Jonathan Aspropotamitis

mack

Spoke with Aspro's father over the weekend. 

He's very exicted with the way the squad are progressing this year & I expect he'll be with WSW for at least another couple of years before heading OS.

My one question for the week:

Was Aspro offered only a 1 year deal, or did him, his agent, and his father decide on a 1 year deal in order to make it easier for him to move OS (no transfer fee) should an offer come in?

I believe he is our, both WSW and Socceroos next Spiranovic. 2018 might be a stretch but in 2022 he'll be in the Socceroos for the WC. 

He still has moments where is composure or touch lets him down, but at his age that is completely understandable and it has never (in my memory at least) resulted in us being punished. 

If he keeps going the way he is he'll be better than Spiranovic. This kid plays with a Rolls Royce engine on him. Even at his age he reads everything around him and what is happening and wins balls with the greatest of ease.

I think Topor is benefiting more from him being there rather than the other way around.

I reckon he goes alright

I still wouldn't call him the next Spira just yet

I remember everyone getting horny over Alesi

How did that turn out?

The talent is there in football that's maybe 20% of it

From here it's about fulfilling the potential

According to most manure fans that Italian youngster was the greatest thing ever what was his name macheda where is he now?

I reckon he goes alright

How did that turn out?

According to most manure fans that Italian youngster was the greatest thing ever what was his name macheda where is he now?

I hear you about unfulfilled potential, and like most Aussies the choices he makes regarding when and where to go overseas will go a long way to determining his future, but I really think this kid can be better than Spira.

I have never seen a defender at his age who is so good at timing his tackles on players already in possession of the ball. Reading a pass and intercepting it is one thing, but the amount of times Aspro pinches the ball from people's feet is unbelievable, especially when they are coming at him with pace. It's rare even for seasoned vets to jump in like that successfully, his timing is incredible.

I reckon he goes alright

How did that turn out?

I hear you about unfulfilled potential, and like most Aussies the choices he makes regarding when and where to go overseas will go a long way to determining his future, but I really think this kid can be better than Spira.

I have never seen a defender at his age who is so good at timing his tackles on players already in possession of the ball. Reading a pass and intercepting it is one thing, but the amount of times Aspro pinches the ball from people's feet is unbelievable, especially when they are coming at him with pace. It's rare even for seasoned vets to jump in like that successfully, his timing is incredible.

and he has played alot more a-league games than Alessi has.

but agree, we shouldn't be putting too much pressure on him at the moment.

I reckon he goes alright

How did that turn out?

Simunic at Melb Knights was what you describe even in his teen years.

You're right that we shouldn't be putting pressure on the kid, and that he might not even make it at all. Lots don't. He might start getting injuries which is another thing. But normally when you play the way he does in his teens then you are a step ahead of the rest. He has risen another level from last season.

Someone mentioned Simunic with the same qualities. I also remember Viduka at Melbourne Knights when he was 18-19 years of age was unstoppable in the NSL. I hope at least Australia gets to have a world class defender and he ends up being a Wanderers product for a few years before he goes overseas.

The thing I like about Aspro is he defends good, wins headers good, stays calm good, passes the ball good, plays beyond his years good, positions himself good, is strong on the ball good, is tall good, isn't made of glass good, keeps pressure on NTS & Alberto's starting spot good, comes from the East but plays in the West good, is well spoken good, keeps himself occupied at Uni when not training good, could be a future Socceroo good, clearly listens to Popa and co good, and has a bright future good.

The thing I like about Aspro is he defends good, wins headers good, stays calm good, passes the ball good, plays beyond his years good, positions himself good, is strong on the ball good, is tall good, isn't made of glass good, keeps pressure on NTS & Alberto's starting spot good, comes from the East but plays in the West good, is well spoken good, keeps himself occupied at Uni when not training good, could be a future Socceroo good, clearly listens to Popa and co good, and has a bright future good.

Good post

• 3 weeks later...

Not going anywhere.. from smh.

Western Sydney Wanderers have secured the future of one of A-League's most promising defenders after re-signing teenager Jonathan Aspropotamitis on a two-year extension. Despite having almost six months to run on his current contract, the Wanderers wasted no time in offering the highly rated 19-year-old a new contract before rival clubs could swoop for his services.

Not going anywhere.. from smh.

Western Sydney Wanderers have secured the future of one of A-League's most promising defenders after re-signing teenager Jonathan Aspropotamitis on a two-year extension. Despite having almost six months to run on his current contract, the Wanderers wasted no time in offering the highly rated 19-year-old a new contract before rival clubs could swoop for his services.

200.gif