Around the Bloc S03E08: There are no stupid questions…

Around the Bloc S03E8: There are no stupid questions…

The elusive Turner returns for a stint on the podcast that David Villa would be proud of, and with everyone else showing up for once, the team was 6 strong. 6 is also the number of games we’ve played in the A-League without a win, but despite what’s happening up in Brisbane, the Wanderers fans seem to be giving King Popa all their support, which they express in this weeks apparently silly ATBFeedback. The question of the week segment is back also, and is answered by Ivan.

On the bright side, we’re unbeaten in 2, and we cover both the Mariners and Newcastle games, as well as the upcoming Sydney Derby which is a must win for so many reasons – namely the bragging rights that come with it. It could be a first loss for Sydney and a first win for us, or it could potentially see both teams at completely opposite ends of the ladder if things go Sydneys way. Hopefully it’s the former.

This is Around the Bloc.

On iTunes or your podcast app or on our website here:

http://www.aroundthebloc.com.au/s03e8-there-are-no-stupid-questions/

Around The Bloc on Facebook

Around The Bloc on Twitter 

Yep we're aware of the audio levels up and down. Its just teething issues as Pistola has mentioned. Sharing mics and just inexperience of where you have to talk in to. We'll nut these out in the coming weeks and once everyone has their own mic it'll all be much more even across the board.

Sound quality much improved. With a bit of fine tuning, you'll be up there with the best.

Thank you all for the extensive and thoughtful response to my question. I must admit that I deliberately framed the question in way that I thought might generate some discussion, and I was not disappointed.

For what it's worth, I think that while the FFA had good intentions at the beginning, the clamp down on ethnicity in Australian football has gone too far.

On the one hand, I'm not a fan of clubs explicitly tying themselves to a home land with their name (e.g. Sydney Croatia - and how do Olympic clubs get away with it?). In my own experience, the people I have spoken to over the years that most strongly defend a right to name a club like that are also diehard warriors who still fervently believe in holding historical cultural grudges.

On the other hand, history is important and can be something that binds a team together, even if that history isn't shared by all individuals. I might not have a drop of Spanish in me, but I'm intensely proud of my 7 years with the Narrabundah Bulls in Canberra. The history of the club and it's cultural legacy helped me feel a passion for the game like I had never felt before. I haven't kicked a ball in anger in 6 years but I'll be a Narrabundahista to the day I die. Logos, emblems, team colours should all be allowed to reference the history of a club's community. If you don't acknowledge history, you face the future blind.

It's a thorny issue, with no black or white answers, but I loved your responses nonetheless.

:golecapproves:

I gotta say, that was a top question. I hope I was able to adequately addressed it for you. It's a hard thing to explain but I gave it my best.

I make no apologies for being a Uruguayan fan and not a Socceroos fan. I laugh at anyone who says I don't support Australian football or even worse that I'm un-Australian. Like one of our listeners from the U.S.A, Paul Blackman, said on Twitter:

"@ATBWSW I used to marvel at ppl in Australia and their foreign jerseys. Now I'm in USA wearing green and gold like it's cool. #ATBFeedback

Easy to point fingers and name name until it's you in a foreign culture wishing more than anything you could have a sausage roll in one hand and a tomato sauce squeezy thing in the other and crying yourself to sleep because you don't fit in and you miss your family and mates.

Again, thank you so much for asking the question, it was an honour to try and provided some details on the matter.

Oh, and for the record, I have no problem with people supporting a national team other than Australia. I'd be supporting the Socceroos if I lived in another country, no shadow of a doubt. I'm Aussie, why shouldn't I? You're Uruguayan, of course you should support them. Most of my "foreign" mates were Spanish/Argentinian/Urugayan/Chilean/Scottish/English fans first, Socceroos second. No one should be expected to deny their heritage, unless they choose to of their own free will. Our history makes us who we are.

My question was purely about the FFA's attempt at whitewashing the league in a post-NSL era, and you answered it well. All I hoped for was some thought provoking discussion, and I got it in spades :)

Great section just listened to it. Loved the responses and pistolas response on here too.

I reckon most 1st Gen migrant families would have a similar experience to what I did which is where traditions and cultural pravtises are upheld as a way to deal with being in a strange country. Not to say they don't appreciate Australia. Its just natural. Many have done so through football. My family didn't have ad strong a football thing because there wasn't a strong Dutch team or whatever but it was still there. Funnily though and other people often day the same thing, you do all this traditional stuff for years and then you visit the old country and they laugh at you and say, "what? We haven't put rugs on tables since the 50s". But all that time nonetheless the traditional stuff had kept the community going, helped them to find their place while not feeling like they are losing their identity.

As for the badges etc, when clubs were founded across the world a hundred or more years ago, many were based on the nationalities of the founders of the club, like some of the ones listed; this hasnt stopped them flourishing despite no longer having those ties. Nobody complains about them being English clubs or whatever; they aren't.

Half way through the podcast, my only question about the tifo is, why was it done against jets, was there a reason? Or was it just against jets is good enough as against any other team?

Half way through the podcast, my only question about the tifo is, why was it done against jets, was there a reason? Or was it just against jets is good enough as against any other team?

I would suggest that the tifo was for the "first home game", but as was the need, these original games were moved because Asian Champions.

The fact that our first home game fell on a Wednesday night, setting up that tifo would of taken a few hours and so was too difficult (work commitments). Thus, the first chance was against Newcastle, where they had Saturday afternoon to set it up.

Speccy's voice sounds even sexier than before, if that was at all possible

I'm in talks with 106.5fm to take over Richard Mercer for Love Song Dedications

"Thanks Margaret, and I hope his leg grows back soon, you stay strong. And now it's time for a new segment on Love Song Dedications I like to call Speccy's Rant".

On the sound, I've a bit of experience here, if you guys do any processing when it's all mixed down a compressor plugin can help to smooth out the jumps in level. Either way keep up the good work. It's much appreciated.

On the sound, I've a bit of experience here, if you guys do any processing when it's all mixed down a compressor plugin can help to smooth out the jumps in level. Either way keep up the good work. It's much appreciated.

I compressed the $hit out of it. Speccy just needs to talk into the mic lol

I would suggest that the tifo was for the "first home game", but as was the need, these original games were moved because Asian Champions.

The fact that our first home game fell on a Wednesday night, setting up that tifo would of taken a few hours and so was too difficult (work commitments). Thus, the first chance was against Newcastle, where they had Saturday afternoon to set it up.

I think this is most likely the case.

Still have 30 minutes left,

On the question of socceroos support, I hate those people who think we HAVE to support Australia jut because we live here, we don't, all the Aussies living in uk and America support Australia over America and those uk teams, how about go and tell them off before "trying" to force us to support aus.

I'm no socceroos supporter, nor will I be in the near future, this all comes down to Arnie and most of the 2007 Asian cup teams disrespect to asia and Asian nation, and various other things that have happened and been said.

You can still live and live this country without having to support the socceroos, I have been t endless socceroos games over the years as a neutral, many World Cup qualifiers, Asian cup qualifiers and friendlies....

Including that game against Solomon Islands at ANZ for that Oceania trophy.

If it makes me un-Australian or "hate" Australia because I don't support socceroos, then so be it, I guess I "hate" Australia and I am un-Australian .