Punters Corner

Guest ZipGunBop

Won last night on a combined bet of Suarez to score and Uruguay to win :)

Here's a tip i got - might seem obvious for some, might not for newbies

• Do multibets on team sports betting on the clear favourites - i recomend rugby union especially, also sports like basketball and indoor volleyball. Sports like football, baseball and individual sports are too risky as anything can happen (e.g. wigan beating man city in f.a. cup or djokovic pulling a hammy in a tennis match). By saying clear favourite i mean one team paying $1.50 when the other is paying $3.50, not one team paying $1.50 and the other paying $2.00

The other day I turned $15 into $177 doing this

• Do multibets on team sports betting on the clear favourites - i recomend rugby union especially, also sports like basketball and indoor volleyball. Sports like football, baseball and individual sports are too risky as anything can happen (e.g. wigan beating man city in f.a. cup or djokovic pulling a hammy in a tennis match). By saying clear favourite i mean one team paying $1.50 when the other is paying $3.50, not one team paying $1.50 and the other paying $2.00

Is this a thing? Like... I don't even watch rugby so I'm a bit wary of putting my money on it.

Multi gone, but <2.5 goals up. Not how i expected to win it, but that is the beauty of that bet.

Loading up on France.

Gonna take < 2.5 goals again. Think Italy will be pretty cagey & defensively solid, as per.

Costa Rica wont get many touches.

Wrong. Completely wrong.

Guest ZipGunBop

Not looking too good right now.

It was an out of the box performance by Richmond to an extent. Although they do have an ok record vs interstate teams at home so not entirely suprising. Like I said in my earlier post, nothing really jumped out at me this week in terms of straight value.

Is this a thing? Like... I don't even watch rugby so I'm a bit wary of putting my money on it.

the favourite wins way more often than most other sports imo

Not looking too good right now.

It was an out of the box performance by Richmond to an extent. Although they do have an ok record vs interstate teams at home so not entirely suprising. Like I said in my earlier post, nothing really jumped out at me this week in terms of straight value.

I find i can never find value in AFL. I have been burnt too many times trying to manufacture value by chasing lines & margins.

Horses today.. bet on those?

Guest ZipGunBop

Noway.

Maybe once or twice a year ill punt on races, and that's only if I'm at the track. Then it's more about the drinky poos. Haha.

lol my bad yes Germany not portugal (wtf was I thinking at 3am lol)

as u can tell im not a morning person :ninja:

thinking of attempting my first multi, Belgium, Brazil & Russia. yay or nay for those who are more experienced lol?

I try and stay away from multis in team sports. Too unpredictable.

Where I will use them to great effect is in things like tennis, where in the first and second round you can load up 8-10 legs of short priced favourites with relative ease.

You still won't get huge odds, usually around the 1.50/1.90 mark but I've had alot of joy with those.

In saying that ill probably be looking at one in the next couple of hours for the WC. With some more lopsided fixtures coming on match day 2, should be easier to find some value.

In finance speak, that's 50-90% return. That's absolutely brilliant, personally.

I have a friend who works at the TAB, and after her incessant talk of sports betting, I finally gave in. So... yeah.

Coming from a commerce background at uni where bonds and stocks give you very low returns, and they are very long term - sports betting seems to me like a potential goldmine. Short turnaround, high returns, just need to hedge bets on the unexpected occurring - and then you're sweet!

the favourite wins way more often than most other sports imo

Might do some stats on this :P

Guest ZipGunBop

Tough to pick IMO.

A flogging is very very possible, but I think with the way Brisbane are coming into this game, they will be up for the fight to an extent. They got beat by the Giants last week which is currently the biggest embarrassment to teams, followed by playing one of the best contested teams on their home patch.

By taking the line myself (+55.5) I think it was, I'm betting the Lions will keep tight with them, hopefully till at least end of the 3/4. Then hoping maybe the score doesn't blowout past 56. Ha.

Guest ZipGunBop

thinking of attempting my first multi, Belgium, Brazil & Russia. yay or nay for those who are more experienced lol?

Where I will use them to great effect is in things like tennis, where in the first and second round you can load up 8-10 legs of short priced favourites with relative ease.You still won't get huge odds, usually around the 1.50/1.90 mark but I've had alot of joy with those.

In saying that ill probably be looking at one in the next couple of hours for the WC. With some more lopsided fixtures coming on match day 2, should be easier to find some value.

In finance speak, that's 50-90% return. That's absolutely brilliant, personally.

I have a friend who works at the TAB, and after her incessant talk of sports betting, I finally gave in. So... yeah.

Coming from a commerce background at uni where bonds and stocks give you very low returns, and they are very long term - sports betting seems to me like a potential goldmine. Short turnaround, high returns, just need to hedge bets on the unexpected occurring - and then you're sweet!

Yes, you are right. It is in purely transactional value a high return, but the odds are still low as you compare it to your risk.

You may get 1.60 say, but in order to achieve it you place a 10 leg multi. (In this scenario)

So 10 results must go your way, run to script and avoid any hiccups.

So considering you need 100% accuracy 10 times in a row, that's 10 times you have to risk your wager to achive one pay out, in order to profit 60% of your initial investment.

I'm not huge on maths tho so could be a mistake in my thinking somewhere there.

Tough to pick IMO.

A flogging is very very possible, but I think with the way Brisbane are coming into this game, they will be up for the fight to an extent. They got beat by the Giants last week which is currently the biggest embarrassment to teams, followed by playing one of the best contested teams on their home patch.

By taking the line myself (+55.5) I think it was, I'm betting the Lions will keep tight with them, hopefully till at least end of the 3/4. Then hoping maybe the score doesn't blowout past 56. Ha.

How bout $1.88 for under 146.5 total points. Brisbane wont score many, probably 50 at most. That leave bout 100 points for Freo. They're recent contests have been on the unders side:

R12, 2013, Fremantle 12.14 (86) d Brisbane Lions 6.10 (46) at Patersons Stadium

R3, 2012, Fremantle 8.16 (64) d Brisbane Lions 5.5 (35) at Patersons Stadium

R14, 2011, Fremantle 12.16 (88) d Brisbane Lions 10.5 (65) at Patersons Stadium

R1, 2011, Fremantle 13.16 (94) d Brisbane Lions 14.8 (92) at the Gabba

R7, 2010, Fremantle 15.23 (113) d Brisbane Lions 15.10 (100) at the Gabba

might take this bet instead.

Edited by WestGrub
Guest ZipGunBop

Yeah that's pretty astute.

I like it.

Edit- Now I think about it more tho, you're getting pretty much the same odds at the line..

If Freo come out and 120 and lions still get 65 you lose. The line wins.

In your 100 vs 50 points scenario it still wins as well.

Where I will use them to great effect is in things like tennis, where in the first and second round you can load up 8-10 legs of short priced favourites with relative ease.You still won't get huge odds, usually around the 1.50/1.90 mark but I've had alot of joy with those.

Yes, you are right. It is in purely transactional value a high return, but the odds are still low as you compare it to your risk.

You may get 1.60 say, but in order to achieve it you place a 10 leg multi. (In this scenario)

So 10 results must go your way, run to script and avoid any hiccups.

So considering you need 100% accuracy 10 times in a row, that's 10 times you have to risk your wager to achive one pay out, in order to profit 60% of your initial investment.

I'm not huge on maths tho so could be a mistake in my thinking somewhere there.

That's true, and I only recently got into this so I'm not sure how they come up with the odds - but for a noob like me right now, I'd try and limit the number of games you'd put in a multi. Just because of sheer probability, as you said.

The way I go about it is very... Commerce-y and that's I guess what happens when you study Commerce for a year or so. A 5% is amazing for a bond, or capital gain or whatever - and that's long term. If someone has a bit of money on Argentina beating Iran tomorrow, and that's paying 1.14, that's 14% return in 90 minutes.

I would be wary of ten game multis in say... football, for the same reason I don't like putting bets on correct scores because a defender slips and lets the attacker through on goal - there's your correct score bet gone.

But say, in first round Wimbledon where you need to win three sets? I'd say that's value. Well, more value than a ten game football multi.