Squad Development S3 Part 2

This thread is for discussion about squad development and rumours for incoming & outgoing players.

Previous Thread Located Here

Current status:

Updated 28/2/15

Asian Champions League Group Stage Contract
Nick Kalmar

Asian Champions League + A-League Injury Replacement

Kerem Bulut

Yusuke Tanaka (foreign)

Asian Champions League + Future Full Team Deal 
Kearyn Baccus (ACL 2014/15, A-League 2015/16 & 2016/17)

Expiring End 2014/15
Ante Covic
Antony Golec
Brendan Hamill
Iacopo La Rocca (foreign)
Jason Trifiro
Jaushua Sotirio
Martin Lo

Nick Ward
Nikita Rukavytsya
Sam Gallaway
Tomi Juric
Yianni Perkatis
Yojiro Takahagi (foreign)

Expiring End 2015/16
Alusine Fofanah (First Team U21 Contract)
Brendon Santalab
Daniel Alessi (First Team U21 Contract)
Dean Bouzanis
Golgol Mebrahtu
Labinot Haliti
Mateo Poljak (foreign)
Matthew Spiranovic
Romeo Castelen (foreign)
Shannon Cole

Expiring End 2016/17
Mark Bridge
Nikolai Topor-Stanley

Special Player Limitations (As part of overall squad cap)
5 of 5 Foreign Players
? of 1 Marquee Position (Wage not included in Salary Cap)
1 of 1 Australian Marquee Position (Wage not included in Salary Cap)

A-League squad comprised of 23 First Team players, and 3 U21 Contracted Players.

Since we have 5 non-asian foreign players, which 2 are people leaving out of next seasons champions league?

Is there a good chance of signing an asian foreigner in the january transfer window specifically for the ACL??

in: la rocca, saba, castelen

out: poljak (again :( spira or trifiro can play his position), adeleke (golec can play left back)

and shinji on loan  :cool:

Since we have 5 non-asian foreign players, which 2 are people leaving out of next seasons champions league?

Is there a good chance of signing an asian foreigner in the january transfer window specifically for the ACL??

out: poljak (again :( spira or trifiro can play his position), adeleke (golec can play left back)

Poljak and La Rocca were a rock in the quarters, semis and final of the ACL.

I would leave out Adeleke and Castelen. 

I know that Castelen has shown some good stuff so far, but not nothing exceptional enough to leave out Poljak and La Rocca.

We don't have the technical ability to beat top asian teams in attack, so we're going to have to rely on our defence again, try to control the game in the midfield and then use pace to get in behind defenders on the counter and use Juric's physical ability to our advantage

Poljak and La Rocca were a rock in the quarters, semis and final of the ACL.

I would leave out Adeleke and Castelen. 

I know that Castelen has shown some good stuff so far, but not nothing exceptional enough to leave out Poljak and La Rocca.

We don't have the technical ability to beat top asian teams in attack, so we're going to have to rely on our defence again, try to control the game in the midfield and then use pace to get in behind defenders on the counter and use Juric's physical ability to our advantage

La Rocca and Adeleke out. Saba, Poljak and Castelen have contracts through to the following season, providing continuity for the second half of the tournament (provided we qualify of course).

That's my simplistic view of things anyway. If I was any good at this stuff I'd be a super coach somewhere and not cruising a football forum after 11pm on a Sunday night.

We should keep, Saba, Castelen, and Poljak in for ACL but it all comes down to what popa wants. 

If la rocca goes, popa should find another quality midfield signing that can add to our attack and creativity

By the way whats the news on the Visa reduction quota? will it go through or will coaches block it? 

By the way whats the news on the Visa reduction quota? will it go through or will coaches block it?

i read an article somewhere that in one of the coaches meetings with FFA that all coaches opposed the reduction to 4. of course they would say that and i don't believe that coaches should be the one's making the decision, however the gist of the article suggested that it wouldn't happen for next season at least. but who knows.

You would think the FFA would have to give clubs ample notice if they said it starts next season and a club has its foreign players on 2 year deals the PFA would have a field day hammering them

I'm against it as I see it as doing no good except weakening the league. Aussies have enough spots on the roster - you telling me 18 by 9 isn't enough? (Not counting nix)

As someone mentioned before, dropping a visa spot of each club to allow 10 more Australian players into the league is not going to have any major impacts while arguably limiting the growth and appeal of the league to overseas players...

After the next tv rights deal, when there are 12 teams, the visa quota should be rising to 6 and the salary cap increasing.

How many teams have visa players that never get into the squad because the local players are keeping them out of the team? It's not very common. So if they reduce the number of visa players they're effectively taking one of the top 5 players out of each team to replace them with the 12th best player in the team. Not only will that reduce the overall quality of the league but none of these added Australian players are realistically going to be superstars if they couldn't break into the squad before.

I'd rather the better A-League players that can already make the squad (i.e. the ones likely to go overseas or play for the Socceroos) hone their skills by playing against quality visa players. That's the best way to prepare them for a move to higher quality leagues overseas and would benefit the national team.

What's the story re: Ruka (apparently?) not being signed as a Marquee?

What benefit to us would there be??

What benefit is there to us not using the Marquee position?

If our squad's full - then we can't use the Marquee position at all, hey?

I haven't had it confirmed if he is or isn't a marquee. It wouldn't surprise me if he was.

The "benefit" if he's not marquee is that he has come under the salary cap which means we would have the marquee spot available to offer to recontracting or new players for next season. Although he only has a one year deal so really it's available anyway its just easier when we don't have an existing marquee. It would also mean our squad is playing "cheaply" in terms of cap room if we can fit the 26 in cap with only Spira as marquee. It gives breathing room knowing we could shift one squad space wages off the cap to spread to rest of squad.

If we get a long term injury we could use the marquee spot for an injury replacment.

Marquee is part of the overall squad cap so yes, we can't add a new player even if they are marquee, without dropping one of the existing 23 men in the main squad.

I don't think this is 100% right, the highest paid player would not be included in the cap and classified as the marquee player even though technically they are not marquee player.

The benefit to us is that all the players are equal in the squad, there isn't a player been played significantly more than the others and I think this works very well in terms of team dynamics

I haven't had it confirmed if he is or isn't a marquee. It wouldn't surprise me if he was.

The "benefit" if he's not marquee is that he has come under the salary cap which means we would have the marquee spot available to offer to recontracting or new players for next season. Although he only has a one year deal so really it's available anyway its just easier when we don't have an existing marquee. It would also mean our squad is playing "cheaply" in terms of cap room if we can fit the 26 in cap with only Spira as marquee. It gives breathing room knowing we could shift one squad space wages off the cap to spread to rest of squad.

If we get a long term injury we could use the marquee spot for an injury replacment.

Marquee is part of the overall squad cap so yes, we can't add a new player even if they are marquee, without dropping one of the existing 23 men in the main squad.

Gotcha - that makes sense.

Thank you! :golecapproves:

I don't think this is 100% right, the highest paid player would not be included in the cap and classified as the marquee player even though technically they are not marquee player.
I don't believe it is setup like that. My understanding is that a marquee must be vetted by the FFA and isn't just the highest paid player. They would be the highest paid but still need to be contracted as a marquee.

I don't believe it is setup like that. My understanding is that a marquee must be vetted by the FFA and isn't just the highest paid player. They would be the highest paid but still need to be contracted as a marquee.
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought we could have fit Ruka under the cap if that was the case and thought that we had the extra room because we could just have that extra flexibility of having paying outside the cap for a player.

Just say we didn't end up with Ruka, I would have though that it was really interesting that we had such a gap in our squad/salary cap that had not been filled!

Gotcha - that makes sense.

Thank you! :golecapproves:

:golec: