Ground Announcer Flop

I'm not a fan of the ground announcer. 

There is a difference between being enthusiastic, and coming across as someone who just loves the sound of him own voice.

There is no need to shout so much.

There is no need to tell us what is a hard name to pronounce.

Especially if then, in the same hour, you on numerous occasions pronounce someones name incorrectly, after being corrected many times.

There's no need to be passive aggressive, towards those who speak another language. 

The best ground announcer, that all ground announcers should aspire to, is Steve Allan.  Ground announcer for events such as CCM home matches, GWS Giants home matches, and all the big rugby league matches (State of Origin, Finals series, Grand Final, etc.) - he manages to remain enthusiastic, professional, and well, likeable!  His dulcet tones are perfection.

Who picks the announcer is it WSW or Pirtek?

It's up to the club, not the stadium.

Source: Other sporting codes have differing ground announcers, at the same sporting venue.

Well in that case why do we put up with him?

I totally agree he is condescending and totally doesn't fit with the culture of the club.

The best ground announcer, that all ground announcers should aspire to, is Steve Allan.

Yeh, i agree.

I was a West Sydney Razorbacks season ticket holder for years (may they rest in peace), and he was the announcer there and did a good job.

We should hire him :xnod:

Guest mickisnot

Yep.

First rule should be knowing your audience.

The snipes at our players names (and by extension a lot of members), the snipes at Ivan, the flippant ignorance about the language. This guy has got to go.

We need a response from the club. People need to write in. And I'd love to hear the entire crowd getting stuck in if he keeps it up.

Would this be another first from the A-league? An entire stadium of fans getting stuck into the ground announcer?

- First ACL winners

- First team to not win a game all season

- First team to get stuck in and throw **** at the ground announcer

The best ground announcer, that all ground announcers should aspire to, is Steve Allan.

Yeh, i agree.

I was a West Sydney Razorbacks season ticket holder for years (may they rest in peace), and he was the announcer there and did a good job.

We should hire him :xnod:

I wish!!!

And as much as he does still do matches for Western Sydney sides for other codes - he's a Coastie, loves his Mariners and I reckon he bleeds yellow & navy.

Yep.

The snipes at our players names (and by extension a lot of members), the snipes at Ivan, the flippant ignorance about the language. This guy has got to go.

We need a response from the club. People need to write in. And I'd love to hear the entire crowd getting stuck in if he keeps it up.

Would this be another first from the A-league? An entire stadium of fans getting stuck into the ground announcer?

- First ACL winners

- First team to not win a game all season

- First team to get stuck in and throw **** at the ground announcer

I'd rather blame him for our current slump tbh hahaha

And what's the go of playing Zombie nation to start the 2nd half when players are going on the pitch?!?!?!

I'm pretty sure that's the song they play when the Mariners score a goal.

It certainly is.

Yeah, I thought that was an interesting choice too.  

Watch - next week they'll play Seven Nation Army. :rofl:

Guest mickisnot

And what's the go of playing Zombie nation to start the 2nd half when players are going on the pitch?!?!?!

Mate.

Get psyched.

I agree that half time is a weird choice. But we need to Zombie before the game, it might just give us that motivation to win!

Mate.

Get psyched.

I agree that half time is a weird choice. But we need to Zombie before the game, it might just give us that motivation to win!

Zombie?

Was hard for me on the pitch yesterday. Dampened such an amazing moment. I've written to the club and I suggest you do the same.

Thx for the support guys.

#speakingbrazilian

I hope that ground announcer apologies to you during half time at our next home game.

If he doesn't, he can lose his job.

Edited by wanderersfanatic

Was hard for me on the pitch yesterday. Dampened such an amazing moment. I've written to the club and I suggest you do the same.

Thx for the support guys.

#speakingbrazilian

Good on you!  You did an amazing with the commentary - and so cool for you to go onto the hallowed turf of Parramatta Stadium, at half time!! 

Re: Writing to the club  -  Will do so latter in the week.

If I send it now, it will have a few too many expletives in it.

I actually still can't believe he takes the piss of foreign names.

:nono::nono::nono:

Its another way of being racist.

I cannot remember what was said exactly before the game but he interviewed 2 ladies and he said something to them that at that mom I thought it was uncalled for.

Edited by tardotz

Yep.

We need a response from the club. People need to write in. 

102megan, on 07 Jan 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

I actually still can't believe he takes the piss of foreign names.  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Is he the same announcer we've always had???

If so. I think he has three problems  

1. He tries tooooooooooooooooooooooooo   hard

2. For someone in this line of work, I think he actually has trouble reading long and unfamiliar names.

3. Otherwise/In addition.... it is OBVIOUS that he has ZERO knowledge of football identities....and he doesn't rehearse/practise reading the names before he delivers them.

If he's the same person we've always had, he has made mistakes pronouncing what are household names in football circles from Season 1.  Some of these difficulties/mispronunciations  have been ridiculous.  Last game, he didn't even pronounce Carl Valerie's name correctly.

If he IS the same person, he has improved.... but I honestly think he needs serious tuition on how to pronounce player's names correctly.  It is disrespectful not to be able to do so.

FWIW... I'm not necessarily in favour of having someone lose his job, but he absolutely needs to tone down the artificial attempts to hype the crowd, and he need to be able to articulate names properly

PS.. I  clearly remember having this same conversation on the forums at the start of Season 1

I'm not implying he lose his job. But he needs to be more on the ball and not so loose with his adlib.

I totally agree Pistola.  

To me, he's not a natural at this job.... as I said, I think he tries too hard.

He needs to be better prepared... and as you say, not so loose with his ad lib. 

The club does need to hear from disgruntled fans.... and to needs to ensure he is adequately prepared to do his job professionally..