Club Lack Of Communication & Information

I've seen numerous people talking about how the club is 'lacking communication' or in giving information to members.

So here is your thread to put forward real examples of how you see 'communication failures' and/or how you think the club can improve this.

Personally I don't have any major issues with the club communication and information.

They have every social media platform under the sun pretty much covered in some way, the new FFA controlled websites (and wanderland.com.au) are improvements over previous efforts, the club is open to phone calls and emails, we have had numerous member meeting/forums, and here they have often come to post information for people asking questions, and through this sub-section of the site we can bring things to their attention.

These have all been done on what is a globally minuscule amount of revenue & profit, and even in Australia, small compared to the likes of the AFL & NRL clubs.

So I am curious as to exactly how people see a lack of communication, and what aspects that could be improved. If we come up with meaningful potential improvements I will ensure they get passed on to the club.

- Could have put out an email to members to tell them about the membership renewal problems that they were facing and given a bit more information. I know there was a FAQ but those first few weeks was a cluster****

- I think we were told that we were having a members forum this preseason but haven't heard anything

- Club never told us about pre season Asia tour though I don't see that as much as a problem

- Never heard too much about AFC tickets till two weeks before the game when tickets went on sale

The communication is generally fine (personally I have no issues, once Shaun even replied to an email I sent him on a Saturday night before a public holiday within minutes of me emailing him) but I think what bothers people is the slow responses or no responses at all to emails from the membership team. Don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with the level of communication we've got, but a lot of people would be irritated if it takes weeks to reply to an email in an age where everything happens in a second.

That's not to say that people are not lazy and shouldn't be blamed for not being proactive themselves, but the time it takes to get in touch could be improved though.

The communication is generally fine (personally I have no issues, once Shaun even replied to an email I sent him on a Saturday night before a public holiday within minutes of me emailing him) but I think what bothers people is the slow responses or no responses at all to emails from the membership team. Don't get me wrong, I'm satisfied with the level of communication we've got, but a lot of people would be irritated if it takes weeks to reply to an email in an age where everything happens in a second.

That's not to say that people are not lazy and shouldn't be blamed for not being proactive themselves, but the time it takes to get in touch could be improved though.

I think the problem was that they had received 2 email queries from 5-10k members having problems with membership/sign-up problems. Had they sent out a mass email "we will get to as many emails as we can over the next week, if you haven't heard from us within 10 days, call the membership team to sort out there problem" instead people heard nothing to multiple emails and had no idea what to do, just a small thing that they could have done via email or text that could have improved the situation.

I've had no real issues.

However, I requested a callback from the membership team one day, and received a call a week or two later.

'Headquarters' is a bit of a misnomer, I think these guys have more resources in sending out scam mails than our club has in running memberships

6a00d8341c824e53ef00e54f20d8bd8833-640wi

Personally, whenever I have contacted them directly about any issue ive had prompt replies, that's been by phone, email and twatter.

I don't like that we get an email 2 hours (or less) before a ticketing presale goes on sale.

We should be getting an email a number of days beforehand that states that "more info is coming, but expect tickets to go on sale on X date"

Instead we get a billion enquiries here and on social media of "when do tickets go on sale?"

Just keep us in the loop. The club is very quick in sending out a mass email to all members when the RBB had sanctions put on it, but they can't keep members informed about tickets going on sale?

And that database restriction of unique emails per member was a disaster. Surely they knew this beforehand and could have warned people weeks in advance? Its also a stupid restriction imo.

I've today spent 4 hours in the office & its surrounds working on the relocation & storage of numerous pallets of new merchandise that have just arrived from Nike.

I can honestly report that most aspects of our operation are run with minimal staffing levels.

The merchandise component has 1 (one) paid staff member, who is expected to achieve her KPA's with little or no assistance from other areas of our operation.

Volunteers have been used extensively in our initial 2 years, however, now that we've become a privately owned entity, I can see that variations to the business model shall be required.

I've today spent 4 hours in the office & its surrounds working on the relocation & storage of numerous pallets of new merchandise that have just arrived from Nike.

I can honestly report that most aspects of our operation are run with minimal staffing levels.

The merchandise component has 1 (one) paid staff member, who is expected to achieve her KPA's with little or no assistance from other areas of our operation.

Volunteers have been used extensively in our initial 2 years, however, now that we've become a privately owned entity, I can see that variations to the business model shall be required.

Hopefully the business model does change, rather than relying on "volunteers".

Edited by 102megan

Do you know if they need any sales reps?  :ninja:  :ninja:

If the club is running low on staff, why don't they hire more?? It seems like they're always running low on staff.

Compared to other clubs in the HAL, we've got a good number of members to get revenue from, as well as the merch we buy, and our stadium always near to full capacity...

If it was the Mariners/Wellington with staffing issues, I can surely understand.

I've heard some rather negative stories in regards to the club and it's new direction of trying to attract staff for particular parts of the club to work pro-bono which has been a move away from paying/hiring the best especially since it impacts the way our players are looked after with injury. To be honest, to hear that the admin side of the club is working off the bare minimum of staff is no surprise to me, even though they have been quite prompt whenever I have emailed them.

I don't like that we get an email 2 hours (or less) before a ticketing presale goes on sale.We should be getting an email a number of days beforehand that states that "more info is coming, but expect tickets to go on sale on X date"Instead we get a billion enquiries here and on social media of "when do tickets go on sale?"Just keep us in the loop. The club is very quick in sending out a mass email to all members when the RBB had sanctions put on it, but they can't keep members informed about tickets going on sale?And that database restriction of unique emails per member was a disaster. Surely they knew this beforehand and could have warned people weeks in advance? Its also a stupid restriction imo.

what I was trying to say, just worded better!

If the club is running low on staff, why don't they hire more?? It seems like they're always running low on staff.

Compared to other clubs in the HAL, we've got a good number of members to get revenue from, as well as the merch we buy, and our stadium always near to full capacity...

If it was the Mariners/Wellington with staffing issues, I can surely understand.

They may be numerous reasons for the approach our club has taken, but these are my views on some of the issues it confronts. 

Our club seems to take the view, rightly or wrongly, that our members may have an aversion to paying a few $$$ more for memberships.

Active support memberships at other clubs such as Perth & Glory are $50+ dearer than ours.

The same rational applies to the premium seating prices at Pirtek, in comparison to other venues such as Allianz.

If our club were to charge $20 more for each membership, that alone would generate approx. $300k.

Additional revenue of this nature, would allow a mix of permanent staff & contracted staff to be employed at times of peak demand. Having said that, office space at Rooty Hill is extremely limited, to say the least. A relocation of some office functions may be unavoidable in the near future.  

Whilst WSW are a merchandising phenomenon, the retail market place is extremely competitive & as such, our club works off tight margins. If a greater percentage of the jersey sales were made directly through the club & or, an extra $5 - $10 was added per jersey, this would produce $100k+ additional revenue per annum. We all know how price sensative & fickle, retail consumers can be.  

I believe the WSW administration model established by FFA was geared towards maintaining costs. The greater than anticipated revenue streams from Sponsorship, Memberships & Merchandise sales, has seen our club achieve reasonable levels of fiscal performance in its formative years. 

Season 2014/15 which includes our initial foray into the final stages of the ACL (give us the cup already), maybe a break through year in terms of the financial performance of our club.

It shall be interesting to see how the clubs new ownership group reacts, should that scenario occur.    

I like the club has used volunteers could that can come with any in leverage in time (what do you think having volunteered taurus) as long as their is professionals where professionals are needed. Unfortunately lederer has bad form in this regard making sausages.

I want votes ultimately.

The more they need us the better.

Club are currently seeking responsible peeps who can man / woman the merchandise outlets at home games, from approx 2 hours prior to game until after its completion.

Role would probably best suit members who don't wish to watch any football.

I politely declined the invite, as I value my matchday experience, way too much. :drinks:

The more they need us the better.

Club are currently seeking responsible peeps who can man / woman the merchandise outlets at home games, from approx 2 hours prior to game until after its completion.

Role would probably best suit members who don't wish to watch any football.

I politely declined the invite, as I value my matchday experience, way too much. :drinks:

If they stuck the merch in 53 where no one is anyway no one would miss anyway. they could bring those on the waiting list maybe.

its hard ask to miss the game.

FYI the person who sends out the emails and posts on social media isn't necessarily the person who is organising all the tickets or merchandise or whatever else.

To get an email or post on to social media out they need to (a) actually have the information and (b) know it is 100% correct.

I'd rather information that is a little late but right than information that is early and wrong.

FYI the person who sends out the emails and posts on social media isn't necessarily the person who is organising all the tickets or merchandise or whatever else.

To get an email or post on to social media out they need to (a) actually have the information and (b) know it is 100% correct.

I'd rather information that is a little late but right than information that is early and wrong.

But on this point - we're still getting information late AND inaccurate.

Example One:

I'm still fuming that after the information was given out that Ladies fit jerseys would be available in the HOME and AWAY strip, that it was only released in the HOME strip.

I would've preferred the club to stay vague, rather than to specify that the HOME and AWAY jerseys WOULD be available in Ladies sizings - and to be bitterly disappointed.

Example Two:

On more than one occasion, the dates/ day listed in emails from WSW, for Wanderers matches, are wrong.  Surely it's not that hard to look at a calendar, to see what day a certain date falls on??

But on this point - we're still getting information late AND inaccurate.

Example One:

I'm still fuming that after the information was given out that Ladies fit jerseys would be available in the HOME and AWAY strip, that it was only released in the HOME strip.

I would've preferred the club to stay vague, rather than to specify that the HOME and AWAY jerseys WOULD be available in Ladies sizings - and to be bitterly disappointed.

Example Two:

On more than one occasion, the dates/ day listed in emails from WSW, for Wanderers matches, are wrong.  Surely it's not that hard to look at a calendar, to see what day a certain date falls on??

I just mean general stuff like ticket sales, signings etc. Sometimes the club would know stuff but they have to wait for approval before they can officially announce it.

The whole saying one and doing the other is definitely a gear grinder though.

I really want the new away strip :(