Nnnnnathan12

The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

Join WestSydneyFootball.Com and participate by registering an account.

Some pretty good games and tough groups. Win the group and play a 3rd placed team at a ground we'd played on in the groups, then a potential game at another ground they've already played on. Not bad. Looking forward to this.

Stajcic sacked with poor culture.

There goes the women's World Cup

1 minute ago, Paul01 said:

Stajcic sacked with poor culture.

There goes the women's World Cup

Your interpretation of that??

4 minutes ago, wendybr said:

My interpretation is that some players felt on the outer for some reasons like being left out altogether like Heyman, not played at all but in the squad or constantly played out of position. I am not sure but quoting the ABC website.

From the ABC 

Football Federation Australia (FFA) chief executive David Gallop said at a press conference the decision to sack Stajcic was made on the basis of two confidential surveys, one run by the players' association, and another under the FFA's watch, as well as conversations with players and staff.

The surveys highlighted "workplace" and "player welfare" issues.

"Ultimately the responsibility for changing culture rests with the head coach. We no longer feel confident that Alen is the right person to lead the team and staff," Gallop said.

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

My interpretation is that some players felt on the outer for some reasons like being left out altogether like Heyman, not played at all but in the squad or constantly played out of position. I am not sure but quoting the ABC website.

From the ABC 

Football Federation Australia (FFA) chief executive David Gallop said at a press conference the decision to sack Stajcic was made on the basis of two confidential surveys, one run by the players' association, and another under the FFA's watch, as well as conversations with players and staff.

The surveys highlighted "workplace" and "player welfare" issues.

"Ultimately the responsibility for changing culture rests with the head coach. We no longer feel confident that Alen is the right person to lead the team and staff," Gallop said.

Like Cricket Australia, the responsibility for changing culture rests with the governing body. Gallop out? Never really rated Heyman myself so I have no qualms with her being left out

2 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Like Cricket Australia, the responsibility for changing culture rests with the governing body. Gallop out? Never really rated Heyman myself so I have no qualms with her being left out

From other forums, Stajcic has picking his favourites,  not the in form players.

I am not sure at all of this but there is a very small hint of gender issues.

From other forums, Stajcic has picking his favourites,  not the in form players.

I am not sure at all of this but there is a very small hint of gender issues.

I follow this pretty closely and I can't fathom who exactly are Staj's favourites and which in form players are missing out. Have any names been mentioned?

Just now, MartinTyler said:

I follow this pretty closely and I can't fathom who exactly are Staj's favourites and which in form players are missing out. Have any names been mentioned?

Not yet but Stajcic appears to going through the FCA (Coaches association) and will file for unfair dismissal.

Not yet but Stajcic appears to going through the FCA (Coaches association) and will file for unfair dismissal.

This could get ugly then and potentially split the Matilda's camp

1 minute ago, MartinTyler said:

This could get ugly then and potentially split the Matilda's camp

Yep. Smurf Logarzo and former Smurf Kyah Simon have tweeted their support of Stajcic.

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Yep. Smurf Logarzo and former Smurf Kyah Simon have tweeted their support of Stajcic.

Yes just heard on the ABC news that one of them was "shocked" and the other "devastated" to learn of the sacking.

Procedural fairness would dictate that he should have had a chance to address perceived issues, wouldn't it?

He was just sacked on the basis of "confidential surveys"?

Without being told of the findings, or given a chance to explain himself???

PS I know less than nothing about anything to do with this - and I'm being lazy in asking here, rather than researching it for myself. But it doesn't sound healthy in any way at all.

6 hours ago, ZachMercer said:

Bet you he ends up at the roar shortly.

That was my first thought when I heard he got the sack

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Yes just heard on the ABC news that one of them was "shocked" and the other "devastated" to learn of the sacking.

Procedural fairness would dictate that he should have had a chance to address perceived issues, wouldn't it?

He was just sacked on the basis of "confidential surveys"?

Without being told of the findings, or given a chance to explain himself???

PS I know less than nothing about anything to do with this - and I'm being lazy in asking here, rather than researching it for myself. But it doesn't sound healthy in any way at all.

I don't know what the full story is. So far I have read that there is maybe 2 or 3 sides of the story? I don't know.

But to me this is sounding very sus, why hire some feminist group to conduct a survey for the Matildas? wasn't the PFA enough to go through in this case?

Something's fishy about this I agree. He'd have to have been accused of harassment of some kind right? Even if he was picking favorites over inform players as suggested, he's the coach and has ultimate decision. If coaches could be terminated over picking favorites then just about any coach since the dawn of time would have been fired.

On 19/01/2019 at 12:42 PM, wendybr said:

I think this article by Dominic Bossi sheds some more light on the "poor culture" situation.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-routine-review-spiralled-out-of-control-and-cost-stajcic-his-job-20190119-p50sf4.html

9 minutes ago, FCWanderers said:

I think this article by Dominic Bossi sheds some more light on the "poor culture" situation.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/how-routine-review-spiralled-out-of-control-and-cost-stajcic-his-job-20190119-p50sf4.html

Thank you!  :good:

Doesn't seem likely to be any sort of smooth transition to another coach.

13 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Thank you!  :good:

Doesn't seem likely to be any sort of smooth transition to another coach.

There never is a smooth transition, only rarely. Case in point the last few years at the Wanderers.

1 minute ago, FCWanderers said:

There never is a smooth transition, only rarely. Case in point the last few years at the Wanderers.

Yes! This one might be even worse though, given his past successes, and the fact that so many players seem loyal to him.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Yes! This one might be even worse though, given his past successes, and the fact that so many players seem loyal to him.

Hopefully the players within the national setup can put aside any personal issues they may have, with the decision and focus on the ultimate goal of winning the FIFA World Cup in 5 months. 

The national football team is not a club side, the players and coaches selected and appointed are just custodians of the team, for the brief period they are involved with the national team. Every time they put on the jersey and play in an international they have an opportunity to leave a legacy with their performances. They represent the millions who play, watch and love the game of football in Australia.

This upcoming Matildas squad has a rare opportunity to make a real impact at the next World Cup in France, it is in the players collective hands, more so than any coach, what type of legacy they will leave with their performances.

Edited by FCWanderers

Yeah they just need to move on quickly 

I like many love watch the woman probably more than the Socceroos these days! 

The whole situation seems very odd. Big claims made in that Bossi article yet he then states the FFA remain tight lipped on specifics.

It would be interesting to know what is meant by bullying and body shaming. 

As much as I hate to say it, they are professional athletes, Staj was and is an absolute **** but got the results.  There is a big difference between body shaming say in schools and body shaming professional athletes who you want to perform at the highest level unfortunately with the sofites we are breeding at the moment they do not see the distinction.  I am all for people being safe and happy in their work environment that is a given but when will we learn that players do not have to like their coach.  This review was undertaken by ourwatch a group who have no understanding of football and no understanding of sport, was there evidence of people being dropped due to poor fat folds, yes of course, was there evidence of leaving players out for poor performance, yes of course, was there evidence of omitting players with poor attitudes to training, yes of course, was there evidence of people having to do extras when they were performing below the others, yes of course - that is sport. Unfortunately we got the wrong agency to do the review, and now we will create a football environment like the cricket environment where we are all good guys and girls but not ruthless enough to win anything.  Sad but true.

Edited by scarcev

20 hours ago, FCWanderers said:

Situation appears similar to that impacting on Fornaroli's playing career at Heart. #skinfolds

FFA (principally Gallop) has made a biggie.

This won't end well

17 minutes ago, Taurus said:

FFA (principally Gallop) has made a biggie.

This won't end well

For Gallop? Is it because he did his usual over reaction to a survey?

Gallop has brought the game into disrepute.

My media sources suggest that the situation is becoming sordid & is likely to erupt