Sydney Stadiums Discussion (Not Parramatta)

So the scg trust is supporting a political gift in the kippax lake land which they dont own (centennial parkland) and they have no authority over to get the government to pay for a bigger new stadium so not only can they profit but also the owners of the new eq retail development who just happen to have extremely close relationships ie boss and wife with members of the trust. Never mind the links ayers harvey singo and aj all have at the new public transport light rail terminus in randwick race course and finally lets not forget the 23 million dollar footbridge we all thought was to know where that just happens now to be in a perfect spot for the light rail and new stadium wow if they did not provide such world class health and educational facilities in the state i would say they were all corrupt greedy snakes

Hahaha now the Roosters, Waratahs and esfc want a "summit"! For what? To push their own agenda?

Hey eastern suburbs clubs - how bout you go talk to the heads of your own sports and come to a standard position instead of crying foul when your mates on the trust don't get what they want!

Hopefully these idiots complain so much that the SFS now gets a renovation and ANZ gets a proper reno too,

ANZ Stadium could be the big winner in political stalemate at Moore Park

Date April 12, 2016 - 7:26PM

Michael Chammas and Brad Walter

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/anz-stadium-could-be-the-big-winner-in-political-stalemate-at-moore-park-20160412-go4qc0.html

The Roosters understood there were three potential options for Allianz. Of those options, a new build across the road at Kippax was one thing that we thought may happen, if not the second option was a modest refurbishment which we liked the idea of because it was the same as the Swans (staged refurbishment) but we were very clear that we just did not want to debate the idea of a knock down, rebuild and it was never discussed.

"It has never been flagged in any detail. The only details we have ever seen were the you-beaut architectural plans to build a big 55,000-seat stadium over the Kippax Lakes area."

One of the above articles stated that construction on Parra will start next year? Are they disassembling it piece by piece?...

Currently they are seeking approval for the demolition works and that approval is expected in October this year.  Construction won't start until next year but demolition should start this year.

Edited by Flytox

I had a half hour conversation with Stuart Ayres about the stadium strategy about 2 hours ago (which is long enough for me to forget great chunks of it).

I've met Stuart several times and I believe he is fair dinkum and does what he does for the right reasons (eg the benefit of NSW and its residents). I'll try to pass on some of the key points. Pardon the likely rambling and lack of chronological sequence. Bear in mind that I have generally agreed with the "their crazy" sentiments expressed in this thread. Now I'm not so sure.

1 Parramatta will happen with construction starting in the new year and the knockdown starting in November. Will open about this time in 2019 (May?). As others have said the tender process will ask for stadium design and construction based on the design brief currently being prepared. With I think scope for capacity over 30k.

2 the decisions made and to be made are $ based for the benefit of NSW taxpayers. They won't make decisions that will result in burdening taxpayers with the costs of unsustainable decisions.

3 eg developing/improving suburban grounds won't happen as clubs like Manly at Brookvale won't be able to operate profitably.

4 gave example of Souths who decided to go to ANZ because they would (did) go broke at Redfern. They recognised a need to change and that most of their supporters don't live near Redfern. They needed access and facilities etc to attract spectators. Now they get much larger attendance

5 why do we try to copy Melbourne? We don't! Melbourne has all their grounds at one central location we will have them spread between west central and east.

6 I mentioned most AFL clubs are only 10km from MCG. He pointed out Collingwood had 15k members and average attendance at suburban ground. Now they have 58k members and 60k average attendance.

7 also gave examples of massive attendance growth with new stadiums in SA and WA

(8 has me wondering if this growth has led to the massive financial growth and power of AFL)

9 the new light rail will link with the bridge to nowhere and the moore park precinct

10 there is plenty of other data/knowledge used to make these decisions

11 it's still possible that the SFS will only get a refurbishment

12 the current set up there can only cater effectively for about 15k with food etc and that's why they struggle with more than that

13 he is aware of this forum and told me that some regular contributors were selected to participate in the forums/focus groups that were held earlier this year

14 the new Wanderland WILL have safe standing - it's just a matter of which of 8 options is selected

Sorry it's so disjointed and poorly expressed. I know I've left out some important bits but I can't remember them clearly enough. I told Stuart he should get on the forum himself and answer our concerns.

Cheers Edinburgh...

Safe standing! Woohoo!

as for the other stuff...  we dont have west, central, east. We have central, central, east. Regardless, surely its the central options that should be focussed on. But on top of that, the east option is where the cbd is - more tot eh point the central option has sod all on terms of the precinct.

But

Safe standing!

How come it takes so long to knock down? Asbestos?

I don't think they can just push the lot over and push it into the river. Government have a lot of requirements about minimising landfill and maximising recyclability, so that likely means more of a separated approach, eg rip all plastic seats out, remove copper, separate concrete and steel.

A major one is to demolish it safely.

Cheers Edinburgh...

Safe standing! Woohoo!

as for the other stuff...  we dont have west, central, east. We have central, central, east. Regardless, surely its the central options that should be focussed on. But on top of that, the east option is where the cbd is - more tot eh point the central option has sod all on terms of the precinct.

But

Safe standing!

As far as Sydney Olympic Park is concerned a major revision of the Master Plan is underway that will activate the precinct more.  As well as that immediately adjacent to the south of the stadium is the Carter St Priority Precinct that will see a business park, residential area, 12,000 sq. m. of shopping, multi story residential buildings and hotels etc that will replace factories and warehouses.

http://www.planning.nsw.gov.au/Plans-for-Your-Area/Priority-Growth-Areas-and-Precincts/Greater-Parramatta-to-Olympic-Peninsula-Urban-Renewal-area/~/media/B8BE2FA2D3674E218A80C92DD1C10BF1.ashx

Edited by Flytox

West Coast had a massive membership waiting list. Collingwood are the biggest sporting club in Australia.

Trying to say that suddenly the Roosters, Waratahs & SFC will massively increase their crowds/memberships is stupid.

Yes he said Collingwood are now the biggest club - that was his point. They weren't before moving.

He didn't say they would get massive increases. I took his point to be that generally sport Clubs are likely to be better off.

Cheers Edinburgh...

Safe standing! Woohoo!

But

Safe standing!

My recollection is iffy but maybe West is the future Penrith or elsewhere stadium.

Collingwood were always a big club if not the biggest. You have to go back to the 80s to find an average attendance under 30000.

Yes going to the mcg has pushed them up.

It's central. Walking distance (well, for a young bloke) to their old home ground, walking distance to their clubhouse. Easy for the diaspora with the direct transport options right outside the mcg running east or west.

We simply don't have that - least of all at the SFS.

If Ayres is serious about west central east then it might be helpful if he were to clarify that. Or even mention it.

Collingwood were always a big club if not the biggest. You have to go back to the 80s to find an average attendance under 30000.

Yes going to the mcg has pushed them up.

It's central. Walking distance (well, for a young bloke) to their old home ground, walking distance to their clubhouse. Easy for the diaspora with the direct transport options right outside the mcg running east or west.

We simply don't have that - least of all at the SFS.

If Ayres is serious about west central east then it might be helpful if he were to clarify that. Or even mention it.

The lack of clarity last night is due to my recollection not what he said.

@edinburgh

Unfortunately that extensive summary still doesn't explain why Ayres is pushing so hard to knock down a stadium that no one apart from him, SCG trust and rugby seem to want

The general consensus is that Allianz doesn't need to be replaced just updated and given the cost and dramas to knock down and all the lies that have gone on leave me thinking into what the reasoning is behind it?

One of your points perhaps has further potential to answer these questions -

Fantastic tell Ayres to reveal them.

Because the way he is carrying on is that it's a crusade for his legacy to be reminded to for Alan jones

Just calling it how I see it - media hasn't painted a positive picture of the guy

I think what Edinburgh is saying is that there's a bigger picture, a master plan, that involves a state-of-the-art stadium near the cbd.

I'm not buying it, but I think that's the sales pitch.

Just a shame that:

- The majority of people in Sydney don't want it

- the only people who do what it are the people who can help his political career.

Edited by Swifty

I think what Edinburgh is saying is that there's a bigger picture, a master plan, that involves a state-of-the-art stadium near the cbd.

Just a shame that:

- the only people who do what it are the people who can help his political career.

But even better - they are meant to govern for NSW not just Sydney!! As a born and raised country boy nothing could pi$$ me off more than a polly insisting on spending money in Sydney on something that even city folk don't want!!

@edinburgh

Unfortunately that extensive summary still doesn't explain why Ayres is pushing so hard to knock down a stadium that no one apart from him, SCG trust and rugby seem to want

The general consensus is that Allianz doesn't need to be replaced just updated and given the cost and dramas to knock down and all the lies that have gone on leave me thinking into what the reasoning is behind it?

One of your points perhaps has further potential to answer these questions -

Fantastic tell Ayres to reveal them.

Because the way he is carrying on is that it's a crusade for his legacy to be reminded to for Alan jones

Just calling it how I see it - media hasn't painted a positive picture of the guy

I don't think the data is a big secret. I asked questions and got answers. I believe he was open and honest with me. He mentioned other specifics during our conversation. I just don't recall them well enough. The circumstances weren't amenable to providing more details. He also said that the information and assessments provided by experts etc support the strategy. I think the decisions are made for the right reasons I just hope they are the right ones.

You're right about the media but we know how much we can rely on them don't we!

Yes. I admit I'm not convinced about the cbd plans but maybe they are planning for the future and expect higher attendance with the other infrastructure such as light rail. The SFS certainly needs to be updated or replaced.

Just a shame that:

But even better - they are meant to govern for NSW not just Sydney!! As a born and raised country boy nothing could pi$$ me off more than a polly insisting on spending money in Sydney on something that even city folk don't want!!

Fair enough. But remember that the $ reasoning includes growing the NSW economy including increased tourism etc with flow through benefits to other parts of NSW.

http://bigsportsbreakfast.com.au/index.php?component=podcast&task=channelpodcast&Itemid=208&id=40

Interesting discussion with the Roosters CEO John Lee on BSB radio show about the proposed redevelopment of Allianz stadium, especially the points and numbers around transport infrastructure to support the movement of people into and out of stadium precinct. If you haven't listened to it. It can be found on the podcast page.

Edited by FCWanderers