Liverpool FC Thread

Sigurdsson will be a fantastic signing. So would Johnson. But Kalou seems a little weird for me, we have enough old wing/strikers hanging around that can do that job just as well if not better; Bellamy, Cole, Maxi off the top of my head.

Johnson as a starting right would be pretty awesome, he's fallen victim to the "Man City Rotation System" and has always looked good for me when he actually got a chance.

Joe Cole has been widely reported to be coming back and staying and his game style would suit Rodgers perceived style of play.

I think we have enough depth in the defender roles at the moment. I would like to see Coates given more of a chance this season, but we have lots of quality young backs coming through and if we can keep Agger/Skrtel uninjured then we should be able to see a similar defensive record to last year which was 3rd best in the league. Remember we have Kelly, Flano and Robinson coming up and as Matt mentioned Conner Coady.

We really need goals. Suarez is a fantastic dribbler and is inspirational and creative, but his finishing is so hot and cold. We need solid goals. I don't think Huntelaar is the answer, I think speed + finishing + youth would be something we should be looking for in a striker and not necessarily a big name. Although they won't come with a guarantee of goals, they will be more likely to learn and fit in with the plan and have the potential to grow with the new team.

Who to sell? Adam (If he was bought for set pieces then it was a stupid buy, ineffective in every area of his game. Corners often hitting the first man, not sure he scored from a set piece all season.)

Carroll (I'm happy to see him given this season, but not sure how he'll fit this new style.)

Agreed about us already having the kind of player Kalou would bring to the squad, though I still feel we need extra cover in the centre at the back.

After Agger, Skrtel & Coates we're left with Carra and Danny Wilson. Carra is a legend and has an incredible football mind (look up any youtube clip of him discussing the game or playing football trivia!!!) but alas age is his enemy. Wilson will probably go out on loan to get more time on the pitch, as I think he is better than his current standing as part of our reserves squad but still has a lot to learn, and plenty of time up his sleeve to do so.

Flanagan & Robinson are great young prospects but both play out wide and Kelly is already a beast who fully deserved his place in the England Euro squad, yet again out wide. Just 1 player to add in to the 5 centre halves we already have would be fine and shouldn't tap into the war chest much at all as we're only looking for cover. Coady is able to play CB but that'd be a waste as he plays his best as a box to box or ball-winning midfielder in my opinion. I got laughed at by friends for saying this about Lucas back in 2008 after watching the National Reserve League play-off thumping of Villa (with the caveat that he needed to muscle up to make it in the EPL) but in Coady we have a future superstar without the need to hit the gym so much as Lucas did before he started to shine.

Options up front are definitely an area we can improve and it seems that with the exception of Huntelaar all of the strikers being linked with an Anfield move are young and fast. Borini, Tello and recent whispers about Sturridge spring to mind.

Considering that we have £30mil to spend plus whatever we make from selling it'll be an interesting transfer window. Gylfi is going to cost around £7mil, Johnson between £12-16mil, Kalou would be free, Huntelaar has a £16mil release clause and I've no idea what we'd be asked to pay for any of the young strikers mentioned above.

As for who to sell...

Adam seems the natural option to make way for Gylfi.

Aqua-man perhaps? He'd probably fit the posession based style of Rodgers moreso than Cole but I feel he'll be sold if a decent offer comes.

Doni. Wouldn't feed much less pay him.

Not much else we'd get value from so those are the only 3 I can see leaving permanently, with a swag of the young bunch going out on loan.

Kelly can play centre half too. I know he's only really played for us on the right but he's played in the centres before. But yep no doubt someone else would be appreciated, but I don't think we need to splash out on them. Totally agree about Carra, we didn't do as well with him in there when Agger was out, as much as I love the guy.

Aqua hasn't been able to fetch the right price so far, but who knows? I still feel like he hasn't been given a fair chance at Liverpool but the time for that is gone now I think.

Agree about Coady, we need some cover for Lucas in that holding/ball winning role as most of the midfielders we have are creative playmakers (apparently... Adam is about as creative as a pole) and Spearing just isn't quite there. I have confidence in him improving but he just seems to lack the edge that he needs to have to become a class midfielder.

I think Adam's biggest failure, especially after we lost Lucas to injury, was the amount of un-necessary running he does. 13km+ is outrageous for a midfielder who plays mostly box to box and suggests that the chook lost its head in the warm up and not for lack of effort failed to find it again.

Spearing might need to be sold. His dismal performance in the FA Cup Final showed that he just isn't up to EPL standard, though that would be one hell of a hearts & minds blow for a kid who's as Scouse as they come so perhaps a loan move could be on the cards.

I got to see Kelly play in the centre for the U18 and reserves squads while I was living in the UK ('06-'10) and while he has all of the attributes to play the role, I'd prefer to see him playing as a wing back as he has a thunderous right foot and at U21 level for England scores a goal every 2nd game. Great all-rounder whose versatility is perhaps an enemy in disguise in terms of getting a start?

Brendan Rodgers' first Premier League match as Liverpool manager will be at West Bromwich Albion, now managed by former Chelsea and Liverpool assistant Steve Clarke after the Baggies lost Roy Hodgson to England.

Rodgers is set for a tough start in front of the Liverpool faithful, with Manchester City, Arsenal and Manchester United the first three league visitors to Anfield next season.

Saturday, October 27th, 2012

Arsenal v Queens Park Rangers

Aston Villa v Norwich City

Chelsea v Manchester United

Everton v Liverpool

Manchester City v Swansea City

Newcastle United v West Bromwich Albion

Reading v Fulham

Southampton v Tottenham Hotspur

Stoke City v Sunderland

Wigan Athletic v West Ham United

Considering the home and away have been very very traditional I highly doubt we'll end up with that monstrosity. Also I think Liverpools PR team is too good for this to be linked before they announce it.

Considering the home and away have been very very traditional I highly doubt we'll end up with that monstrosity. Also I think Liverpools PR team is too good for this to be linked before they announce it.

I love the 'old school' home strip, undecided on the priestly looking away jersey but that thing above, I wouldn't wear it to the beach for a dare.

Hope you're right Sub.

• 2 weeks later...

If the colour and sleeve trim was red, and that tribal crap wasn't on the sleeves, it might look alright. The warrior stuff is **** though, look at this monstrosity.

AM280_z.jpgAM280_A_z.jpg

Not quite as bad as the "leaked" image I saw and posted in fear but still a big case of WHAT THE!!!

I can see where the inspiration for that 3rd kit has been drawn though. The purple is similar to one of David James' keeper jerseys and obviously the sleeves are a tribute to Agger and Skrtel.

All in all, it's Warrior's first year in operation in the football market as opposed to Lacrosse and more importantly, their first year providing kit outside of North America where there is a completely different mentality and set of expectations. The home jersey looks more awesome each time I view it and hopefully fans will reflect similar feelings with their wallets and help guide them along.

Liverpool need to hurry up with their signings, this is one of the major problems with the club. They can never sign players quick enough. It always ends up being some last minute rush before the season to sign decent players and end up paying way over the hilt in transfer fees. Get rid of all the players that the manager doesn't want ASAP and then get the players that you do want. Then just get your stuff sorted for the start of the season, don't wait for the season to start to sort the team out. I think the lack of professionalism and ability in the backroom staff within Liverpool FC has been a major contributor to some of the poor quality performances on the park at times. Rafa at least kicked out the useless medical staff at the club and also cleaned out the youth development staff who were both out and out utter disgraces. But more needs to be done.

Well I'd actually rather they took their time and made good signings rather than pay 35m for someone who isn't actually that good. Remember that Rodgers has only just started, has very little idea of what players like Cole and Aqualiani will fit in and there are some players still on holidays. So it's smart that they take their time and come up with some worthwhile players...

Who to sell? Adam (If he was bought for set pieces then it was a stupid buy, ineffective in every area of his game. Corners often hitting the first man, not sure he scored from a set piece all season.)

Carroll (I'm happy to see him given this season, but not sure how he'll fit this new style.)

Agree about Adam, he just isnt up to it. I think Carroll could be really suited to Rodgers though. If he sticks with the 433 he played at Swansea, Carrol could be the perfect target man. Possibly with Suarez cutting in from the left?! Carroll overall had a pretty average season but he is still relatively young and showed glimpses (he killed it once he came on in the FA cup final) of what he COULD do when in form.

Yep I get what you're saying about Carroll, it's the reason I'm happy for him to stay.

Here's a bit of a suprising story:

Brendan Rodgers rules out Liverpool going on a summer spending spree

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/jul/09/liverpool-transfers-brendan-rodgers

There is A LOT of talk from Rodgers on this "Mentality and Courage" to play our way. So in saying that there is going to be a new signing that the supporters are going to love and will fit into that mentality, he better hope they do exactly that. Impact from Rodgers' managerial style and the players he brings in or even just the ones he decides to play will need to be big. He'll also need to get a good start this season or he'll heap pressure on himself really early on. If there wasn't enough already...

Not sure how many of you chaps are familiar with The Anfield Wrap (I'm guessing a fair few, as you're dyed-in-the-wool reds), but they put up a link to the press conference referenced in The (Manchester) Guardian in Subs post above...

http://ec.libsyn.com...23&c_id=4686375

Great interview, and Brenno really understands the history and culture of the club, the city, and the legend that is Kenneth Mathieson Dalglish...very impressive.

Here's another link to Andy Gargett's piece about Rodger's managerial philosophy...

http://www.theanfiel...he-quality-gap/

I've never seen the site referenced in this thread, however, for those of you already onto TAW, apologies I'm preaching to the converted, and for those of you that aren't on, have a look as it's well worth the effort. Witty, erudite commentators and some very well written pieces about moneyball, FSG, transfer/wage structures in the modern game, the Suarez witchhunt etc...the podcasts are well worth a listen too.

go ed la's, enjoy

Great stuff Moods, something to get stuck into. I listen to the pod more than I read, hence the lack of posts referencing it I guess. I use the guardian for the goss of the league and listen to football weekly too. I find them to be relatively honest and not too biased.

But yeah for LFC stuff, TAW is the best.

Edited by Sub

Liverpool Transfer News: Reds Agree £11 Million Deal for Fabio Borini

Liverpool have almost signed Fabio Borini from AS Roma from the Italian Serie A. The reported agreed fee has been £11million. Borini now has just personal terms and a medical at Melwood to complete before he is officially unveiled as a Liverpool player.

Now we know whom Brendan Rodgers was referring to when he said that he was close to signing someone the fans would absolutely love.

Reds fans won't be too upbeat already, though. They recently saw Gylfi Sigurdsson, who was almost signed, sealed and delivered to the Kop doorstep, snatched away from under their noses by Tottenham Hotspur.

James Pearce of the Liverpool Echo reports:

LIVERPOOL are set to complete the signing of striker Fabio Borini after agreeing an £11million deal with Roma.

The Reds have been given the green light to discuss personal terms with the 21-year-old Italy international who will then undergo a medical.

The transfer should be completed in the next 48 hours and Borini will become manager Brendan Rodgers' first signing.

An agreement between the clubs was reached following lengthy negotiations after Borini made it clear he wanted to be reunited with the Northern Irishman.

The key thing here is that he clearly wants "to be reunited" with Rodgers. Now that is a great sign. Sigurdsson obviously did not think that aspect was important but Borini supposedly does.

For people who don't know, Rodgers looked over Borini well at Chelsea while he competed to get into the first team by performing in the reserves. Borini also says that he is like an uncle to him. An Italian for Liverpool is going to be great although reminiscing about the last Italian the Reds bought does a lot to spoil that built up anticipation.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1257151-liverpool-transfer-news-reds-agree-17-miilion-deal-for-fabio-borini

What a bad signing my friend who's a chelsea fan told me he is rubbish he couldn't cut it at chelsea so whats the chance he'll make it at Liverpool

We'll have to wait and see what Borini has to offer, that is, if the deal is finalised. No disrespect to your friend CG but while at Chelsea Borini was just a kid and he performed well enough at Roma last season (on loan from Parma) to be called into the Italian squad for the Euros. Also, not to be pedantic but Borini was signed into Chelsea's youth team andquickly forced his way into the reserves side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fabio_Borini

...not a bad goals per game ratio when you consider that 3 of his 4 Chelsea appearances were as a late sub.

What a bad signing my friend who's a chelsea fan told me he is rubbish he couldn't cut it at chelsea so whats the chance he'll make it at Liverpool

I think he will not only make it at Liverpool but excel. He is exactly the type of goal sneak Liverpool needed. Suarez can create and he can finish. He scored an amazing free kick for Swansea plus some other vital goals as well whilst on loan there. So he has the EPL experience as well, both with Chelsea and Swansea. Liverpool obviously being tight on transfer funds thanks to stupidity last season, he is about a good a buy as the club could have hoped for. I think he will go onto bigger and better things, not because he is the most naturally gifted player but because he seems to want it more than others i.e. "Carroll". The passion and heart of a player counts for a lot in football and that is something that Liverpool of all clubs should know most about.

Edited by roverslad

Liverpool are understood to be readying a bid for Arsenal winger Theo Walcott, but face stiff competition from Chelsea for the England international. Walcott has just 12 months remaining on his contract with the north London side and widespread reports in the British media are suggesting that the Gunners hierarchy is split on whether or not to cash in on the 23-year-old this summer. The player currently earns around 65,000 pounds ($100,940) a week but is said to want closer to 100,000 pounds if he is to commit his future to the club.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is determined to hang on to Walcott, who impressed with his performances for England at Euro 2012. Both The Sun and The Daily Mail report that Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is considering a 15 million pound bid for the winger who he sees as an ideal candidate for his preferred playing style.

Chelsea’s interest in Walcott has been widely documented and are expected to enter the race for the player if Liverpool make a concrete offer. On paper the Englishman known for his lightening pace has performed well for the club, contributing 11 goals and 12 assists last season, but the player’s lack of consistency has widely irked the Arsenal fan base, with the winger often being accused of drifting in and out of important games. The future of Liverpool’s Andy Carroll is looking increasingly uncertain after it emerged Sunday that the club had rejected a loan offer from the striker’s former club Newcastle.The Toon confirmed they had made an offer to bring the player back to the club where he made his name but that this has been turned down by Rodgers.

Carroll moved to Anfield for 35 million pounds in January 2011 in a deal which made him the most expensive British footballer of all time.The player has struggled to adapt to life on Merseyside, with Rodgers revealing last week that he would consider offers for the 23-year-old.The striker’s form improved toward the end of the season, earning Carroll a place in Roy Hodgson’s squad for Euro 2012.Milan, Fulham and newly-promoted West Ham are also believed to be interested in a loan deal for the forward.While Liverpool would prefer to sell the player, Carroll is unwilling to consider a permanent move away from the club and is said to be determined to be a success at the club.

QPR boss Mark Hughes has distanced himself from speculation linking Welsh forward Craig Bellamy with a switch to Loftus Road. Hughes has a longstanding relationship with Bellamy, managing the player during his time with Wales and Man City. “There has been a lot of speculation over Craig,†Hughes is quoted as saying by The Sun. “Yes I know him very well. But at the moment it is all speculation.†Hughes confirmed that the club intend to add to their squad this summer, with the former Bayern Munich and Barcelona striker desperate for the club not to be drawn into another relegation battle next season.

http://www.dailystar.com.lb/Sports/Football/2012/Jul-16/180798-liverpool-considering-bid-for-arsenals-theo-walcott.ashx#axzz20pQuSUyz

Edited by roverslad