Sydney Stadiums Discussion (Not Parramatta)

Anyone else suffering short term deafness from that PA system or was it just in the GA section .....

No I noticed that last week, it was clear but **** it was loud

I thought this had been sorted

https://twitter.com/prydzopolis/status/792482777878831104

Hasn't been a good start to our time at spotless & ANZ

Ahhh yes. I talked to the people at the membership tent about this last night and they said it was security and not the club enforcing this, because apparently "the concrete in the bay can't support the number of people if over capacity."

Haha.

Can someone with stadium design help me here?

FCB makes a good point in the other thread, I do notice at gosford that when doing some our our jumping choreo the ground seems to shake.

**** I hope our new stadium can take it :lol:

^^^^ Completely different design up there in Gosford....

In the upper tier, it isn't that it "seems to shake" . The whole things bounces. Quite noticably.   :unsure:  :unsure:

Re the concrete strength at Spotless etc....it would be good to have someone in the know to clarify that.

I feel like if you design a stadium that can't adequately support supporters doing what supporters do, then what the **** are you doing designing stadiums?

Though I guess this country is used to complacent convictball and thugby fans, we're probably the first code to have any real support.

The upper tier there absolutely bounces....very noticeably.

Was discussed at the time of the first Season games up there.

Mainly noticeable during the Posnan, when everyone was on their feet, bouncing together...so to speak.

:unsure::unsure:

WOW

Can someone with stadium design knowledge help me here. So is the foundations not strong enough to support it as they thought people were sitting not jumping on it?

I don't want any structure I'm in to be bouncing! When we do the Poznan in the east stand at Parramatta never had that issue!

The upper tier there absolutely bounces....very noticeably.

Was discussed at the time of the first Season games up there.

Mainly noticeable during the Posnan, when everyone was on their feet, bouncing together...so to speak.

:unsure: :unsure:

WOW

Can someone with stadium design knowledge help me here. So is the foundations not strong enough to support it as they thought people were sitting not jumping on it?

I don't want any structure I'm in to be bouncing! When we do the Poznan in the east stand at Parramatta never had that issue!

Pretty sure it's a totally different design....not all solid concrete...but I'll leave that to people with building knowledge to discuss.  ;)

Anyone else suffering short term deafness from that PA system or was it just in the GA section .....

I thought this had been sortedhttps://twitter.com/prydzopolis/status/792482777878831104

Ahhh yes. I talked to the people at the membership tent about this last night and they said it was security and not the club enforcing this, because apparently "the concrete in the bay can't support the number of people if over capacity."

Haha.

FCB makes a good point in the other thread, I do notice at gosford that when doing some our our jumping choreo the ground seems to shake.

Don't worry Prydz - by the time the new Parra is finished we won't be allowed to stand up and clap let alone jump.

I thought this had been sortedhttps://twitter.com/prydzopolis/status/792482777878831104

Haha.

Don't worry Prydz - by the time the new Parra is finished we won't be allowed to stand up and clap let alone jump.

LOL- three things they'll never be able to stop, Ed,  are standing, clapping or jumping.  

Oh....or singing!  ;)

:wanderturtle:   :wanderturtle:  :wanderturtle:  :wanderturtle:  :wanderturtle:

Haha.

LOL- three things they'll never be able to stop, Ed, are standing, clapping or jumping.

Oh....or singing! ;)

:wanderturtle::wanderturtle::wanderturtle::wanderturtle::wanderturtle:

We need Kevin Bacon to save us

Haha.

LOL- three things they'll never be able to stop, Ed, are standing, clapping or jumping.

Oh....or singing! ;)

You mean we need Kevin Bacon to save our bacon?

Haha.

Oh....or singing! ;)

Footloose reference

I thought it deserved more

Haha.

Oh....or singing! ;)

:wanderturtle: :wanderturtle: :wanderturtle: :wanderturtle: :wanderturtle:

Footloose reference

I thought it deserved more

Even Footloose era Kevin Bacon couldn't save us, town hall speech or not!

Large structures are generally designed to move and flex. Large skyscrapers will often sway up to a metre at the top. It helps to reduce the chance of cracking and general damage to the structure. If they were made to be completely stiff they would be a lot more fragile and expensive.

This. For those who think concrete has no flex jump on YouTube and look up the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.

How about we stick a roof over both ends at pirtek and go back home? I'll have my old seats back and enjoy the pre game atmosphere again.

I dread three years (AT LEAST) at freakin' Soulless and we still have games at ANZ to come. How good will 12k against Victory look and sound?

Save us !!!!

Large structures are generally designed to move and flex. Large skyscrapers will often sway up to a metre at the top. It helps to reduce the chance of cracking and general damage to the structure. If they were made to be completely stiff they would be a lot more fragile and expensive.

Was about to post the same thing. If you're worried about things flexing, I advise that you don't look at the wings when on a plane. They bounce around like crazy.

No need to stress, engineers know what they're doing.

I'm watching the replay of saturdays game. The atmosphere coming through the broadcast is insane

The best thing about it?

They didn't turn up the mics like they do for Easts games to make up for lack of noise. Can you just imagine how it will sound at the new Parra, (pretty much) full enclosed with a roof covering spectators. It is going to be rocking!

Was about to post the same thing. If you're worried about things flexing, I advise that you don't look at the wings when on a plane. They bounce around like crazy.

No need to stress, engineers know what they're doing.

Thanks for the reassurance & no definitely don't look at the wings when I'm flying :lol:

Interesting about concrete, especially something that is set on the ground. I thought with the ground beneath it that it would be strong enough not to wobble!

Oh gee, this is going to be the new tactic isn't it? They are worried about the structural integrity of the structure or concrete so we will unable to stand at matches :lol: oh wait this is there excuse now isn't it :sad:

If seccos are telling you that you can't go into active bays because the bays might collapses. They are bullshitting you.

It is 99% safe.

Stadiums are designed to withstand that type of loads (jumping out and down, packed crowds).

(dead load x safe factor) + (live load x safe factor).

For huge structures expect higher safety factors.

Check this out. 

THAT is what you call wobbling.

Homebush is not home, it's just like a place you rent for a little while whilst building your new house.

Going to a game at Parra involved pre games drinks, march to the game ,game and dinner and drinks after.

Homebush is train to the ground , game and train back home.

It's just not the same but we need to put up with it to get the new ground. The most annoying thing that nothing is happening at Parra we could still be playing there.

Edited by tardotz

Homebush is not home, it's just like a place you rent for a little while whilst building your new house.

Going to a game at Parra involved pre games drinks, march to the game ,game and dinner and drinks after.

It's just not the same but we need to put up with it to get the new ground. The most annoying thing that nothing is happening at Parra we could still be playing there.

ed Zachary

and we all know 3 years will become 4 or 5

Why can't we play at Parra until the wrecking ball rolls up. It's all a crock

ed Zachary

and we all know 3 years will become 4 or 5

Why can't we play at Parra until the wrecking ball rolls up. It's all a crock

It would be impossible to play half a season at Parra and then have to move to another stadium mid season. The club can't even get right a full season move to a new stadium. They are hardly going to get it right for a half season at one and another half season at another. 

Plans are in place for demolition in the New Year so, hopefully, those plans come to fruition and we can just get this new stadium built as quickly as possible.

The Baird Govt have been fantastic getting other infrastructure started (I'm a Labour man generally), so I am hoping that serious planning is going on behind the scenes and before too long we'll be seeing progress.

I'm a Glass Half Full type of guy.

Anyone watching the vics v Wellington?

See how they have added  temp stands at etihad to bring the fans closer to the action, why can't they do that at Spotless?

Are you serious?

Anyone watching the vics v Wellington?

See how they have added  temp stands at etihad to bring the fans closer to the action, why can't they do that at Spotless?

They do - there have been temporary stands at the past 2 games - the front 4 or so rows most of the way round the ground