Wanderers Into ACL Semi-Final On Away Goals!

Was just reading the 442 forums (I know, kill me) and the amount of people who thought the Guangzhou 'keeper should have been sent off after the challenge against of Bridge, is too damn high!

Brenton Speed included, it seems as is everyone has this idea of 'last man' when looking at the offence. The law states nothing about 'last man' and refers only to 'an obvious goal-scoring opportunity'. Bridge had knocked the ball in front, and then the 'keeper committed the foul. Had it had been the other way around, then yes, a send off, but as it stood the referee was 100% correct.

Similar with the 'pass back' law too, also says nothing about 'passing the ball backwards... what if the 'keeper is in front of the defending player and it's passed to him? (end rant).

I disagree mate.

If Bridge didn't get fouled, there was an obvious goal scoring opportunity presenting itself. All he had to do was tap the ball into an empty net from 2 yards. The cover defenders got there to clear in the end, but Bridge was in behind them and in an obvious position to score if not for being fouled.

I'm not bagging the ref, because he was absolutely brilliant. But I think he got the colour of that card wrong.

Pretty much. Bridge could have finished off his chip if he wasn't fouled.

People are looking at it this way, if bridge wasn't tripped, would he get to the ball first? (Eventual tap in) or do the 2 GUANGZHOU players get there first?

That was my thought. If there is doubt you cannot send him off. :)

But, it's better to debate these things knowing we're in the F**KING SEMI FINALS OF THE ACL!!!!!

Popa relieved and proud after epic clash

Thursday, 28 August 2014

-

Michael Huguenin
Western Sydney Wanderers coach Tony Popovic conceded he was nervous throughout his side's AFC Champions League (ACL) quarter-final second leg, but was proud of his exhausted side after their epic performance.
The Wanderers lost 2-1 to last year's ACL champions Guangzhou Evergrande in China on Wednesday night but advanced on the away goals rule, having won their home leg in Sydney 1-0 last week.

After Western Sydney goalkeeper Ante Covic saved a first-half penalty, Tomi Juric gave the visitors the lead from the spot after the break, only for Evergrande to storm home.

But despite conceding twice, Popovic's men denied their hosts the crucial third goal, which would have seen Evergrande progress, and the Wanderers became just the second A-League club to reach the final four of the ACL.

"I wasn't thinking about the next round even when the score was 1-1 tonight," Popovic told the Asian Football Confederation's (AFC) website.

"I was very nervous during the entire match especially when they kept pressing us. My heart was about to jump out.

"But although Evergrande dominated the game, I am still very happy that we qualified."

Alessandro Diamanti struck for Evergrande soon after Juric's goal to give the three-time Chinese Super League champions some momentum but with Covic in inspired form, the Wanderers held on for long enough that Elkeson's goal in stoppage time was too late for the home team.

Western Sydney rode their luck at times at the Tianhe Stadium, with Evergrande taking 17 shots to five for the match.

But with the 2014-15 A-League season still over a month away, Popovic was thrilled to see his team perform so well with so little match practice and in their debut ACL campaign.

"I feel very good and proud," he said.

"My team is very new to this competition as we started just six months ago. But they have done a great job by showing resilience and fighting spirit.

"This was a very tough game for us. We travelled a long way to be here and we were exhausted. But at last we overcame all of our difficulties and I am very proud."

Couldn't sleep, just lay in bed in a daze at what i just watched. just rolled into work all the talk is wanderers related...its good to hear, we're taking over this town. 

Our Semi Final home leg is the wednesday before the Thugby league and AwFuL grand final weekend. Lets upstage those pricks and their self proclaimed "sporting event of the year" and show them what a "festival of football" is all about. 

Long time reader of the forums, but first time poster, I just had to register after tonight`s game. Omg what a night. Ive gone through of all the possible emotions. From anger (penalty) through relief (Legend Covic`s safe), and joy (Juric`s goal), and anxiety (2-1) to ECSTASY (full time whistle).

It has been an amazing night, and right now I`m so proud to be part of this Red and Black Family.

God I love this team so freaking much!

Great timing on first post. Welcome brother(or sister).
Brother (:

Ok for all those peeps that want to welcome our legends back home, they will arrive at Mascot tonight at 7.42pm, on a CZ flight

Be there or be square.

should make this into a thread for the day and tweet we should.

Its been mentioned on twitter

Won't grace this page with the image, but our old mate Jerrad Tyson has been receiving abusive shite from bitter, twisted, whiney fuktards among the entitled dud fan base at Guangzhou Nevertryhardes...

https://twitter.com/jerradtyson/status/504771125839032320/photo/1

Now I don;t want this to turn into a maritime device war, but can someone tell me what is worse...the use of pyro versus the incessant abusive and disgusting behaviour of these grubs, these scummy karnts, who have run the gamut from physical harassment, verbal abuse, online hectoring and threats, lasers, ignoring rules re coach behaviour on the paddock or when under a suspension etc etc.

If the corrupt bastards in AFC HQ had any balls they should be fining Guangzhou Nevertryhardes a motza for everything their fail of a club has been associated with this last 8 days. Of course we all know that the Chinese league and local authorities over there are as bent as Eddie Obeid at a limbo dancing festival, so nothing will come of it.

BTW I believe Shannon was on the Big Sports Brekky this morning on 2KY...anyone hear that?

So, *if* we make it through the semis, the home leg of the grand final is on October 25.

Guess what other kind if event I have to attend that day?

Wedding.

Unless you're getting married... You don't have to go hahaha

So, *if* we make it through the semis, the home leg of the grand final is on October 25.

Wedding.

I might well be wrong on this, but at the ACL knock out phase draw I am sure they said they would be drawing lots to see who would play the first leg of the final home / away once the teams are known?

Getting wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ahead of ourselves anyway.

Wedding.

People get married all the time. I'm sure there is one the next week.

a wedding is committment for only a day...

WSW is for life ;)

And then there was "Pete from Cronulla" who got up this morning, had a box of sour grapes for breakfast, and then decided to put in his application for the "knob of the month" award. He wrote: 

"I heard Bozza say on the broadcast that WSW had done Australia proud. I totally disagree with this. The tactics of this team and their coach Popovic have shamed Australia. Instead of playing good football, WSW seem to concentrate on tactics designed to elicit fouls and trick the referee. Australian football lost last night. No-one is proud, aside from those who don't care how a result is achieved."

Hohoho! Don't you just love it how the WSW gets under the skin even of those who have no idea of football whatsoever?

In response, "Jon" posted:

"What are you on about. Listen, I'm an ardent Sydney FC supporter, but I'm shocked by how ridiculous you're being. The Wanderers played well, and deserve credit. Your rant is one of the most spiteful loads of horse manure I've ever read. Pull your head in mate."

Can someone please point Pete in the general direction of a drug free and reasonably competitive thugby club? And should Jon be considered as an honorary member of the WSW community?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers-battle-through-to-acl-semifinals-after-away-goals-win-over-guangzhou-evergrande-20140828-1099o7.html#comments

There has been a bit of criticism of Shannon Cole, but I think he did well, in what was a monumental task at right back.

We desperately needed someone winning possession at the back and actually ensuring that we played it out and retained possession further up the field. He did lose possession on a couple of occasions, but more often he was successful.

Congratulations to Popa for using Cole in that position in this game. It was a scary ride, but we can all be proud of what our team of pre-season journeymen have achieved against the rich boys of Asia!

And then there was "Pete from Cronulla" who got up this morning, had a box of sour grapes for breakfast, and then decided to put in his application for the "knob of the month" award. He wrote: 

"I heard Bozza say on the broadcast that WSW had done Australia proud. I totally disagree with this. The tactics of this team and their coach Popovic have shamed Australia. Instead of playing good football, WSW seem to concentrate on tactics designed to elicit fouls and trick the referee. Australian football lost last night. No-one is proud, aside from those who don't care how a result is achieved."

Hohoho! Don't you just love it how the WSW gets under the skin even of those who have no idea of football whatsoever?

In response, "Jon" posted:

"What are you on about. Listen, I'm an ardent Sydney FC supporter, but I'm shocked by how ridiculous you're being. The Wanderers played well, and deserve credit. Your rant is one of the most spiteful loads of horse manure I've ever read. Pull your head in mate."

Can someone please point Pete in the general direction of a drug free and reasonably competitive thugby club? And should Jon be considered as an honorary member of the WSW community?

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers-battle-through-to-acl-semifinals-after-away-goals-win-over-guangzhou-evergrande-20140828-1099o7.html#comments

Poor old Pete - either a Muppet FC supporter, or been hitting the peptides too hard.

There has been a bit of criticism of Shannon Cole, but I think he did well, in what was a monumental task at right back.

We desperately needed someone winning possession at the back and actually ensuring that we played it out and retained possession further up the field. He did lose possession on a couple of occasions, but more often he was successful.

Congratulations to Popa for using Cole in that position in this game. It was a scary ride, but we can all be proud of what our team of pre-season journeymen have achieved against the rich boys of Asia!

100% agree with you. He played really well and competed well against the level of play[ers] he was up against. He was run off his feet in the last 15, but could you blame him?