The Italian Football Thread

8 hours ago, Carns said:

Italy miss out on the World Cup for the first time since 1958! Massive!

Sorry to my pals here of Italian heritage.... but to that news, I say...

Onya Sweden! :hi:

PS 2006 WC is probably the only grudge I've ever held onto in my life!

Now...I'm running away...very fast. :P

13 hours ago, tardotz said:

If they had the VAR there would have been 4 penalties (2 for each side) which wouldn't have changed the final outcome. The only thing is (if we go by A-league standard) it would have added a min of 16 mins to the game.

Nah, Italy would have got the first penalty, so the others wouldn't have happened. 

Not that I'm advocating VAR at all, I hate it. Any ref who wasn't a moron would have given those penalties yesterday. It's just not true that they evened out though, Italy were worse off because they didn't get the first blatant one, everything after that is irrelevant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
14 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

Obviously a huge PR coup but I'm not sure about the football side of things. Ronaldo is 33 and on the wane, Madrid are probably gonna use the money to buy someone like Hazard or Mbappe. I think they've done a lot better out of this than Juve, in pure footballing terms.

He may be on the wane, but he scored 26 goals in 27 games in La Liga, and was the top scorer in the UCL for the sixth season in a row. He'll sell shitloads of merch and sponsorship and might be the catalyst to take them that final step to the UCL title they've wanted for so long.

Madrid will do well out of it, of course, but it's still decent business for Juve.

A few points to the above:

(1) The Champions League Obsession: Juventus have been desperate for European success. The purchase of Higuain, significant funds thrown at Pjanic, the revolution in Europe under Allegri & the older squad accumulated to have the experience in Europe. Ronaldo is just the next step in trying to achieve it.

Ronaldo is a world class player, on the wane yes, but it’s the world class player they’ve been missing. Twice now in the last two years they’ve missed something special to break down Real Madrid & in both years it has taken that world class player created that special moment to break through Juventus. Not needed in the league yes, but look at how important Higuain has been domestically.

Yes Davo, would be some feat to win the champions league with Juventus. He fits in with the winning mentality that Juve has developed.

(2) Off field reasons are huge, from the lows of calciopoli to the massive strides they’ve made since then, the club has gone to another level. The new stadium, player sales (sold at low book values not high amortized values) & champions league finishes has financially taken the club forward to an incredibly strong financial position but they want more. They want to bring the club into the upper echelons in Europe & the world, signing Ronaldo brings is the next step. Merchandise is huge but the commercial opportunities this brings the club is huge.

(3) The potential is huge but I wonder at what cost it will come? Although Juventus have been doing very well financially, conditions in Italy mean that ensuring the expenses match revenue is key (just look at AC Milan). I know that Fiat has financed part of the deal (within the Agnelli family) but player sales may need to required to ensure that balance. Talk has already been raised at selling Higuain & Rugani to meet up with Sarri at Chelsea plus a makeway May need to be Dybala. Not just from a financial perspective but purely from a tactical perspective of not being able to utilise both on the field at the same time. They’ve already worked on selling many of there promising youngsters with buy back options involved.

And from a different but important perspective.

Juventus spending over €100 million ($158m) on Cristiano Ronaldo has been followed by an Italian trade union announcing Fiat workers in Melfi will go on strike.

UPDATEDUPDATED 3 HOURS AGO

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Juve, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (FCA) and CNH Industrial (CNHI) are all owned by the holding company Exor, which is controlled by the Agnelli family.

The Serie A champions' move for the five-time Ballon d'Or winner has prompted a fierce response from the Unione Sindicale di Base (USB), which declared workers at a plant in the south of the country will down tools from July 15 until July 17.

"It is unacceptable that while FCA and CNHI workers continue to make huge economic sacrifices, the company then spends hundreds of millions of euros on the purchase of a player," a statement from the USB read.

"We are told it's a difficult moment, that we need to resort to social safety nets, waiting for the launch of new models that never arrive.

"And while the workers and their families tighten their belts more and more, the company decides to invest a lot of money on a single human resource!

Messi obsession may be behind Ronaldo's Juventus switch, says Giggs

"Is this right? It is normal for one person to earn millions, while thousands of families can't even get to the middle of the month?

"We are all employees of the same owner, but in this moment of enormous social difficulty this difference in treatment cannot and must not be accepted.

"The Fiat workers have made the company's fortune for at least three generations … and in return they have only ever received a life of misery.

"The company should invest in car models that guarantee the futures of thousands of people rather than enriching only one.

"That should be the objective, a company that puts the interests of their employees first. If it isn't, it's because they prefer the world of games, entertainment and everything else.

"For the reasons described, the Unione Sindacale di Base has declared a strike at FCA Melfi between 22:00 on Sunday July 15 and 06:00 on Tuesday July 17."

Source: Omnisport

22 hours ago, JackDoff said:

My AC Milan supporting cousins will be kicking the crap out of their Lambrettas! :rofl:

Yes, the next chapter begins under the Elliot or should I just say vulture fund. Berlusconi never had the funds to keep AC Milan at the top via spending big. What he orchestrated was criminal & he seems to escape criticism deserved from his behavior.

Under allegations of money laundering & washing money overseas, firstly promised to sell the club to an owner who had the funds to take care of the club properly before out pricing any decent owner due to his valuations. 

Secondly, sold the club to pretty much the only bidder who was so stretched financially that in borrowing from the Elliot fund, defaulted the loan by not paying a €50m payment & therefore effectively bought the club for €350m. Far short of the €1b the club was exchanged.

I feel they should be kicking someone else than just their lambretta’s :lol: 

Yes I saw that especially in the rumour stage re: Fiat

Fiat workers who have been on a wage freeze for who knows how many years, would rightly be pissed off but it’s all about accounting & inter company transactions in the end.

I see the Fiat sponsorship deal similar to what many other big teams do with sovereign funds backing them. It allows them to bring in an overvalued sponsorship on there books that is effectively all about minimizing losses & has nothing to do money being brought in via legitimate sponsorships. 

The club can’t come out & day this publicly of course :lol: 

• 3 weeks later...

Despite the outrageous increase in Juventus season ticket prices, they’ve already sold out season tickets. Interestingly enough this happened before Ronaldo was signed.

Are we surprised? They over extended themselves to bring an incredible player to the club. Now they have to figure out a way to pay for it.

• 6 months later...

20-0 farce slammed as 'insult to sport' by Italian football chief

Serie C side's whole senior squad is on strike because they aren't getting paid so they forfeited their last three games. If they'd forfeited a fourth they would have been kicked out of the comp so they fielded a 7 man starting lineup which included youth players and the massage therapist. They had an 8th player but he didn't have his rego papers until the 61st minute so he had to watch until then.

• 6 months later...

:pappoiya:

Just a quick recap, for those not in the know.

In the last few years Caligari has been a place where racism has been an ever present at games. First Muntari, Matudi, Kean & now Lukaku all faced racial chants from this crowd.

Last year, their president blamed the racism on Kean because he confronted them with a death stare when scoring the winning goal after been tormented by racial abuse during the game. The Italian federation said it was only coming from 10% of a stand, so no punishment was necessary.

Now with Lukaku. Same story. The response by Inter’s ultras to this incident (this happened with Caligari’s ultras verbally abusing Lukaku) was to support the abuse. This is ****ed up in so many ways, so many lines that you’d see in a betoota or onion piece, beyond comprehension.