Football & The Media 2015/16

Was it just me or did anyone else just see the news on 7 with WSW Jim?

There he was talking about Bernie Ibini and Syd FC then behind him on the panel in the top left corner was the ESFC Crest and a pic of Spira ( I think, didn't have glasses on) in his red and black kit...WTF???

:smurfnono:

Was it just me or did anyone else just see the news on 7 with WSW Jim?

There he was talking about Bernie Ibini and Syd FC then behind him on the panel in the top left corner was the ESFC Crest and a pic of Spira ( I think, didn't have glasses on) in his red and black kit...WTF???

:smurfnono:

Probably just another quality example of mainstream media football reporting

THE AFL has emerged with its status as king of the football codes intact after attracting a superior crowd on a night Aussie rules and soccer duked it out for the affections of Melbourne sports fans.

But only just.

On a huge night in Australia’s sporting capital on Friday, a disappointing 52,152 turned out at the MCG to watch Geelong upset Collingwood.

Across the city at Docklands 50,873 singing, screaming, chanting soccer fans sent a stern warning to AFL House that the world game is here to stay and only getting bigger.

The big and boisterous crowd that watched Melbourne Victory defeat Melbourne City in a historic Derby semi-final was one of the biggest soccer turnouts to fill Etihad Stadium.

Victory’s 3-0 triumph earns it a home grand final in Melbourne next week, adding another feather to the city’s major events cap and earning the team a crack at a third A-League championship to add to this year’s Premiers Plate.

But a number of flares ignited in and outside Etihad Stadium took some gloss off the historic night for soccer in Melbourne.

Joel Selwood and the AFL are still code kings.

Despite the lacklustre AFL crowd, with so many fans attending two matches 3.7km apart Sports Minister John Eren said Melbourne’s sports mad status was obvious.

“To think we have a blockbuster at Etihad Stadium and only a few kilometres up the road a clash between AFL heavyweights Collingwood and Geelong at the MCG,’’ he said.

“Add to that the Melbourne Rebels’ home clash against the Blues and it really is the sporting capital of the world at its brilliant best.â€

The Herald Sun this week revealed plans by soccer chiefs to make the round ball code the most popular in Australia within 20 years and the A-League bigger than AFL, NRL, cricket or rugby.

But the game’s governors still need to find a solution to the small element of feral fans who threaten the otherwise electrifying atmosphere of soccer matches in Melbourne.

A rogue group of supporters again lit flares in and outside the ground with scant regard for the safety of other spectators.

One thrown from the third tier of the stands narrowly missed hitting a ball kid facing the opposite direction.

Troublemakers risked the safety of passers-by letting off flares on the stairs from Bourke St to Etihad Stadium near Southern Cross Station more than an hour before kick-off.

Several more were let off on the concourse outside the stadium before the game and the first of at least seven ignited by fans inside the ground came from fans behind the Melbourne City goal.

The opening goal to Victory in the 17th minute was met with at least four flares including one thrown onto the ground from high in the Coventry Stand.

Last night’s MCG crowd comes despite the AFL this year working with venues to cut food prices and improve ticketing in a bid to bring supporters back to the footy.

What's this I read? "Feral fans", a "rogue" group of "troublemakers" risking the safety of passers-by? Where is the NSW riot squad when you need them most? They have a helicopter they could send south across the border, and a supply of pepper spray. Mind you, whoever threw a maritime distress signal from the upper terrace: that was moronic.

AFL fans are the most insecure collective of people I've ever come across. Who cares about who had however many people? Let them enjoy their game, let us enjoy ours.

The way they go on about safety at games is hilarious, I think they genuinely believe that people run around with flares trying to burn one another hahaha

I also like how they all try and distance themselves as far away as possible from 'soccer', yet they claim to know everything about it and how incredibly unsafe it is at games 😂

What's this I read? "Feral fans", a "rogue" group of "troublemakers" risking the safety of passers-by? Where is the NSW riot squad when you need them most? They have a helicopter they could send south across the border, and a supply of pepper spray. Mind you, whoever threw a maritime distress signal from the upper terrace: that was moronic.

Victory fans were throwing flares at City fans outside.

Victory fans were throwing flares at City fans outside.

Why am I not surprised? The VIC is home to quite of sizeable number of disturbed individuals. What I witnessed Dec 28th 2013 in Melbourne left lasting memories behind.

i always laugh at the response of afl types to any positive media coverage for us. they just pour into the comments section with....

' game is boring'

'crowd is dangerous'

'game is un-australian'

'players are soft'

or some combo of the above.

now I am a well known afl hater but never once in my life have I even read an article that focussed solely on afl let alone felt like I needed to comment on it.

its a bizarre mindset that on one hand claim to have the undisputed best game beloved by all australians but then feel the need to go and attack what you feel is a 'lesser' game at every opportunity. its just insecure and weird and I don't get it.

i always laugh at the response of afl types to any positive media coverage for us. they just pour into the comments section with....

' game is boring'

'crowd is dangerous'

'game is un-australian'

'players are soft'

now I am a well known afl hater but never once in my life have I even read an article that focussed solely on afl let alone felt like I needed to comment on it.

its a bizarre mindset that on one hand claim to have the undisputed best game beloved by all australians but then feel the need to go and attack what you feel is a 'lesser' game at every opportunity. its just insecure and weird and I don't get it.

I wish to fuuck they'd get over the " boring 0-0 " or " it takes 90mins to score 1 goal" etc. Only in their sport are you rewarded 1 point for "nearly scoring".

The AFL faithful are getting increasingly nervous. A 50k crowd for a game of wog ball in the midst of AFL season would have stirred things up a bit in Melbourne. How dare all these people be so un-Australian? Pity that there won't be a repeat performance next week as FFA can't quite get their act together when it comes to booking venues.

' game is boring'

'crowd is dangerous'

'game is un-australian'

'players are soft'

Not only are you stating the obvious but preaching to the converted. It's the other fuktard victards which need to hear it. The line that gets me the most is "the immigrants will make sure of that".. WTF.. If it wasn't for immigrants they would be still eating bangers and mash, meat & 3 veg and calamari would still be bait. Farkin redneck wonders the lot of them. I don't give a **** about their game. I don't give a **** for their bigoted ways. they can all eat sh1t n die motherfukkers...  :nono:

' game is boring'

'crowd is dangerous'

'game is un-australian'

'players are soft'

I wish to fuuck they'd get over the " boring 0-0 " or " it takes 90mins to score 1 goal" etc. Only in their sport are you rewarded 1 point for "nearly scoring".

The "miss and you get one point" thing always makes me laugh.

Considering how far apart their posts are, I always laugh when they actually have a shot at 4 posts and miss completely.

Now, that's a skill that takes a lifetime to master.

' game is boring'

'crowd is dangerous'

'game is un-australian'

'players are soft'

The "miss and you get one point" thing always makes me laugh.

Considering how far apart their posts are, I always laugh when they actually have a shot at 4 posts and miss completely.

Now, that's a skill that takes a lifetime to master.

i think it's cute the way they get a point for trying.... :ninja:

' game is boring'

'crowd is dangerous'

'game is un-australian'

'players are soft'

Not only are you stating the obvious but preaching to the converted. It's the other fuktard victards which need to hear it. The line that gets me the most is "the immigrants will make sure of that".. WTF.. If it wasn't for immigrants they would be still eating bangers and mash, meat & 3 veg and calamari would still be bait. Farkin redneck wonders the lot of them. I don't give a **** about their game. I don't give a **** for their bigoted ways. they can all eat sh1t n die motherfukkers...  :nono:

But, but - I do still eat bangers & mash and meat & 3 veg - although I do enjoy calamari!

' game is boring'

'crowd is dangerous'

'game is un-australian'

'players are soft'

To be fair, you also get a point for missing in gaelic football and hurling, both of which are sports that are also essentially unknown outside their home countries.

I guess the moral of the story is a point for missing is the basis of all insular, isolated "national" sports.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/adelaide-united/sydney-fcs-win-marred-by-allegations-of-abuse-towards-adelaide-uniteds-awer-mabil-20150509-ggy3sb.html

Sydney FC's 4-1 semi-final win over Adelaide United has been tempered by allegations from Adelaide forward Awer Mabil, who claims he was verbally abused by Sydney defender Nikola Petkovic.

Mabil came on as a substitute in  the second half and was immediately set upon by Petkovic, who was visibly goading the youngster repeatedly.

Despite scoring the winner when the two sides last met, Mabil was unable to have an impact as the Reds sought to fight their way back into the game and appeared distracted by Petkovic's approach.

Advertisement

Born to South Sudanese parents in Kakuma, in northwestern Kenya, Mabil, now 19, only arrived in Australia in 2006 as a refugee, settling in Adelaide.

Speaking after after the match to assembled reporters, the pacy forward — who has represented Australia's under-20 side eight times — said he was shocked at what the Serbian defender said to him.

"He was saying stuff that I didn't like and you don't expect that from any player. We're just playing the game and [it's] it's nothing to do with our families," he said. "We go out there to represent our families but not to abuse other people."

But Mabil said he didn't want to report anything to Football Federation Australia.

"He came and said something, but I don't care. We'll just wait for next season," he said. "Good luck to them in the finals, though. Obviously he said it to me, so I'm keeping it to me and next time we play, I'll score against him."

The Reds' forward said that what Petkovic said to him was so vile that he couldn't repeat it publicly.

"I can't say, but it was bad," he said.

When Fairfax Media asked Petkovic to comment, he denied the accusation, saying "It's not true, I didn't say anything that was like this ... It's no different to what is said every other weekend."

Petkovic subsequently released a statement through the club after the game, acknowledging words were exchanged between himself and Mabil. 

"We both said some things to each other in the heat of the moment on the pitch which sometimes happens in football," he said. "But he was the first person I shook hands with at the end of the game."

​Mabil has been one of Adelaide's most exciting players this season, regularly coming off the bench and influencing matches with his pace and direct running.

He finished the season with five goals, taking his  career tally to eight, and paused mid-season to undergo a trial with Ajax Amsterdam.

On the general issue of football being boring, I quite like the view expressed by a UK-based Guardian writer. Yes, football is boring at times, but that is part of the experience, and it's the sum of all the various parts that make the game great:

One of the best things about watching football has always been the easy access to regular draughts of unadulterated, socially acceptable boredom. Boredom has always been an essential part of the experience. To follow a team, in the true sense, is to submit willingly to great yawning stretches of boredom, that shared, bilious, tetchy nothingness that makes the moments of relief so more-ishly vivid.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/may/08/premier-league-la-liga-chelsea-barcelona-barney-ronay-column-boring-title-race-sky-money-tv