A-League Season 2014/15 Draw Released

Don't know why anyone is surprised, even if we had not made the ACL final, the fixtures would be dreadful, next seasons ACL, plus Asian cup in between always meant more midweek matches.

The next 2 matches that will be rescheduled will be during midweek as there is no other real time to play them

This is why it would have been great if the season started abit earlier!

****, the fixtures we'll be facing will not be pretty in terms of scheduling!! Do we think this will mean more midweek matches? Or is there no real other time to play them?

It's a luxury problem to have, midweek games come with the territory. I am looking at the calendar now. The WSW will play six games in February, six games in March, six games in April. In addition, the two games that have to be re-scheduled because of Morocco will need to be squeezed in somewhere, either before Morocco and/or after the Asia Cup. May will be really tasty though:

• First weekend: HAL elimination finals
  • Midweek: ACL
  • Second weekend: HAL semis
  • Third weekend: Grand Final
  • Midweek three days later: ACL
  • Midweek a week later: ACL

I for my part will be really happy if we end up third after Round 27 and get to play a qualifier for the ACL in 2016. Considering the schedule, both the premiership and the GF seem to be beyond reach.

serious post

but does anyone think that maybe if we had a home game already we would be going better in all our away matches? think about it

we have a home game, we build momentum and then our players perform better and we have more chance to win

while right now all we have is a bunch of ridiculous away matches which make it extremely difficult to build any momentum(especially the insane away matches with wellington and perth back to back)

i am not blaming the schedule for that loss however if we had just one home match within the first 6 or however many rounds then things would be easier

one home game can make such a difference

No I don't think so, we haven't really had the chance for key players to get time in the legs. If we had home games instead of away games I'd say there is even more pressure to get results, at least now we can get ourselves into form so when we finally have a home game we will be bang on form!

When you look at our pre-season we had 5 games to get time into players legs and 4 competitive ACL matches where the players had to freshen up rather than train through like a normal pre-season.  Additionally players that weren't in the ACL only had 5 games that they had to share with the rest of the squad and Adeleke and Ruka only had a run with the NYL as far as I know.  The whole squad in my view is a fair bit behind in fitness compared to last season so its not surprising that they aren't running out games.

Edited by Flytox

I don't follow - how can training for, and actually playing, a couple of competitive games make the team less match fit? I'm not totally discounting the logic there, but my cider addled brain can't make the dots connect at this time.

Anyway, there's no need for excuses - sometimes our team is just poor, but unlike season one and in the ACL the goddess of luck doesn't necessarily look our way.

i dont know imo a home game and build momentum and without one we just have a bunch of away matches and a lot of traveling and no solid routine which is unhelpful imo

Probably the most criitcal factor of the lot. We really are going to have to be strong at home this season, but then again, what side ever does well if they are playing poorly at home?

I don't follow - how can training for, and actually playing, a couple of competitive games make the team less match fit? I'm not totally discounting the logic there, but my cider addled brain can't make the dots connect at this time.

Anyway, there's no need for excuses - sometimes our team is just poor, but unlike season one and in the ACL the goddess of luck doesn't necessarily look our way.

It matters a lot in the end:

- In a preseason, you pretty much are working on building up your fitness to play through the entire season, players who play in practice matches only get 45-60mins max over the 18-23 players in your squad which reduce the amount of soreness they face after the match meaning in preseason they can pretty much go straight back into training and working up fitness. You do this over the period of 4-7 weeks and you get into a pretty good rhythm. If it all works out by the time the season starts you only need a few weeks in the league to be firing for 90 minutes in the league.

- You compare it to us where we have pretty much been preparing 11 players to be ready for big matches where they have to play 90 minutes in our preseason. It means that the squad is really unbalanced where some are ready to play and others aren't ready for the season (Ruka, Romeo, Saba, Adeleke, Spira, Juric (to a degree, first 90mins), Trifiro, (Fofanah, jashua, perkatis to a degree too) it really means the squad are in different readiness in preparation of the season.

- You've got to take into account all the travel time, recovery days (soreness can last up to 48hrs), the interruption to training schedules and compare it to a team that don't have these distractions to see how difficult our preseason has been and its interruption compared to other teams

- Many of our ACL eleven (NTS, Mullen, Golec, Bridge, Haliti, La Rocca, Poljak) will somehow need an mini off season and mini preseason in the middle of the season to somehow be ready for the second half of the season and not burn out by the second half of the season. I guess the Asian Cup will be helpful to us in this regard so will be interesting to see how Popa uses the time to refresh the squad.

****, the fixtures we'll be facing will not be pretty in terms of scheduling!! Do we think this will mean more midweek matches? Or is there no real other time to play them?

It's a luxury problem to have, midweek games come with the territory. I am looking at the calendar now. The WSW will play six games in February, six games in March, six games in April. In addition, the two games that have to be re-scheduled because of Morocco will need to be squeezed in somewhere, either before Morocco and/or after the Asia Cup. May will be really tasty though:

• First weekend: HAL elimination finals
  • Midweek: ACL
  • Second weekend: HAL semis
  • Third weekend: Grand Final
  • Midweek three days later: ACL
  • Midweek a week later: ACL

I for my part will be really happy if we end up third after Round 27 and get to play a qualifier for the ACL in 2016. Considering the schedule, both the premiership and the GF seem to be beyond reach.

Out of curiosity, can you get divorce papers online these days ?

It matters a lot in the end:

- In a preseason, you pretty much are working on building up your fitness to play through the entire season, players who play in practice matches only get 45-60mins max over the 18-23 players in your squad which reduce the amount of soreness they face after the match meaning in preseason they can pretty much go straight back into training and working up fitness. You do this over the period of 4-7 weeks and you get into a pretty good rhythm. If it all works out by the time the season starts you only need a few weeks in the league to be firing for 90 minutes in the league.

- You compare it to us where we have pretty much been preparing 11 players to be ready for big matches where they have to play 90 minutes in our preseason. It means that the squad is really unbalanced where some are ready to play and others aren't ready for the season (Ruka, Romeo, Saba, Adeleke, Spira, Juric (to a degree, first 90mins), Trifiro, (Fofanah, jashua, perkatis to a degree too) it really means the squad are in different readiness in preparation of the season.

- You've got to take into account all the travel time, recovery days (soreness can last up to 48hrs), the interruption to training schedules and compare it to a team that don't have these distractions to see how difficult our preseason has been and its interruption compared to other teams

- Many of our ACL eleven (NTS, Mullen, Golec, Bridge, Haliti, La Rocca, Poljak) will somehow need an mini off season and mini preseason in the middle of the season to somehow be ready for the second half of the season and not burn out by the second half of the season. I guess the Asian Cup will be helpful to us in this regard so will be interesting to see how Popa uses the time to refresh the squad.

Very well put Prydz.

The fact that Popa had the guys up for ACL games and winning them when others were kicking back in off season speaks volumes enough.

To then balance that with the rest of the squad doing normal pre-season, incoming new squad members with varying degrees of fitness and stop starting the whole shebang with flights and that's just the physical aspect ...... mentally too would be an immense challenge.

Well its an amazing effort and no small wonder we're struggling really.

That's not using it as an excuse though because we're just talking internally about the challenges of it all.

Outwardly we were outplayed by Melbourne, let slip the derby and played like Al Hilal against Wellington.

That's football......... and I'd take it every year like this too, what a ride and we've only just begun.

I'm sensing a bit of displeasure with our schedule.

Let's all keep in mind that the only reason we are playing midweek games is because we just owned the rest of Asia.

Like Popa has said, the schedule is a headache, but it's a good headache. A headache other teams would love to have.

On the other hand, issues like us playing 5:30pmADT on a Friday are outrageous and should be complained about.

What games will definitely be moved?

Melb City - Sat Dec 13th (Home) and probably Brisbane - Fri Dec 19th (away).

we need a new magnet for sure now!

Any word on the Brisbane game ?

Nothing confirmed as of yet. I would imagine it would get postponed though. If we beat Cruz then we play RM and that would be a mid week game ruling out possibility of playing this game. If we lose to Cruz we could make the game at SunCorpse but they would prefer a decent time ahead to call a postponement so I am expecting it to be postponed.

On another note there are a few rumours that the whole World Club Tournanment may be cancelled altogther (I stress I have seen nothing concrete) but Morocco is struggling to host the ACN early next year and the same reasons for that are being mooted for them possibly not being able to fufill their committments for the World Club Tourny. If this is indeed the case it would be too late to reschdule so it would probably just be canned for this year.  Hope I am way off the mark here obviously.

Edited by beatsurrender

Canned? I'm sure they can just reschedule it to a bit later on in the season - maybe February or March or something. It'd be a real shame for it to be cancelled. Just get a quick bidding process now and do some reimbursements for those who already bought tickets, they'll always turn a profit anyway I guess...

I don't know what possible commitment issues there would be, Morocco were able to host it last year...

Ebola virus limiting travel to/from Africa and/or risk of infection.

Ebola's more of an issue for the Africa Cup of Nations because countries that are directly affected could qualify and bring their fans. For the CWC the only African team is from Algeria, which hasn't had any cases of Ebola. I'm sure the CWC will go ahead.

As for the effect on our draw, if we lose against Cruz Azul we play the 5th place playoff as the curtain raiser for one of the semis on the 17th. If we beat Cruz Azul we'll definitely have a game on the 20th, regardless of the result aginst Real.

At least the Roar have alerted their fans..

Our club is poor/very late in informing us of schedule changes.

http://www.brisbaneroar.com.au/article/wsw-fixture-to-be-changed-details-tbc/xxilnelorfih1c3kr4mdj03bk

I agree luckily I check this forum ..

would have been very pissed off if I had accommodation and flights already booked