The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

if we can host the 2023 women's world cup then I reckon that will be the tipping point and all Matilda's games will be huge events like the US women's teams games are over there.

I look forward to the creative way that the ffa will **** up this opportunity - over to you david......

Edited by lloydy136
21 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

if we can host the 2023 women's world cup then I reckon that will be the tipping point and all Matilda's games will be huge events like the US women's teams games are over there.

I look forward to the creative way that the ffa will **** up this opportunity - over to you david......

One would hope that David's not around to **** up this opportunity !!

8 hours ago, sonar said:

Well done again to the Matilda's in Newcastle. 16K on a weeknight, 3-2 win against Brazil and a thoroughly entertaining game.

We had a p*** weak penalty given against us late to make the score look respectable but the Brazillians were outclassed again.

If they stay together and all get first team game time with their clubs  the Matildas will give the next world cup a real shake.

Whilst I would agree that this is best Matildas outfit I have seen in almost 20 years of following their fortunes, I hope we all don't get too carried away with expectations. The squad which played the last few games had all the key players fit and firing; an injury to Sam Kerr would be devastating in current form. All the major countries are improving too, particularly in Europe where we shouldn't underestimate the strength of their domestic and European competitions, so all their players will be 'battle hardened'. Just a shame that the W-League wont be played under the same conditions as the 2 Brazil friendlies. Instead the games will be played in the heat of the summer at disadvantageous KO times so the games won't flow nearly as much.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:10 AM, SomeGuy1977 said:

I was disappointed we didn't see the backflip.

Well the crowd got to see it last night! :clapping:

What a great game!

I'm sure that if there had been football newbies in the two impressive crowds the Matildas have played before this week, they'd have left as converts to the game at its best!!

Well done to the girls!

:hi::hi:

1 hour ago, MartinTyler said:

Whilst I would agree that this is best Matildas outfit I have seen in almost 20 years of following their fortunes, I hope we all don't get too carried away with expectations. The squad which played the last few games had all the key players fit and firing; an injury to Sam Kerr would be devastating in current form. All the major countries are improving too, particularly in Europe where we shouldn't underestimate the strength of their domestic and European competitions, so all their players will be 'battle hardened'. Just a shame that the W-League wont be played under the same conditions as the 2 Brazil friendlies. Instead the games will be played in the heat of the summer at disadvantageous KO times so the games won't flow nearly as much.

I think internally within the team they are aware of the hard work and the improvement that is required to reach their goals over the next few years as evidenced by these two interviews from the coach Alen Stajcic, in his press conference and Sam Kerr.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/matildas/matildas-v-brazil-alen-stajcic-reacts-to-road-ahead-for-australia/news-story/5a5d3a805f2bf3c4f0a8a90906340bbb

And

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-20/matildas-star-sam-kerr-the-talk-of-the-football-world/8962524

I particularly like the fact that Sam Kerr is thinking long term, about how this team can impact football in this country.

The hype and expectation that will surround this team in the future, especially from the media is beyond the teams control.

Edited by FCWanderers
More to add

Matilda's to face China over 2 friendlies in Melbourne. 

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/09/20/matildas-face-china-home-friendlies

Melbourne's AAMI Park will host the first match on the Wednesday November 22, with Geelong's Simonds Stadium rounding out the tour on Sunday November 26.

Edited by SomeGuy1977
15 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

This is great BUT it also is something to be wary of. Once the money starts coming in, that can pull the team apart. Until now, they have been so level-headed, so clearly passionate for the jersey and not the riches. They just need to manage this well, particularly if one or two of them get the big deals.

Bit late to the party as been busy as a one armed taxi driver with the crabs. Have to say that last Saturday's match at the Riff with the Matilda's getting the win was a wonderful day. Had the gf and her 7 year old nephew with me and they all enjoyed the game. The quality of the Matildas against Brazil in that match (I missed the Newy game) was a delight...worked hard, often controlled the ball, and the only way the Brazilians could respond was to go dirty. De Vanna's goal was as good as if not better than many recent Socceroo stunners (e.g. Holman's at WC2010, Rogic's against Saudi in Adelaide), and seeing the locals respond so positively to the Matildas gives one hope for the future of the sport in this country.

Right now there is no better national team repping Oz, male or female. Oh and Sam Kerr is THE best female player in world football (fück FIFA)

3 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

She was only in the job for 10 months I believe. Replaced by the guy who she replaced. 

Good thing there were no penalty shootouts for the Brazilian Gk.

heard on the way home the sacked coach had lost 6 in a row.

11 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Good thing there were no penalty shootouts for the Brazilian Gk.

heard on the way home the sacked coach had lost 6 in a row.

lol

Pretty sure they drew with Japan at the TON. Was that in their last 6? And I think the US put 4 past them and then the 6 the Matilda's served them, it wasn't a great tournament and she would have been thinking about her resume and making sure it's up to date I think.

On 9/20/2017 at 5:57 AM, lloydy136 said:

and so it begins......

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-09-27/womens-world-cup-bid-under-threat-over-ffa-dispute/8992764

• 2 weeks later...

3 Wanderers Women selected for Young Matildas: Jada Whyman, Rachel Lowe and new signing Susan Phonsongkham to play in AFC u19 Women's Championship in China.

They play Korea Republic, Japan and Vietnam in Pool B.

Top 3 teams advance to the U20 World Cup.

On 16/10/2017 at 9:13 PM, FCWanderers said:

Next game Young Matildas 

Australia v Japan
Thursday 19 October 2017
Jiangning Sports Centre, Nanjing
Kick-off: 7pm (local); 10pm (AEDT)

Currently up 1-0 at half-time. 

Jada Whyman in the starting line-up and going strong with short and long balls.

Rachel Lowe also in the starting line-up and defending well.

former Wanderer Ellie Carpenter started as one of the centre-backs, not really here go. 

Van Egmond definitely played with a back 4

37 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Currently up 1-0 at half-time. 

Jada Whyman in the starting line-up and going strong with short and long balls.

Rachel Lowe also in the starting line-up and defending well.

former Wanderer Ellie Carpenter started as one of the centre-backs, not really here go. 

Van Egmond definitely played with a back 4

Down 1-4 now. Second to the ball most of the time. One goal was a deflection.

Another goal was good attack on their part down the left wing and poor defending. Another was a deflection. 

Ibini's liitle sister off the pace or being played out of position like Ellie.

Young Matilda's lost to North Korea 0-3 in the semi-final. Our new signing from FNSW Susan with the very long Thai name for the W-League was in the starting line-up

Van Egmond appears to blame Jada Whyman for the big loss against Japan and was not in the starting lineup again. He also rested Chiadiac, Lowe and Ibini.

still a chanc to go to the World Cup if they beat China (in China) for the third place.

• mack locked this topic