Nikita Rukavytsya To Sign For Wanderers

Bridgey is one of the reasons why we made the final. His work rate in front of the holding midfielders was outstanding. Saba has a tendency to try and go past one opponent too many. He loses the ball, and then we are vulnerable on the counter because he is too far up front and doesn't track back immediately.

Edited by FCB

I think Popa will now use bridge as his first choice no #10, even though he is terrible there

Really cant see bridge not being first 11 given he is VC

I can see him dropped. he isn't #10 and VC means nothing. Look at Beauchamp last year.

So true, in football, VC means absolutely nothing on the pitch and Captain, slightly more than nothing..  "Heads or tails"

Edited by beatsurrender

That's a fair call FCB but apart the front pressing, imo he is doesnt have the touch nor final ball to play number 10, LW is his position.

Number 10's in a number of teams arent known for their pressing and coming back to defend,

Well, he has to play where to coach puts him. If he plays out of position than our argument is with Popa, not with Bridgey.

I personally think he doesn't have the pace to be a penetrating and dangerous LW. Once Ruka is on the pitch we'll have a better idea what a strong and fast winger looks like.

I believe Ono did a great job defensively as CAM. Popa wants the team to defend as a pack, and we are yet to learn how much lee way he is going to give Saba. Not much, I'd say.

I'm not sure it's a case of anyone being 'dropped' to accomodate Ruka.

Keep in mind soon we'll have a couple of mid week fixtures to catch up, factoring in Injuries etc I'm sure we'll see various line ups to accomodate everyone. The players, IMO, most at risk of losing game time in a full strength squad due to Ruka's arrival are Santalab and Haliti IMO.

That's a fair call FCB but apart the front pressing, imo he is doesnt have the touch nor final ball to play number 10, LW is his position.

Number 10's in a number of teams arent known for their pressing and coming back to defend,

Well, he has to play where to coach puts him. If he plays out of position than our argument is with Popa, not with Bridgey.

I personally think he doesn't have the pace to be a penetrating and dangerous LW. Once Ruka is on the pitch we'll have a better idea what a strong and fast winger looks like.

I believe Ono did a great job defensively as CAM. Popa wants the team to defend as a pack, and we are yet to learn how much lee way he is going to give Saba. Not much, I'd say.

The other option for Bridge is to play up front in the absence of Tomi.

Email from the club

Monday, 13 October 2014

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers today announced the signing of Socceroo Nikita Rukavytsya from Bundesliga club 1.FSV Mainz 05.
Signed on a one year deal Rukavytsya joins the Club to add strike power to the Wanderers attack. With the ability to play anywhere across the front third, the speedy 27-year-old is sure to excite fans of the Wanderers.

Rukavytsya returns to the Hyundai A-League following a five year stint in Europe playing for high profile clubs including FSV Frankfurt, Hertha Berlin and FC Twente.

Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas hailed the signing of Rukavytsya as an important capture for the Club's Hyundai A-League and AFC Champions League campaigns.

"This is a class acquisition for the Club. Nikita will give us options across our frontline, has a strong pedigree and is familiar with the Hyundai A-League," said Tsatsimas.

“We are at the beginning of a hectic season schedule and it is important that we add to the depth of our squad.

“The fact that he is an Australian player is a bonus in our view and can only be good for the Wanderers and the Australian game. We at the Western Sydney Wanderers Football Club welcome Nikita with open arms.â€

Rukavytsya will arrive on Wednesday to join the Wanderers squad in preparation for this weekend’s Sydney Derby at Sydney Football Stadium.

Really wanted longer than a one year deal. What is this guy thinking, the reason why he would come here is to get back on track and I would be going for two years.

The reason why I care is because of the ACL. Very handy to have two aussie marquees

The special bottle of vodka i was saving for when the family visits in a couple of weeks will be a distant memory by about 8pm, tonight i drink to celebrate Nikita's arrival at the Wanderers. Faaaark yeeeeah!

hope its belvedere ;)

or zubrowka..

The special bottle of vodka i was saving for when the family visits in a couple of weeks will be a distant memory by about 8pm, tonight i drink to celebrate Nikita's arrival at the Wanderers. Faaaark yeeeeah!

hope its belvedere ;)

or zubrowka..

Vodka is vodka to me i'm not cultured enough to tell the difference, to be honest i don't know what the hell it's called but i'm 95% sure it's Ukrainian as it was bought (not by me) with my Pop in mind.

Nemiroff is a solid Ukrainian vodka. Maybe that's the one.

:)

Really wanted longer than a one year deal. What is this guy thinking, the reason why he would come here is to get back on track and I would be going for two years.

The reason why I care is because of the ACL. Very handy to have two aussie marquees

I'm pretty sure he's under the cap. 

http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/wanderers-make-rukavytsya-coup/wch8ns51b6ex1sax350p4itim

Confirmed now.

Best part of the article? "Rukavytsya will arrive on Wednesday to join the Wanderers squad in preparation for this weekend’s Sydney Derby at Sydney Football Stadium."

He might have been training with the Mainz squad in Germany so I think he might be okay physically but not sure whether he has spent enough time with the team just to slot into the first XI

He can't play in the ACL game so if he's fit enough maybe he could come off the bench. Problem is Castelen is in the same situation (unavailable for ACL and unlikely to play 90 mins) and I can't see Popa playing two wingers off the bench.

Maybe if he's saving Juric for ACL he could start Santalab/Haliti up front and bring Ruka on up top to keep them fresh.

Popa's pretty conservative when he brings new players in so he probably won't feature at all but of all weeks this is the one we want lots of depth and fresh legs for the following weekend.

Great news for the club and a boost before the derby. Hoping he can make the squad for Saturday. Has anyone followed his time in Germany, will he hit the ground running or take time to adjust?

From what I can gather, he was on the outer at Mainz. He trialed for an Israeli club but obviously nothing came of it.  He doesn't have the flashiest goal scoring record but I'm sure popa will fix that up.

Yeah, one year deal is a bit disappointing. To me it indicates that the player himself is not sure it's the right move. I'm sure the club would have wanted 2 year at least. Bet in six months time he will be convinced!

Edited by beatsurrender

Yeah, one year deal is a bit disappointing. To me it indicates that the player himself is not sure it's the right move. I'm sure the club would have wanted 2 year at least. Bet in six months time he will be convinced!

Next season is the last thing we should be worrying about. Maybe it was the club that only wanted to sign him for one season. At the end of this season if we want him for another that means he's done a good job for us and presumably we'll be in a position to be attractive to him and others who might be better.  One thing's for sure, not bringing in a big $$$ marquee on top of making the ACL final means the club should have a nice looking balance sheet this financial year!