Romeo Castelen

mack

Like I said tonight's game thread, 
you don't make 10 appearances for the Netherlands (and probably deserved a lot more except injury stopped that) and be an average player.

all he needs is some games under his belt and stay injury free and he can be one of our best players week in week out.

First time I can remember him shooting the ***** en ball since his epic CWC goal.

He should do it more.

It really has looked like he hasn't wanted to back himself to shoot or has been instructed not to.

Here's hoping either way the shackles are off.

First time I can remember him shooting the ***** en ball since his epic CWC goal.

He should do it more.

It really has looked like he hasn't wanted to back himself to shoot or has been instructed not to.

I think he's just a selfless player. Looks for the better option until we're up by enough to take a risk or two.

He should do it more.

I think he's just a selfless player. Looks for the better option until we're up by enough to take a risk or two.

Look at Bulut's first goal. Romeo was in the six yard box and had every right to shoot. Sets up an easier tap in instead.

He should do it more.

Look at Bulut's first goal. Romeo was in the six yard box and had every right to shoot. Sets up an easier tap in instead.

Are you agreeing with me? wasn't bulut's first goal when we were 1-1?

I rate him so much more than Hersi....and I liked Hersi.

why is it that everyone only now realises how good he is

I thought after his performance in like Round 2 or 3 when he was zipping past players with absolute ease, we'd be all up in arms shouting how good he is

So excited by this. When he was at Feyenoord I held him in massive regard, him and a little left-pegger called Robben were coming through to be the next Dutch stars. Bloody injury cost the Oranje a superstar.

Ask FCB about my confidence re: this feller. I've been spruiking him since I heard he was coming. In fact, I was shaking and calling my brother a liar when he told me we'd signed some bloke called Kastallan or Casterlin or something. He was seriously a massive prospect for Holland back in the day and that class just doesn't disappear.

By the way, those that took the punt on getting Saba jerseys before seeing him pull on the red and black aren't as happy as I am with my pre-season purchases:

3TvCzc2m.jpeg

When Robben arrived at Bayern he was mocked because he was so injury prone. A few years later he is considered absolute world class, and plays accordingly. Consistently. It took him a while to get there, to reach a certain fitness level. It took Heynckes and Guardiola to help him becoming a more complete football player.

In his early days Romeo was rated as highly as Robben, but injuries got in the way. Now we are seeing not just his individual class but how his class lifts the team. If he stays fit he'll be a revelation for us. He has been a joy to watch all season.

I rate him so much more than Hersi....and I liked Hersi.

why is it that everyone only now realises how good he is

I thought after his performance in like Round 2 or 3 when he was zipping past players with absolute ease, we'd be all up in arms shouting how good he is

So excited by this. When he was at Feyenoord I held him in massive regard, him and a little left-pegger called Robben were coming through to be the next Dutch stars. Bloody injury cost the Oranje a superstar.

Ask FCB about my confidence re: this feller. I've been spruiking him since I heard he was coming. In fact, I was shaking and calling my brother a liar when he told me we'd signed some bloke called Kastallan or Casterlin or something. He was seriously a massive prospect for Holland back in the day and that class just doesn't disappear.

By the way, those that took the punt on getting Saba jerseys before seeing him pull on the red and black aren't as happy as I am with my pre-season purchases:

3TvCzc2m.jpeg

When Robben arrived at Bayern he was mocked because he was so injury prone. A few years later he is considered absolute world class, and plays accordingly. Consistently. It took him a while to get there, to reach a certain fitness level. It took Heynckes and Guardiola to help him becoming a more complete football player.

In his early days Romeo was rated as highly as Robben, but injuries got in the way. Now we are seeing not just his individual class but how his class lifts the team. If he stays fit he'll be a revelation for us. He has been a joy to watch all season.

plus he passes the ball and is not a world class diver :P

• 1 month later...

Football connection in national tragedy that defined the life of Western Sydney star Romeo Castelen

• CARLY ADNO
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • MAY 04, 2015 12:00AM

•  

229797-0f129c24-f14b-11e4-845d-5939ce041

Romeo Castelen lost his mother and sister in the 1989 Surinam Airways Flight 764. Picture: Brett Costello

HE was just six years old, but Romeo Castelen remembers the day with horrible clarity.

The day his mother and sister were coming back home to Suriname after a holiday in Holland.

“They arrived home, but not in the way everyone was hoping,†he says now.

June 7, 1989. Castelen’s mother, Juliette, along with his older sister Olivia, were on Surinam Airways Flight 764 that crashed as it approached Paramaribo, killing 176 of the 187 on board.

It was a national tragedy and, for Castelen and his family, a personal one that would go on to define the rest of their lives. Many years later Castelen would also uncover the tragic football link to the crash.

“It was a big tragedy for the family and also for the country — it had never happened before,†Castelen said.

229825-a26f2524-f177-11e4-9134-cf9443e7f

Romeo Castelen playing against FC Seoul. Picture: Mark Evans

“It’s a part of my history, the part that also built me as a person. I have a great family and a lot of sisters and brothers who really tried to take the mother role to help me out and be there for me. We have a big family — I’m the youngest of 10 children.

“When something like this happens — out of nothing, no one could see it coming — it was a very impacting thing on my life and in our family. But we stuck together and took care of each other.â€

Castelen was conscious of his loss, but took his father’s advice not to question why such a tragedy occurred and simply accepted that things happen for a reason.

He wanted to live a life that his mother and sister would be proud of and, at the age of nine, moved to Holland with two of his sisters, first to further his education and then to pursue his football career. Suriname, a small country in South America bordered by French Guiana, Guyana and Brazil, is a former Dutch colony that enjoys a strong bond with Holland.

It’s only in the last few years that Castelen has begun researching the crash.

A group of 15 Surinamese footballers playing professionally in the Netherlands were among the dead. They had formed an exhibition team, known as the Colourful 11, and were travelling from Amsterdam to Suriname to play in a charity match.

Dutch legends Ruud Gullit and Frank Rijkaard were meant to be on the flight, while former internationals Stanley Menzo and Hennie Meijer had caught an earlier one.

“These big players should have been on that plane and who knows why they weren’t. Every one has his time and we never know when the time will be. It was not their time, thank god they were not on there, and they are now big icons in Dutch football and Suriname history.

“But a lot of football players were on that plane and now I’m a professional footballer. Who knows what the link is? It was a very talented group and a big loss for the Suriname community and also for the Dutch community, because the players were playing in Holland for big teams and had big careers ahead of them.

“It was a big tragedy for soccer in Suriname and Holland.â€

While the tragedy formed his backbone, Castelen talks about his life with warmth and positivity and his mum and sister, as well as his dad, are never far from his thoughts.

“I have the feeling they are watching me and they would be sad if I don’t do things properly,†he said.

“I feel blessed. Even though it was a big tragedy, it formed me as a person.

“I’m a very happy person, I’m not a sad person. These things happen, but it’s life — you have to deal with it and make the best of it.â€

Castelen’s football career has taken him from Holland to Germany, and Russia to Australia. The 32-year-old admits he never thought he would land up in Western Sydney, but when he was named by his peers as the players’ player of the year at the Wanderers Medal last week, he felt a sense of completion.

“I just hope we have a better season next season,†he said.

“I never thought I’d play here, and that just shows you the beauty of life. In life you cannot plan, you can have a goal, but that can bend and maybe you end up in Australia.â€

• 7 months later...
Guest mickisnot

I'm still not blown away by Romeo.

It was a pleasure last night to watch him do less with the ball. So much more valuable for the team when he finds some space on the wing and looks to cut the ball back in.

If he can't beat the man, his initial acceleration is usually enough to find an angle where he can slot the ball back in.

It will be interesting to see how other teams attempt to contain him if he continues to play like last night. A lot of space will be created in the middle if they want to throw an extra man at him.

The hype around him is a positive one.

** LATE ADDITION TO THE WANDERERS AUCTION, TO RAISE FUNDS FOR NATO & KELLY'S FAMILY **

Is Castelen your favourite player?

Know someone whose favourite player is Castelen, and you haven't got them a Christmas prezzie yet?

Then be sure to check out http://wanderersauctions.com.au/ (help out some Wanderers family - http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/berthaly-family-appeal/13qgcsr1oi3pu1iag74moxorud)  -  and make a bid on his signed boots!

TyAFT3a.png

Romeo-Castelen-Signed-Boots.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I feel pretty bad for Castelen after last night, he must be kicking himself. He had one really golden opportunity which he mishandled...you could see the frustration when he took the shot soon after from way out the box lol.

Still probably my favourite players on the team

Yeah lol. He was really pissed when he got subbed off though...I had a good view of him and he did not look like a happy camper when he sat down.

I think he could've stayed on though, he surely would've gotten lucky eventually :P

Edited by Valter43