The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

Whooh nervy.

Japan took a risk at the end, not trying to go for the win, relying on Vietnam to not allow a 5th against South Korea for the last 4 min plus stoppages.

Can’t help but think we would have won this easily if Kyah Simon was on from the start. Also, young Ellie Carpenter was caught out of position a few times.

Alayna Kennedy is awesome. Underrated.

3 hours ago, mack said:

Our goal came from a blatant foul on the keeper. :meep:

Nah. That is exactly the sort of thing that should be play on. Both going for it. You come to get it as a keeper, you've got to get it. You can use your body and hands.

9 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Whooh nervy.

Japan took a risk at the end, not trying to go for the win, relying on Vietnam to not allow a 5th against South Korea for the last 4 min plus stoppages.

Can’t help but think we would have won this easily if Kyah Simon was on from the start. Also, young Ellie Carpenter was caught out of position a few times.

Alayna Kennedy is awesome. Underrated.

Tiebreakers are head to head results before overall group results. Because Australia, Japan and Korea all were on 5 points it goes on head to head between the three teams (i.e. ignore the Vietnam games). Everyone had two draws and therefore a goal difference of zero. Then it’s goals for and because we drew 1-1 with Japan we both finish ahead of Korea. They could have beat Vietnam 10-0 and it wouldn’t have mattered.

Tbh I prefer this system because it becomes a bit of a crapshoot when there’s one dud team and it comes down to who destroys them the most.

7 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Nah. That is exactly the sort of thing that should be play on. Both going for it. You come to get it as a keeper, you've got to get it. You can use your body and hands.

Once the keeper has the ball in their hands you can't challenge them.

I don't think strikers should be allowed to kick the opposition keeper while they have the ball in their hands and are lying on the ground. If you allow it you end up with Shane Smeltz nearly putting Neil Young in a coffin, then doing it again a few years later to Mark Birighitti.

50 minutes ago, Davo said:

Tiebreakers are head to head results before overall group results. Because Australia, Japan and Korea all were on 5 points it goes on head to head between the three teams (i.e. ignore the Vietnam games). Everyone had two draws and therefore a goal difference of zero. Then it’s goals for and because we drew 1-1 with Japan we both finish ahead of Korea. They could have beat Vietnam 10-0 and it wouldn’t have mattered.

Tbh I prefer this system because it becomes a bit of a crapshoot when there’s one dud team and it comes down to who destroys them the most.

ah right.

Not sure which I prefer. This way means that both teams can sit on a 1-1 draw for a much longer period of time.  I think overall goal difference means they have to be worried about the other game more often. Imagine we equalised with 25 to go and Japan sat on the ball deep in their half.

I saw an article on foxsports website saying both teams refused to advance the ball! What? Australia never touched the ball after the goal.

Edited by btron3000
10 minutes ago, mack said:

Once the keeper has the ball in their hands you can't challenge them.

I don't think strikers should be allowed to kick the opposition keeper while they have the ball in their hands and are lying on the ground. If you allow it you end up with Shane Smeltz nearly putting Neil Young in a coffin, then doing it again a few years later to Mark Birighitti.

I don't think that is what happened in this case. Could be bias, but to me it looked like a fair enough challenge where they were both going for the ball at the same time.

Here is the story where they say both teams didn't get the ball forward.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/sam-kerr-helps-matildas-end-japanese-hex/news-story/d56256751d0d6b5c0c65d04a343a3984

Also, check out the caption on the photo of Ellie Carpenter where it identifies her by saying she has blonde hair.  I think the equality movements often do themselves a disservice when complaining about stuff that isn't racist or sexist, but would you ever see a male sportsperson identified by the colour of their hair in a photo? What's wrong with saying she is on the right like theu normally do?

EDIT: and now Mack's on there!

Edited by btron3000
1 hour ago, btron3000 said:

ah right.

Not sure which I prefer. This way means that both teams can sit on a 1-1 draw for a much longer period of time.  I think overall goal difference means they have to be worried about the other game more often. Imagine we equalised with 25 to go and Japan sat on the ball deep in their half.

I saw an article on foxsports website saying both teams refused to advance the ball! What? Australia never touched the ball after the goal.

Without head to head I reckon it gives the team playing the duds last a massive advantage because they know exactly how many goals they need. If Korea know they need a massive score they’ll start with a super aggressive lineup. If they only need a 1 or 2 goal win they’ll play safer at the back and take less risks.

Plus the last placed team are already out at this point so they’ve clocked off and started playing youth players.

I didn't watch this one but with the amount of changes it was always a risk however I did see the Japan and Korea game. Looks like other teams have figured out the Matildas and we are finding it difficult to create opportunities... they have gone the Socceroos way  :sorry:

9 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I didn't watch this one but with the amount of changes it was always a risk however I did see the Japan and Korea game. Looks like other teams have figured out the Matildas and we are finding it difficult to create opportunities... they have gone the Socceroos way  :sorry:

The Dutch technocrats can p*** o** with Lowy and Gallop in Sept

First goal by Thailand looked like the Diawara goal on Sunday with a long ball over the CBs and then Mackenzie Arnold was then chipped. The second goal was a typical play-out from the back error with ball failing to clear the penalty area shanked to a Thai player to score. 

So the Matildas are still following the play out from the back mantra. 

P*** o** Quickly the Dutch technical staff at the FFA.

6 hours ago, Paul01 said:

First goal by Thailand looked like the Diawara goal on Sunday with a long ball over the CBs and then Mackenzie Arnold was then chipped. The second goal was a typical play-out from the back error with ball failing to clear the penalty area shanked to a Thai player to score. 

So the Matildas are still following the play out from the back mantra. 

P*** o** Quickly the Dutch technical staff at the FFA.

I think you'll find that the Matilda's approach is more of a 'Staj' thing rather than FFA directives

I don’t understand why he doesn’t use Heyman more. She offers something different in that she holds the ball up. Even in the Olympics she was the one who should have had a pen given against Brasil. But yeah they have been faltering in big tournaments, getting out of the blocks slow and putting pressure on themselves.

1 minute ago, btron3000 said:

I don’t understand why he doesn’t use Heyman more. She offers something different in that she holds the ball up. Even in the Olympics she was the one who should have had a pen given against Brasil. But yeah they have been faltering in big tournaments, getting out of the blocks slow and putting pressure on themselves.

Let's hazard a guess.

Former Smurf W-League coach rested Kerr from the starting line-up in a semi-final and played former Smurf Kyah Simon. 

5 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Fox are showing it from 2:30am, with the kick off  scheduled for 3:00. Didn't think there are any FTA options (happy to be told otherwise though)

No FTA for Asian Cup.

However, for Womens World Cup Optus have the rights with selected games on SBS (assume all Matilda's games)

Opened up a bit, Japan threatening more as the half went on. Staj a little upset with a couple of studs up challenges going unpunished. 

A much improved performance so far compared to the Thailand game. Defence a little shaky at times. 

There’s goals coming. I just hope we’re on the right side of it.

• mack locked this topic