Win In China Not Enough For ACL Progression

Guest mickisnot

The club needs the break.

If 10 days allowed us to play like that, give us the offseason.

COYW.

I was thinking the same thing.

We have players in that squad who are transferring to other teams and within 10 days they summoned something from somewhere to beat that team. If there are still people on the fence about fatigue and playing schedule you'd be clutching at excuses the other way after that performance.

Most bizarre win ever. A lovely 2-0 and it's a god dam loss.

Actually you know what marron? We have been pained all season about last minute equalisers. Well how's this? A game in which we won with a heart crushing equaliser in another country.

What a way to wrap it all up.

"Season 3: The last minute equaliser season"

Like many have said, a season of what ifs for us & it seems like those 2 stonewall penalties that went for us in that Al Hilal match snubbed out any rub of the green for the rest of the season. What would have happened if when we went through to play Madrid, so many games lost by a goal what would have happened if we managed to string a few games together, what would have happened if we didn't lose key players with injury during the season, what would have happened if we got a decent playing schedule, what would have happened if the aleague refs weren't ****?

It would have been nice to get through to the next round but after some of our performance in the ACL this year, I'm not sure how we nearly sneaked through by default. In all seriousness, some of the players minds were not focused (not as bad as Mooy but still not the best mindset) & the players we know have nothing left in the tank. The sort of state the players were in, we'd get one game where we'd beat city or Brisbane but the next game we'd play terribly (MV or Antlers at home) but this is just a byproduct of a long, tough, gruelling season that won't be experienced by another Australian team for another decade or two.

It gives the players that will remain, the maximum time to rest & recuperate over the off season so to be 100% ready for next season. We will look back on this & think it a blessing in disguise. Right now we are disappointed in the fact that we won & were minutes away from going through just tells you how close & hard this group was for us. We were never favourites to go through anyway but in typical WSW spirit we fought tooth & nail to the end but just like the majority of this season, we were left asking the question "what if?"

11210123_973409789350148_948349929_n.jpg

look who liked my post of the video 

:nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

Wouldn't expect anything less from him, just waiting for a gloating post & a geography lesson

Well..

It has felt like the season has gone on for years and years... and now its finally over. 

From the beginnings in Campbelltown, to losing at Adelaide City, beating Guangzhou in the quarters, the pre season trip to Dubai, the win against Seoul, the derby loss at Allianz, the win over Al Hilal home, the amazing morning in Riyadh, to random A-league fixtures, then the club world cup.. more random aleague fixtures.. then the Asian Cup break, and then more A-League fixtures, the away win Kashima, the amazing derby loss, 2 games in 3 days, some more mid week games, more A-league games, home draw to Seoul and loss to Kashima, the final home game against Perf and an amazing win away against Guangzhou but with our heart's broken it has come to this.. 

Finally a break from the Wanderers which I think we all need

The player changes will inevitably happen.. hopefully they will be for the better and we see a different, re-energised WSW side ready to qualify for another ACL 

Until next season..

Edited by danielcarr

My heart wanted us to win, my head didn't. When Bridge scored that went out the window and every part of me wanted us to win. Jesus Christ it hurts to get bundled out the way we did but we only have ourselves to blame for that previous game we let slip. Anyway, I'm proud of what we've achieved, I'll always love this club so I'm happy. I'm feeling optimistic about next season and the opportunity for everyone to have a well earned rest.

One thing I'd like over the off season is for us to shake this magical power we have of starting a monsoon every game day, that'd be nice.

Other places and more thought needs to be applied before I put down an epitaph on our season as a whole.

Bottom line was last night the team played more or less to their potential, with the result thankfully going our way in terms of what the players and coaching staff could control. That there was an external influence on whether we progressed is partly the fault of those who played last home ACL game, and partly in the lap of the football Gods. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

No matter who stays and who goes, no matter our wins and losses over the last interminable 7-8 whatever months it's been, I will always expect the best, hope for the impossible and accept graciously the unlucky alongside so many of you here when it comes to matters WSW. Football can be a cruel mistress, and so far up until this A-League season she's given lots of reach arounds and happy endings for most of us. It ain't always been pretty or fun, but I wouldn't miss it for the world.

And a special thank you for all the Al Hilal fans for making Twitter a wonderfully funny place to hang out these last 3 or 4 hours...your butthurtedness is as stunning as the inaccuracy of Al Shamrani's spitting

The funny thing is that they seem to be obsessed with us, 

I couldn't give a flying **** about Al-Hilal or anything to do with football in Saudi Arabia, 
I would have more interest in the U10 division 3 result of the local junior afl club and hope that each kid got sausage sandwich and a can of coke after the game than those women hating peanuts in the middle east...

Considering that we were in one of the toughest groups in the history of the tournament, we were at the end of the most ridiculous, fixture packed, frequent flyer loaded, injury plagued season, we're in league that won't move fixtures to accommodate the ACL (unlike all our opponents) and each of our opponents has individual players paid more than our entire squad, we came bloody close to getting through.

We missed 2nd by a point and top by 2 points. We had the best goal difference in the group. Head to head against both GE and Kashima we had a win and a loss with a goal difference of +1. Against Seoul we had two draws and only finish behind them on away goals.

Disappointed we didn't go through (on the numbers above you'd think we did enough) but proud of the performances. Our salary cap will rise and the clueless FFA will figure out how to give A-League clubs a hand in Asia. Imagine what we'd do on a more level playing field.

Who needs a Bulut when you can have a Bridge....

I'm already having withdrawal symptoms, I need a WSW fix.

End of season meetup might cure it  :ninja:

Drinks at the BBC and progression to the Woolie for the GF may be  in order....

Manfred, make it happen..

Who needs a Bulut when you can have a Bridge....

I'm already having withdrawal symptoms, I need a WSW fix.

End of season meetup might cure it  :ninja:

Drinks at the BBC and progression to the Woolie for the GF may be  in order....

Manfred, make it happen..

In

:xnod:

Such a shame we couldn't pick up a win at home in the ACL this year. We will talk about the injury time winner being cruel but honestly, we made it so hard for ourselves after a dismal display in the second half at home v Kashima. If we won that game we were as good as qualified.

Anyway, as the old cliche goes, the bad times need to happen so we really appreciate the good. And boy have we had some good, though many of us seem to forget very quickly when they look at our present state.

Remember the faces of those you stood shoulder to shoulder with from January onwards. In pouring rain or hail, on school nights or after travelling away to support a team that was scrapping to avoid the the wooden spoon after yet another disheartening loss.

These are the true Wanderers.

The loyal committed few who would bleed for this club, this community this family. 

At least we wore black shorts....

AND WE WON!!

BLACK SHORTS TRIUMPH AGAIN!!!!

don't be so sure it was actually black shorts, could have been muddy shorts :ninja:

also, people need to realise that Kashima late goal against WSW is not what cost us, even if that game ended in a draw, we would still be out due to head to head record v Seoul, we need to win 1 of the Seoul games or even beat Kashima at home....