The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

Maybe they were guilty of believing their own publicity. After comfortable victories over relative minnows, some media outlets (of all kinds) went overboard in their praise. Once again several players went missing for most of the game when faced with quality opponents.

5 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Maybe they were guilty of believing their own publicity. After comfortable victories over relative minnows, some media outlets (of all kinds) went overboard in their praise. Once again several players went missing for most of the game when faced with quality opponents.

Poor quality coaching by Milicic was the chief contributor. 

Or were they thinking about their upcoming rescheduled W-league games. For example, Heartle$$ Women v Melb Vic Women moved to Sunday. No such consideration given our W-League team in Round 1 with Amy Harrison playing 2 days in a row with Lynn Williams and Denise O'Sullivan travelling back from International duty. F*** the W-League organisers.

I would love to know what the Chinese supporters were chanting. We were sitting right next to the away bays. Now to my untrained ear it sounded like “No more pizza”.....but that seems unlikely:pardon:
As for the game, the Chinese women were very unlucky not to win that. Clearly better for much of the game and certainly the hungrier team. The turnovers from the Matildas were painful. And there were a lot of times our defence sat back and let them regain possession or couldn’t get back in time for counter attacks. We looked gassed after 70 min. Anyway onwards and upwards.

Edited by Potkorok
3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Good analysis but I disagree with the comment about Emily Van Egmond. She starred against the lesser lights but had a shocker last night when put under pressure. Credit to her for the great goal but prior to that she was a passenger.

2 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Good analysis but I disagree with the comment about Emily Van Egmond. She starred against the lesser lights but had a shocker last night when put under pressure. Credit to her for the great goal but prior to that she was a passenger.

I'd put a question mark there too

3 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

At times it was like watching Borda,Pinitares and Dimas (except with boobs) with the side to side and back passing......:ninja:

Edited by sonar
6 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

This of course was happening in the last year of Stajic's tenure that there was a bit of downtrend happening

I feel that the team are still in this slump, doesn’t help when this is AM’s first attempt at management & first coaching position in women’s football.

6 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

I feel like the since Milicic we haven't really been great and just going through on the quality of individual players.

But as soon as we face teams that are of equal strength or in China’s case just matching our physicality & intensity even though you’d say that player for player we have the better team.

21 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

Very uninspiring to say the least.

20 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Poor quality coaching by Milicic was the chief contributor. 

21 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Maybe they were guilty of believing their own publicity. After comfortable victories over relative minnows, some media outlets (of all kinds) went overboard in their praise

It’s hard to disagree with this sort of criticism of the performance. They’ve got to be better if we want to have a decent crack at the Olympics. It’s fantastic that we are making so many inroads & getting to WC’s & olympics but will need to improve significantly if we want to do more than just participate.

On 14/02/2020 at 8:10 AM, Potkorok said:

I would love to know what the Chinese supporters were chanting. We were sitting right next to the away bays. Now to my untrained ear it sounded like “No more pizza”.....but that seems unlikely:pardon:

We were right near them as well, i thought it sounded like 'no more dim sum', which is slightly more likely :unknw:

Jokes aside they chanted in chinese and English,  good for them tbh. Our actives were pretty dire in comparison

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, sonar said:

Currently up 3-0 over Vietnam in Olympic Qualifier approaching HT.

Now 4-0 after 80 min. Scorers. Kerr/Lagarzo/ Van Egmond/ Polkinhorn

Make that 5-0      Kerr Penalty

Edited by sonar
  • 3 months later...
10 minutes ago, mack said:

Gigantic news, Japan has reportedly withdrawn it's WWC bid.

After the abysmal technical report from the Colombian bid that puts us in the front runner spot.

What's the bet the AFL mob will want Melb to host final........if it was me I'd say gagf and play it in Sydney.

2 hours ago, sonar said:

What's the bet the AFL mob will want Melb to host final........if it was me I'd say gagf and play it in Sydney.

I think the AwFL are now terrified but are distracted due to the Irishman who got Covid-19 at one of the Melbourne teams.

• mack locked this topic