Nikita Rukavytsya To Sign For Wanderers

Is that out of 20?

Here he can work on defending (off the ball, positioning, work rate)

Low numbers that he can improve on. Win for WSW and win for him.

Edited by Wanderer74

Is that out of 20?

Here he can work on defending (off the ball, positioning, work rate)

Low numbers that he can improve on. Win for WSW and win for him.

Yes so when you consider guys like Ronaldo, Messi etc cap at 20 it makes it a bit more bearable

Hmmm...conflicted now about getting Cole or Ruka's name on the back of my next shirt...for that matter will Ruka's name even fit on a ***** shirt

With the old typeface when he was back at Perth his name was a big arch to fit it in. Even still, his name is shorter than 'Topor-Stanley', which they've managed to fit without an arch  :unknw:

Hmmm...conflicted now about getting Cole or Ruka's name on the back of my next shirt...for that matter will Ruka's name even fit on a ***** shirt

Ruka (although a dream come true, for me) isn't proven yet. Shannon-an'-on-an'-on-an'-on-an'-on-an'-on is already on the way to club legend status.

Somehow I doubt we'll see him in the derby. Still pretty darned excited though to see him live in action!

------

Rukavytsya targets derby debut

The new arrival hopes to be involved this weekend in the big clash for Harbour City bragging rights

Nikita Rukavytsya says Western Sydney's huge ambition and the quality of their coaching staff was the reason he chose the club to help re-launch his career.

The 27-year-old striker touched down in Sydney on Wednesday morning after joining the Wanderers on a one-year deal from German club Mainz FC.

Originally from Perth and having started his career at the Glory, Kenny Lowe's side were thought to be favourite to snare Rukavytsya's signature, but he opted instead to link up with Tony Popovic in Sydney.

“It’s a great club. I’ve followed the league for the last couple of years and the teams been doing great and obviously now they are in the final of the Asian Champions League and its very good for Australian sport,†Rukavytsya told reporters on his arrival at Sydney International Airport.

“They are a very ambitious club, have a good coach and all the coaching staff are at the same level as I am.

“It’s very good for me to keep improving my game and improve as a player. I make choices on what’s best for my career.

“I spoke with Popa a few times and he got me really interested.â€

Rukavytsya admitted his first preference was to remain in Europe but believes coming home to the Wanderers is the perfect place to show potential suitors he still has something to offer abroad.

“I still want to go back to Europe. That’s my plan … I’m pretty young and coming back to Australia wasn’t on my radar,†he said.

“At the moment I haven’t been playing regular football for some time so I just want to get that playing feeling again and I think it’s a great club to do that.â€

Despite not figuring at all in the Bundesliga this season, Rukavytsya says he’s in “good shape†and hopes to be in the squad for Saturday night’s Sydney derby at Allianz Stadium.

He will have a light session with Wanderers coaching staff on Wednesday afternoon before joining in full training with the rest of the squad on Thursday.

“It’s a big game and I always want to be involved in these games,†Rukavytsya said of playing against Sydney FC.

“That’s why I play football to play as much as possible. I heard (the derby) is pretty big and a lot of people are coming, about 40,000 come to the games and obviously it’s a Sydney derby so it must be big.â€

Rukavytsya, with 13 caps for the Socceroos but no appearance in the last 12 months, also hopes performing in the A-League can help to revive his international career ahead of January’s Asian Cup.

Ruka, Juric, Spira, and Castelen on the bench against the smufs. After 60 mins nil all, then the beasts will be unleashed.

Ruka has been training with Mainz for three months. He'll be fit, and he will have 20-30 mins in him. As long as he doesn't do a Golgol...

As long as he scores a golgol! :P

While I think he probably won't play, is it me or is that article the same quotes as all the other ones, except missing this bit:

"Of course, it's a big game and I always want to be involved. That's why I play football, to play as much as possible."

Not that I'm suggesting that News Limited would engage in lazy journalism...

While I think he probably won't play, is it me or is that article the same quotes as all the other ones, except missing this bit:

"Of course, it's a big game and I always want to be involved. That's why I play football, to play as much as possible."

Not that I'm suggesting that News Limited would engage in lazy journalism...

I was thinking the journalist hear first hand from Popa at the press conference after training (but then why wouldn't he include any quotes?) or has heard through grapevine. Either way, seeing how high popa's fitness standards are, I'm not really surprised!

I've reread the article. The author voices an assumption that Ruka "might" not be fit enough to play. All Ruka said is that he is not fully fit. Of course he lacks match fitness, and won't be able to do a full game. Still, I'd be very surprised if he didn't have 20 minutes in him. He'll be doing a full training session today, then the coaching staff will have more clarity. And we'll find out on Saturday, 7pm.