The greatest footballer than the world has ever seen, Zlatan Ibrahimovic appreciation thread

Sooo.... the comments on there state that the guy is quoting only part of it, but the book apparently shows Zlatan liked Juve.

So what is it? I havent read his book yet.

Sooo.... the comments on there state that the guy is quoting only part of it, but the book apparently shows Zlatan liked Juve.

Of course Zlatan enjoyed his time at Juve, I don't think that is in question but it was more his attitude at the time of the scandal & his reaction to realization that Juve were going to play in Serie B. He was only in it for himself (surprising I know) & classified a potential spell of playing in Serie B as a career killer.

Two perspectives can be taken on this:

- Players have no loyalty to a team, just because the clubs pay them doesn't mean that they owe them anything else. He was looking to take the next step in his career & didn't think that Serie B or Juventus was the right place for him.

- The players who stuck by Juventus in those dark days are regarded as legends, not only because they secured promotion the following year but because when Juve needed them most, they did not turn there backs on the club. There was nothing saying they had to say apart from a sense of deep guided loyalty to the fans, owners & club.

In all honesty, knowing thr size of the ego of someone like Zlatan, it isn't really surprising that he made such a move.

Of course Zlatan enjoyed his time at Juve, I don't think that is in question but it was more his attitude at the time of the scandal & his reaction to realization that Juve were going to play in Serie B. He was only in it for himself (surprising I know) & classified a potential spell of playing in Serie B as a career killer.

- Players have no loyalty to a team, just because the clubs pay them doesn't mean that they owe them anything else. He was looking to take the next step in his career & didn't think that Serie B or Juventus was the right place for him.

- The players who stuck by Juventus in those dark days are regarded as legends, not only because they secured promotion the following year but because when Juve needed them most, they did not turn there backs on the club. There was nothing saying they had to say apart from a sense of deep guided loyalty to the fans, owners & club.

In all honesty, knowing thr size of the ego of someone like Zlatan, it isn't really surprising that he made such a move.

There are more than two perspectives you can take with it. He definitely isn't the first player to leave a relegated club. It's often enough that players and managers have relegation clauses in their contracts.

Often loyalty isn't something that is seen as beneficial between employers and employees. Striking a balance is rare in the current age. Football is about results and if you dont play to a certain level of effectiveness, you are often sacked, regardless of variables like playing time or management styles.

The other is that we now have the benefit of hindsight. Its easy to judge someone after the fact. What if Juventus struck financial trouble once relegated and didnt bounce back up? Yes, the players who stayed would be legends for loyalty but their own career value would be diminished. If so, his decision would have been seen as a correct move for his career.

In the past i thought that both Alonso and Torres moving from Liverpool were **** decisions. With hindsight, Torres' was crap, he was fairly rubbish at Chelsea and he went from being feared to a bit of a whatever player. Alonso on the hand made the right decisions, he has played and won the La Liga, the Bundesliga, the CL again and had a great international career.

So this just happened:

https://twitter.com/jon_legossip/status/731562781900673024

Last time I saw it used was to celebrate the passing of Cruyff in a Dutch national team game. This tweet sums it up best for me

https://twitter.com/adz77/status/731563549290549249

Not sure, but i just saw a stadium clapping?

Did something else happen?

We all applauded Andreu when he walked off at the Semi final vs Brisbane.

There are more than two perspectives you can take with it. He definitely isn't the first player to leave a relegated club. It's often enough that players and managers have relegation clauses in their contracts.

Often loyalty isn't something that is seen as beneficial between employers and employees. Striking a balance is rare in the current age. Football is about results and if you dont play to a certain level of effectiveness, you are often sacked, regardless of variables like playing time or management styles.

The other is that we now have the benefit of hindsight. Its easy to judge someone after the fact. What if Juventus struck financial trouble once relegated and didnt bounce back up? Yes, the players who stayed would be legends for loyalty but their own career value would be diminished. If so, his decision would have been seen as a correct move for his career.

In the past i thought that both Alonso and Torres moving from Liverpool were **** decisions. With hindsight, Torres' was crap, he was fairly rubbish at Chelsea and he went from being feared to a bit of a whatever player. Alonso on the hand made the right decisions, he has played and won the La Liga, the Bundesliga, the CL again and had a great international career.

And another perspective is he didn't want his name tarnished by playing with a bunch of match fixing cheats.

In bold - You don't know much about the family that owns Juve :lol:

So this just happened:https://twitter.com/jon_legossip/status/731562781900673024

Last time I saw it used was to celebrate the passing of Cruyff in a Dutch national team game. This tweet sums it up best for mehttps://twitter.com/adz77/status/731563549290549249

This is next level stuff, this is not applauding whilst a player is substituted. This is stopping the game in the tenth minute (both players from each side and referee just stopped) so the whole stadium could give the guy a standing ovation. Ridiculous! As I said the last time I saw this happen was to celebrate Cruyff's contribution to football not to blow up someone's ego.

In bold - You don't know much about the family that owns Juve :lol:

Obviously

So this just happened:https://twitter.com/jon_legossip/status/731562781900673024

Last time I saw it used was to celebrate the passing of Cruyff in a Dutch national team game. This tweet sums it up best for mehttps://twitter.com/adz77/status/731563549290549249

This is next level stuff, this is not applauding whilst a player is substituted. This is stopping the game in the tenth minute (both players from each side and referee just stopped) so the whole stadium could give the guy a standing ovation. Ridiculous! As I said the last time I saw this happen was to celebrate Cruyff's contribution to football not to blow up someone's ego.

Yeah true, but if the club wants to do it then they'll do it. Definitely blows up his ego

• 3 weeks later...

The rumour going around is that he won't officially officially sign with anyone until he passes a certain date which earns him a loyalty bonus from PSG.

Not sure when that date is, possibly the end of the month/financial year if it's true.

On the Zlatan - Juve - loyalty thing, there's another thing to take into account too, and that is whether the club deserves loyalty. If you sign for a club for certain reasons having had certain discussions with people, and then those discussions turn out to be bs and the club is dodgy then you have a right to feel betrayed.

Not saying that was Zlatan's main motivation, or that any of his individual pieces of behaviour were justified, but if you find out your club is dodgy you might not really feel much sympathy towards them. 

The rumour going around is that he won't officially officially sign with anyone until he passes a certain date which earns him a loyalty bonus from PSG.

Not sure when that date is, possibly the end of the month/financial year if it's true.

He made a joke the other day, that he intends on delaying his decision as long as possible because he likes the speculation surrounding which teams he gets linked too :lol:

On the Zlatan - Juve - loyalty thing, there's another thing to take into account too, and that is whether the club deserves loyalty. If you sign for a club for certain reasons having had certain discussions with people, and then those discussions turn out to be bs and the club is dodgy then you have a right to feel betrayed.

Not saying that was Zlatan's main motivation, or that any of his individual pieces of behaviour were justified, but if you find out your club is dodgy you might not really feel much sympathy towards them.

As I stated above, it wasn't as if the club was corrupt from president to ball boy & they were all in on it. This is far from the case. You'll find that this was very high level & not even his most trusted advises knew of his corrupt/illegal dealings. On the club being dodgy, I don't think you'd have seen the response by almost all involved in the club if they all felt betrayed. In fact it was with a great sense of loyalty & admiration for the owners (who had treated everyone so well) that everyone seemed so committed to put the corruption behind them & get Juve back to where they belonged.
  • 2 weeks later...

Bild newspaper suggests that Zlatan and Bayern are talking.

Ibra apparently has changed to adidas footwear which is interpreted as a sign pro Bayern (but could equally seen as pro United).

The player is quoted that he wants to win the CL which ain't going to happen with United this coming season.

Ancelotti has been singing the high praises of Ibra, and it is well known that the admiration is mutual.

I am not sure what to make of this, but the switch to adidas is a curious one.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

“As I said when I was in England, you’re lucky I didn’t come ten years ago, because if I did what I did at 35-years-old, imagine it if I was 25.

“Then it would have been a different story. I came there and they said I came in a wheelchair.

“All the people that talked, in the whole Premier League, I put them in a wheelchair. That’s what I did.”

• 7 months later...