The History Thread

We found our missing submarine today, the AE1 - always presumed missing off PNG in 1914 but now it's confirmed.

A submarine will still be regarded as being on patrol if it goes missing until we know what happened, so a 103 year patrol comes to an end.

Let the record show we never stopped looking either, I believe plans are in place to honour the memory of AE1 and AE2 (an amazing story too) with the new generation of submarines to be built, potentially being called the Stoker Class after Captain Henry Stoker.

• 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, marron said:

Also, for carts, coaches and drays to get down the other side they'd cut down a tree and tie it to the back as a brake. 

Imagine how gutted you would  be to go to all that effort to make the first crossing of the Blue Mountains, only to find a place / town as shitty as Lithgow on the other side.

Edited by Erimus

Whats with the nostalgia and history thread anyway..when does nostalgia become history, and is nostalgia something you can remember only, as in your childhood memories?

I posted something about the 1966 world cup the other day, but I wasn't born then, so is that nostalgia or history? Or perhaps we should have a combined History and Nostalgia thread.!!!! I just DON'T know!!! :shok:

Edited by Erimus
2 hours ago, marron said:

The most amazing part is 30 dudes 6 months.

About that many have been resurfacing the road through blackheath, started about that long ago  and they're still going. 

It's difficult to comprehend isn't it. Mind you, a bunch of convicts working dawn to dusk .....

Nah, still incomprehensible!

4 hours ago, Erimus said:

Imagine how gutted you would  be to go to all that effort to make the first crossing of the Blue Mountains, only to find a place / town as shitty as Lithgow on the other side.

Could've been worse - at least it wasn't Middlesbrough! 

3 hours ago, Erimus said:

Whats with the nostalgia and history thread anyway..when does nostalgia become history, and is nostalgia something you can remember only, as in your childhood memories?

I posted something about the 1966 world cup the other day, but I wasn't born then, so is that nostalgia or history? Or perhaps we should have a combined History and Nostalgia thread.!!!! I just DON'T know!!! :shok:

BlindElasticDoctorfish-small.gif

3 minutes ago, marron said:

There is the perfect image of the blast furnace at lithgow in the snow but it's on facebook so I can't post it.

I actually like Lithgow lol I did a walk around the blast furnace park there a few years ago. I grew up climbing and playing on old disused industrial heritage like that, it was our playgrounds...so like places like that...

Edited by Erimus

Lovely mate!

Yeah lithgow's alright, I like it. Main drag has lots of pubs. I like the old houses.

I did that too, with the blast furnace, but it was because I got stuck there for two hours on a Sunday arvo with no money. :lol:

Edited by marron
3 minutes ago, marron said:

Lovely mate!

Yeah lithgow's alright, I like it. Main drag has lots of pubs. I like the old houses.

I did that too, with the blast furnace, but it was because I got stuck there for two hours on a Sunday arvo with no money. :lol:

When I went there the place was in flood, as you can see. But there were also $20 notes blowing around in the wind!

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was the 200th aniversary of the Peterloo massacre, theres one from the pages of GCSE History year 10.

If you want to know a little of what that was about watch tge Regency Blackadder about rotten boroughs and the corn laws. For example by the early 1800 Manchester had already become a sizeable city, but had no representative MP in Parliament. Old villages that were closed down to be incorportated in to wealthy landowners land still returned 1 or even 2 MP's even if only 1 person registered to vote...and that would be the landowner lol

That wasnt the whole reason, but one of the causes.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...