc6

Alex Chidiac, current Matilda, played a match against Barcelona for her team Atletico Madrid in front of a record crowd, 60739.

Edited by FCWanderers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to score three away against the US but copping five is worrying. The last goal in particular was just a long ball over the top from the keeper and they were in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could of copped a hiding, Williams stopped plenty and a goalline clearance we could of been 4 down at half time.  We looked good going forward but we looked so terrible in defence, so slow, so so slow and no real structure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Young Matilda's beat Nepal 11-1 tonight. Scorers unknown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Young Matilda's playing Uzbekistan in yellow sort of spew jerseys, green shorts and white socks. 

Currently 3-0 up at 57 minutes and will qualify for the u19 afc women's championship if they draw or win. Can't find the starting but one of ours on the field, Susan P.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Optus giving free streaming access to school kids to watch the women’s World Cup. You just need to take your kid (or someone else’s kid) in store to claim a voucher, which you redeem online.  I haven’t read the fine print in detail but it seems pretty sweet. Let’s hope they can manage a bit better this time eh?

https://www.matildas.com.au/news/optus-sport-offer-how-australian-school-kids-can-watch-fifa-womens-world-cup-free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Optus giving free streaming access to school kids to watch the women’s World Cup. You just need to take your kid (or someone else’s kid) in store to claim a voucher, which you redeem online.  I haven’t read the fine print in detail but it seems pretty sweet. Let’s hope they can manage a bit better this time eh?

https://www.matildas.com.au/news/optus-sport-offer-how-australian-school-kids-can-watch-fifa-womens-world-cup-free

FFA sided with Telstra because of Foxtel but Optus got the Women’s World Cup.

if you have Optus Internet you get the Women’s World Cup as part of your package.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, papersun said:

Interesting, looks like Heather Reid's position on the FFA board has become untenable.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-issues-formal-apology-to-stajcic-20190531-p51t3b.html

Peak FFA stupidity. As head of the FFA Gallop is one dumb ****wit. The sooner he goes the better.

Edited by sonar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sonar said:

Peak FFA stupidity. **** Gallop is one dumb ****wit. The sooner he goes the better.

You don't speak with forked tongue.

You speak truth:good:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, papersun said:

Interesting, looks like Heather Reid's position on the FFA board has become untenable.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-issues-formal-apology-to-stajcic-20190531-p51t3b.html

So why did she do it? I don't get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Reid's apology:

Quote

On 22 January 2019 The Sydney Morning Herald published a story about the termination of Mr Stajcic’s contract by Football Federation Australia, in which I was quoted as saying that if people knew the actual facts about Mr Stajcic’s behaviour ‘they would be shocked.

I also, at around this time, sent personal communications to a number of people including various members of the media, in which I suggested that, if the whole truth could be told, Mr Stajcic would never work again in women’s football.

I understand also that these communications ended up in the hands of other journalists who have used my words to compound the speculation and innuendo as to the reason why Mr Stajcic’s employment was terminated.

So she was speaking on the record when she said that people would be shocked if they knew the truth. Then she sent messages to people in the media saying similar. Now she's complaining that this got in the hands of other journalists who used her exact words against her. Either she's dangerously naive about how the media works or she knew exactly what she was doing and that it would get out (hint: it's this one). Either way she can't stay in the job.

Also it'll be interesting to see the response from people in the media who took her side and took the line of "I know the details but I can't tell you, trust me".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, papersun said:

Interesting, looks like Heather Reid's position on the FFA board has become untenable.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/ffa-issues-formal-apology-to-stajcic-20190531-p51t3b.html

Not good enough..... resign now you %$#@%^.

Stajcic was our best chance of wc glory even despite of Ante.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

So why did she do it? I don't get it.

Internal politics most probably. We love our game but FMD the games hierachy and leadership are f'wits. Always self inflicted wounds.Shafted a good person for what...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ffa.com.au/news/statement-football-federation-australia-re-alen-stajcic

Statement from Football Federation Australia regarding Alen Stajcic

On 19 January 2019 Football Federation Australia (FFA) made the decision to terminate the contract of the Matildas head coach, Alen Stajcic.

Since that time there has been considerable commentary and speculation about why Alen Stajcic’s contract was terminated.

FFA by this statement wishes to make clear that Alen Stajcic’s contract was not terminated on the basis that he had breached his contract or had engaged in any misconduct. Any inference that has been drawn about these being reasons for Alen’s contract termination is wrong.

Alen’s contract was terminated by FFA exercising its contractual right of termination by making a preagreed payment in lieu of notice. FFA’s decision to do this was reached simply because its Board formed the view, following a process undertaken by management, that the Matildas would benefit from a new coach for the FIFA World Cup in France.

FFA acknowledges that some of the speculation about the termination of Alen’s contract was caused by statements made by one of its directors, Heather Reid.

These statements were not made on behalf of FFA and did not reflect the decision of the Board or the reasons why it made that decision. Heather has withdrawn those comments and issued an apology to Alen for having made them.

FFA and Alen in the interests of the Matildas have also agreed to resolve their differences and move forward and neither will be making any further comment on these issues. FFA gratefully acknowledges the significant contribution that Alen has made to women’s football in Australia and wishes him well in his future endeavours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heather Reid's full of her own self importance. My daughter played in the ACT WNPL for a few years and it appeared that Reid was an extremely divisive figure in the ACT hierarchy. Not a good example for women in positions of major responsibility.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Not a good example for women in positions of major responsibility

Yeah, succeeding by being a bigger bastard than the blokes is not the way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HillsWanderer said:

https://www.ffa.com.au/news/statement-football-federation-australia-re-alen-stajcic

Statement from Football Federation Australia regarding Alen Stajcic

On 19 January 2019 Football Federation Australia (FFA) made the decision to terminate the contract of the Matildas head coach, Alen Stajcic.

Since that time there has been considerable commentary and speculation about why Alen Stajcic’s contract was terminated.

FFA by this statement wishes to make clear that Alen Stajcic’s contract was not terminated on the basis that he had breached his contract or had engaged in any misconduct. Any inference that has been drawn about these being reasons for Alen’s contract termination is wrong.

Alen’s contract was terminated by FFA exercising its contractual right of termination by making a preagreed payment in lieu of notice. FFA’s decision to do this was reached simply because its Board formed the view, following a process undertaken by management, that the Matildas would benefit from a new coach for the FIFA World Cup in France.

 FFA acknowledges that some of the speculation about the termination of Alen’s contract was caused by statements made by one of its directors, Heather Reid.

These statements were not made on behalf of FFA and did not reflect the decision of the Board or the reasons why it made that decision. Heather has withdrawn those comments and issued an apology to Alen for having made them.

FFA and Alen in the interests of the Matildas have also agreed to resolve their differences and move forward and neither will be making any further comment on these issues. FFA gratefully acknowledges the significant contribution that Alen has made to women’s football in Australia and wishes him well in his future endeavours.

Had this been the case at the start and they lined it up with a world class coach, no one would have said anything. Instead, those within the FFA made it a personal vendetta against Stajcic and have been left to cover their tracks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem I have with this whole situation is that the FFA could have released this statement within the week of Heather making those claims.

Yet, they didn't. Gallop and his cronies sat on their hands not knowing wtf to say to difuse the situation that they themselves created. It's taken them 4 months to issue this statement. Is this the best they could come up with? After 4 ******* months? I have no doubt that legal eagles have been involved, from both sides, for us to get to this outcome today. It's sad at best and pathetic in the extreme.

 

"FFA and Alen in the interests of the Matildas have also agreed to resolve their differences and move forward and neither will be making any further comment on these issues."

I sincerely hope Alen got a decent settlement out of all this. The whole situation was handled appallingly.

Throughout his whole tenure, Gallop has just lurched from one disaster to another. This was just the latest. I don't need to go through the others as we all know what they were. In this particular case, he may not have made the decision to terminate Stajcic's contract, but he was complicit through his handling and communication of the whole situation.  The sooner the prick is gone, the better.

I'll never forget how during his first term of his contract as CEO of the FFA, he jumped on the back of our success in our first season, standing their in all his self proclaimed glory, waxing lyrical how football will take over this country. 

It's been ******* downhill ever since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also if they're going to wait this long why not wait a little longer and say all this after the World Cup, not right before it starts for maximum bad press and destabilisation of the team and Milicic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Davo said:

Also if they're going to wait this long why not wait a little longer and say all this after the World Cup, not right before it starts for maximum bad press and destabilisation of the team and Milicic.

Because they have no idea about football in this country.

They don't care for the game. They only care for themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Davo said:

Also if they're going to wait this long why not wait a little longer and say all this after the World Cup, not right before it starts for maximum bad press and destabilisation of the team and Milicic.

I'm with wanderboy. I think they've had a nugde from AS' lawyers.... or at least I hope they did.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×